Toshiba HD CRT TV Owners: Problems, Fixes, Solutions, Services....Discuss Them Here!! - Page 3 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #61 of 1387 Old 09-13-2005, 04:46 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post

WHAT, the Toshiba 34HF85 can be bought for only $789. Does it include shipping and tax? The last year 34HF84 retailed for $1,399.99. Talk about a huge deflation here.

Yeah off of Amazon. Thats without shipping, but like I said, thats a really good price.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #62 of 1387 Old 09-14-2005, 05:11 AM

Yes, the TV itself is $788.00 + $100.00 for shipping = $888.00 Considering I paid $1200.00 plus tax on mine at Sears (without delivery) that kinda pisses me off. Ah, I guess good things come to those who wait.....
post #63 of 1387 Old 09-14-2005, 07:26 AM

34HF85 => $889 delivered from Amazon
34HF84 => $899 refurbished from Overstock

I'm still seriously considering spending more for a refurbished last years 34HF84 over a brand new one. That should tell you something.

No returns to either vendor (unlike BestBuy, etc)
90 day warranty on refurbished

I noticed the 34HF85 is now coming from Amazon rather than their 3rd party affiliate Office Depot. Office Depot is $1 more and IIRC, more shipping.

Amazon also has some mistakes in their descriptions, claiming 2 HDMI ports on the 34HF85. Even Crutchfield has mistakes in their latest catalog, claiming 2 HDMI ports on the 34HFX85 which is incorrect.

Note: Overstock has only 1 34HFX84 left for $1222.
post #64 of 1387 Old 09-14-2005, 07:42 AM

I've for 7 days lfet to decide if i'm gonna take my 30HF85 back and right now it looks like it will be going back.

SD picture is fine, I have no problem at all with it. HD is sooooo dark, I have the brightness cranked up to 42/50 and it helps the darkness but the whites are so bright now that they glow, there is no happy medium there. The color isn't to bad but I just don't see the crisp clear picture that I'm used to watching HD on my other tube.

I'm thinking of the 34HFX85 because it is the cinema series and does have a better picture on it but it's still a toshiba...decisions decisions.
post #65 of 1387 Old 09-14-2005, 09:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan View Post

I've for 7 days lfet to decide if i'm gonna take my 30HF85 back and right now it looks like it will be going back.

SD picture is fine, I have no problem at all with it. HD is sooooo dark, I have the brightness cranked up to 42/50 and it helps the darkness but the whites are so bright now that they glow, there is no happy medium there. The color isn't to bad but I just don't see the crisp clear picture that I'm used to watching HD on my other tube.

I'm thinking of the 34HFX85 because it is the cinema series and does have a better picture on it but it's still a toshiba...decisions decisions.

I bought a 34HF85 for my upstairs family room at Sears and it was delivered on Friday. I spent most of the weekend and part of Monday playing with the settings trying to get a decent HD picture. I never could. Like yours, the SD was fine, even looked decent using 480p component output from my sat receiver and Theater Wide to fill the screen but the HD was hopeless. It is the worst picture I have ever seen on an HD TV. Shame on Toshiba for having Orion build and selling a POS like this with their name on it. I had one of the first 35 inch SD Toshibas and watched it for 9 years with no problems.

I called Sears for a return and they are coming by to pick it up this Friday as I am too old and my back is too shot to be moving this big hunk of junk around. In the meantime I bought a 42 inch Samsung DLP on sale at Best Buy which will be delivered next Tuesday. It was half again as expensive but with a four year extended warranty which I plan on purchasing through WarrantybyNet, I should have nothing to worry about for a while except the occasional warranty call . I have had a Sammy HLN DLP downstairs for two years and have had three warranty calls on it already, a color wheel, a light engine, and the analog 480i/480p video inputs going capute. But the HD and DVD picture via HDMI/DVI is great when the TV is working which is most of the time!
post #66 of 1387 Old 09-14-2005, 09:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oilfan View Post

you do know if you go in the service menu you can crank up the max for brightness/contrast even higher...
post #67 of 1387 Old 09-15-2005, 05:15 AM

How?
post #68 of 1387 Old 09-15-2005, 08:11 AM

Quoted: 96 Post(s)
Liked: 65
To rid my set of the 'white glow' I set my OTA tuner to 720p instead of 1080i. Does anybody know yet if the TV is upconverting to 1080i or downcoverting to 540p? I asked the guy at sears when I went in to get my price guarentee rebate and of course he was clueless.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #69 of 1387 Old 09-15-2005, 07:17 PM

I have been working with the local cable TV providers for 3 days now trying to trouble shoot the problem I am having with the 34HF85

When the signal is auto detected by the HD cable box as 1080i resolution I get horizontal shadow type lines that kind of follow the objects on the screen. It looks like others are having the same problem. I have taken 1 tv back to BB because we felt it was a problem with the specific TV. Well the new one does the same thing. I am taking it back and shopping for a new TV. Bummer. The Toshiba was perfect because I was able to get a 34" in my entertainment center cabinet. Now I will have to buy a smaller screen Sony I guess.
post #70 of 1387 Old 09-16-2005, 09:56 AM

Weekendtoy, In my strong opinion the TV is STILL giving a 1080i signal, even if you set the TV to 720p and/or have 1080i OFF. The reason for this is because the TV already changes all the signals to 1080i EVEN if you don't have a STB! Some others disagree with me, though, but oh well. And besides, I see no difference in PQ (picture quality) with 1080i on or off. So to me, that completely solves the white glow issue. And about the weird white banding issue that others are having, I too had the same issue but it was only through the HDMI connection. My TV plays perfectly through Component. Good luck!
post #71 of 1387 Old 09-16-2005, 07:33 PM

Ok I saw it was mentioned earlier in the thread but no one really posted an answer to it. I recently purchased a 30HF85 and noticed the next day that anything displaying a 480i picture (except cable) caused the picture to shake or hop every few seconds. Anything displayed in any kind of progressive scan (and 1080i, as far as I can tell) displays perfectly fine and looks great. But seeing as how most PS2 games and a good chunk of Xbox games are 480i only, the shaking is extremely annoying. Thinking it was just my TV, I took it tonight to swap it for another one. I just got home with the new one, plugged it up to test it out and it's doing the same exact thing. At this point, I'm not even sure what it could possibly be, the TV or maybe my PS2/Xbox. I doubt it could be the PS2/Xbox because progscan stuff runs fine, but that leads me to think it's a setting somewhere on the TV (or in the service menu). I'm at my wit's end with this and would really not like to have to make a third trip to get a different TV, so any tips or anything is appreciated.
post #72 of 1387 Old 09-17-2005, 09:33 AM

Talpacc, did you try turning off some of the settings , 1080i, 720p in the xbox menu and just enabling 480 on it? My friend had this problem with a Samsung, and thats how he got around it. I am not having any problems playing my xbox, but i use better component cables than the ones that came with the high def pack.

Obr4fn0, can you explain how, step by step, that you turned the bright/contrast level up?
It will be greatly appreciated on this forum.
post #73 of 1387 Old 09-17-2005, 10:16 AM

My screen shakes as well when playing Xbox games, even the ones that support progressive mode. At first I thought maybe it's those high-def Xbox cables but I tried them on my progressive scan DVD player and the PQ is nice, no shaking or anything like that. Cable also is working fine.
post #74 of 1387 Old 09-17-2005, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Talpacc View Post

Ok I saw it was mentioned earlier in the thread but no one really posted an answer to it. I recently purchased a 30HF85 and noticed the next day that anything displaying a 480i picture (except cable) caused the picture to shake or hop every few seconds. Anything displayed in any kind of progressive scan (and 1080i, as far as I can tell) displays perfectly fine and looks great. But seeing as how most PS2 games and a good chunk of Xbox games are 480i only, the shaking is extremely annoying. Thinking it was just my TV, I took it tonight to swap it for another one. I just got home with the new one, plugged it up to test it out and it's doing the same exact thing. At this point, I'm not even sure what it could possibly be, the TV or maybe my PS2/Xbox. I doubt it could be the PS2/Xbox because progscan stuff runs fine, but that leads me to think it's a setting somewhere on the TV (or in the service menu). I'm at my wit's end with this and would really not like to have to make a third trip to get a different TV, so any tips or anything is appreciated.

