Toshiba HD CRT TV Owners: Problems, Fixes, Solutions, Services....Discuss Them Here!! - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 1387 Old 09-07-2005, 05:54 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:

Originally Posted by 0brf4n0
If anyone has info on where a service menu manual can be found, please post it. I'd be very grateful.

I think I have mentioned this about 5 times already. Service manuals for the 26hf85 and 30hf85 are on Ebay for $10. Just do a search on the model numbers.I believe the 26hf15 is the same as the 26hf85.

It will give you all the correct procedures for adjusting overscan, geometry, bias, etc. It will also let you know what settings should not be touched and what the default values are. It's been an invaluable aid to me for my 30hf84. I have made quite a few adjustments via the service menu, and also had the back off the set to correct a shorted a/v board. I will probably do a slight converegnce adjustment in the future.

Definitely a good investment.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 1387 Old 09-07-2005, 10:46 PM

lennsx, did you get rid of your glow problem by turning off 1080i on your stb? Are you getting the glow when playing dvd's? I'm not. I really do love this set for playing dvd's and Sin City does look amazing on it. I just want to tone down the black level a bit when i am watching tv and playing my xbox. I just do not feel comfortable keeping the brightness level up to high.
Thanks Walter, I think I will get the service manual for the 30hf85 on ebay. If I make any changes, I will make sure I write my original settings down 1st.
post #33 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 12:51 AM

Has anyone achieved perfect geometry? I have a couple of problems:

1) I acheive perfect geometry in natural pic size, but that distorts the geometry in full pic size.

2) I don't know which settings to tweak first.

I'm not sure how to retain straight up and down lines in natural mode while keeping full mode stable. And should I tweak certain settings before others? It seems like there are settings (such as the corner ones) which are extremely sensitive. And what do you have on your screen when you adjust your geometry? Should I wait on the geometry until I get the color down first?

I don't have the money to have a professional calibrate my set so the best I'm gonna get is from my own two hands with the help of the service manual and the Avia calibration system. I should be getting both tomorrow.
post #34 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 03:42 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0brf4n0 View Post

1) I acheive perfect geometry in natural pic size, but that distorts the geometry in full pic size.

I'm not sure how to retain straight up and down lines in natural mode while keeping full mode stable. And should I tweak certain settings before others? It seems like there are settings (such as the corner ones) which are extremely sensitive. And what do you have on your screen when you adjust your geometry? Should I wait on the geometry until I get the color down first?

I don't have the money to have a professional calibrate my set so the best I'm gonna get is from my own two hands with the help of the service manual and the Avia calibration system. I should be getting both tomorrow.

Forget about what the "natural" setting looks like. You have to calibrate it for fullsize and work backwards. It takes a while but eventually you will achieve good settings. Try every SM setting and see which ones affect geometry so you are not missing out on any controls. You will get the feel for it in no time.

I hooked up my DCT6412 with a DVI-HDMI cable and the glow has disappeared. The picture looks MUCH better. Now if I can get a handle on the black level issue, I'll be set. Right now with the glow gone, the picture is definitely tolerable with brightness at 35 and contrast at 31, but no matter how high you increase the settings, you cant get rid of that "dark" quality to the picture.
post #35 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 05:04 AM

If you read the original thread there is someone on it that's having an ISF calibration done tmrw. on his set. If it tone downs the blacks, etc. then I'm going to have my cranky baby calibrated as well. Looking forward to NFL Kickoff tonight!!!!
post #36 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 06:59 AM

Quote:

What settings in the Service Menu are you modifying? I have some Geometry issues I would like to adjust but do not know what settings to change. Here are my geometry issues:

In a 4:3 image with Grey bars on the side the top 2-3 Inches are curved in. This happens more with certain darker colours like Blue.

In 4:3 image with Grey bars the Virtical line between the Grey bar and the picture will curve when bright or white images are close to the edge. This is most likely caused by blooming or something since the Brightness is at 35.

I do not notice geometry issues when in full screen as much. This is most likely caused by the image filling up the screen and my eyes not noticing the distortion. However when viewing High Def signals that broadcast commercials in 4:3 format (Edges are black) There is geometry issues that can be seen but not as noticible when the sides are grey.
post #37 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 02:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jmain View Post

What settings in the Service Menu are you modifying? I have some Geometry issues I would like to adjust but do not know what settings to change. Here are my geometry issues:

In a 4:3 image with Grey bars on the side the top 2-3 Inches are curved in. This happens more with certain darker colours like Blue.

