The OFFICIAL Panasonic 26", 30", 34" WX15 HDTV Thread... - Page 22 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #631 of 730 Old 06-06-2007, 11:23 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Wow - long thread, but very informative. I wish I would have found this last year when I first bought my 34" Panasonic Tau HDTV (CT-34WX15). Fortunately for me, I have not experienced any of the issues with the television that I've seen so many people post comments about.

In any event, I used to think that when I turned on the TV, the 4-5 click noises I heard before getting sound and picture were bizarre and perhaps indicative of a problem (as opposed to the 1-2 clicks on SD CRTs). However, I now know that it's normal - although I'm still not totally used to it. Power on takes 4-5 seconds which to me seems odd as I am so used to the SD CRTs which take about 2 seconds.

Nevertheless, I am writing to tell you HDTV owners and one person in particular who posted a question related to audio about something I've learned. I have a surround sound system connected to a Toshiba HD-A2 (HD DVD player)which is in turn connected to my Panasonic tv. Despite typically wanting to watch movies with surround, I still wanted to be able to watch the tv without having to turn on surround to get sound.

Most of the operating manuals for DVD players (incl HD DVD players) appear to indicate that you must choose BETWEEN digital audio or analog audio. However, you can connect both. More specifically, I have the digital out from the HD-A2 going to my surround sound system using an optical cable and a set of RCA analogue (Red and White/L and R) cables from the HD-A2 going directly to the tv. This way I can get sound from one or the other or both.

Whereas many if not all DVD/HD DVD players force you to choose between HDMI or Optical or Coax digital outputs, it appears that analog audio is almost always still output from the device. Therefore, for the person who posted his/her comments about connecting to a receiver and hearing a buzzing sound from the TV speakers, all you have to do is make the analogue connection as well and run the volume setting independently for each using the receiver volume or tv volume settings depending on which you choose to hear audio from.

I have had this TV for over 1 year and so far no complaints. It's just ashame that there is only 1 HDMI input as I'd love to be able to connect a Blu Ray player along side my HD DVD player one day and short of connecting it using component cables or perhaps spending a chunk of change on an HDMI switch, that isn't possible.

Finally, I wish I would have been able to address the often asked question as to whether this CRT HDTV was worth buy over and LCD/Plasma. The answer is YES (albeit to late as the HDTV CRT is now a thing of the past). HD LCD and Plasma have only recently narrowed the picture quality gap to HDTV CRT. Funny how even though as CRT HDTVs made their exit from the market (and were much cheaper) that they were still better in terms of picture quality! If you could stand to bear the size of the tv (mine is huge) and the limitation of screen size (only up to 34" in a 16:9 aspect ratio) than you'd be crazy to spend more on an Plasma if not moreso on an LCD! This is something my friends with panels are reminded of when comparing their hi-def pictures to mine as the picture is noticably better on mine!

For all of those about to flame and say that the direct view CRT HDTV only displays at a max of 1080i vs. say the Sharp LCD at 1080P, I suggest that the direct view is still better - if perhaps only up until recently. That's why Best Buy NEVER showed a direct view HDTV next to an LCD or Plasma as most people would end up asking why the CRT looked better - to which the answer (if honest) would invariably be, because HDTV CRT is superior. This is ESPECIALLY true when comparing a picture which is an SD one between the two types of tvs. But then, best buy would never run an SD signal into a Plasma or LCD because they look crappy. I sometimes wonder if (and in spite of) the higher prices for LCD and Plasma tvs, if CRTs aren't/weren't actually more expensive to manufacture and their margins lower! That would explain the manufactures hasty shift away from CRTs while they were still superior to LCDs and Plasmas.

I suppose I will one day buy a Plasma (provided relatively affordable SED tvs don't make it to market first) but in the meantime I am happy with mine! Lets just hope that Pioneers claims hold true and the next gen plasmas do prove to be better then our HD CRTs!

Thanks for all of those who have contributed and I hope that this thread continues as I have found it very informative and oft times entertaining!

J
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #632 of 730 Old 06-09-2007, 07:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
I have a 34x15 and a Sony 36xs955 and love them both. Once my wife gets out of hygiene school I am going to get bigger displays. Probably a LCD for upstairs since the room has alot of windows and thus light. Either a Plasma for my Man hole or a SXRD. In the end size does matter.
post #633 of 730 Old 06-18-2007, 11:03 PM

Okay so here are the results of the 2 hours I spent with the digital video essentials (DVE) HD DVD.

Contrast (aka Picture) = 28
Brightness = 34
Color = 21
Tint 30
Sharpness = 30**

** For whatever reason adjustments to the sharpness produced no change in the calibration index provided by DVE. In other words, the lines you'd see if it was set to high never appeared. As a result I went with the mid-point of 30 but I suspect it doesn't make much difference.

As far as the geometry tests, I am happy to report that the over scan was 5% top and bottom and approximately 5.1 - 5.2% side to side. I know that our set could probably go to as little as 2.5% but I can live with 5% so I am not going to venture into the SM to try to improve it.

Now on to more important business....I bought the Planet Earth HD DVD and am going to watch it to reap the rewards of my efforts tonight!
post #634 of 730 Old 06-25-2007, 05:43 PM

wow such an informative thread

i browsed all the pages to get ready b/c i recently received a yr old 26" and wanted to try and avoid any problems with it

i primarily will use this tv for an xbox360 and occasional tv viewing and was wondering if anybody with a 26er would mind taking some time out and either posting their 1080i service settings (and maybe 408i/p if they want)

i'm currently using something similar to JayCT-34WX15's regular menu settings for the box but would like to get the optimal quality for my set

thanks in advance!
post #635 of 730 Old 06-28-2007, 08:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Wow, I'm glad this thread is still going.

My display started having problems with the brightness flickering a month or so ago. It was happening off and on at first and would go away, but now the flickering has become a lingering frequent issue and it's very noticeable.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to solve this problem?

Think of the way candle light flickers, that's what my black level is doing.
This problem occurs through all inputs, and I have deduced that's it's not an issue with my AV receiver.

And yes, my display is calibrated and the black level was perfect before.
Thanks in advance, friends.
post #636 of 730 Old 07-01-2007, 09:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ResOGlas View Post

Wow, I'm glad this thread is still going.

My display started having problems with the brightness flickering a month or so ago. It was happening off and on at first and would go away, but now the flickering has become a lingering frequent issue and it's very noticeable.

Is anyone else having this problem? Is there a way to solve this problem?

Think of the way candle light flickers, that's what my black level is doing.
This problem occurs through all inputs, and I have deduced that's it's not an issue with my AV receiver.

And yes, my display is calibrated and the black level was perfect before.
Thanks in advance, friends.

Strange you mention that because I noticed a slight flicker just a few weeks ago. The things is, it was while I was watching Basic Instinct on HD DVD (Studio Canal). I played it back to see if it was the video or the TV but it appeared to happen at the same spot on the video so I assumed it was just that.

Since then it happened once more so now I'm wondering.
Which Pana do you have?
post #637 of 730 Old 07-01-2007, 09:53 PM

I have since revised my brightness setting to 38. The 34 was a low-ball of the setting resulting from DVE. But 38 is exactly in accordance with the test.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JayCT-34WX15 View Post

Okay so here are the results of the 2 hours I spent with the digital video essentials (DVE) HD DVD.

Contrast (aka Picture) = 28
Brightness = 38 (REVISED)
Color = 21
Tint 30
Sharpness = 30**

** For whatever reason adjustments to the sharpness produced no change in the calibration index provided by DVE. In other words, the lines you'd see if it was set to high never appeared. As a result I went with the mid-point of 30 but I suspect it doesn't make much difference.

As far as the geometry tests, I am happy to report that the over scan was 5% top and bottom and approximately 5.1 - 5.2% side to side. I know that our set could probably go to as little as 2.5% but I can live with 5% so I am not going to venture into the SM to try to improve it.

Now on to more important business....I bought the Planet Earth HD DVD and am going to watch it to reap the rewards of my efforts tonight!

post #638 of 730 Old 07-03-2007, 09:00 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Strange you mention that because I noticed a slight flicker just a few weeks ago. The things is, it was while I was watching Basic Instinct on HD DVD (Studio Canal). I played it back to see if it was the video or the TV but it appeared to happen at the same spot on the video so I assumed it was just that.

Since then it happened once more so now I'm wondering.
Which Pana do you have?

Next time it happens while watching an HD DVD, Blu-Ray disc, or DVD... Pause the movie and you will see that the flickering continues.

My display is the CT-30WC15, which is the Sam's Club version of the CT-30WX15, just with one less S-Video input.
post #639 of 730 Old 07-05-2007, 09:09 PM

Quote:

Next time it happens while watching an HD DVD, Blu-Ray disc, or DVD... Pause the movie and you will see that the flickering continues.

My display is the CT-30WC15, which is the Sam's Club version of the CT-30WX15, just with one less S-Video input.

It hasn't happened again in a while. I am praying it won't!

Any clue as to what the issue is or it's remedy?
post #640 of 730 Old 07-06-2007, 01:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

It hasn't happened again in a while. I am praying it won't!

Any clue as to what the issue is or it's remedy?

I am praying for a response in this thread.
post #641 of 730 Old 07-06-2007, 05:59 PM

Quote:

I am praying for a response in this thread.

Good luck. We Panasonic direct view HDTV fans seem like a dying breed...
post #642 of 730 Old 07-09-2007, 07:57 AM

Quote:

Good luck. We Panasonic direct view HDTV fans seem like a dying breed...

We certainly are. Just wanted to say that my 26WX15 (almost 2 yrs old) has not had that problem. Other than wishing it were a 34" like Jay's, I've had a good experience with mine...so far. Hope you get a suggested "fix" for yours.
post #643 of 730 Old 07-09-2007, 10:49 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 30
I actually WISH I could find one of these sets locally.

I remember having an older Panasonic Tau TV and using it for SD/EDTV and PS2 gaming.. it was the best TV EVER for that type of stuff. (Was a 27" model with 480i/p and 1080i support)

I ended up selling it when I got my XBR970, which I also don't have anymore, since I got a new DLP... but I was looking for a new tube TV for a friend of mine, but I couldn't find a Panny anywhere.. they ended up with a Samsung Slimfit, which looks OK, but I still think my old Panasonic looked waaaaay better.

I really wish I could find one of these units.. oh well.

Current HT setup:

Samsung UN65F6300 65" LCD HDTV, Polk CS20 Center, 2x Polk Monitor 75T Fronts, 2x Polk TSI300 Backs, Polk PSW110 Subwoofer.

post #644 of 730 Old 07-13-2007, 05:52 PM

Well apart from the smaller size, I can tell you that the picture on mine is just...breathtaking!

I'm just waiting for the day that Plasma PQ will equal that of an HD CRT...
Then maybe I will upsize!

Until then, I laugh when friends ask how my PQ looks better than their $3,000 Sony LCD...
post #645 of 730 Old 07-23-2007, 08:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Damn, i love that this thread is still going, even a couple years after i bought my 34wx15

I'm looking to get a new dvd player for the tv, currently have an RP62.

Anyone have any suggestions? i'm looking at various upconverting players (970hd, and the various Philips/Pioneer/Sony comparable models).

Thanks in advance
post #646 of 730 Old 07-25-2007, 01:02 AM

The Oppo 970 is good but the 981 is the better player as far as picture quality is concerned.
I'm a 971 owner. It really performs with the 34wx54.

intrepid enthusiast
post #647 of 730 Old 07-29-2007, 06:02 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Strange you mention that because I noticed a slight flicker just a few weeks ago.

Any updates on the flicker problem? Anybody?
post #648 of 730 Old 07-29-2007, 08:27 PM

Quote:

Any updates on the flicker problem? Anybody?

No flicker that I can report since last month or was it 2 months ago - thank g-d.

I suppose you don't have a fix yet? Shame. Such a great set....
post #649 of 730 Old 07-30-2007, 05:16 PM

Change of subject---I have lost my sound- The speakers say that they are on and I can adjust the volume on the remote- but no sound comes out. Does anyone have any suggestions?
post #650 of 730 Old 07-31-2007, 04:26 PM

This thread is huge!

But anyway I have a problem that I hope somebody can help me with. The sensor on my TV, I'm pretty sure, is broken. The remote won't work, and none of the other remotes that I program for it will work, either. So, I can't change the aspect ratio - I'm stuck on Widescreen. Do you know of any way to change the aspect ratio without a remote?

I have the CT-30WC15 - from Sam's Club. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty.

Any help you can give is much appreciated. =)
post #651 of 730 Old 08-01-2007, 11:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deepwater View Post

Change of subject---I have lost my sound- The speakers say that they are on and I can adjust the volume on the remote- but no sound comes out. Does anyone have any suggestions?