I have the same problem, and I was planning on taking my 26HF85 back to get a new one this weekend, but this is exactly what I was afraid of; lugging the thing all the way there and bringing home a new one just to get the same exact problem. I'm really wondering if I should bother taking it back? Do you guys here think it's worth it getting a replacement at least once? Could it be that a very high percentage of these Toshiba's have this glitch in their component boards?

As for your Xbox games Talpacc, I believe in the OS menu (boot it up with no game inside) there is an option to change your output resolution. I've heard that when you do that (say change it to 480p, 720p or 1080i) the shaking should go away, even for your 480i Xbox games. Unfortunately, the PS2 doesn't have this feature, and my only hope (if I'm stuck with this problem for good) is that the PS3 does.

I'd really appreciate some advice on what to do.
post #75 of 1387 Old 09-17-2005, 12:42 PM

Quote:

I would say only about 40% of the Toshiba 26HF85s and 30HF85s out there will ever have the 480i component input problem. It's actually kind of a large percentage. I would say take it back and get a replacement. If it still does the same thing, then keep it, and then call Toshiba service instead for a board replacement. It's really a 50-50 chance that you may or may not get a TV with input problems.

Thanks for the info and advice man, I'll try taking it back within the next couple of days and then I'll post whether or not I got a proper set.
post #76 of 1387 Old 09-17-2005, 03:02 PM

Quote:

I would say only about 40% of the Toshiba 26HF85s and 30HF85s out there will ever have the 480i component input problem. It's actually kind of a large percentage. I would say take it back and get a replacement. If it still does the same thing, then keep it, and then call Toshiba service instead for a board replacement. It's really a 50-50 chance that you may or may not get a TV with input problems.

That's a huge assumption you're making. Have you forgotten about the people who *are* happy with their sets, and who don't come online to rave about it? Remember, the only people who post are the ones with problems with their Toshibas. It's not the other way around.
post #77 of 1387 Old 09-17-2005, 07:34 PM

Quote:

To go into the service menu (this only works on Orion-made Toshiba TVs as well as all the other Orion's off-brand TVs):

Turn the volume all the way down to 0. Press and hold the TV's front panel volume down button, and then press and hold the remote's "9" button for about three seconds. Then, the service mode will appear. Change the items by pressing the channel button up or down. Change the values for each item by pressing the volume button up or down. Press "6" instead of "9" for the designer mode. Press "1" instead of "9" to reset the TV settings, but not the service settings. Make sure you copy down all the original service settings on a separate piece of paper before you change the values.

I just wondering about these settings your talking about should I adjust them or something? or leave these adjustments alone?

I take it if they did not mention anything in the manual about this secret menu that the maker probably did not want the public to mess with them?

Is there any settings in there you that could remove glowspots? if so which settings would do that?
post #78 of 1387 Old 09-18-2005, 09:09 AM

Quote:

You can tweak or adjust the settings at anytime as long as you copy down the original values on a separate piece of paper before you change the values. You have to search very hard to find the setting that is possible to reduce the glowspots. This is not an easy job, actually. On my new Orion FTDV2004 20" TV/DVD/VCR (yes, I did buy one two weeks ago at Wal-Mart because this is the last Orion brand product Orion will ever produce), there are red, blue, green, and yellow settings that you can adjust at different locations on the screen. My Orion 20" TV/DVD/VCR may not have as many service menu settings as your Toshiba 30HF85, but the service menu in my Orion is pretty much similar in the Orion-built Toshiba HDTVs.

Well what I'm afraid of is screwing something up and making worse.
How do I know it won't make it worse. Or any adjustmensts won't make any diff.
post #79 of 1387 Old 09-20-2005, 11:09 AM

I got the service manual for the 30hf85 even though I have a 34hf85. I hope there is not much of a difference. This manual is not easy to use. I can use some help here. All I want to do is make the black level a bit lighter. Should I just play with the white balance and contrast controls to do it? There is also a Bright Cent level I can change. All the other settings look to scary to play with.
I might just wait till Xmas and have my girlfriend get me a video tech guy for a present. LOL
post #80 of 1387 Old 09-20-2005, 02:44 PM

I have a Toshiba 30HF84 that has given me no problems until I recently switched from a regular digital cable set top box to a HD set top box. The HD channels look awesome, but now the standard definition channels look terrible. They never looked this bad with the old digital cable box.

