Toshiba HD CRT TV Owners: Problems, Fixes, Solutions, Services....Discuss Them Here!! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 1387 Old 09-23-2005, 05:04 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by nheilweil View Post

Sorry for being so clueless, but I've got my Cable on the HDMI input and want it to be 1080i & DVD coming in through Component which I want to 540p?

Should I change my TV settings from 1080i to 540p? I don't want to lose 1080i on the HDMI. But I'd like to pick up the advantage of having the DVD be progressive.

Thanks for your guidance!

The DVD will be progressive if it supports progressive (which means every DVD player other than the old model PS2). Just set the video to be 540p on the DVD input and you'll be fine. Each of the 6 video inputs save individual settings.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 1387 Old 09-23-2005, 05:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by badtyper View Post

Waltchan,
I bought the 34 inch hf85 from BB a week ago. Have the Motorola Dig HD from Comcast (Denver), running HDMI-DVI for High Def. No white glow, and (depending on the channel), the HD is fairly stunning. My only complaints would be some tweakage needed to settings, and the "regular" cable channels. From a prior post, I'll try to change settings (if anyone can give me particulars on what to re-set, I'd greatly appreciate it), and I'll change my other connection(s) for regular cable channels. Question to you and others, can regular cable channels look good on a HD set once the settings are adjusted? Or is it like listening to an 8-Track through a nice stereo system.

After tweaking they can look good and crisp. Although, I admit, they don't look as good as a fine tuned non-HD set. But it still looks great. And if your viewing distance is more than 8 feet, you won't notice a thing.
post #93 of 1387 Old 09-23-2005, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Exchanged my 26HF15 for a new one and the dreaded blue problem is gone.

Convergence on this new set is off however...I can tell this is a high quality product *sigh*.

Can anyone share the service menu settings that affect convergence? I really don't want to buy the service manual just to discover those few settings I need to play around with.

(I promise to be good and write down the original values before messing them up.)

Convergence is set by manually adjusting pairs of magnetic rings that are located on the neck of the picture tube. Not something you want to get involved with.

How bad is it? Mine was perfect out of the box on my 30HF84 when I got it, and since then it has drifted slightly. I had a tech check it out and he refused to touch it. I may adjust it myself one of these days. It's not hard, just very time consuming. And you need to know your way around the inside of the set.

I'd take it back again and get another.. This is not the way to start enjoying your new set.
post #94 of 1387 Old 09-23-2005, 11:06 PM

I have had this set for a few months now and loved it so far. But I had to get a new HD box with DVR w/ the DVI output. thats where my problems began. I also posted in the HD hardware thread but have not been getting feed back Maybe yall can help.. but this is what i did and what is happening.

The other day I got a new HD/DVR box from comcast. I got the one with a DVI output. I would like to use the DVI to free up a componet for my DVD, the other componet is my XBOX..lol. I have a Toshiba 34HFX84. well I hooked up the DVI to HDMI cable and things seem to work fine. I just had to figure out which audio jacks to use. after looking away from my tv for a couple of minutes I look back and notice for about 2 sec a big blue bar in the middle of my screen that says something to the effect " your HD signal has been comprimised, switch back to componet connection." that may not be exact but I think it was something like this. But any way I had to get ready for work so I went back to componet and turned it all off. now the DVI-HDMI does not show a picture at all. also most of my local HD channels are now 4:3 instead of 16:9. I now have black bars on the sides of the picture. some channels still look ok but other HD channels look squeased in to 4:3. some don't look HD at all now, kinda fuzzy like RD. ESPN HD is one that looks RD now.

So I am wondering if it is my new box, the fact I hooked up DVI to HDMI and messed up something, or what? Do I need to call a TV repair man? or is there a setting some where TV or Cable box I can swich back. I have checked every where I can think of in both he TV and the box. Please someone give me something.

and is the sevice menu different from what you put in your first post in this thread walt? if so how do you get in? thanks in advance for any help. I am starting to get worried now.
post #95 of 1387 Old 09-24-2005, 12:23 AM

I dont have the old box, the tech took it with him when he left. so cant check that. but the old box did not have DVI out either.....
post #96 of 1387 Old 09-24-2005, 01:05 AM

well it did not look like any of the tv menu screens so i think it could have been from the cable box. an as I said before the DVI to HDMI no longer shows a picture now. so maybe the box is messed up, a lot easier to fix than my tv...
post #97 of 1387 Old 09-24-2005, 04:33 AM

My Tosh 34HF85 was ISF calibrated yesterday by Chad Billheimer. I am very, very pleased with the results. All aspects of performance of this set were improved by the calibration. Geometry issues were corrected, overscan was reduced from about 8% to 6%. Grey scale adjustments led to vast improvements in picture quality. White text and icons no longer bloom into surrounding black as they did when I first hooked up the set. Color balance adjustments have improved the picture quality also and HD content especially now really shines. Chad was very meticulous and patient in his work and I am the beneficiary of huge improvements in the picture quality from my set. You will find Chad's work reviewed by other folks on this forum, as well, if you run a search on 'Chad Billheimer' and I will also say that he does outstanding work. If you live in the Eastern U.S. and are in need of an ISF calibration, I would give him the highest recommendation. While I was generally pleased with the set prior to having the calibration done, I am extremely pleased with this set now and enjoy watching it every bit as much as my Tosh 30HF83. Chad has a website at www.HDTVbyChad.com and his services, fees, and a request form can be found there.

Frank Burch
post #98 of 1387 Old 09-24-2005, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post

try unplugging the TV, wait five minutes to reset the settings, then plug it in back again.

I'm trying this now. I wonder what happened? If this does not work I may just have to call a service tech.....lol all because I wanted to use DVI-HDMI.....
post #99 of 1387 Old 09-25-2005, 01:40 AM

I've had my 26HF15(85) for half a month now and I'm trying to decide: should I keep it with it's small problems or return it for a better but slightly more expensive TV? Right now the strips of rainbow along the top and left sides bother me, as does the geometry. I'd rather get a new TV than spend $250 getting this one professionally calibrated. If I spend a good chunk of money on a TV, it should be 100% working properly too, and that's not what I call working properly.

So if I return my 26HF15(85), which model should I get in it's place? There's a Sony one that people talk about, but I'm not quite sure the exact model number. And I'd be wanting something that I can find for $500-$700 on the internet (I can always pricematch). Also it would have to be around 26-27" widescreen and HD capable (my swivel does not accept anything larger than my current 26" widescreen).

Thanks

Oh yah, do all flatscreen widescreen HD TV's have a little geometry distortion out of the box? I mean, shouldn't it be perfect right when you get it?

Ok, I just thought of this for the reason of weird geometry on flatscreen TVs. Material on DVDs that are produced today are made for curved tube TVs, so they make up for this by making the picture a little curved at the edges to appear straight on these curved tube TVs. Make sense? I thought of this while having the crosshatch on the DVD player input (Avia calibration), and having my PS2 on the another input. When adjusting geometry on the PS2 input (playing a normal 4:3 game), I made it so all the lines in the game I was playing were straight up and down, left and right...then I switched over to the DVD input and the crosshatch geometry was in a curved tube shape. Too much to be a coincidence I thought... Anyone else agree?
post #100 of 1387 Old 09-25-2005, 02:57 PM

Quote:

Sorry to hear that your Toshiba 26HF15 is not working well out for you. Are you considering to do an exchange or do you want to switch to a different TV? There is also a Panasonic CT-26WX15 or Samsung TX-R2678WH available that fits well within your price range. There is no 27" CRT widescreen TV available.

Do you know anything how the Panasonic or Samsung fare? I can' find any reviews on the Panasonic cept one which says it's a horrible TV, but that's only 1 review...

And for the Samsung, there are 2 good reviews out there, and it says it supports 480p, 720p and 1080i, but does that mean you can switch between the 3 like you can with the Toshiba, switching between 540p and 1080i? Or does it just upconvert everything to 1080i...

Same goes for the Panasonic. Can you switch between 480p and 1080i manually? And I can't seem to find a code to access the service menu...I'll probably be needing to know that to adjust screen size and geometry...

Also, how good is the KV-30HS420?

Thanks
post #101 of 1387 Old 09-25-2005, 06:57 PM

Just because something is outsourced means nothing to me, lots of things are outsourced. My Toshiba 34HFX85 from Crutchfield will be arriving tomorrow, if there are problems I'll post them, but if it's perfectly fine I'll post that too since these threads lack that kind of information. All tv brands have problems, but not 100% of them are going to be bad. I will be having the tv ISF calibrated by Chad B. as well since ironically he lives where I live.
post #102 of 1387 Old 09-25-2005, 08:31 PM

Quote:

Just do a search in this forum about Panasonic, Samsung, and Sony. Then go to the store and pick what you like best. The Samsung can switch all three resolutions with no problem at all, like the Toshiba. The Panasonic can be switched from 480p to 1080i manually, but no 720p.

Are you sure you don't want to do an exchange? The Toshiba 26HF15 is such a nice-looking TV.

I predict if I return this Toshiba to Costco I will end up with another Toshiba with slight geometry issues and convergence problems as well. At least according to all the problems I'm reading here. I honestly just want a 100% working product which I don't always have to mess with and I don't feel like returning TV after TV before I find a good working one.

I think I'm just going to go with the Sony WEGA KV-30HS420. The one I saw at Circuit City was amazing, even with the crappy store settings. Side note, Circuit City has no customer service. I've always liked Sony anyway. Plus with all the positive reviews it's gotten I don't think I can lose.
post #103 of 1387 Old 09-26-2005, 05:44 PM

I received my Toshiba 34HFX85 and hooked up my sa 8300 box up via component and hdmi, hdmi was much clearer i thought on hd, the only problem with using the hdmi was a very very tiny white bar at the top of the screen which is barely noticeable, on the component there were some issues which trying the fix of making my cable box output 720p instead of 1080i and letting my tv upconvert it to 1080i has fixed this issue, the tv has fantasic picture quality, the only convergence issue is the screen is off to the left a tiny bit which will be adjusted when the tv has been ISF calibrated, i like my "orion" tv

edit: also the pictures on crutchfield are incorrect, the front looks different, still has the black bezel, but the speakers at the bottom look different
post #104 of 1387 Old 09-26-2005, 07:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoof15 View Post

the only problem with using the hdmi was a very very tiny white bar at the top of the screen which is barely noticeable

Is this the same white glow reported by other Orion/Toshiba owners? How big is it? Barely noticeable to one person could be unacceptable to another.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smoof15 View Post

also the pictures on crutchfield are incorrect, the front looks different, still has the black bezel, but the speakers at the bottom look different

The most recent Crutchfield catalog (Oct? Fall? 2005) also listed the 34HFX85 as incorrectly having 2 HDMI inputs. My guess is they didn't change anything between the 34HFX84 and the newer 85 model, using the old pictures and specs.

Do the speakers look better or worse?
post #105 of 1387 Old 09-26-2005, 08:32 PM

Yes, it looks exactly like the 34HF85 picture on Crutchfield's website, and yes I got the right tv it says Cinema Series right at the top left corner. As far as the white glow it was coming from the top of the screen going downward 1/4" roughly, doing the trick switching the cable box to 720p fixed this. Not having another cable box around I can't say for sure it was the tv..using my dvd player via hdmi produced NO white glow at all, it was only on the cable box via hdmi that i received it.
post #106 of 1387 Old 09-26-2005, 08:40 PM

Buy or not.

I just bought a Sanyo HT27744 27" TV, I having problem with picture quality, I'd like to return it and going to buy a Toshiba 26HF85C. Any one here can help me to make decision?

Thanks.
post #107 of 1387 Old 09-26-2005, 10:07 PM

Several refurbished models of the "USA-made" 34" Toshiba HDTV monitors (34HF84, 34HFX83, 34HFX84) are available from refurbelectronics and overstock. Has anyone bought one of these refurbished units or heard about how well they perform? Reliability? Also, if I wanted to get a OTA HD tuner to go with it, any suggestions?
post #108 of 1387 Old 09-27-2005, 03:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tbagz View Post

...after looking away from my tv for a couple of minutes I look back and notice for about 2 sec a big blue bar in the middle of my screen that says something to the effect " your HD signal has been comprimised, switch back to componet connection."

Tbagz,

I had the same issue with my Motorola 6412 DVI-to-HDMI on my Toshiba set.

The issue is a security protocol HDCP that needs to do some handshaking between the 2 devices...if you fail the handshake, it won't let you see the content.

Here's what I did, hopefully it will help:

- Unplug your Motorola box for at least 5 minutes
- Power off your TV
- Unplug any component cables between your TV and the DVR so that the DVI-HDMI cable is the only video connection (IMPORTANT)
- Plug in your cable box but do not turn it on.
- Power on your TV
- Press the menu button on the front of your cable box (with the cable box power still off)
- Make sure that you are set up for TV TYPE = 16:9 and PICTURE RESOLUTION = 1080i, if not use your left/right buttons to change
- Now, turn on your cable box

That got rid of the issue for me. Let me know how it works for you.

- Nicholas
post #109 of 1387 Old 09-27-2005, 05:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by doug wilson View Post

Several refurbished models of the "USA-made" 34" Toshiba HDTV monitors (34HF84, 34HFX83, 34HFX84) are available from refurbelectronics and overstock. Has anyone bought one of these refurbished units or heard about how well they perform? Reliability?

I attempted to purchase a refurbished 34HFX84 yesterday to no avail. Overstock sold out last week, refurbelectronics is also sold out (notice the availability says 1-2 weeks). My last source, which had them as of Friday (supposedly), sold out when I called Monday (as reflected on their web page as well).

The refurbished 34HF84 is still available everywhere however. I'm not interested int he 34HFX83 because of the different case.

I've been holding out for a 34HFX84 for the 2 HDMI inputs, but I may not wait any longer. Maybe just go for a refurb-34HF84 ($900) or new Orion 34HF85 ($950, but with a return policy).
post #110 of 1387 Old 09-27-2005, 06:08 PM

I dont know who started the BS about Orion making Toshibas now, mine sez made in the USA right on the sticker - it came from their Toshiba plant in Tennesee, I can take a picture if need be, why would anyone want something USED/refurbished they only fix what was wrong with the TV not replace USED bulbs inside and all LMAO. I bought my TV at Sears for 999.99 plus a extra 10% off using a Sears card, so the total was only 953.99. My TV fills like its built tough and the picture and sound are very clear, wish every ch. was HD. Goodluck all

Living Large in the Town of GOLD http://flashlightsngear.com/
post #111 of 1387 Old 09-29-2005, 09:38 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by d1live View Post

I dont know who started the BS about Orion making Toshibas now, mine sez made in the USA right on the sticker - it came from their Toshiba plant in Tennesee, I can take a picture if need be, why would anyone want something USED/refurbished they only fix what was wrong with the TV not replace USED bulbs inside and all LMAO. I bought my TV at Sears for 999.99 plus a extra 10% off using a Sears card, so the total was only 953.99. My TV fills like its built tough and the picture and sound are very clear, wish every ch. was HD. Goodluck all

I didn't realize that CRT's had bulbs that need to be replaced.

It's the job of the salesman to give honest and accurate product info and let the customer decide if it fits their needs.
post #112 of 1387 Old 09-30-2005, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bullgates View Post

I didn't realize that CRT's had bulbs that need to be replaced.

Lightbulbs of some sort have to be inside, whether they are LED or Filiment type, what Iam getting at is USED is Used remanufactored or not refurbished isnt new.

post #113 of 1387 Old 09-30-2005, 03:43 PM

I still have not seen a post in the new "Calibration" forum regarding the best way to tweak my 34hf85, but I'll lurk and be patient. Once I'd had a little while to actually watch different channels, I've noticed a tremendous difference from channel to channel in PQ. BBC (ch 162 comcast denver) looks great, better than my old Sanyo PQ, Sci-Fi (ch 48 ) looks god-awful, so its probably just a comcast issue. HD is awesome, so overall I'm still satisfied with my purchase. Probably will return the HDMI-DVI cable (best buy monster cable) and use comp cables, seems to be virtually no diff in PQ. I'll replace the HDMI-DVI from best buy with non-monster, save the $100.
post #114 of 1387 Old 09-30-2005, 07:53 PM

Just for future people considering the 26", I just bought and returned it within 24 hours for many of the reasons previously stated in this thread. Don't buy these things.
post #115 of 1387 Old 10-02-2005, 03:23 PM

Quote:

Here's a weird issue which I'd like to throw out to you guys for your suggestions...

I have a new setup Motorola DCT6412, Comcast, Toshiba 26HL84 connected via component input. I'm having an issue on only 1 digital channel: during SD show it looks normal, but during HD show it looks completely blue...totally saturated with blue!