In 4:3 image with Grey bars the Virtical line between the Grey bar and the picture will curve when bright or white images are close to the edge. This is most likely caused by blooming or something since the Brightness is at 35.

I do not notice geometry issues when in full screen as much. This is most likely caused by the image filling up the screen and my eyes not noticing the distortion. However when viewing High Def signals that broadcast commercials in 4:3 format (Edges are black) There is geometry issues that can be seen but not as noticible when the sides are grey.

Turn SVM off first. That will blur the edges and reduce a lot of tiny geometry inconsistency. Plus it's what everyone on the web recommends for other reason, like keeping your tube from dying early. Then you have to spend a lot of time playing around with the settings yourself...even though I haven't recieved mine yet, I recommend getting a calibration disc like Avia which will display geometry lines so you can figure out exactly what you need to tune. Unless there is a way to display those lines without a disc....I heard some other Toshiba's can access them just by pressing TV/Video while in Service Mode.
post #38 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 03:38 PM

Possible problem with my 30HF85

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Within the past 3 1/2 weeks my 30HF85 displayed the following problem twice while turning on this TV set. When powering up the TV, the picture screen displayed two double pictures and then the picture will roll at the same time.

If I turn off my set and power it up again, the picture is normal and the problem goes away. So far, this has only happened on my HDMI feed through my Dish Network 811 tuner.

I'am not sure if this is a TV problem or my satellite receiver.

Since my 30 day return policy expired on 8/23/2005, should I ask for a new placement 30HF85 or have a technician look at my TV.

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated,

Thanks,
Randy
Millbrae, Ca
post #39 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 06:08 PM

These are the same symptoms I was experiencing with my set on component with 480i and 480p input. My a/v board was beginning to short to the chassis, I finally inserted strips of rubber tape under the mounting points and it seems to have done the trick.

The a/v board with the hdmi board mounts to the back of the set for support. Try tapping on the plastic around the inputs or pressing on it. You might also rock the group of cables a bit. Watch to see if the picture begins to flicker or jump.

You may also have a loose HDMI comnnector. Wiggle the cable to see if you can duplicate what you are describing.
post #40 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 07:59 PM

waltchan and Nonnie,

I'll try your suggestions tomorrow. Nonnie, is it possible to take a picture of your tapping procedure around the a/v board?

Thanks for suggestions,
Randy
Millbrae, Ca
post #41 of 1387 Old 09-08-2005, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nonnie View Post

These are the same symptoms I was experiencing with my set on component with 480i and 480p input. My a/v board was beginning to short to the chassis, I finally inserted strips of rubber tape under the mounting points and it seems to have done the trick.

The a/v board with the hdmi board mounts to the back of the set for support. Try tapping on the plastic around the inputs or pressing on it. You might also rock the group of cables a bit. Watch to see if the picture begins to flicker or jump.

You may also have a loose HDMI comnnector. Wiggle the cable to see if you can duplicate what you are describing.

if you have to tap your set to get it working correctly, just return it.
post #42 of 1387 Old 09-09-2005, 04:46 AM

Has anyone been able to correct the whites brightening the black around it? I just calibrated my set using the Avia disc so I don't really want to mess with anything, but if I could just get rid of that problem I'd be set.

Also, Buyer Beware, I would stay clear of getting the service manual off ebay. It doesn't tell you anything a caveman couldn't figure out; plus it leaves out a lot of explanation for certain settings. It only talked about 10-15 settings overall (out of 60) and 75% of the manual was dedicated to schematics of the TV (I'm assuming you're not gonna be taking it apart). Actually, when I think about it, only 3 pages out of the 68 were somewhat useful. The manual is so useless it makes me think the person who recommended it is the person selling it. All you ever need to know to adjust your TV is what's already been said: turn volume down to 0, hold down volume button on the set, and hold down the 9 button on the remote.

I really recommend the Avia calibrating system though. My DVDs look SO much better. I have yet to acheive perfect geometry but that will come with time.
post #43 of 1387 Old 09-09-2005, 04:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennsx View Post

Damn, sorry to hear that. Every DVD I throw at this TV plays perfectly. I watch them via my newer PS2 (the slim one), using the basic Sony brand PS2 component cables, with Progressive Scan on and the display at 540p (NOT 1080i, although when I do switch back and forth I honestly see no difference, so why not just keep it at 540p, no?) Sin City looked fantastic - going to rent Episode II to REALLY see this TV crank!

