Insignia HDTV - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
Closed Thread

post #1 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 11:09 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Had a few questions about the following Insignia brand HDTV, model number IS-TV040927 (can't link until i have 5 posts)

I plan to use this t.v. primarily for gaming on my xbox 360, would that be a wise bet for the low price it sells for (379.99)? Also, what is the resolution of this TV, I can't seem to find if it displays in 720p or 1080i. Finally, if anyone has experience or owns this TV, any opinions you may have on it. And if you guys have any other suggestions on a 720p HD that is under 600, I would definately appreciate it.

Thanks for the replies,
Darkshier
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 11:44 AM

all consumer CRT TV they are HDTVs or HD ready are 1080i
none display 720p

if they accept 720p it would be converted to 1080i on the current TVs
older TVs converted to 480p sometimes
post #3 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 03:56 PM

I'm also curious about this TV.
I'm trying to find an inexpensive entry level widescreen HDTV that is suitable for the usual stuff (movies, television) but also appropriate for videogames (no video lag).
Is this a safe buy?
post #4 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 04:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Details on "Insignia" products are usually extremely hard to get. Insignia is Best Buy's own brand label. They use contract manufacturers and then put their branding on the product.

I would tend to assume the TV has a 1080i native scan rate and might not have 720p input ... definately check the manual (which unfortunately they don't have on their site):
http://www.insignia-products.com/

It would be really interesting to know who the actual manufacturer is ... that would probably shed more meaningful info that anything.
post #5 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 04:53 PM

Sansui makes the TV if my quick internet search is accurate.
post #6 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 05:04 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kythlyn
Sansui makes the TV if my quick internet search is accurate.
My quick internet search indicates that Sansui doesn't make TVs ... again, they are a re-brand for Orion.

If that's accurate :)
post #7 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 05:07 PM

I got this tv a couple of days ago. I am very happy with it in the bedroom.
After adjusting custom with Avia it has a very nice picture. There is a 15% red and green push but still a very acceptable.

The analog tuner seems a bit weak but the HDTV tuner works great.
Acording to the manuel the tv will accept 720p. Remember that this tv no HDMI, just component for HDTV.

For me it was a great buy and I am getting a second one for the summer home.

Gary

PS I believe the tv is made by Orion
post #8 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 05:37 PM

So no 1080i? T_T Guess I should just cough up the dough for a Sony...
post #9 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 06:02 PM

No! The tv is 1080i and 720p is up converted.

Over the air 720p and 1080i both look just fine and no doubt both will work just fine using component input.

Best Buy has a 30 day return. If you don't like it you can take it back!

Hope that helps,

Gary
post #10 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 06:37 PM

Thanks... I would get it now, but I think I overestimated how much room I have... In my entertainment center the area for the TV is 27" wide and 22" tall. I'll probably have to get a 26-27"... PM me if you have some suggestions on that matter. :) Thanks.
post #11 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 07:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc
My quick internet search indicates that Sansui doesn't make TVs ... again, they are a re-brand for Orion.

The Sansui brand has been owned by Orion since the early 90s. Sansui TVs are made by Orion. The Sansui brand is going to be phased out by the end of this year to make room for Toshiba in the factories.

The Insignia 26" HD widescreen and 27" analog are made by Orion. The Insignia 27" HD is made by Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic, maker of the Advent and Prima HDTVs. The Insignia 26" may be a better choice because it's like Toshiba quality in my opinion.
post #12 of 83 Old 09-29-2005, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dt_dc

The Sansui brand has been owned by Orion since the early 90s. Sansui TVs are made by Orion. The Sansui brand is going to be phased out by the end of this year to make room for the Toshibas in the Orion factories.

The Insignia 26" HD widescreen and 27" analog are made by Orion. The Insignia 27" HD is made by Xiamen Overseas Chinese Electronic, maker of the Advent and Prima HDTVs. The Insignia 26" may be a better choice because it's like Toshiba quality, in my opinion.
post #13 of 83 Old 10-04-2005, 11:50 PM

To much surprise, the Insignia 26" at Best Buy does not have a headphone jack, although on their webiste it says it does. Hmmmmm....interesting.

I still want to buy this TV, but i need a headphone jack. I have speakers that have a headphone jack...but they only hook up to a television's headphone jack. Would a Y-adapter audio cable enable me to hook these speakers to the Insignia's analog audio out, instead of to it's invisible headphones jack?
post #14 of 83 Old 10-05-2005, 12:42 AM

I fail to see the problem
there are a wide range of adapters for audio connects
you can connect headphone plugs of different sizes, RCA to headphones, etc....

just get the TV you like
there will be analogue audio interconnect so you can connect your "speakers"
post #15 of 83 Old 10-13-2005, 04:11 PM

Problem is the output is not adjustable. I solved the problem by setting the speaker, sub-woofer level a bit low. Then I can boost the tv speakers to make up the difference.(Cheap computer speakers. Ok for the bedroom.)

Gary
post #16 of 83 Old 10-16-2005, 07:47 PM

Anyone know what ATSC decoder chip the tuner uses?
post #17 of 83 Old 10-16-2005, 09:36 PM

I saw this marked as a clearance item at BB. With the clearence coupon you can get this for around $325. At the store I think it said that it has a QAM tuner, but then checking the website is a little confusing. The product description on the site says it has an OTA HD tuner and that a set top box is needed for HD cable, but then it also says that it is Digital Cable Ready, which would mean it does have a QAM tuner built-in?
post #18 of 83 Old 10-17-2005, 12:05 PM

I bought this last Friday with the coupon 15% off.... I bought it at Delaware so no sales tax.. net cost is 380 - 57 = 323. I can tell you that it has OTA HD Tuner. No need set top box, unless you want HD programming from cable or satellite. I do not subscribe to Digital Cable, so I don't know about QAM Tuner.

It also accept 720p ( converted to 1080i) I tested this using XBox running XBMC and I can toggle 480i; 480p; 720p; and 1080i. Last two modes has blurry text, but i think it just because the font size is too small. Need to tweak the XBMC setting to increase the font size.

Watch football on HD... fox(720p) and cbs (1080i) it was great! cbs broadcast looks much better than fox, maybe because the conversion for fox broadcast. I'm using satellite, SD content looks better than on my 65" Mits.

Overall, GREAT set for the price. Without coupon (380) is a great value with coupon even better :)
post #19 of 83 Old 10-17-2005, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nycmanowar
To much surprise, the Insignia 26" at Best Buy does not have a headphone jack, although on their webiste it says it does. Hmmmmm....interesting.

i just got this TV today....yeah theres is no headset jack even though it says it does on best buys site. whats weird is is has a sleep timer and the site says it doesnt? someone was typeing to fast i guess.

i really hope this TV works out, its the only wide screen TV i can afford...i dont care about the hdtv turer or whatever the heck is in there. i just wanted it for dvd watching. i dont even have cable....

anyway i'll get back in a few days/weeks/months with a better review.

i found this thread through a google search of "Insignia 26" crap" ;) i hope it doesnt go that way for me......info on this TV is really hard to find so i figured it was my duty to registar and say my bit.

so far it's a little grainy but its still way better that the POS Phillips 20" flat screen thing i had.

and i think it has a really small brain/memory and alot to load through since it takes like 2 solid seconds to change channels from one to the next.

Smoke me a kipper... I'll be back for breakfast.
post #20 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 12:43 AM

The Insignia 26" performs very similar to the Toshiba 26HF85, except at a much lower cost. It's also made by Orion, same maker of the Toshiba 26HF85.
post #21 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 12:58 AM

I have this set altho it took two to get a good one ...the hd turner is quite good it is a little better than the RS 89.00 one and it will get hd and dig off basic cable 81-1 101-1,2,3,4 107-1,2,3,4, DOES this prove that it has a qam turner...the ota turner is showing higher sig str. and better pix and dropping out less then the RS...I dont know just how good the RS is so this may not be a total + for this set but for the money to be able to get all the channels in our area with a indoor ant and be 25 to 40 miles to the towers is quite goood I think.....again does the fact that I can get these 81-1----107-1 channels off the cable make this set have to have a qam????
post #22 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 01:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by svwindshadow
I have this set altho it took two to get a good one ...the hd turner is quite good it is a little better than the RS 89.00 one and it will get hd and dig off basic cable 81-1 101-1,2,3,4 107-1,2,3,4, DOES this prove that it has a qam turner...the ota turner is showing higher sig str. and better pix and dropping out less then the RS...I dont know just how good the RS is so this may not be a total + for this set but for the money to be able to get all the channels in our area with a indoor ant and be 25 to 40 miles to the towers is quite goood I think.....again does the fact that I can get these 81-1----107-1 channels off the cable make this set have to have a qam????
ahhh? i dont undersatnd most of your post........i cant really help you i guess...all i know is the picture is wider and not squashed plus it didnt cost me 700 like all the others in this field...the LG's next to it did look better around the edges but not enough to spend $400 more.

since i dont have cable, i will confirm the 2-13 tuner is crap....i need the old school 13" 1985 tv to watch lost and CSI.......i hate that. i cant get hardly anything in with my Godar RF antenne on this set.

post #23 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 12:53 PM

yeah I have been looking at this for xbox 360 but i wonder i the quality is on par with the sony 30" set.
post #24 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 01:43 PM

hello world .......

this is a good set for the money but not on par with the sony...imo... but for the dif in $ maybe something to consider.. I had to return the first one I bought and had a bitch of a time with bestbuy .... the hd turner was not working and they wanted to show how good it was working by connecting it up to cable... they said if the turner was working for basic cable it was not def. and I had to keep it ... took over an hour to get thru to them the dit in OTA HD TURNER AND STD TV TURNER
post #25 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 01:53 PM

thats ok, I couldn't use a tuner anyways, I live 6 miles away from our town, but there are trees everywhere, there is no possibility to get over the air signals at all.
post #26 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 02:21 PM

Could someone tell me how big a 4:3 picture would be in diagonal inches on a 26" wide set? Is it more than 20"?
post #27 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 03:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerGirl
Could someone tell me how big a 4:3 picture would be in diagonal inches on a 26" wide set? Is it more than 20"?
its just over 21.5 inches.

post #28 of 83 Old 10-18-2005, 04:00 PM

how is the 4:3 mode on this tv? are their different options? info please
post #29 of 83 Old 10-19-2005, 02:21 AM

now that ive had it for a couple days im noticing some faint lines that go from top to bottom the entire lengh of the screen about every half inch.

im curious if this is because im useing only the regular RCA jacks for the DVD player...if i get a S- Video cable or use the componate jacks will this go away or is it bc its a lower quality set?

( they are not bold lines but faint and definatly there. what do you think?) (HELP!)

post #30 of 83 Old 10-19-2005, 08:24 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by forget_your_life
now that ive had it for a couple days im noticing some faint lines that go from top to bottom the entire lengh of the screen about every half inch.

im curious if this is because im useing only the regular RCA jacks for the DVD player...if i get a S- Video cable or use the componate jacks will this go away or is it bc its a lower quality set?

( they are not bold lines but faint and definatly there. what do you think?) (HELP!)
You're using composite cables for your DVD player?? I don't know if that's the cause of this problem, but if you have the option, you should always use component to connect your DVD player and TV, the quality will be much better.

Try that out and see what happens, and let us know.

How's SD programming on this set?
Closed Thread Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page