Toshiba HD CRT TV Owners: Problems, Fixes, Solutions, Services....Discuss Them Here!! - Page 43 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1261 of 1387 Old 02-10-2008, 07:29 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
dpd347,

That stripe is a well-known problem with these sets. Everyone has it. I could tell you about another problem, but then you'd start noticing it as well.

I have the 34hdx82, and other than the minor screen defects, it's been a good set. Too good: it won't die so I can get a 50" plasma...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1262 of 1387 Old 02-18-2008, 06:20 PM

Recently my Toshiba 30HF85 has developed a distortion across the top of the screen. I'm not sure if it's related but for the past month I've had all the rear ports filled with game systems (xbox, xbox360, and Wii). I've had multiple systems on at the same time. Again, not sure if this has anything to do with it though. I've attached some reference pictures.

Any help with identifying the issue and thoughts on typical repair cost would be greatly appreciated.
LL
LL
LL
post #1263 of 1387 Old 02-19-2008, 10:21 AM

I also have a question regarding my 30hf85 tv. I'm planning on buying a PS3 for myself and was wondering if anybody here has had any problems with the combination (ie. overscaning, resoultion problem). If you have had some problems with the two together, how do you solve them? Thanks in advance
post #1264 of 1387 Old 02-19-2008, 10:29 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by theovermind99 View Post

I also have a question regarding my 30hf85 tv. I'm planning on buying a PS3 for myself and was wondering if anybody here has had any problems with the combination (ie. overscaning, resoultion problem). If you have had some problems with the two together, how do you solve them? Thanks in advance

You're probably going to have problems with HDMI, so use component@1080i for your PS3.

Sony XBR960n - nice to rods, mean to cones.
post #1265 of 1387 Old 02-22-2008, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John. View Post

Hi everybody !

I am not sure if I am posting in the right section , but I have a problem with my Toshiba TV . I am not sure if this can be corrected or not .

I own a 34hfx83 Toshiba HD model , manufactured 2004 . The TV works fine except that when there is a light coloured background in the picture . The screen seems to have what it looks like dirt on the screen . I really notice it alot more when the action moves onscreen .

It just looks like there is dirt on the screen , but I have cleaned the screen and the problem is still there .

I have done a search and I have not found much except for one thread . The thread was from , I believe 2004 . The thread seemed to just end and there was no solution to fix the problem . One person mentioned something about the Invar shadow mask ? , or something like that .

Here is the link , I hope I do this right . I do not use a computer much .
http://archive.avsforum.com/avs-vb/s...hreadid=398696

Anybody have any suggestions as to how I can fix this , or do I have to live with it ? .

It is a shame , this TV in high def is great , except that wierd dirty effect .

It would be nice if it was just the glass screen that needs to be cleaned on the inside , but I don't think I would be that lucky . Would it probably be right inside the picture tube itself ? .

Any suggestions out there that could help me ?

Thanks all !!

I am one of the original forum posters regarding this "dirty" issue with the 34hfx83. I have lived with this issue since December of 2003 with no real solution. I love the TV except for this what I call defect with early HDTV models from Toshiba. This experience has changed the way that I purchase all of my electronics. Do your research first!

Does anyone else have any solution to fixing this "dirty" screen problem with Toshiba CRT's?

-Andy
post #1266 of 1387 Old 02-29-2008, 01:20 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Hi,
I was wondering if anybody would know what the problem is. I have a 36" Toshiba HD CRT, and while watching HD cable (Comcast), when text pops up on the screen the picture flickers like crazy. It is most noticeable while watching Jericho, when the girl signs they put the text on the bottom of the screen. It flickers like crazy until the text it gone. It does it quite a bit on commercials too.

Any ideas?
I have just replaced all my interior cable with Belden 1694A, but that did not fix anything. I have it hooked up via component.

Thanks,
Jamie
post #1267 of 1387 Old 03-03-2008, 03:54 PM
Advanced Member

I have hte Tpshiba 34 HFX84 HDTV and I will probably be using the Toshiba HD-A3 HD-DVD player with it in my upstairs system. Is it worth it to connect this analog CRT with HDMI or should I use components, or does it matter?
post #1268 of 1387 Old 03-05-2008, 08:43 AM

I have the 34HF84 and there is a lot of shadow banding/flickering via HDMI through my HD STB & my (now sold) HD-A2. So...I'd personally stick with Component for any HD use.
post #1269 of 1387 Old 03-07-2008, 08:52 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by lennsx View Post

I have the 34HF84 and there is a lot of shadow banding/flickering via HDMI through my HD STB & my (now sold) HD-A2. So...I'd personally stick with Component for any HD use.

Thanks, I've always wondered what the advantage could be to using a digital connection with an analog TV. I would imagine that the video D/A conversion in the HD_DVD player would be better than in the TV, so components are probably the way to go. I guess?
post #1270 of 1387 Old 03-10-2008, 01:44 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
I'm thinking of buying the 30" MD30H82....the one with a built in DVD player.....
I planned on mainly using this T.V. for my PS3 games as well as BluRay movies.... so I would use HDMI...but I keep reading that these Toshiba's have promblems with their HDMI outputs.... should I pass on this T.V.

These 30" Toshibas fit perfectly in my cabinet... (I had a 26" Panny crt before) .... so I want a larger T.V...... but I also what to stick with a crt... anyone have any advice...... there are no other 30" crt that would fit this cabinet.....
post #1271 of 1387 Old 03-10-2008, 02:19 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Afrikan View Post

I planned on mainly using this T.V. for my PS3 games as well as BluRay movies.... so I would use HDMI...but I keep reading that these Toshiba's have promblems with their HDMI outputs.... should I pass on this T.V.

Just get it and use Component inputs. It will look great after some calibration.

post #1272 of 1387 Old 03-10-2008, 05:49 PM

I have a Toshiba 30HF66 build date of May 2006 and assembled in the USA which has no issues over HDMI with my Toshiba HD-A3 hd-dvd player. Very happy with this tv.
post #1273 of 1387 Old 03-20-2008, 08:34 AM
dgk

I have a 26HF66 that just started making loud static sounds and the picture goes away. Then it comes back (after 15 seconds or so) and is fine for another few minutes, then it goes out again. It's 18 months old, and even with the credit card extending the warranty, that's only 6 months labor.

I wrote asking Toshiba to fix it under warranty. It costs $70 or so just to have someone come over and look at it. If Toshiba won't fix a $550 TV that dies after 18 months, I'm unlikely to buy another Toshiba product. I carry a grudge.

I posted about this in a new thread but then found this one. I guess it belongs here.

Any guesses as to the problem would be greatly appreciated.
post #1274 of 1387 Old 03-21-2008, 08:10 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post

I have a 26HF66 that just started making loud static sounds and the picture goes away. Then it comes back (after 15 seconds or so) and is fine for another few minutes, then it goes out again. It's 18 months old, and even with the credit card extending the warranty, that's only 6 months labor.

I wrote asking Toshiba to fix it under warranty. It costs $70 or so just to have someone come over and look at it. If Toshiba won't fix a $550 TV that dies after 18 months, I'm unlikely to buy another Toshiba product. I carry a grudge.

I posted about this in a new thread but then found this one. I guess it belongs here.

Any guesses as to the problem would be greatly appreciated.

Wait, it's still under warranty and Toshiba won't fix it? That sucks, but don't base your view of Toshiba quality on the 26HF series TV. They are poorly made(decent components though) by an outsource company named Orion.

Or maybe it's because there's three 6s in the model number...

post #1275 of 1387 Old 03-24-2008, 07:02 AM
dgk

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot View Post

Wait, it's still under warranty and Toshiba won't fix it? That sucks, but don't base your view of Toshiba quality on the 26HF series TV. They are poorly made(decent components though) by an outsource company named Orion.

Or maybe it's because there's three 6s in the model number...

No, the only thing under warranty is the picture tube and I've been assured by a service center that the picture tube is not the problem. What sucks is that Toshiba has a warranty of 3 months (labor) for a product that sold for $540. That does not indicate much confidence in their product. I base my opinion of their quality on their willingness to stand behind their products. That appears to be non-existent.

In fairness to Toshiba, at least one other company (Sharp) has an identical warranty. What I think we need to do is to force companies to issue longer warranties. What might be reasonable? Any product that has a suggested retail price over $300 must have at least a two year parts and labor warranty?
post #1276 of 1387 Old 04-09-2008, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by dgk View Post

No, the only thing under warranty is the picture tube and I've been assured by a service center that the picture tube is not the problem. What sucks is that Toshiba has a warranty of 3 months (labor) for a product that sold for $540. That does not indicate much confidence in their product. I base my opinion of their quality on their willingness to stand behind their products. That appears to be non-existent.

In fairness to Toshiba, at least one other company (Sharp) has an identical warranty. What I think we need to do is to force companies to issue longer warranties. What might be reasonable? Any product that has a suggested retail price over $300 must have at least a two year parts and labor warranty?

That TV has a full 1 year parts and labor warranty. It states very clearly at the back of the owner's manual. Manufacturers are required by law to honor them. Try calling Toshiba's customer support again with a different rep. If it does not work, then try calling Orion's customer support at orionsalesinc.com and mention to the rep that the TV set was made by Orion, and you would like to find an authorized repair center that works both Orion and Toshiba TVs. If it still does not work, you are allowed to open a small claim against Toshiba with the court. Good luck.

Is your TV less than 12 months old or more than 12 months old? Your previous post said 18 months.
post #1277 of 1387 Old 04-12-2008, 12:31 PM

I have a Tosh 30HF66 and just recently noticed some small purple splotches at the 2 bottom corners which are really only noticeable when the display is showing a very light shade such as white. The one on the left side is slightly larger. They seem to have gotten smaller from turning the tv on and off a few times (the internal degaussing circuit) but haven't completely gone away. I recently ordered a handheld degaussing wand and was wondering if it's ok to degauss these sets and if there is any risk that degaussing would mess anything up? Also curious if the purple spotting toward the bottom corners on a widescreen CRT is a common thing?
post #1278 of 1387 Old 04-14-2008, 07:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

I have a Tosh 30HF66 and just recently noticed some small purple splotches at the 2 bottom corners which are really only noticeable when the display is showing a very light shade such as white. The one on the left side is slightly larger. They seem to have gotten smaller from turning the tv on and off a few times (the internal degaussing circuit) but haven't completely gone away. I recently ordered a handheld degaussing wand and was wondering if it's ok to degauss these sets and if there is any risk that degaussing would mess anything up? Also curious if the purple spotting toward the bottom corners on a widescreen CRT is a common thing?

I wouldn't say it's a common thing, but you can definitely damage your TV with a degaussing wand. Be careful and do it right.

post #1279 of 1387 Old 04-14-2008, 07:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

Also curious if the purple spotting toward the bottom corners on a widescreen CRT is a common thing?

If it's old and hasn't been used in a while, yeah. They still may clear up after some more power cycles.
post #1280 of 1387 Old 04-14-2008, 11:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot View Post

I wouldn't say it's a common thing, but you can definitely damage your TV with a degaussing wand. Be careful and do it right.

What would being careful and doing it right consist of? I may just leave it be rather than risk messing it up...
post #1281 of 1387 Old 04-28-2008, 07:16 AM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 50
I have the 34HF85 and run all my stuff (both anoalog and digital) through my Denon AVR 2807 and then run one single HDMI cable to my monitor.

I have not had any HDMI issues so this may be a solution for those that are having problems.

I reject your reality and substitute my own.

post #1282 of 1387 Old 05-02-2008, 07:21 AM

My Toshiba 30hf66 emits a very high pitch sound. The really unfortunate aspect is that it happens very sporadically and only for minute or so before disappearing for awhile only to come back sporadically again. I have been unable to induce it but it seems to happen more often when scenes are extremely red.