I'd invest in the Star Wars Trilogy DVDs to see what your set it made of. Even though they're 30 years old it still beats some of the special effects of late. Plus with DVD quality you can't lose

Episode III comes out in November; *that* should be impressive.
post #44 of 1387 Old 09-09-2005, 01:35 PM

Quote:

Has anyone been able to correct the whites brightening the black around it? I just calibrated my set using the Avia disc so I don't really want to mess with anything, but if I could just get rid of that problem I'd be set.

Aside from the glow issue, this was my biggest problem and contributed materially to my decision to return the set. It was most obvious when viewing the guide/menus from my cable box - my provider/box (Comcast using Motorola HD boxes) uses a white font with a black shadow around the letters, and if the brightness was set to anything above 10 or 15, the white from the letters would start to bleed into the black shadow, at high settings making the letters totally blurred rather than appearing sharper as intended.
post #45 of 1387 Old 09-10-2005, 07:11 PM

Where is the easiest place to find these manuals if they are not on eBay? Can't seem to find one for my 32AF45 (and/or 27AF45)?
post #46 of 1387 Old 09-10-2005, 09:27 PM

Hey guys, I'm having a slight problem with my new 26HF85. I have a Rogers Digital Cable box in one component input and my PS2 in the other. I do notice the white glow that others have mentioned, but only when the cable box is turned off (no picture on screen). When the box is turned on, I can't see the glow, even during the occasional black screens between commercials and whatnot. Anyways, that's not my problem.

My problem is with 480i signals going in the component inputs, because the screen occasionally (anywhere between 2 to 20 times a minute, seems totally random) jumps about a cm upwards and then back into the proper position about 3 times really fast. To put it simply, the screen occasionally shakes. It's really a non-issue for my cable box, as all my SD channels are upscaled to 480p and the HD channels are of course at 1080i. The screen shake never, ever happens at 480p, 540p, 720p or 1080i. It only happens when the signal is 480i.

As you can probably guess, this is a problem for my PS2, as many games (included the OS menu) are run at 480i. I've got a seperate S-Video hooked up, and I switch between it and the component cables as each game requires, so it isn't a big enough deal to have to go through the hassle of calling Toshiba, and I know if I can just hold out for a bit more, the PS3 should have an option to output at 1080i at all times anyways (at least I hope, it's relatively simple to build an upscaler for old games into a new console, isn't it?). Other than this small annoyance, the TV is fantastic.

Now I know the PS2 doesn't have an option like the Xbox where you can select an output resolution, but is there any other way this can be remedied? Is this a problem anyone else experiences with their set?

Thanks for any help or info guys. I'm loving this wonderfully priced set!
post #47 of 1387 Old 09-10-2005, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Heian-kyo View Post

Hey guys, I'm having a slight problem with my new 26HF85. I have a Rogers Digital Cable box in one component input and my PS2 in the other. I do notice the white glow that others have mentioned, but only when the cable box is turned off (no picture on screen). When the box is turned on, I can't see the glow, even during the occasional black screens between commercials and whatnot. Anyways, that's not my problem.

My problem is with 480i signals going in the component inputs, because the screen occasionally (anywhere between 2 to 20 times a minute, seems totally random) jumps about a cm upwards and then back into the proper position about 3 times really fast. To put it simply, the screen occasionally shakes. It's really a non-issue for my cable box, as all my SD channels are upscaled to 480p and the HD channels are of course at 1080i. The screen shake never, ever happens at 480p, 540p, 720p or 1080i. It only happens when the signal is 480i.

As you can probably guess, this is a problem for my PS2, as many games (included the OS menu) are run at 480i. I've got a seperate S-Video hooked up, and I switch between it and the component cables as each game requires, so it isn't a big enough deal to have to go through the hassle of calling Toshiba, and I know if I can just hold out for a bit more, the PS3 should have an option to output at 1080i at all times anyways (at least I hope, it's relatively simple to build an upscaler for old games into a new console, isn't it?). Other than this small annoyance, the TV is fantastic.

Now I know the PS2 doesn't have an option like the Xbox where you can select an output resolution, but is there any other way this can be remedied? Is this a problem anyone else experiences with their set?

Thanks for any help or info guys. I'm loving this wonderfully priced set!