Have you moved the television around recently? Are you using the tv's speakers or are you connected to a receiver? Have you recently added any new devices with connections in the back of the tv or changed any of your existing connections in back of the tv?

intrepid enthusiast
post #652 of 730 Old 08-01-2007, 11:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKitFox View Post

This thread is huge!

But anyway I have a problem that I hope somebody can help me with. The sensor on my TV, I'm pretty sure, is broken. The remote won't work, and none of the other remotes that I program for it will work, either. So, I can't change the aspect ratio - I'm stuck on Widescreen. Do you know of any way to change the aspect ratio without a remote?

I have the CT-30WC15 - from Sam's Club. Unfortunately I'm out of warranty.

Any help you can give is much appreciated. =)

Ouch! No, I don't know of any other method to change aspect ratio.
Let's hope it turns out to be just the sensor and not the board that controls the sensor.

intrepid enthusiast
post #653 of 730 Old 08-02-2007, 09:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tomahawktim View Post

Ouch! No, I don't know of any other method to change aspect ratio.
Let's hope it turns out to be just the sensor and not the board that controls the sensor.

Sucks. =( Oh well, thanks anyway. And really, I wouldn't know how to fix either, so it's pretty much just broke to me now.

Good news - I just got a new TV! Samsung LN-T4665F! Heh - broke one is going in the bedroom now.
post #654 of 730 Old 08-20-2007, 09:55 PM

Has anyone "upgraded" from this set to an LCD or plasma? Does the picture compare? I'm thinkin about that 50" 1080p panasonic plasma, except that it costs 6 times as much as this did
post #655 of 730 Old 08-21-2007, 06:08 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 3 Post(s)
Quoted: 63 Post(s)
Liked: 25
My Hitachi p42h401 is set to arrive the 29th and will be taking the place of my 34wx54. That set is moving to another area. I will let you know how it stacks up to the Panasonic. I paid 150 dollars less for the Hitachi then the I paid orginally for the Panasonic with 8 more inches.
post #656 of 730 Old 08-21-2007, 09:40 PM

Jay, like yourself I have a ct-34wx15. Everyone will have different settings though - 'tis the nature of the beast. Mine are a bit similar but I've got my sharpness turned down to 0. Anyway, the set is still very very nice. As you may have seen in the threads, I took my overscan down quite a bit (of course the lower it went, the more you could see some geometry problems at the top (a slight spreading/hooking that is only visible if viewing 4:3 material).
post #657 of 730 Old 08-22-2007, 07:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FurKitFox View Post

The sensor on my TV, I'm pretty sure, is broken. The remote won't work, and none of the other remotes that I program for it will work, either.

Same thing happened on my CT-34WX54, and I found several other references to the same problem around the web. I was hoping someone here would have a magical solution. Ah well, time to shell out for a service call.
post #658 of 730 Old 08-23-2007, 07:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N'Yeti View Post

Jay, like yourself I have a ct-34wx15. Everyone will have different settings though - 'tis the nature of the beast. Mine are a bit similar but I've got my sharpness turned down to 0. Anyway, the set is still very very nice. As you may have seen in the threads, I took my overscan down quite a bit (of course the lower it went, the more you could see some geometry problems at the top (a slight spreading/hooking that is only visible if viewing 4:3 material).

I posted my settings just for the he** of it.
I know our settings will all be different but I was most surprised with the color and tint settings that the calibration disc resulted in. I probably would never have set them that way if it wasn't for running the tests. Now the picture looks that much more life-like.

As for the overscan, there are some cases where it's obvious like when I turn on my high def player and the "loading" indicator is partially cut off. Other than that, not much.

I've decided to live with it. I don't want to venture into the Service Menu only because I am worried that might make things worse. Thanks for you tip by the way. I am glad I didn't.

So far so good. It is working without any issues. I got one of the last ones to be manufactured by Pana (I think manufactured in Dec 05), have had it for about 1.5 years and I love it.
post #659 of 730 Old 08-24-2007, 12:03 PM

so is this a good tv to buy for xbox 360? theres a cheap one i could get and i want to
post #660 of 730 Old 08-24-2007, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by huked0nfonicks View Post

so is this a good tv to buy for xbox 360? theres a cheap one i could get and i want to

Yes - IF you can find one!
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page