Toshiba HD CRT TV Owners: Problems, Fixes, Solutions, Services....Discuss Them Here!! - Page 7 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 1387 Old 10-17-2005, 12:02 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by mkreef View Post

I've yet to encounter this, and I've been watching and recording (with DVR) the HBO HD channel. Same STB.

I would say Ditto (even on the entertaiment hutch size!), except the colors on my set need adjustment. Do you mind telling me your settings? Did you just eyeball it, use Avia/DVE, or have it ISF calibrated?

Eyeballed, although I would like to get a Avia disc just to make sure.
Color around 19,
Tint in the negative (-3 to -5)
Contrast around 19
I've had to learn to allow for a somewhat darker picture (brightness 25 to 28) on some sports in day games. And, my wife has a much better sense of color, so I just ask her if skin tones looks good. Unfortunately, with me its strictly amateur hour, but if it looks good to my wife and me, its good enough.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 1387 Old 10-17-2005, 01:23 PM

Again, a few people have already been absolutely blown away by the PQ difference on the 34HF85 after ISF calibration. Saying money very well spent. I, for one am getting it done as soon as Chad B visits Florida & again, if anyone lives in Florida as well we can probably get Chad down here a lot quicker!
post #183 of 1387 Old 10-17-2005, 07:40 PM

I picked up a hand held pattern generator from BK Precision Instruments http://bkprecision.com/www/np_search...tern+Generator and plugged it into the component input of my 34HF85. Very nice instrument, many display formats and patterns. Really simple to use but its pricey.

The most telling was the cross hatch. The RGB convergence was off but not terribly. The worse thing though was a distortion in the vertical lines at the bottom of the screen. Looked like a dozen or so lines are pullled to the left and form notches. This is not a simple fix and is only present in the 1080i signal along with the black weirdness described in an earlier post. It is aslo not very good on the high frequency signal side.

Not sure I am going to keep the set but I am still in my 30 return period. I need to noodle on an ISF calibration but I will bet these guys can't really open up my set and adjust the magnetics. If the problem is how the 34HF85 deals with the HD signal (or how it doesn't) then I'll exhange it for a Sony. Too bad becasue I like many things about the set especially the form factor but in the end it's the picture that counts.
post #184 of 1387 Old 10-18-2005, 05:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waltchan View Post

Someone is having a problem with a Toshiba 26HF85 and needs help desperately:

http://forums.animeondvd.com/showfla...fpart=all&vc=1

I really feel sorry for him.

(Walt, so even though you got your 34HF84, you're going to continue on this Orion/Toshiba crusade)?

Well yes, that sucks. But where did I read that the failure rate for the industry is close to 12% for all brands?

Besides, there was a big price cut from the 34HF84 and 34HF85 and the case changed, he should have done research before buying the TV, or bought from a different vendor that would allow him to return it.

That said, his problems are similar to what has been reported in this thread and what I was most concerned about: lines, flickering, and glow spots. Thankfully, I've got none of these issues out of the box. I'm using HDMI, both component inputs, and S-video.

The only complaint I can find with my 34HF85 is it needs to be calibrated and out of the box the colors look garish, which is true for most TVs some more/some less.

I will let you know what I think after a proper ISF calibration. I can't wait. If the ISF tech can not make my 34HF85 look any better, I'll join you with your "Orion sucks" comments.
post #185 of 1387 Old 10-18-2005, 02:38 PM

In my earlier post I mentioned two problems which turns out are related. The "kinks" seen in the crosshatch pattern are likely due to an error in one of the video chip sets responsible for video format translation. Whenever the format is changed the circutiry remaps the pixels. This problem on my particular set only occur at 1080i and all other formats are fine. The kinks are then errors in row/column placement in pixel mapping.

In normal HD broadcast this error is probably seen as a minor annoyance and most live with it thinking it's in the broadcast signal. Only a good pattern generator will reveal this.

I have gone through some fairly extensive analysis (more than I wanted to for a new TV) and did not reach my conclusion merely because the set is made in Thailand. The set is going back to Best Buy! It is indeed defective.