Which games run at 480i? You're talking about all the games that aren't progressive compatible?

If you mean this, then I don't know what the fix would be...my set is fine when I run games that aren't programmed for 480p or 1080i. I do know that certain games have different center screen values, but I don't think that would help you...
post #48 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 03:49 AM

Hmmm...I was watching The Incredibles tonight and noticed that Mr. Incredible's hair glows a lot. Actually so does most of the movie. It's noticable if you're looking for it but if you're just casually watching you could miss it.

Has anyone who's watched this movie on their TV noticed this? There is no glow when watching non-animated movies though. Only for the super bright colors. Hopefully it's just my set since I have a lifetime return policy from Costco.
post #49 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 08:08 AM

Yellowish and bluish color's seen on screen what does mean????? 30HF85

--------------------------------------------------------------------------------

Yellowish and bluish color's seen on screen what does mean?????

I bought this tv a few month ago. toshiba 30HF85

Because the tv is in widescreen I can see the slight yellowish and bluish color's on the side's where 4:3 pic is not. I seem to see this color's only after a while when the tv been on may a couple hours when playing my ps2 on. It seems only to do it when playing games. The thing is I don't know if it does it during reg tv programming cause I only use it for games.

Also the those color's come and seem to fill the entire side bars where the game does not fill the full screen.

Is it doing this because I play my game at 4:3? should I sretch image to 16:9? To save my tv or what? My tv can put the image at 4: or 16:9 if I want. While in game I don't see this problem at all or on reg tv I'm pretty sure. It's only when the image is set to 4:3 I see this. Who know's it might do this during gamming too but because there's so many other color's on screen I might not notice it. But he thing is it don't do this all the time.

You know if they would of the those side bar black instead of a light gray I would of never of notied it.

What should I do can't return it so don't suggest it. Why is it doing this?
post #50 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 12:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post

Some owners have reported color glow spots before, not just you alone. So far, nobody has any way to fix it. Many guess that there may be some electrical problem in the TV. Contact Toshiba and have a tech to inspect your TV as soon as possible. Your TV has a 1 year labor and parts warranty. Good luck.

Will they come to my home? I don't really feel like bring this heavy thing to them or where ever. Or might they charge me a little fee to come to the house.

The way you worded it seems like your saying do this ASAP I'm wondering why, will it just get worse and I'll see the yellowish and bluish more more with time? Cause if they stay as they are now it's not that bad.

But if your saying there just going to get worse then I might just call them. Could they get worse what are the odd's?
post #51 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 01:12 PM

Well okay I think will call. Is this problem fixable though? I want my tv working 100% like in the begining. Is this a totally fixable problem? What do you think they will do fix/replace or just adjust?

What I'm worried about is that they say we can't really do anything about it.
Thay would really piss me off, I want the TV I paid for working 100% like it suppose too. Or give me a new one but that won't happen.
post #52 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 01:39 PM

Quote:

Which games run at 480i? You're talking about all the games that aren't progressive compatible?

Yup, all the games that don't have a progressive scan mode. Also the PS2 OS menu where you can look at your memory card contents and whatnot. All that inputs at normal 480i (Sony underestimated HD tech when the PS2 launched), and all that stuff shakes the screen intermitently. Even for games that are part 480i, part HD, like GT4, where only the races are HD and the menu screens are all 480i, the screen shakes at the menus but is perfectly fine during races.

Quote:

If you mean this, then I don't know what the fix would be...my set is fine when I run games that aren't programmed for 480p or 1080i. I do know that certain games have different center screen values, but I don't think that would help you...

So everything from your PS2 works fine on your set, be it progressive scan modes or just the normal stuff like the OS menu? Damn... I thought this was a common problem with component inputs and 480i... I still have a couple weeks to exchange my set for a new one at Future Shop (where I purchased it), do you think I should?

Can anyone else with a PS2 hooked up to their 26, 30 or 34HF85 confirm or deny whether or not their screen shakes as well?
post #53 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 02:55 PM

Quote:

It's actually a hard fix, but it's definitely repairable. There's no 100% guarantee that it will work like new in the beginning. Sometimes a tech messes up with people's TVs. I definitely recommend finding a tech who works both on Orion-made and Toshiba-made TVs at the same time, not just work strictly on Toshiba-made TVs only. Before you do that, contact Toshiba first. Let me know how it goes.

Explain, why is it a hard fix? what would they have to do?

By the way I'm trying to myself in the repairmen shoes he comes over and looks at my tv I have to show him those problems right. So I'm looking at tv in 4:3 with the gray bars on the on sides and I don't see it. It's seems to show only when I play my ps2 in 4:3 format then in the gray bars I will see a slight bluish/yellowish in the gray bars. If I put my game in 16:9 then I still see it in full screen but you really have to look hard. Even in the gray bars it's not always present either so it's very mild. I think I better just I wait to see if it gets worse cause now the tv has been on for a while and it has not come back yet. If I bring my tv somewhere I bet it won't it when they look at it so I'D better wait till it does it more times than not.

I will say other than that problem I am very satsfied with tv. I had thought about buying to HD 30'' sony instead back then but it was like 200 more and that would have put me over the 1000$ Almost bought a samsung too but went with the tosiba instead cause I always thought samsung was cheap crap I still think it is too.
post #54 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 04:08 PM

In the componet imput.

Are the /2630/34HF85 seires less buggy than the HF84 series you think? It would seem like cause more people seem to talk about the HF84 series.
post #55 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 04:40 PM

Quote:

So, when you watch TV over the air, you don't see any glow spots, right? If so, then the component input board is maybe at fault.

I think they both are about the same quality, comparing the 26HF84/30HF84 and 26HF85/30HF85 together. The 34HF84 is a different story here. It was made by Toshiba, and it's a far cry to the 34HF85 in terms of quality and workmanship.

So 85 series is better than 84 series your saying?

What does glow spots come from anyway? Why do they suddenly appear like that? What leads to glow spots?
post #56 of 1387 Old 09-11-2005, 09:15 PM

I have the same problem as you Heian-kyo with my ps2 and when the game is in in 480p there's absolutly no problem at all. I've even tried with my progressive scan dvd player and it's the same thing: when i turn progressive scan off it goes shaky and when prog is on it's all good. I'll call the tech.
post #57 of 1387 Old 09-12-2005, 03:40 PM

I'm thinking of buying the 34HF85 and have been seeing all of these negative things about it. Is the bad picture quality noticable to a casual watcher? I really like the price ($789) and size, and in the store, the picture looked great. OT but, if I was to get this TV, would I be able to connect an Xbox 360 w/Component cables to this TV and the games be in HD? Or do I need something else as well? Thanks for any help.
post #58 of 1387 Old 09-12-2005, 03:55 PM

I wouldn't recommend buying the Toshiba 34hf85. I purchased one on 9/1 and returned it on 9/10. I had a lot of picture quality issues right out of the box. There was yellow discoloration in both of the top corners. When watching Hi-Def programs there was a bright glow across the top of the screen.The picture had a severe tilt to it and even after I maxed out the adjustments it was still off. I swapped it out for a Sony and what a difference.
post #59 of 1387 Old 09-12-2005, 06:57 PM

I gave up on the 34HF85. After two TVs, I did not want to risk a hernia returning it again. I am causal watcher but the picture quality was just lousy. It did not matter whether it was HD, DVD or XBox. It just plain stunk - lines, flashes, picture roll. The store was fairly suprised to see me come back twice. They feel that Toshiba's has (or had) excellent quality. I spent roughly double and got a 37" Panasonic plasma. I have to say it is an excellent picture with no problems.
post #60 of 1387 Old 09-12-2005, 07:44 PM

I regret what I said about my tv the 30HF85. I played other games and did not see the yellish at all. I had my wife look at the game that I thought it had glow spots and she does not see it she says I'm trying to hard to look for something that's not there, I admit I do that sometimes. Theres seems just ever so slightly to me but when I but in other games I can't locate the spot at all I think it's just that game.

I really like this tv alot and the price was right. Also what I like about is they put the speakers under the screen and not on the sides like the latest trend is. I don't like tv's that do that. It just don't look as good. I like the least plastic molding as possilbe the less molding the more my tv screen looks big. My tv on the back says made in march of 2005. So it's pretty recent. Plus I've had it for like 3 months at least. The unit is compact well it looks like it compared to the sony 30'' widescreen and good 200$ cheaper. I'm very happy with this purchase after all.

Also the picture looks great when I was at bestbuy they had alot of them lined with HD programming up side by side mine had the best crt picture sony's was a little better but by a very small margin in my opinion. But mine looked better than 3 or 4 other brands.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page