Is there anything I can do to fix this?

Thanks,

Joe
post #81 of 1387 Old 09-21-2005, 02:56 AM

I'm trying to play this game, Gran Turismo 4, which supports 1080i mode (although it's a non standard 1080i signal).

Usually when I play a DVD or PS2 game in progressive scan (480p), when I go to the TV menu, I can switch between a 540p upscale conversion or a 1080i upscale conversion and it's obvious (the TV switches modes like a computer monitor). However, when I play GT4 using 1080i mode, and try switching from 540p to 1080i and backwards via the TV menu, nothing happens. Does my Toshiba not read the 1080i signal from GT4, or is it moreso the problem of it not being able to downconvert 1080i to 540p (so it just stays at 1080i and doesn't change resolutions despite the menu changes)?

Any help?
post #82 of 1387 Old 09-21-2005, 11:32 AM

Here's a weird issue which I'd like to throw out to you guys for your suggestions...

I have a new setup Motorola DCT6412, Comcast, Toshiba 26HL84 connected via component input. I'm having an issue on only 1 digital channel: during SD show it looks normal, but during HD show it looks completely blue...totally saturated with blue!

My other HD channels look great, so it's a mystery: I've swapped out cables, the DCT box, and my friends in the same area don't seem to have the issue.

It's almost like on this 1 channel, the 1080i sync messes up the blue.

Got the set at Costco, so I could return for another if you guys think it might help! I'm going to try a DVI-HDMI cable into my set to see if that helps.

Any help/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated!

Nicholas
post #83 of 1387 Old 09-21-2005, 05:25 PM

Whoops! Thanks for the catch, waltchan...my set is a Toshiba 26HF15.
post #84 of 1387 Old 09-21-2005, 08:50 PM

I was having the same issue tonight, as before: the problem is only on one particular cable channel and only when that channel is in HD...then the colors are 90% blue, 10% other colors.

I swapped the component cables to the other CVI input: same issue.

Then I switched to the HDMI input and the problem went away! Martha Stewart no longer looks like Mrs. Papa Smurf.

Also gone is another more subtle but annoying issue: a flickering of the blacks on the screen when the image on screen was moving (e.g. people walking down the street). It was kind of like watching someone messing around with the contrast control, cranking it way up and down quickly. So 2 issues gone by going to the HDMI input.

I'm hoping that this is just a defect in this partucular unit, so I'm going to return for a new one (it's only a week old).

Next stop Costco!
post #85 of 1387 Old 09-22-2005, 10:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 0brf4n0 View Post

I'm trying to play this game, Gran Turismo 4, which supports 1080i mode (although it's a non standard 1080i signal).

Usually when I play a DVD or PS2 game in progressive scan (480p), when I go to the TV menu, I can switch between a 540p upscale conversion or a 1080i upscale conversion and it's obvious (the TV switches modes like a computer monitor). However, when I play GT4 using 1080i mode, and try switching from 540p to 1080i and backwards via the TV menu, nothing happens. Does my Toshiba not read the 1080i signal from GT4, or is it moreso the problem of it not being able to downconvert 1080i to 540p (so it just stays at 1080i and doesn't change resolutions despite the menu changes)?

Any help?

I also have GT4 and I have experienced the same thing. Don't worry, this is not a problem. Let me explain:

When you have your PS2 (or Xbox or DVD player, or anything else) broadcast a signal at 480p, the TV then gives you the choice of receiving it progressive at 540p, or upconverted to 1080i....hence the *switch* when changing the option. When you have the signal broadcast at 1080i (GT4, Xbox, or upscaling DVD player), you're pretty much stuck with the picture as presented, since the TV is not gonna (or can't) downscale a 1080i signal to 540p....hence, no effect when changing the option. You should also notice that when receiving a 1080i signal, you'll receive an "Option not available" message (or something similar) if you try to switch the picture size (TW1, TW2, TW3, etc.). 1080i broadcasts (whether game, movie, or HDTV) are only displayed in the "Full" picture size, whether they are indeed full 16:9 or letterboxed/pillarboxed.