My other HD channels look great, so it's a mystery: I've swapped out cables, the DCT box, and my friends in the same area don't seem to have the issue.

It's almost like on this 1 channel, the 1080i sync messes up the blue.

Got the set at Costco, so I could return for another if you guys think it might help! I'm going to try a DVI-HDMI cable into my set to see if that helps.

Any help/suggestions/ideas would be appreciated!

Nicholas

I am having this exact same problem with my new 34hfx85. One, and only one, HD channel is totally tinted blue. One other channel has what I describe as horizontal shadow bars that flicker on and off. Is my only option returning the TV? I purchased it from Crutchfield and have no idea how much of a hassle it would be to return it. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

Ben
post #116 of 1387 Old 10-02-2005, 04:49 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 136 Post(s)
Liked: 272
If only one channel has the "blue" problem, I would not recommend messing around in the service menus. It may not be a "TV" issue.

If you have cable, you should contact your provider to take a look and try to resolve.
post #117 of 1387 Old 10-02-2005, 06:51 PM

Quote:

I am having this exact same problem with my new 34hfx85. One, and only one, HD channel is totally tinted blue. One other channel has what I describe as horizontal shadow bars that flicker on and off. Is my only option returning the TV? I purchased it from Crutchfield and have no idea how much of a hassle it would be to return it. Any advice/suggestions would be greatly appreciated!

I did more testing. I also have a 42H81 that is HD ready and a cable HD converter box for each TV. Both converter boxes have no problem on the 42H81. All HD channels come in fine. I have the problem above with both boxes connected to the 34HFX85.

I also took one box and hooked it up to the 42H81 and all the HD channels were working perfectly. Then all I did was disconnect the component cables from the back of the 42 and connected them to the back of the 34. I made no other changes. The problems were still there on the 34.

Is this really a problem with the TV or is it the cable signal? It seems so strange that I am only having problems with 2 of the 7 HD channels and only on the 34 TV. Why would it be a problem with the TV if the other 5 HD channels come in perfectly? A DVD signal through the composite video inputs look fine also.

I called Crutchfield and they thought it was the cable companies problem. Any additional thoughts? TV or cable company? Thanks again for any help you can give me!

Ben
post #118 of 1387 Old 10-02-2005, 07:07 PM

Sounds like the TV to me, only problem with mine is the picture isnt straight, I called Sears Service and their sending someone here Friday to fix it, hopefully the guy will Calibrate it for me, Ive notice alot bent looking pictures lately all of them different than my Toshiba 34HF85, besides that I really like my TV, the HD channels look awesome Iam using a HDMI cable with NO problems with it, component video also looked good before switching to the HDMI cable, I ran a optical line from my DTV HD reciever to my Onkyo TIB 6-ch system and the sound is amazing.

post #119 of 1387 Old 10-02-2005, 07:55 PM

I really like the TV. I did try 2 different cables and it didn't make a difference. I used the exact, and I mean EXACT, same setup to connect both the 34 and 42 inch TVs. The 34 has the problems and the 42 does not. The 42 is about 3 or 4 years old now. I can't figure out why it would have these problems with just 2 of the 7 HD broadcasts through our local cable company. That would make it seem like a cable HD signal problem to me, buth the 42 TV works just fine with the exact same signal. The "cable guy" is coming out on Tuesday, so I'll see what he has to say.

I called Crutchfield tech support and they said it must be a cable signal issue. I'm going to call Toshiba tech support on Monday and see what they have to say. Thanks for all the responses so far!

Ben
post #120 of 1387 Old 10-04-2005, 04:33 AM

OK, despite all the warnings, I jumped in and purchased the 34HF85 from Best Buy. After install, the text was so blurry that I was not able to read the Comcast cable guide. Fortunately, I purchased the Best Buy extended warranty and had a tech come out. He said when he tried to change focus settings it was not holding them. He wrote it off as a bad picture tube. DVD performance (DVI) is better but still blurred on text.

Part two: I asked for an 30 day exchange and the wait period to have one delivered is over 4 weeks. I am curious why Best Buy is not stocking very many of the 34hf85 in stores and why is supply so limited nationwide? Is there something they know that we don't?

My fear is that the next one will have the same issue. Have other had this problem and resolve it in some manner through calibration?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page