On another note, it is interesting in that the 34HF84 (last set made by Toshiba) and the 34HF85 (made by Orion) is eight pounds heavier. It's not the glass since the tubes are indentical (see me and Walts photos). Perhaps they tossed out a little too much for a leaner television; the baby may have went with the bath water.
post #186 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 05:42 AM

The cable guy came, he couldn't get the HD box to work. So we now know that the component inputs are completely defective. Toshiba customer service told me that I would have to call a service guy to come over. I figured I'd go down to best buy and just exchange it for a sony instead. It's more money, but when you're spending over $1000 you want to make sure you're not buying a $1000 pile of crap. All of the information on this site was very helpful in shedding some light on this television. Lesson learned...research BEFORE buying, don't just go on a company name.
post #187 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 11:48 AM

Quote:

Toshiba 34HF85 is assembled in USA by Orion America at Indiana with parts manufactured in Thailand and elsewhere.

How about that you take some last minute photos inside your 34HF85 before returning it back to Best buy for a Sony.

I'll try to take some photos before it is returned.

I was watching broadcast HD last night and changed the output of my TIVO to 720P and it looked really great. None of the wierdness mentioned in earlier posts. It seems that my 34HF85 only has problems with 1080i. How is 1080i on the 34HF84?
post #188 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 01:10 PM

The Sears repair man just left. At first he looked at the distortion waves on my 30HF85 and said It's raster. After trying some adjustments and finding the same problem from all input sources, he called Texas for tech support. They diagnosed the problem as being a bad scaler PCB and ordered a replacement which will get here next week. The tell tale sign was a one inch black band across the top of the picture when the TV was tuned to a static channel. It is under warrant but fyi the part cost is $236.67 and labor is $177.00. If I decide to keep it I am getting an extended warranty! I took two pics when he had the cover off. The tube has an Orion sticker.
post #189 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 04:31 PM

Quote:

Of course the Toshiba 30HF85 is made by Orion in Thailand. How can I be wrong here, although a few people here don't believe me still. Let's see the two photos you took, including the Orion tube sticker.

The problem I have is with your analysis not your opinion. To simply say a product is bad becasue of where it's made is not sound reasoning. One needs to supply proof rather than mere supposition. I came to the conclusion that my 34HF85 was faulty from an engineering perspective and I think that others need to go through a process to reach a conclusion that may be in agreement with your own. It is also fair to say that satisfied customers don't bother with posting on forums such a this so the sampling is not representative of the whole to say the least.

I would have kept my Toshiba if the 1080i video scalar was working correctly but since I am going to have this set for a long time I am going with a Sony. Your opinion was very helpful in making my decision and thanks for the informative posts you have made to this forum.
post #190 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 04:32 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 141 Post(s)
Liked: 275
ORION !!! ORION!!!

Walter... you're friggen killing me with the ORION crap!

You've got a nasty obsession.
post #191 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 05:42 PM

Quote:

Picked up my new Toshiba SD-K850 HDMI DVD player today. Only $80 at Costco. 1080i looks great in my 34HF84. I have no problems with the HDMI input at all. However, I'm getting occasional freezes on DVD. Kind of strange.

Good to hear. I exchanged my 34HF85 for a Sony 34HS420, will get it delivered on Saturday and BB is picking up the 34HF85 for me as well. Did notice that there were three discounted 34HF85's for sale at BB. Seems they are getting a few more returns other than mine.
post #192 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 06:23 PM

No problems with 1080i input on my 34HF85 via my Comcast DCT6412 or Sony DVP-NS70H.

Purely anecdotal, but I spoke to someone at my local BestBuy and he told me he hasn't seen any more returns for the new Toshibas than any other brand.

Scheduled ISF calibration for my 34HF85... can't wait!
post #193 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 07:24 PM

Walt, just checked the box of my 34HF85. It is version "A", what's the differecne you think?

mkreef are you using HDMI or component for 1080i?
post #194 of 1387 Old 10-19-2005, 09:00 PM

Quote:

It's the letter Orion uses to tell you what version the product is. Whenever there is a change in the technical design of the product, the letter moves up. Your 34HF85 is the first version. We'll wait and see what mkreef has. Maybe he has version B, which already eliminates the problems.

Makes me wish I had the "B" version.
post #195 of 1387 Old 10-20-2005, 05:36 AM

Quote:

mkreef, if you still have the original box, somewhere at the bar code sticker area, do you see the letter "A" or letter "B," which means version A or version B? You can also find this info somewhere at the back of your 34HF85 at the specification sticker, next to the bar code area.

I just looked, I have the A version.
post #196 of 1387 Old 10-20-2005, 05:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mdtiberi View Post

mkreef are you using HDMI or component for 1080i?

Both, I had the Comcast DCT6412 set to 1081i into the HDMI input for a few days. I switched to 720p and didn't notice any difference, so I switched back to 1080i.

When I got my Sony DVP-NS70H, I first hooked the DCT6412 up to component and paused an HDTV image and flipped back and forth between HDMI and component inputs. I didn't notice anything obvious, so I left it hooked up to component.

I then hooked up the Sony upconverting DVD player (set to 1080i) to the HDMI input, where I have left it. Have watched a number of DVDs and love it. Whether it is the upconverting or just the fact that I upgraded to a progressive player is not terribly important to me.
post #197 of 1387 Old 10-20-2005, 07:50 PM

Quote:

Hmmm, I guess the version B is not there yet.

Sounds like you guessed. Not suprising since most of your posts are baseless at least from a technical/engineering point of view. But heh, I bet you do a mean Pas de bourrée!
post #198 of 1387 Old 10-22-2005, 05:55 PM
Advanced Member

What is the difference between version A and B?

I'm not an expert, take my advice at your own risk.
post #199 of 1387 Old 10-22-2005, 11:23 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:

So far, I think all of the 34HF85s are still in version A. If there is any change in the technical design, the letters moves up, like A to B, then C from B, then D from C, then E from D, and so on...

Oh, I thought there was a B version available now.

I'm not an expert, take my advice at your own risk.
post #200 of 1387 Old 10-25-2005, 07:19 AM

Hey guys i'm new here and would like to say whats up ?

i have a big problem i just brought the toshiba 26hf85 and the picture quality was bad (looks fuzzy and a glow to it). that same day i had just thrown out the box not realizing i would need it .. i started to mess with the service menu to try to get better picture quality but i totally messed it up. i wrote down the numbers before i changed them but then i forgot where i put it.

could someone please give me the setting that were orignallly there beofre i messed it up.

Please i really need help.... i put alot into this t.v and made a truly honest mistake of throwing away the box so i can't return it. i just need the orignal settings that were there before i meesed it up. this is the only t.v i have now until i can get $$ for another one

thank you very much an advanced thank you thank you
post #201 of 1387 Old 10-26-2005, 01:19 PM

I just got the 34hf85 and so far I like it. One problem I have is when I connect the component cables into my TV and select Colorstream HD1 video source I can't access the Picture Size menu. Otherwise the picture works fine but it is annoying with the bars on the sides. The picture Size menu works if I use either a cable from my cable box or connect to the TV with an S Video cable. Then I can select theaterwide 1 which works very well. If I connect my DVD player with component cables then the picture size menu is accessible. Any thoughts. Thanks.
post #202 of 1387 Old 10-26-2005, 01:51 PM

Thanks Watchman. But it didn't work. Changed the aspect section from On to Off. Hmm, Any other ideas.
post #203 of 1387 Old 10-26-2005, 02:09 PM

I have a Toshiba 30HF85. I have it connected to my HTPC through the HDMI connector. The HTPC is running windows XP. It all works fine exept that when I'm not using the HDMI input for some period of time, but the TV is on, it "forgets" that the HDMI signal is there. The screen stays blank when set to HDMI unless I reboot the PC or disconnect and reconnect the HDMI cable.

anyone one else seen this???
post #204 of 1387 Old 10-26-2005, 02:53 PM
Advanced Member

I purchased a 30HF84 and all I can say is that I will never buy anything Toshiba makes ever again. And I mean that.

I have just recently developed the 480i input problem. The X-Box and the PS2 both do it, unless the game supports progressive scan. Thank the Lord that newest game I got for the Ps2 was actually progressive, or I would ten times as pissed as I am now.

Also, the worst thing about this set is the geometry. It is absolutely horrendous. I have tried tweaking in the service menu for hours and hours and it just cannot be fixed.

The HDMI input looks horrible. I spent a buttload of money on a Monster HDMI cable and actually switched back to the component input!

Overall, I highly caution everyone against buying this garbage. I am very very disappointed and can't wait until I can replace this crapper with a projector!

King Rygar
post #205 of 1387 Old 10-26-2005, 03:28 PM
AVS Addicted Member

1) You have a warranty for to address geometry problems. Use it...
2) You don't need to spend $$ for Mon$ter cables.
post #206 of 1387 Old 10-26-2005, 04:46 PM
AVS Addicted Member

If he gets it fixed to his satisfaction after warranty service, why would should he sell it?
That makes no sense whatsoever.
post #207 of 1387 Old 10-26-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Yeah... I did!

So why not get the set repaired under warranty? He can still get a 'projector' at any time.
Also... do you not think that if he was to sell the TV that he could get more money for one that works properly as opposed to one that looks 'absolutely horrendous'?
post #208 of 1387 Old 10-26-2005, 06:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crown of Iron View Post

I have just recently developed the 480i input problem.

Also, the worst thing about this set is the geometry.

The HDMI input looks horrible.

Are you referring to the picture out of sync in 480i mode? I had that problem with my 30hf84, they replaced the a/v board and it's been fine. Easy fix under warranty.

Some geometry problems on the 30hf84 were due to bad components and Toshiba came out with a service bulletin and fix.

Might be the device your using through HDMI. My Samsung TS160 HD receiver looks horrible with DVI-HDMI cable, but my Toshiba SD-V592 upconverting DVD player looks great through HDMI. (Especially with the new firmware) I also had to tweak the bias settings on HDMI to get it to look as good as component.

You should really find a good authorized Toshiba repair center before your warranty is up and let them have a shot at making it right.
post #209 of 1387 Old 10-27-2005, 08:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sandan View Post

I just got the 34hf85 and so far I like it. One problem I have is when I connect the component cables into my TV and select Colorstream HD1 video source I can't access the Picture Size menu. Otherwise the picture works fine but it is annoying with the bars on the sides. The picture Size menu works if I use either a cable from my cable box or connect to the TV with an S Video cable. Then I can select theaterwide 1 which works very well. If I connect my DVD player with component cables then the picture size menu is accessible. Any thoughts. Thanks.

Anyone have suggestions. I tried to turn off the Auto Aspect setting but it didn't help the problem.
post #210 of 1387 Old 10-27-2005, 09:10 PM

Quote:

Your TV comes with a 1 year labor and parts warranty. Why don't you use it, and then sell the TV.

Walter, I thought it was a 1 year parts and 90 day labor warranty.

Anyway, the Sears repair man came back yesterday to replace the scaler PCB and fix the distortion lines problem. The PCB was held in there by quite a lot of sodder so the whole procedure took over an hour. We got the cover back on and the TV back up (a two man job), plugged everything back in and voila, no picture. We got the menu to show up but no input from any source. The repair man checks with the local store and says I should just exchange it for a new one in (in the box). I called and confirmed that we had another 30 days to decide if we wanted to keep the second one and the repair man helped me box and load the TV in my truck.

Well the new one works fine. On SDTV if you stare at solid colors you can see some lines, but they are perfectly horizontal and most likely scan lines.

As with the old tv when 4:3 is stretched to fit the 16:9 screen you can see some artifact looking blocks of color in the center like [] size. Only a few every minute for a second or two each. Is this normal???
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page