The OFFICIAL Panasonic 26", 30", 34" WX15 HDTV Thread... - Page 10 - AVS | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 730 Old 01-05-2006, 03:13 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I used INHD TuneUP. I got TW in Manhattan and DVR'ed it to record. Comes on at 700am every Saturday. I used my AVIA Disc for my DVD and XBOX 360. I then used INHD Tuneup for my regular TV viewing, since it comes in HD and at 1080i.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 730 Old 01-05-2006, 07:38 PM

just got my avia disc. cant wait to mess around with it. does anyone know if it can fix overscan?
post #273 of 730 Old 01-06-2006, 01:02 PM
Advanced Member

just a question i took a quick call to CC to ask if they carry the 34" they said no but there expecting a new model to come in within this week, is it true
post #274 of 730 Old 01-06-2006, 07:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ballz2TheWallz View Post

just a question i took a quick call to CC to ask if they carry the 34" they said no but there expecting a new model to come in within this week, is it true

a new panasonic?
post #275 of 730 Old 01-06-2006, 09:32 PM

Delete
post #276 of 730 Old 01-07-2006, 06:32 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
So, some people in this thread are talking about overscan. Is this just like the set is zoomed in too far? Because I think I notice a little of it on some HD cable channels. What are the values in the SM to correct it?
post #277 of 730 Old 01-08-2006, 08:50 PM

ok...i got a couple of questions here
1) what exactly is that loud "flicker" when u turn the tv on? like, when i turn it on, it goes thru this thing, then the tv does like a fizzing noise.

2) im sure i have overscan on this tv, since i havent changed anything in the service menu. but i was wondering how do i check how bad it is? i dont have HDTV or an xbox 360 yet...any ideas?

3) when u change the settings in the service menu, does it do that for each signal coming in (480p/1080i), or per input (component 1, 2, etc).

4) are all the hex numbers people are putting up, the stock hex numbers, or the hex numbers they used to fix the tv?

sorry if my questions are hard to understand, im still getting use to this whole HD era of things
post #278 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 04:41 AM

NOSintake.....
Can't answer all your ?s, but as for #1......The "fizz" or "hiss" you hear when you first turn the set ON is an auto-degaussing circuit; it's supposed to do this for a second or 2....both my Samsungs do it...hey, even my Mom's 20-year-old Zenith does it!! (although, sadly, her set's so ready for that big Parts Counter in the Sky, no amount of degaussing will help it.....)
As for your other queries.....be patient....others here will be by to help answer them for you....
post #279 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 09:18 AM
AVS Special Member

I thought I'd share my settings for the HDMI cable box connection:
Mode Standard
Picture 38
Brightness 40
Color 26
Tint 24
Sharpness 9
Natural Color Off
Video NR On
VM On
Mpeg NR On
I've set these by "eye" over the last few weeks, and think I've tweaked the picture quality very nicely for my cable signal using IN HD Tuneup last weekend. During yesterdays game on CBS HD, the black of the Steeler's helmets and the Bengals uniforms were indeed deep black, while still being able to differentiate each ripple and seam in the uniform. The Steelers gold was the correct color, judge by having a middle '70s "terrible towel" handy for reference. The Giants' helmets were vivid blue and red, and all programming in HD, especially Discovery and IN HD, is bright, vivid and colorful while being natural appearing.
post #280 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 09:40 AM

I have a similar ghosting issue on my flat crt monitor. The monitor ghostung however is a bit different, its not an image ghost more than a whitish glow around bright objects in dark backgrounds. As my research explained it to me, it seems to be caused by reflections of light within the tube that bounce back as a secondary ghost image, this is solely on these flat crt screens. Perhaps somehting similar is the cause on our panny's.
post #281 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 01:02 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by NOSintake View Post

ok...i got a couple of questions here
1) what exactly is that loud "flicker" when u turn the tv on? like, when i turn it on, it goes thru this thing, then the tv does like a fizzing noise.

2) im sure i have overscan on this tv, since i havent changed anything in the service menu. but i was wondering how do i check how bad it is? i dont have HDTV or an xbox 360 yet...any ideas?

3) when u change the settings in the service menu, does it do that for each signal coming in (480p/1080i), or per input (component 1, 2, etc).

4) are all the hex numbers people are putting up, the stock hex numbers, or the hex numbers they used to fix the tv?

sorry if my questions are hard to understand, im still getting use to this whole HD era of things

#3 -- Service menu settings are for the resolution, not input.
post #282 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 103 Post(s)
Liked: 75
Quote:

just got my avia disc. cant wait to mess around with it. does anyone know if it can fix overscan?

Yes, but like I said on the previous page:

Quote:
Originally Posted by AVfile View Post

... it will allow you to dial-in the overscan. These discs do not fix things automatically for you. They provide the tools (video test patterns, audio test tones, and great demo scenes) for you to do the job yourself.

So YOU must learn how, and do it for YOUR TV. The CRT is an analog device and every single one off the assembly line varies. Nobody else can post exact "hex codes" for your TV. It's not like hacking a DVD drive or computer part. There is no point posting "stock" values unless someone has a total disaster and their set is FUBAR. People post their calibrated values for interest's sake only and so far they are mostly just user menu settings, not service menu parameters.

This has nothing to do with HD by the way - overscan has always been an issue, and TV's have had service menus for the last 15 years or so.

You need to go through AVIA step-by-step following the instructions, and see their web site if you need more info. There is a test pattern for overscan that you must display with your DVD, while very carefully fiddling in the service menu of the TV. If you set it correctly then it will be correct for DVD res. Depending on the design of this particular TV it may or may not be correct for HD mode. So for that you will need a DVD player that upconverts (outputs HD res) or just worry about it when you get an HDTV receiver or 360. An ISF tech can also set it for you for all modes with his signal generator.

If this scares you, it should! You can do serious damage in the service menu and they are usually very cryptic and not user-friendly. You are wise to ask questions first, so don't be shy, but do be specific.

- AVStefan
If you like someone's post, just use the Like button to give thanks.
post #283 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 02:43 PM

Hoping AVfile and others in the know will respond to this--your advice has alreaday been informative and helpful...

I bought the CT26Wx15 for on Dec. 16 at Circuit City for $399 and only have a week left to decide if it's a keeper. I'm having problems with my set--ghosting and bowing--that others have already mentioned. I have a third problem--waviness in scrolling and static text/graphics. The ticker text on CNN, FOX, etc. has a gentle wave in it: starts a little high on the right side, dips, rises and rolls over the Panasonic logo, exits higher on the left side. Long words best reveal the wave pattern. Static graphics such as menu screens in XBox games or text-filled local cable channels (school districts, municipal channels) also show the waviness and tilt.

Simply put, is this something that can be corrected? is it related to slight bowing in screen?

I called Panasonic (busy signal? oh, yeah!), was given the number for the closest service center. Service shop can't schedule a pick-up for two weeks (I'm in Pittsburgh, where apparently tvs fizzle during the playoffs), and can't guarantee they'll get to it in a week even if I drop it off. I probably won't be able to get a technician's review before I officially own the tv on Jan. 16. And CC no longer has the 26' in stock.

I would truly appreciate your help. Thanks.
post #284 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 02:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by deathandtaxes View Post

Simply put, is this something that can be corrected? is it related to slight bowing in screen?

Both are signs of bad geometry. Unfortunately without some very finnicky magnet work inside the set, it can't be fixed. You will probably not be able to find a tech that knows how or is willing to do magnet work. With a set this low in price it is probably not in your interest to pay a pro to do it. I would recommend returning it for another while they still have them. If you still get a bad one try upgrading to the 30".

- AVStefan
post #285 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 03:34 PM

Thank you, AVfile. I have limited tech knowledge. I described the waviness problem to the service center tech, but he didn't (wouldn't?) address my specific problem. Could you tell a little more about geometry and magnets--and could I have in any way affected the tv(I'm not using a surround sound system or operating an MRI machine in the next room) or was it born this way? How typical are these problems with Panasonic and crt hdtvs in general? And will bowing and waviness increase over time?

And thank you for telling me the repair probably wouldn't be performed properly anyway. I'd like to limit my misadventures in HDTV to bulky boxes and back-breaking CRT lifting. The price and PQ of the 26" are the main reasons I held off on returning it. I've been trying to live with the defect because I only notice it in text and graphics, not in moving images. And the relatively low weight of 85 lbs. The 26" is no longer listed at CC (in-store or online) but still listed (at list price) on Panasonic's site. Seems like all the 26" crt hdtvs are disappearing. The 30" is there--and weighs 60 lbs. more (what accounts for all the extra weight? is it stuffed with country hams?) I will once again have to bribe friends to help with the move. So if 30" is the next logical step, would you stay with Pansonic or move to the Sony KV30HS420 or Toshiba's 30HF85 in the same price range? The CRT HDTVs just looked better than so many of the plasmas, lcd, etc. Thanks again.
post #286 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 03:48 PM
AVS Special Member

I have none of your problems with the 26" that I picked up. I do have overscan, but I have been unable to access the service menu with the remote. That may be a good thing! My picture is damn near perfect, and very acceptable to my eyes, and to anyone that is viewing this TV. So, are you being too critical? If not, you may be best to "pass up" this deal and get your credit toward another display. What would that be though? I chose this for the "deal" and the fact that it would fit in my cabinetry. Would I have gone for more bucks with a different set if this were not available? Probably, but remember, CRTs seems to be the best right now at displaying standard def TV, and that's mainly what's available. I assume you are in the same boat if you chose a 26" display vs. something with some "wow factor" size to it. By the way, I really don't like being in the holding pattern for some "new stuff" to come out of CES that will completely make us throw large sums of cash at the big box stores!
post #287 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 04:17 PM

Jim, you speakth the truth. I don't really want to spend another $300-400 for 4 more inches and 60 more lbs. The deal on the 26" finally brought me to the HD table--and just the table. I haven't ordered HD service ((through (ugh) Adelphia)) or bought an OTA antenna/tuner. The improved PQ on expanded basic cable or digital (tried both) has been great. An the ol' XBox looks splendid in 480p widescreen--even the startup screen looks better. And for a CRT, it's lightweight, easily lifted by two people. Because I only notice the bowing/waviness with text and graphics, I have considered keeping it. I would definitely exchange it for another if CC had more in stock, but they don't. Now that I've a taste of the HD (or in my case, its inherent ED powers), I don't won't to go back, nor do I want to wait for the new stuff. It's visual crack. Unfortunately for me, I just got a set with a few defects. And I'm a little worried it will only get worse with time. So you haven't noticed any tilt or wave on news/stock/score tickers? Any chance you want to trade tvs?
post #288 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 04:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Bad geometry seems to be very common in HDTV's at this price point. It is the nature of having a FLAT 16x9 tube (think of the physics) so I doubt it was anything you did. I've seen terrible geometry in several demo models all over town so they are probably just born that way. I don't know much about the magnet work except that they need to place special small magnets in very strategic locations on the tube itself and fiddle with them tediously, so the results would be hit & miss. I would never buy one of those demos and if a new TV was like that I would return it instantly.

I was all set to buy a top-line Sony KD-34XS955 (34" @ $2000, 200 lbs) on closeout when I noticed some minor geometry problems on the two demos in different local shops. Other guys in this forum have suggested it is also an issue with the XS and even the mighty XBR, however nothing so terrible as what you describe. Some happy owners had satisfactory magnet tweaking done. If the problem is severe in your case it may not be possible to fix. They do have amazing picture but that is a large, flat, wide screen to expect perfect geometry!

I guess in years past, when one paid $1500 for a Sony Wega SDTV for example, one got what one paid for! Sony was generally the best, and perhaps still are.

The best HDTV without obvious geometry problems that I've seen currently in stores is the more affordable Sony KV-30HS420. It's just a shame the cabinet is all silver. 30" would seem to be the sweet spot in terms of size (laws of physics) and price (quality control). My theory is the 26" @ $399 are not allocated enough time for setup in the factory.

- AVStefan
post #289 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 05:34 PM

for people talking about the words "bubbling" its because the screen is stretching. watch whatever has the text at the bottom in 4:3 mode, you will notice that it is not there. i also noticed that it isnt there in FULL mode.

AVfile- where can i find the test patterns for overscan in avia?
post #290 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 05:53 PM

NOSintake, FWIW, I've got waving text on all aspects--even Just (only noticeable in center where it's not being stretched fisheye-style) and 4:3. It's a gentle wave, not even a 1/4(?)" from straight and narrow. Remarkably annoying, though. Anyone else experienced this problem on their Panasonic or other tvs?
post #291 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 07:37 PM

thats the only one i get it on. for some reason full doesnt do it for me

since im on the subject..which is better? just or full?
post #292 of 730 Old 01-09-2006, 08:40 PM

NOSintake, I'm not sure if you're asking about my particular tv with its defects or the screen aspect in general. Apologies in advance for simply repeating what's in the manual. "Full" aspect uniformly stretches standard 4:3 content into a widescreen form, causing images to appear wider and shorter than normal. The "Just" aspect stretches the left and right edges of the 4:3 image but not the center, leaving most of the images in tact but distorting their edges--thus the bubbling/fisheying of text (which looks normal in the center of the screen). If the 4:3 content is letterboxed, "Zoom" almost fills the entire screen (little gray above and below). If 4:3 content is standard, I often watch it as is; stretching, uniformly or on the edges, just looks weird. On my set, bottom text waves on all aspects. Let me ask, are you seeing wavy text on your screen?
post #293 of 730 Old 01-10-2006, 05:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I would have to believe that a tech could realign that picture tube to get rid of that waving. I don't recall anyone else having that problem out of the box, so it must be just one little fix. Keep the TV and call the warranty repair person. And, then call your cable company and subscribe to the "real" high def stuff...it's worth it!
post #294 of 730 Old 01-10-2006, 05:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
I have the panasonic CT-36HL43 crt. Does anybody know how to get to the service menu for this model?

any help would be greatly appreciated!!!!
post #295 of 730 Old 01-10-2006, 10:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would have to fire it up and look in the menus for the exact location, but ALL test patterns are under Advanced AVIA from the main menu. There should be a sub-menu under video called Geometry or something.

One more hint for BAD GEOMETRY I almost forgot:

Try rotating the TV 90 degrees (yes relocating it in the room) to align the CRT differently in the earth's magnetic field. It might take a while (days) for it to have effect, or it might do absolutely nothing. Sorry I don't have any direct experience.... just a guess.

- AVStefan
post #296 of 730 Old 01-10-2006, 11:09 AM

Quote:

for people talking about the words "bubbling" its because the screen is stretching. watch whatever has the text at the bottom in 4:3 mode, you will notice that it is not there. i also noticed that it isnt there in FULL mode.

Gah your smart, your exactly right, the image is only being streched on the far sides to fit the screen. And i'm guessing it does this to preserve the overall image quality in the middle of the screen. I guess thats what it does in JUST mode, and in FULL mode it just streches the entire screen. So i guess i dont have a problem with that now. Now to only get my Ghosting problem fixed. I really need to call panasonic.
post #297 of 730 Old 01-10-2006, 11:35 AM

About 3 years ago I bought the panasonic 27" 4:3 Tv for $459 and the picture is excellent no ghosting no nothing. So I decided that I needed an HDTV to go with my xbox 360 so the only logical step would be to buy another tv. So I went to CC and bought the Samsung slimfit 4:3 Tv. I was very dissapointed in the pic quality of this tv plus all hd stuff was in letterbox, this tv does display 720p though, so I took the tv back. I then got the panasoic 26" for 399 because the week prior it was 699. I had the tv for a week and noticed a small nick in the screen so I returned for another one because I loved the pq soo much. I got the second one and then noticed the severe ghosting or image shift or color shift in the picture. I went to CC to replace it with another one and they were all sold out. So I spoke with the TV manager becasue my 30day period was almost up and he told me I could bring it back for an exchange after the 30days. So 2 weeks later, yestarday, I called CC and spoke to the same manager and he told me that they most likely wont carry the TV anymore becasue they sold the display unit, if I would have knew this I would have returned the TV to get my money back and bought someting in the $1,000 price range. So I went to a CC in my old neighborhood this past weekend and they had the TV but would not let me exchange it becasue the exchange after date was only valid @ the orginal CC
that wrote on the reciept. Now I'm stuck with a tv that has horrible ghosting problems. I also hooked up both of my pasonic through the same audio source to see if this was a problem across all crt's. There was no ghositng in my older TV and I viewed some dvds and games with great pq, but while looking at my 26" at the same time I could see the ghosting problem on all formats including my xbox 360, HD cable, DVD, and VCR. This tv sucks and I would recommend all of us who bought this tv to go to CC and demand a recall on this unit to at least give us credit to purchase another tv.

ps is it me or does this tv has a line of pixel on the right side of the tv that is discolored from the rest of the tv.
post #298 of 730 Old 01-10-2006, 06:22 PM

what exactly is pq?

and to logic122...why couldnt u take it back to the store u got it from, get your money back, and buy something else? ghosting isnt that big deal to me...i guess its cause im not some hugh tv buff
post #299 of 730 Old 01-10-2006, 06:32 PM

Quote:

what exactly is pq?

PQ is picture quality. Are you having any waviness in text on your 26"?
post #300 of 730 Old 01-10-2006, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by logic122 View Post

ps is it me or does this tv has a line of pixel on the right side of the tv that is discolored from the rest of the tv.

My 34" has a vertical line on the far right of the screen (about 1.5" from the screen edge.) Everything to the right of this line is a little brighter that to the left of it. It is only noticeable in 1080i when the image is bright, like the white ice in a hockey game. The line can be manipulated by stretching or moving the image in the service menu. Any ideas on what is causing this?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page