The TV is still under warranty but the first repair place I brought it to claims there is nothing wrong and that they did not hear any sounds from the television. They replaced "a part" and sent it back to me. Now a new repair place is going to drive to my house to look at the TV again. My worry is that they will be at my house for such a short time that they will not hear the sound.

Any ideas on how to isolate or reproduce the sound or record the sound to play back for the technician would be highly appreciated.

Thanks,
Justin
post #1283 of 1387 Old 05-02-2008, 11:06 AM

How old is the set? That sort of high pitched whine is common with CRT sets and has something to do with the high voltage output but i'm not exactly sure what causes it and what you can do to fix it. Hopefully someone else here knows more about this type of problem. I do have the same set as you do the 30hf66 so i'm curious as to how long you've had it as mine is trouble free so far.
post #1284 of 1387 Old 05-03-2008, 01:22 PM

I bought the set in July 2006, The problems started in before April 2007. I have been trying to get Toshiba to fix it since then. I am becoming more and more frustrated by them. They have twice called me and said that it was no longer their problem and I have had to fight with them for weeks to get them to pay for this next repair company to come out and diagnosis the problem and repair it.

Thats why I am so worried that they will come out, not hear anything and will leave saying nothing is wrong and I'll be back at square one.

I was thinking I'd record the TV with my camcorder, but I do not think the pitch will come through on the recording since it is such a High frequency. Any ideas on how to do this would be appreciated since I want to have recording in hand to show the techs when they show up.
post #1285 of 1387 Old 05-03-2008, 01:37 PM

hey guys, i think i have a problem with overscan with my Toshiba set - 34hfx83 and GTA4 on xbox 360 - i know there are many people with other tvs with this problem but the writing on both sides of the screen is cut off a bit and its annoying. Is there any setting on the tv to get the text better centred? anything i can do before (hopefully) rockstar releases a patch? thanks. I am using 720p on the xbox and the componet cables in the back of the tv.
post #1286 of 1387 Old 05-12-2008, 08:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 17
a friend of mine is looking for reference settings for the 30hf85 without using the service menu.

can anyone help? thanks!
post #1287 of 1387 Old 05-12-2008, 02:41 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by briansemerick View Post

a friend of mine is looking for reference settings for the 30hf85 without using the service menu.

can anyone help? thanks!

What do you mean reference settings? Do you mean to calibrate the picture quality? If so, it's impossible to get good results without using the service menu. Tell him not to worry about going into the service menu, it's not THAT scary and then search for other threads made by me. You will find one with all of my service menu settings for a properly calibrated picture.

post #1288 of 1387 Old 05-16-2008, 10:17 AM

I believe I am having the same flicker/banding/glow issue with my 30HFX85 unit as well, but wasn't evident until I started using a Comcast HD box w/ my tv. As stated previously in this thread it seems to be something wrong internally w/ the Television trying to auto color correct/brighten the picture. Something interesting is the problem only seems to occur when the source video is HD.

For example, watching LOST last night in HD, colors were going haywire, but during commercials that were sourced from standard def no problems occured. Obviously the commercial has been upconverted back at the Comcast office or through ABC somewhere along the line, so it's in 1080i. So the problem does seem to be with the TV. Which also may explain why my upconverting DVD player didn't cause the television to have errors (through both compontent and hdmi).

Another thing to mention is that I'm experiencing these problems over component, where as a lot of the problems here seem to be w/ HDMI.

My main question is, do the ISF settings that Fugiot posted correct these problems? Or were those just posted to correct more minor picture complaints?
post #1289 of 1387 Old 05-27-2008, 10:46 AM

Okay...strange issue here. I have a 30hf66 and yesterday I unplugged it from the wall and unplugged the coaxial cable so I could install a new entertainment system. When I plugged it back in and did the channel set up I only got the HD Channels! None of my regular analog cable channels. It's almost as if it's not recognizing the analog signal. Is there a setting or a reset that I can do? If I miss Adult Swim again I'm going to start breaking stuff...starting with the new entertainment center thinggy.

Thanks,

jrsu37
post #1290 of 1387 Old 05-28-2008, 09:38 AM
Advanced Member

Check for a switch from "antenna" to "cable".

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page