In other news, I'm happy to announce that I've just recently got an HD STB from Comcast, and literally had to pick-up my jaw from the floor soon after!! I've connected the box with component cables instead of DVI->HDMI in order to dodge the possible "White-Glow" that I've read about here. All that's left for me now, is to await my future PWNAGE at the hands of the Xbox 360 and PS3.

BTW: I own a 30HF84 (refurbished) & (self-calibrated using Avia and service menu).....no significant problems to report at this time, other than slight damage to my jaw
post #86 of 1387 Old 09-22-2005, 12:15 PM

Waltchan,
I bought the 34 inch hf85 from BB a week ago. Have the Motorola Dig HD from Comcast (Denver), running HDMI-DVI for High Def. No white glow, and (depending on the channel), the HD is fairly stunning. My only complaints would be some tweakage needed to settings, and the "regular" cable channels. From a prior post, I'll try to change settings (if anyone can give me particulars on what to re-set, I'd greatly appreciate it), and I'll change my other connection(s) for regular cable channels. Question to you and others, can regular cable channels look good on a HD set once the settings are adjusted? Or is it like listening to an 8-Track through a nice stereo system.
post #87 of 1387 Old 09-22-2005, 08:08 PM

Exchanged my 26HF15 for a new one and the dreaded blue problem is gone.

Convergence on this new set is off however...I can tell this is a high quality product *sigh*.

Can anyone share the service menu settings that affect convergence? I really don't want to buy the service manual just to discover those few settings I need to play around with.

(I promise to be good and write down the original values before messing them up.)
post #88 of 1387 Old 09-23-2005, 04:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockjav View Post

I also have GT4 and I have experienced the same thing. Don't worry, this is not a problem. Let me explain:

When you have your PS2 (or Xbox or DVD player, or anything else) broadcast a signal at 480p, the TV then gives you the choice of receiving it progressive at 540p, or upconverted to 1080i....hence the *switch* when changing the option. When you have the signal broadcast at 1080i (GT4, Xbox, or upscaling DVD player), you're pretty much stuck with the picture as presented, since the TV is not gonna (or can't) downscale a 1080i signal to 540p....hence, no effect when changing the option. You should also notice that when receiving a 1080i signal, you'll receive an "Option not available" message (or something similar) if you try to switch the picture size (TW1, TW2, TW3, etc.). 1080i broadcasts (whether game, movie, or HDTV) are only displayed in the "Full" picture size, whether they are indeed full 16:9 or letterboxed/pillarboxed.

In other news, I'm happy to announce that I've just recently got an HD STB from Comcast, and literally had to pick-up my jaw from the floor soon after!! I've connected the box with component cables instead of DVI->HDMI in order to dodge the possible "White-Glow" that I've read about here. All that's left for me now, is to await my future PWNAGE at the hands of the Xbox 360 and PS3.

BTW: I own a 30HF84 (refurbished) & (self-calibrated using Avia and service menu).....no significant problems to report at this time, other than slight damage to my jaw

yes, i love these widescreen toshiba's too...just watching the lord of the rings is a totally different experiance.

although, i've noticed a tiny problem. the top left corner strip is a *little* rainbowish at times, and the right side (one pixel wide though) fares towards blue at times as well (so does the top strip, although both are just 1 pixel wide). not noticable at all, but if they get worse i might have to return it.
post #89 of 1387 Old 09-23-2005, 09:04 AM

Walt,
I am referring to the Toshiba settings, and not the regular menu that is easily pulled up on the screen while viewing. I have read posts regarding the "service menu"( making sure to write down the original settings) and tweaking the settings. Wanting to know if someone has a cheat sheet on what changes may make a difference.
thanks
post #90 of 1387 Old 09-23-2005, 11:49 AM

Sorry for being so clueless, but I've got my Cable on the HDMI input and want it to be 1080i & DVD coming in through Component which I want to 540p?

Should I change my TV settings from 1080i to 540p? I don't want to lose 1080i on the HDMI. But I'd like to pick up the advantage of having the DVD be progressive.

Thanks for your guidance!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays