Toshiba HD CRT TV Owners: Problems, Fixes, Solutions, Services....Discuss Them Here!! - Page 47 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-15-2014, 11:03 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 20 Post(s)
Liked: 41
Quote:
Originally Posted by packmule View Post

I tried watching a Blu Ray on this Toshiba TV last night and got the same dark, horizontal shadow that flutters and moves up and down the screen.

Based on that movement description it's probably pointing more to 'Snake's reply. Mine was more of a contour outline around images like dropping a pebble in water.

I don't know if your reply meant you tried this: "I'd try the BR on component if it has component and see what happens. Also try the U-V on HDMI."

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-15-2014, 09:19 PM

Quoted: 8 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Does your BluRay player perhaps have a "deep color" mode? With an option to turn it off? This is an advanced feature that harms the image when using it with older televisions that do not support it.
Old 02-22-2014, 07:59 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
I don't know if your reply meant you tried this: "I'd try the BR on component if it has component and see what happens. Also try the U-V on HDMI."

Neither of my two Blu Ray players has component video connections, only HDMI ports.

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post

Does your BluRay player perhaps have a "deep color" mode? With an option to turn it off? This is an advanced feature that harms the image when using it with older televisions that do not support it.

I went into the Blu Ray player connected to the HD Toshiba TV and adjusted the resolution to 1080i and turned off the "deep color" setting. Result: a faint but noticeable, thin white line moving rapidly from left to right when the TV is dark(or darkened between bright scenes while a BD is playing). I then adjusted the resolution to 720p and resumed BD play on this TV. Result: no issues at all and the BD plays fine.

It would appear that I neglected to adjust the Blu Ray player resolution to 720p before playing BDs on this TV. :eek:

My electronics:

42" LG LED TV(2014 -1080p) / 42LN5400

30" TOSHIBA HD flat screen TV(2005 - 720p) / 30HF85

Samsung BD player / BD-E5300

Toshiba BD player / BDX-2150

Old 02-23-2014, 09:23 AM
AVS Special Member

OK, did you try the other one - U-verse box on HDMI?

Yeah that's odd as the TV should be fine with 1080i. Sounds like that potential aforementioned Toshiba issue or your Blu-ray player is faulty. Me, I'd prefer 720p over 1080i on this small of a screen (motion vs. resolution) if the TV actually 'natively' displayed 720p (doubtful).

Old 02-23-2014, 09:31 PM

Quote:

OK, did you try the other one - U-verse box on HDMI?

Yeah that's odd as the TV should be fine with 1080i. Sounds like that potential aforementioned Toshiba issue or your Blu-ray player is faulty. Me, I'd prefer 720p over 1080i on this small of a screen (motion vs. resolution) if the TV actually 'natively' displayed 720p (doubtful).

I have connected the U Verse cable box into the '05 Toshiba HD tube TV...and the image looked fine with the TV set to either 1080i or 720p resolution. I typically connect my cable boxes to my HD TVs using the component video cables. Why? Back in 2008 when I switched to U-Verse(from Comcast) the U Verse field techs(there were two) both told me that their cable boxes are sometimes "twitchy"(prone to malfunctions) when connected to HD TVs via the HDMI ports(each cable box has one). I asked for specifics and both techs said it had to do with overall picture stability: connecting my TVs to their cable boxes with HDMI cables might prompt pixelation and/or picture "freeze" or lock up issues. I did experience some intermittent(though not what I would call frequent) pixelation when I had one of my TVs connected to a cable box via HDMI just out of curiosity. Afterwards I simply connected both of my TVs to my cable boxes using the component video cables and have experienced no issues at all.

Currently my 30" Toshiba flat screen HD tube TV is connected to a U Verse cable box using component video cables and is connected to a Blu Ray player via HDMI. (the TV has a single HDMI port in back). I have the TV's resolution set to 720p for cable reception(no issues) and I have adjusted the connected Blu Ray player so its "deep color" mode is OFF and the selected resolution is 720p. I have played two(2) Blu Ray movies on this older HD Toshiba TV with the BD player's deep color setting off and the resolution at 720p and the image of both Blu Rays looked great with no issues at all. FYI

My electronics:

Old 02-24-2014, 10:33 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by packmule View Post

I have connected the U Verse cable box into the '05 Toshiba HD tube TV...and the image looked fine with the TV set to either 1080i or 720p resolution.

That looks to point to an issue with the Blu-ray player or interoperability with the CRT (HDMI cable? but seems unlikely since everything else works OK). But glad you have a solution worked out.

I would think the newer U-verse boxes resolved that "twitchy" problem unless it's specific to CRT HDTV's. I mean everything is pretty much HDMI these days, some TV's don't have component inputs anymore. You may be missing out on anything HDMI-specific like digital audio (assuming the TV's are capable of decoding it). I think my mom has gotten U-verse replacements no charge when she had problems; seemed like one they did just to get her stuff updated, I know she's been thru a few remotes.

Old 02-25-2014, 02:35 PM

Quote:

I would think the newer U-verse boxes resolved that "twitchy" problem unless it's specific to CRT HDTV's. I mean everything is pretty much HDMI these days, some TV's don't have component inputs anymore. You may be missing out on anything HDMI-specific like digital audio (assuming the TV's are capable of decoding it). I think my mom has gotten U-verse replacements no charge when she had problems; seemed like one they did just to get her stuff updated, I know she's been thru a few remotes.

I've had A T & T U Verse since May, 2008. I've had my livingroom cable box since the U Verse field techs first came out and installed everything. It's a larger, silver colored box with a DVR built in. I have a newer, wireless cable box(black colored) in my back office room of my basement apartment. There's a small, black colored gadget by my router(gateway device) which has a label with the words "WAP(Wireless Access Point)" on it-this device apparently controls the signal to my wireless cable box.

In the nearly six years I've been with A T & T U Verse(for cable and internet) I've had to replace one remote(replacement was sent to me free of charge), one router(the tech said it simply went bad) and the cable box in my back office room. I've found U Verse to be much more reliable than Comcast(who I had before) and they are more service oriented than Comcast as well.

My electronics: