Toshiba HD CRT TV Owners: Problems, Fixes, Solutions, Services....Discuss Them Here!! - Page 46 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1351 of 1387 Old 04-19-2010, 02:27 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Remember those "scan lines" I was talking about 5 years ago? Well it may have been the source. The TV did not seem to have a problem with HDMI input from DVD or Blurays, and my new 1080p Panasonic plasma is showing the scan lines when fed by our TiVO through an RCA cable. I guess it is time for an HD DVR.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1352 of 1387 Old 04-24-2010, 09:20 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mojo_AVS View Post

Recently my Toshiba 30HF85 has developed a distortion across the top of the screen....Any help with identifying the issue and thoughts on typical repair cost would be greatly appreciated.

I'm sure you've moved on to better and nicer displays, but could I ask what is displaying the overscan/geometry pattern on the pictures you posted?
post #1353 of 1387 Old 04-26-2010, 10:49 PM

So I have a Toshiba 34hfx83 in the year 2010. and I bought a 1080p LG Plasma returned it a week later, it could not touch the quality of this TV. I had one issue for the last 1.5 years it had overscan when i hooked up my xbox 360. It was annoying but I dealt with it.

Today I decided to look further into the issue and discovered from the site service menu after an hour of researching I have successfully eliminated the over scanning issue. After reading the cautions from here I made note of the default settings. I found on a different site what the abbreviations meant, that corresponded to my issue, Basically I had to reduce the width of the image and adjust the horizontal position.

My TV is beautiful when gaming everything fits perfect no more over-scan! I really love this tv, all though I do suffer from that Jerky issue when I first turn it on in HD mode (x box 360) the TV will jerk every few minutes for the first 10 minutes then its gone.

I have seen a few plasmas and LCD's and just have yet to see anything that matches the quality of my set. Everything is so crispy and the blacks are wonderful. I don't know if I am going to upgrade anytime soon as long as this T.V don't fail on me.. even so, I would probably see how much to fix it or buy another one off of craigslist or something for 300 bucks! I am a gamer it is very important I get no lag and everything looks great. I heard the Panasonics Plasmas were great and good for gaming on, that was last year, this year apparently they suffer from some black issue! Not upgrading!

only other issue that I notice is when the screen is what I call "standby mode" like between images the blank screen has like lines and isnt as black. It is only brief but why does it do that? I am using component by the way. when the blacks do kick in they are nice and dark.

When I played BioShock though, even on some stages the blacks were looking like the "stand by" blacks and that was a little concerning to me. Do I have feedback or is that how my model of TV is.

I get people want the flat panel look, the sleekness, but they lose quality! I rather stay at 34 inches Big ol TUBE tv with the current Quality I am getting then 42-50 inches of inferior ness <-- lol

Thanks for reading..

END RANT
post #1354 of 1387 Old 04-28-2010, 07:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by YO-Q View Post

So I have a Toshiba 34hfx83 in the year 2010. and I bought a 1080p LG Plasma returned it a week later, it could not touch the quality of this TV. I had one issue for the last 1.5 years it had overscan when i hooked up my xbox 360. It was annoying but I dealt with it....

How does the geometry look? What percent over-scan did you adjust it for... 5%?
post #1355 of 1387 Old 07-08-2010, 10:13 PM

Hi guys I have a toshiba plasma screen model number 42WP66E and i have the red and green snow all over my screen to be exact around the dark areas of the screen.
I dont know how to fix it but I read on a website that i could play around with the R drive in the service menu !! dont know if thats correct or not ??

please help guys !!!

oh and I played with other stuff in the service menu and forgot to write them down now I feel that I have messed stuff up !! so please anyone please give me the default settings of the service menu thankyou
post #1356 of 1387 Old 07-15-2010, 10:15 AM

Liked: 11
I have an 26HF84A and I used fugoit settings which made the picture quality look great. But I have a small problem. The picture is slightly slanted going down. Right to left, is there a way, I can push the left corner side up??
post #1357 of 1387 Old 08-24-2010, 06:44 PM

hey everyone just got 26hf84... love the tv but the component inputs are messed up... anybody have any clue as to how much this would cost to get fixed?

currently im on the fence about picking up a sony kv-24fv300 or a toshiba 27af45... which do you guys think is better and maybe more reliable?
post #1358 of 1387 Old 11-03-2010, 08:09 AM

TV is 7 years old.
I think there is something wrong with the 1080i connection via component cables. The screen looks as if there is nothing but noise, inputs at 480p is OK. If I set the TV from Letterbox to compressed on the HD input screen, the screen is watchable but the top 3 inches flickers with short horizontal lines along the left and right top of the image.

I am going to try to reset the TV back to factory defaults to see it it will help. Any clues to the cause will be helpful.

Thanks.
post #1359 of 1387 Old 11-11-2010, 08:38 AM

Could use some help. Buddy of mine lives in the mountains. Was a fire not long ago off a ways and something went wonky with the power for an hour or two. I continued to cycle off and on fairly rapidly. Went to watch his Toshiba 34HD82 and the picture is now messed up. First, it's no longer centered. The picture is now off about 4" down and to the left. Second, when anything moves the picture blurs. Color appears off a bit now to. Is there a hard reset that might help or is this thing hosed.
post #1360 of 1387 Old 11-13-2010, 06:16 PM

It seems like the problem with 480i via component is fairly common, with the hf series of tubes, anyone know of a fix? It worked fine for oh, 5-6 years. The picture is still nice for non 480i content.
AO

my car has boom & bump, but it ain't the stereo- www.specialstage.com
post #1361 of 1387 Old 01-30-2011, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

Well, after a few years now, I wonder if old users here still have a Toshiba.
post #1362 of 1387 Old 02-09-2011, 12:48 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 70 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Hi Walter!
post #1363 of 1387 Old 02-14-2011, 10:21 PM

Quoted: 34 Post(s)
Liked: 55
Hey guys

New to the forum, ( Ola! ) i think the site absolutely rocks. No profanity or rude comments at all that i normally see on other techie forms. Its great!

But onto my question:

Im in the midst of making a deal with a friend for the Toshiba 34" HD Ready Widescreen TV (34HF83)

Doing my research over the past couple of weeks, ive read about convergence issues, banding issues, geometry issues, white glow, 1080i hdmi issues with the toshiba 34HF83. To be honest, i have an idea of what these issues but is this with every toshiba 34HF83 set? Like, im soo confused. Im a techie and all, but even this is slightly boggling to me. Can someone briefly explain this to me? Should i continue searching for the best crt hd tv? Or just get this model? I just want a realiable HD CRT tv for my games and movies. Thats all. No hassles.

My friend told me his tv was particularly good and has had no issues at all. I've yet to test it out my self according to my standards

Ive considered the sony xbr960 or the XSS models but they're extremely difficult to find in Toronto, Canada.

SO, my question is, IS this model, 34HF83 any good? Is it realiable? Is it worth the $220 price tag ( its being sold with stand and home theatre, Omega speakers and a Reel subwoofer)

Im gaming with it - HDMI - DVI converter by HDfury. I really dont want to have any of those issues, convergence, banding, etc. If i do, i'd be really upset if that was the case. I've also heard the HDMI outlets on the toshiba and sony models give owners a real hard time. Was there a partcular model in a certain year that didnt have these problems at all? Maybe a 'perfect' model?

Just plainly, someone tell me, from your experiences and knowledge, is this tv worth it for what i want? Or should i keep looking?

Any replies would be greatly appreciated, im desperate for my gaming tv and im very impatient with all this searching and reading. Its been nearly two months already! Please help!
post #1364 of 1387 Old 02-16-2011, 08:09 AM

Another 34HF83 owner. Building my theater right now and having a hard time justifying buying a new TV. The only competition for my TV I've seen is a Pioneer Elite plasma.

Would love to figure out a legit way to incorporate HDMI
post #1365 of 1387 Old 02-19-2011, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by music_to_my_ear View Post

Im in the midst of making a deal with a friend for the Toshiba 34" HD Ready Widescreen TV (34HF83)

Doing my research over the past couple of weeks, ive read about convergence issues, banding issues, geometry issues, white glow, 1080i hdmi issues with the toshiba 34HF83. To be honest, i have an idea of what these issues but is this with every toshiba 34HF83 set? Like, im soo confused. Im a techie and all, but even this is slightly boggling to me. Can someone briefly explain this to me? Should i continue searching for the best crt hd tv? Or just get this model? I just want a realiable HD CRT tv for my games and movies. Thats all. No hassles.

SO, my question is, IS this model, 34HF83 any good? Is it realiable? Is it worth the $220 price tag ( its being sold with stand and home theatre, Omega speakers and a Reel subwoofer)

I have the 34HF81 (two years older than the '83) and it's still going strong.
It won't sync on 720p, and the internal deinterlacer is crap, but otherwise it looks great. I feed it a 1080i signal and do my de-interlacing in my PC, cablebox, or blu-ray player. It's good enough I'm not going to upgrade until the prices for good 55" LCDs come down a little more.

efball@efball.com
post #1366 of 1387 Old 02-23-2011, 04:03 PM
Advanced Member

All was well this afternoon; I watched Netflix via Blu-ray on the HDMI input. Then I powered down. I vaguely recall hitting the "input" button about the same time and wondering whether it would power up in HDMI or the next sequential input.

Surprise! It powers up in digital input and says there are no channels, then demands I hit "channel up" to search for them. Well, that's fruitless, I have no cable or satellite TV receivers. But I can't move to the next input, much less to HDMI. I tried pressing "reset" twice, but that does nothing.

Anyone seen this problem? What else can I try - short of calling a TV repairman? Frankly, this 200-pound tube TV is so inferior to the new LCDs that I'm tempted to go into debt to buy a new set. But I can't afford to be hasty if there's an inexpensive solution to recovering my HDMI port.
post #1367 of 1387 Old 02-23-2011, 10:37 PM

Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by efball View Post
I have the 34HF81 (two years older than the '83) and it's still going strong.
It won't sync on 720p, and the internal deinterlacer is crap, but otherwise it looks great. I feed it a 1080i signal and do my de-interlacing in my PC, cablebox, or blu-ray player. It's good enough I'm not going to upgrade until the prices for good 55" LCDs come down a little more.
How can you de-interlace something (thus making it progressive scan) and then output it again at 1080i? That doesn't make any sense. Also if any of these HD CRTs have de-interlacers wouldn't they only function in 480p/540p mode since that's the only way to display a progressive signal on an HD CRT (720p input is displayed at 1080i).
post #1368 of 1387 Old 02-24-2011, 11:48 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

How can you de-interlace something (thus making it progressive scan) and then output it again at 1080i? That doesn't make any sense. Also if any of these HD CRTs have de-interlacers wouldn't they only function in 480p/540p mode since that's the only way to display a progressive signal on an HD CRT (720p input is displayed at 1080i).

The internal deinterlacer was used to convert 480i to 480p, and it's crap. The reds on video sources bloomed out and smeared. Your right I don't de-interlace to get 1080i. I use use a DVDO Ultra to convert 480i to 480p. Most of my sources these days are 1080i.

efball@efball.com
post #1369 of 1387 Old 02-24-2011, 12:35 PM

I have a 30HF66 and it will only display in 540p if you are providing it a 480p signal which is the way they designed it. If you input a pure 480i signal and you select 540p you don't get 540p it just stays in 1080i mode (you can tell because you don't see the screen resync and in menus you can tell it's still showing interlaced). In that sense the DVD player or whatever your source is would be doing the deinterlacing wouldn't it? Are the older Toshiba sets more advanced in that they will truly show a 480i input as 480p/540p?
post #1370 of 1387 Old 04-02-2011, 09:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by efball View Post

The internal deinterlacer was used to convert 480i to 480p, and it's crap. The reds on video sources bloomed out and smeared. Your right I don't de-interlace to get 1080i. I use use a DVDO Ultra to convert 480i to 480p. Most of my sources these days are 1080i.

Efball, so you only de-interlace with your 480i sources? Dvds only? Why else would you need to de-interlace on this tv? And since you have to de-interlace using an external device because apparently the tvs processor is sub-par, would it be best to use a dedicated video processing unit for home theatres?

Quote:
Originally Posted by hoffo View Post

I have a 30HF66 and it will only display in 540p if you are providing it a 480p signal which is the way they designed it. If you input a pure 480i signal and you select 540p you don't get 540p it just stays in 1080i mode (you can tell because you don't see the screen resync and in menus you can tell it's still showing interlaced). In that sense the DVD player or whatever your source is would be doing the deinterlacing wouldn't it? Are the older Toshiba sets more advanced in that they will truly show a 480i input as 480p/540p?

Thats also my question hoffo, i also want to know if thats the case - if the source is doing the de-interlacing, you dont need to rely on the set at all for de-interlacing - which means - the picture is just stunning?

Also, do you guys think anything not de-interlaced through an external device, will suffer? What about a ps3 or xbox 360? Will it suffer the same fate?

Also, have you guys tried hooking up a pc to the device? I purchased a hdmi to dvi cable, waiting to test this out myself
post #1371 of 1387 Old 04-12-2011, 04:54 PM

Haha, no answers? I knew my questions would be too hard
post #1372 of 1387 Old 04-30-2011, 08:01 PM

Recently my Toshiba 30HF66 is emitting a high pitched squeal after it has been running for a few hours (after it heats up). I bought it new in 2008 so it's only 3 years old and hasn't seen a ton of hours just fairly light usage over that period of time. Sometimes when switching from 1080i to 540p or vice versa the squeal will go away. Is this something to be concerned about? Possibly a failing component or just a loose coil somewhere that is resonating after the set warms up?
post #1373 of 1387 Old 05-02-2011, 08:32 PM

^^^ anyone?
post #1374 of 1387 Old 05-05-2011, 09:04 AM

Just replaced a flyback problem on one. Could be that but I doubt it. Usually, it's a transformer inside or a coil that is loose. If you know what to do, you could open the back cover and try to diagnose where the squeal is coming from. If it's from the flyback, it could be going bad. Mine was ASTI part number 3943 but it was a 34HF85C. Usually, a coil or some other transformer's magnet is loose and with some silicon or epoxy you can solidy it. Of course, this should be left to a tech but if you find where it's coming from you should DIY.
post #1375 of 1387 Old 05-07-2011, 07:47 PM

Great thanks for the info. I'm leaning toward something loose because it only happens after the set has been on for 2-3 hrs or more. Seems to be something expanding due to heat and then it starts making some noise. It's intermittent in how loud it is and when it comes and goes. I'll think I'll just let it go and hope it lasts a while despite the annoyance. I don't have enough skills to open it up and do it myself safely.
post #1376 of 1387 Old 07-17-2011, 09:36 PM

(i originally posted this on "dont dump your rptv thread")

i have a problem with my toshiba rptv 43jh9um(dont look it up on google its nowhere on the internet its east asia specific)

well anyways the problem is, it has been with me for 5 years without any problem but recently this thing happened that when i switch it on it does produce that chinnnng sound when you open a TV and then after i think 2 secs it goes dooop just like when you stand-by your tv but the red light on the tv keeps on.... other thing is when it sometimes does get on after a while i get black flickers on the screen they grow and suddenly the tv goes on standby and does not open again...!!!! i called the people from service center and literally they were idiots....first they dint know how to open the t.v then they fried up the fuse ! then they said i have a problem in my main-board and the fee is huge 60% of the original cost..!!! i ask them to provide me the service manual but they wont...some policy they said..!!!

so i want to know what can be done , should i dump it or can something useful be made out of it..!!!

Any kind of help will be greatly appreciated

Thanks,
Talha

i know its an old thread but i cant find any post much more matching to my problem then this one..!!! thank you
post #1377 of 1387 Old 02-04-2014, 09:52 PM

I recently bought a Toshiba 16 x 9, HD tube TV, model # 30HF85 on the cheap to replace a 24" Sony tube TV(SD, 480p only) in my back office room. I hooked up this TV to A T & T U-Verse cable box and set the resolution setting to 720p. (would 1080i be a better setting?) I have the cable box hooked up to TV using component video cables and a Blu Ray player hooked up to this TV by HDMI. Blu Rays look okay on this TV but seem I get some faint looking wavy flutter(not noiticeable much but just enough to be annoying).

I am totally satisfied with how cable looks in HD on this TV but was wondering if this issue with Blu Rays is something that can be corrected? Or is it due to the TV being older(it's a 2005 model) and other technical reasons?

I'm not a tech savvy person  but I am trying. Any help and/or advice and feedback would be greatly appreciated. I have a larger, more expensive flat screen(1080p) in my living room but can't afford another one in my office room right now hence trying to get by with this older Toshiba HD tube TV for now.

My electronics:

42" LG LED TV(2014 -1080p) / 42LN5400

30" TOSHIBA HD flat screen TV(2005 - 720p) / 30HF85

Samsung BD player / BD-E5300

Toshiba BD player / BDX-2150

post #1378 of 1387 Old 02-05-2014, 10:24 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Make sure the BR is set to put out a higher resolution. Brightness too low can also make some waviness in dark scenes stand out (at least what I think you're referring to and what I see on my Panny CRT HDTV - do you see it in all scenes?). Coupled noise is also a possibility.
I'd try the BR on component if it has component and see what happens. Also try the U-V on HDMI.

720p will be better for motion but 1080i higher resolution, of course on this size TV you probably won't notice the res difference. But I don't know of a CRT TV that can actually display 720p, I suspect this one converts it to 1080i (could be a menu setting to pick the conversion output). I'm surprised it can even accept 720p, not many could.

post #1379 of 1387 Old 02-05-2014, 10:36 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 14
I got the 26" model, 26HF85, a few weeks ago. I have the original manual and remote. The manual mentions a 540p mode. Also, just a little googling shows a lot of complaints from owners back in the day about a "jittery," "unstable," "wavy," or "just plain weird looking" picture early in its life cycle. I haven't had the chance to put mine through a battery of tests yet, but I would try 1080i as that set scales to that resolution when it is used. Also, try the 540p mode, when using either 720p or 1080i. I know, I know, not the highest resolution, but there is a chance its appearance may be more stable than the others. I'm guessing that may be the reason this feature was included with this line of TV.
post #1380 of 1387 Old 02-15-2014, 05:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

Make sure the BR is set to put out a higher resolution. Brightness too low can also make some waviness in dark scenes stand out (at least what I think you're referring to and what I see on my Panny CRT HDTV - do you see it in all scenes?). Coupled noise is also a possibility.
I'd try the BR on component if it has component and see what happens. Also try the U-V on HDMI.

720p will be better for motion but 1080i higher resolution, of course on this size TV you probably won't notice the res difference. But I don't know of a CRT TV that can actually display 720p, I suspect this one converts it to 1080i (could be a menu setting to pick the conversion output). I'm surprised it can even accept 720p, not many could.

I adjusted the brightness setting. No change. I tried watching a Blu Ray on this Toshiba TV last night and got the same dark, horizontal shadow that flutters and moves up and down the screen. It's just noticeable enough that it makes trying to watch a BD on this TV impossible to enjoy. I also tried playing a standard DVD on this TV in the Blu Ray player and got the same wavy, shadowy horizontal lines. I tried both 540p and 1080i settings and got these lines playing both a Blu Ray and DVD in the Blu Ray player on this TV.

I then played a DVD in a multi region DVD player also connected to this Toshiba TV...and saw no shadowy horizontal lines. My conclusion is that this TV will display HD cable programming fine and also plays standard DVDs just fine...but not Blu Rays.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

I got the 26" model, 26HF85, a few weeks ago. I have the original manual and remote. The manual mentions a 540p mode. Also, just a little googling shows a lot of complaints from owners back in the day about a "jittery," "unstable," "wavy," or "just plain weird looking" picture early in its life cycle. I haven't had the chance to put mine through a battery of tests yet, but I would try 1080i as that set scales to that resolution when it is used. Also, try the 540p mode, when using either 720p or 1080i. I know, I know, not the highest resolution, but there is a chance its appearance may be more stable than the others. I'm guessing that may be the reason this feature was included with this line of TV.

I tried both the 540p and 1080i resolutions and continued to have the issue of dark, shadowy, horizontal lines popping up intermittently while playing a Blu Ray in my BD player. When I played a DVD in my multi region DVD player the lines were gone.

Thanks for the replies. I'll keep this TV as a back up unit and simply look to purchase an HD flat panel TV for my back office room in the near future.

My electronics:

42" LG LED TV(2014 -1080p) / 42LN5400

30" TOSHIBA HD flat screen TV(2005 - 720p) / 30HF85

Samsung BD player / BD-E5300

Toshiba BD player / BDX-2150

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page