The OFFICIAL Panasonic 26", 30", 34" WX15 HDTV Thread... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last
Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays > The OFFICIAL Panasonic 26", 30", 34" WX15 HDTV Thread...
RedOak's Avatar RedOak 07:30 AM 12-09-2005
I'm still on hold myself, racking up cash to get the 34wx15. My friend recently bought it and its amazing. I wouldn't go for anything smaller for my living room set.

ilovelucy's Avatar ilovelucy 08:08 AM 12-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by pulse333 View Post

I should have time to type up the codes for the 26wx15 sometime this weekend. I have them all written down already. If there are just a few you need I could post it late tonight.

I would try your settings. 1080i signal seems to be cutting off at the top.
green99's Avatar green99 08:12 AM 12-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsvr View Post

the 26" one is around 85lbs.

Anyone with the 30" one can tell me the weight? I'm picking it up tomorrow.

It's got to be 130-140lbs. I'm a big guy and I could just barely get the thing off the ground myself, but couldn't lift it to the TV stand. Luckily my neighbor was home to help as I wanted to get it completely set up before the wife got home.

Also wouldn't fit in my '06 Sonata, although we didn't even try it. The CC guy said he had before and it was a PIA. I went home and got my '88 pickup truck and got it home that way. An SUV would most likely work fine, but I really wouldn't try anything smaller unless you don't have a choice.

My old Samsung HD 27" 4:3 weighs 100 lbs. and I carried that up two flights of stairs myself after setting up the new Panny in the living room. Wasn't fun though :-(
green99's Avatar green99 08:19 AM 12-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by zoiks View Post

If you're using a cable company's HD box, you can get a good coax splitter and split the line in 2. Run 1 coax line to the HD box, and from the box through HDMI to your TV. Run the other coax line straight to your TV. Watch HD from the cable box and SD from the line without the box. My cable company's HD box makes analog SD channels look absolutely horrible on a HDTV; so I used a coax line splitter, and SD looks much better now.

If all of your SD channels are digital, I don't know what to do to help; but you shouldn't be having a problem with SD if the channels are digital.

Thanks, that was a big help. I had already had it hooked up that way, but didn't even think to try the SD channels through the tuner.

FWIW, I have the SA 8300HD DVR from Cablevision. With the HDMI active, the component out goes dead. Someone said the composite/S-video still works and I have yet to try that. Hopefully that looks OK too as I really would like to watch ALL of my channels.

Still have to say it again, the HD just looks awesome on this TV. Unlike others here, I have no ghosting/artifacts or anything. I was going to play with the service menu, but I really have no need. The ONLY problem I have is a little blurring on the DVR on-screen text, and this is more the cable box (probably) than anything else.
Toggleswitch's Avatar Toggleswitch 09:00 AM 12-09-2005
ilovelucy, your getting overscan at 1080i? The tv native res. and its chopping off part of the picture?
bocmir's Avatar bocmir 09:16 AM 12-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by Toggleswitch View Post

ilovelucy, your getting overscan at 1080i? The tv native res. and its chopping off part of the picture?

All CRTs have significant overscan out of the box, regardless of the resolution being used. Some have it worse than others, considering that they're all individually configured. This isn't difficult to adjust via the service menu, though.
Toggleswitch's Avatar Toggleswitch 09:39 AM 12-09-2005
so the overscan can be fixed either by us through the service menu or has everyone had good luck with panny covering the call for a tech to do it? Last thing I want is part of my 360 experience chopped off lol.
ilovelucy's Avatar ilovelucy 11:36 AM 12-09-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bocmir View Post

All CRTs have significant overscan out of the box, regardless of the resolution being used. Some have it worse than others, considering that they're all individually configured. This isn't difficult to adjust via the service menu, though.

Exactly but I wouldn't know how to correct this perfectly. That's why I'm waiting on someone else's guide on fixing it. I'm sure I could mess around with it this weekend and get it up and running but then I don't want to risk doing something that can't be undone.
mortallis's Avatar mortallis 01:22 PM 12-09-2005
anyone have a fix for the shadow effects for the 30" wx15 HDTV all the 30" panasonics are sold out in my area and i already turned one in. will a panasonc tech be able to fix this issue ? the TV is great excpet this one issue
mgsvr's Avatar mgsvr 03:44 PM 12-09-2005
Hi guys, I already returned my 26" one and got the 30" one home already. Plug in the PS2 (with Monster Cable S-video) and try playing a fastest game in my games collection. Well so far everything is working great just like the one 26" I used to have.

Anyway, I heard that there is ghost or shadow effect like some of the users here posted. Uh oh, now I'm scare =( . Does the ghosting / shadow effect only happen with Component cable + Xbox 360 or something?? So far I play my fast game using S-video and don't see nothing yet. Some people here even said there is this fuzzy blurry outside the edge when playing the Xbox 360.

Now I'm scare, how can I check to see if my set is good?? I don't think the PS2 (s-video cable) + fast game can be the judge if my set is good or not.
bshef's Avatar bshef 03:57 PM 12-09-2005
I want to buy my wife a new Bedroom TV.....

I stumbled upon this 26" Pany and CC wants $569 for it.......
I'm shocked that the 30" is only $30 more at $599
however the 30" depth is too large for the TV cabinet in our room....

sigh!
davus's Avatar davus 04:00 PM 12-09-2005
Quote:

Hi guys, I already returned my 26" one and got the 30" one home already. Plug in the PS2 (with Monster Cable S-video) and try playing a fastest game in my games collection. Well so far everything is working great just like the one 26" I used to have.

Anyway, I heard that there is ghost or shadow effect like some of the users here posted. Uh oh, now I'm scare =( . Does the ghosting / shadow effect only happen with Component cable + Xbox 360 or something?? So far I play my fast game using S-video and don't see nothing yet. Some people here even said there is this fuzzy blurry outside the edge when playing the Xbox 360.

Now I'm scare, how can I check to see if my set is good?? I don't think the PS2 (s-video cable) + fast game can be the judge if my set is good or not.

Nope, it was independant of input. Seemed worse on SD signals though. On HD it was harder to see...
mgsvr's Avatar mgsvr 04:05 PM 12-09-2005
Note that I only use this TV for playing games. Right now I only have a PS2 with monster cable S-video. So I don't know if PS2/S-video can really show the ghost/shadow like the one some of our users here had encountered.
davus's Avatar davus 04:19 PM 12-09-2005
Quote:

Note that I only use this TV for playing games. Right now I only have a PS2 with monster cable S-video. So I don't know if PS2/S-video can really show the ghost/shadow like the one some of our users here had encountered.

Oh, you would definitely notice it if you had the same problem I have. Look for any distinct edges against a contrasting background, text seems to exhibit the problem a lot.

You will see a subtle, yet noticeable ghost image slightly off from the main object.

I would look for it in a menu and place in the game where you are standing still...motion will blur it and you probably wouldn't be able to distinguish it from the surroundings.
mgsvr's Avatar mgsvr 04:32 PM 12-09-2005
Hmmmm thanks man. I'll definitely check it out with some game. I'll probably try a RPG game with lots of text to see if mine have that problem or not.

Well but that problem easily to notice if you sit like 5-7 feets away? I heard someone play their Xbox 360 and there is this fuzzy bluriness outside the edge. However some people have it and some doesn't. It's all depend. How come you don't exhange for another set?

Even if my set have that problem like yours, I'll have to keep mine since it's the last one in stock at my CC. Hopefully someone figure out the Service Menu and help you.

I'll play my game and give back the update tonight.

ps: For the sound setting, do you guys turn on Surround Sound and AI? I have to use the TV's sound for now and turned Surround Sound on...wow it's faked but work really well. What is AI sound for?
mattford11's Avatar mattford11 06:07 PM 12-09-2005
I'll be posting my 30wx15N SVM settings tonight.

I went to 2 Circuit City stores last night and pulled the defaults off theirs while in 1080i. From what I can tell, the menu settings vary between resolution settings. So, with that said, my settings should only be considered for those running in 1080i. I have found that the text and general color look a lot better. I think the changes i made in Sub Brightness helped the most.

I'll be back to post later.

Peace.

Matt
raptorjb007's Avatar raptorjb007 08:21 PM 12-09-2005
Hello, I've had the CT-30wx15 for about a month now. Here are my observations on this model, as well as my answer to some of the statements made in this post.

This is a very good TV by any standards for its size and price. Its much better than any fixed pixel display, and in my experiance can really only be compared to the sony 955 series.

Now, the basic OSD options are pretty decent, you have the basic picture controls which I wont bother explaining. The more advanced features include Color Temp which is common to sets these days, Natural Color which for the life of me make little to no difference I just leave it on in good faith that it does. Video NR which claims to reduce noise which I can notice its subtle effect. VM(Velocity Modulation) which gets rid of the fuzz around edges and is quite effective, this feature is a must. MPEG NR claims to reduce noise like Video NR does exept this time it refers to digital compression noise(blockiness), I could barely notice the effect of VideoNR and the MPEGNR effect is even less drastic due to the sparseness of that compression effect when compared to analog noise, I leave it on in good faith. The Color matrix option can be set to SD/HD, basically HD is brighter than SD, this feature can only be used in 480p mode. Finally the 3D Y/C Filter is only availble through a coax or regual RCA connection, makes the picture slightly clearer and better looking, but like most of these options exept VM the effect is minor. All in all, when all these features are enabled, the image looks noticably, the effect is cumilative.

Next is the sound, which this set provides decent built in speakers for its size. The OSD controls provide the basics, treb, bass, balance. However we do have a few more advanced sound options. AI SOUND, basically this normalizes the entire sound spectum so that nothing is to loud or soft, however I feel this deadens the sound and reins immersion, sounds to flat, meaning subtle sounds are loud and loud sounds get lower. BBE is a feture I recommend leaving on, not sure what it does exactly but it does enhance the sound you get from the sets speakers. Surround is a feature that you have to decide for yourself wheather you like it or not, it is supposed to give your sound better spatial seperation(ie the name surround), but some do not like this sound enhancement. You can also control where the sound is routed, inset speakers or audio out.

The other relevant OSD options are Image shift, which will slightly move the screen around to prevent burn-in, in my opinion unneccesary feature on a crt but I leave it on anyway and have yet to notice this shifting so it cant hurt. Tilt control which is a very welcome adjustment. Lastly we have Geomagnetic adjustment which is meant to adjust for your personal magnetic feild in your room. All I notice is it takes away any discoloration you may have in the corners of your set. You can also adjust the aspect ratio on 480i inputs, 4:3 to prevent stretching of regualr TV signals(but has those black barson side), FULL, which stretches the 4:3 image to fill the screen(short fat faces), ZOOM which is a useless mode as far as I am concerned, this mode is like the oposite of 4:3 mode in that instead of zooming out until the Top and bottom of the image line up with the tv it instead zooms in until the horizontal sides of the image match the TV, basically cutting out the top and bottom of the image, not distortion in this mode however. Finally we have the most welcome setting for this type of TV...the almighty JUST mode(panoramic in other brands), this mode keep the center of the screen distortion free while stretching the sides to fill the rest of the screen, this mode works quite well and is the prefered mode for non-widescreen sources.

Next we discuss the shell, the look, the outside of the tube, in otherwords, how good does the TV itself look. The 30" tv is grey on the sides and bottom with a black area around the screen itself(this actually help the image look better). This sucker looks nice and flat from the front, however I do not like the concaveness of the frontal profile albiet small, it takes away from the flatness of the screen, basically counter productive but not that important. This thing is heavy at 125 pounds, and has a decent sized ass. However its size is manageable and if your used to CRT's you might even think its quite shallow in the back. The 26" version is just ugly, but its smaller, and the 34" is just bigger.

Out of the box the picture is good, most normal people would be satisfied. However I am never satisfied, and I wanted to see the entire image, no evil overscan. So what did I do, I went into Service Mode of coarse. Here you can find your basic CRT adjustments just like a PC monitor. However the most important ones are the easy ones to see the effect. Mainly I needed to adjust Horizontal and Vertical position and size. So what I did was reduce the width and height until i could see black bars on both the top and bottom. The first thing that becomes apparent when you do this is any geometry issues you might have due to the black background againt your bright image. These to are adjustabe in the SM, however you can only do so much, basically you get the geometry as good as you can via the various adjustments and coverup the rest when you readjust the height and width to fill the screen. So I cenetered the screen then resized it, I noticed I gained about a half inch of picture on all sides, guessing from the looks of the alignment of the screen layouts, most broadcasters dont expect you to see this extra image space and that makes me feel naughty in a good way. Just realize that you have to adjust you TV like this for each input rez and to some extent each aspect mode. I adjusted it for the 3 modes I use most. 480i Just, 480p, and 1080i.

This TV has everything you need for this size HDTV at a price that cannot be matched. Not even the infamous sony 955 must bow down to this models price:benifit ratio. The set does not accept 760p inputs, but no CRT's display this nativly anyway and most deviced can and will do the convertion to 1080i for you, for this reason I do not factor that into my final opinion. As for the rumor I hear some people complain about ghosting, the only artifact that comes close to that discription is what I see when watching SD signals. I see some digital compression artifacts around edges/objects in plain backgrounds. Similar to what you see when watching AVi's or mpegs on your computer but the effect is only noticable if your looking for it. I am not sure weather this is caused by the TV upconverting and stretching the signal or my provider compressing the image somewhere(which is becomeing quite common as they recieve their signal via satilite).

Now I will rate this TV for each catagory.
Picture: 9
sound: 7
Options: 6.5
Asthetics: 7
Cost/Benifit: 9
Overall: 8.5 (not an average)
mgsvr's Avatar mgsvr 08:48 PM 12-09-2005
Raptor, very nice review!! You give us a good info, now can you please share with us your normal setting after you do the Calibration?? I'm pretty sure you have calibrated your set already.

Quote:

Lastly we have Geomagnetic adjustment which is meant to adjust for your personal magnetic feild in your room. All I notice is it takes away any discoloration you may have in the corners of your set

I got a question. Well my TV is set in my room, and I'm planing to buy a Logitech Z-5500 speakers. That thing have a huge Subwoofer with very strong magnet. Anyway my TV is placed near my door, and in order to bring the Subwoofer into my room it's going to be near the TV for a bit.

For a little bit, the Subwoofer can cause magnetic problem to my TV because it going to be near the TV set for a while. Now say if my TV got disorter magnetic problem because of the Logitech Subwoofer. Can I use the Geomagnetic Adjustment to fix any disorter/magnetic problem in the TV? Or will the Subwoofer going to permanted kill my TV?
raptorjb007's Avatar raptorjb007 09:01 PM 12-09-2005
mgsvr,

The Geomagnetic setting is meant for only minor changes in the magnetic field. Placing an strong magnetic source to close to your tv can distort the image greatly, more than the geomagnetic setting can compensate for. However, the TV does automatically deguasse each tiem your turn it on, so chances of permanantly messing up your picture is slim. My advise to you is to just place you sub far enough away from the tube to not effect the picture.

p.s. If you do mess it up beyond recovery, there are tools that a TV repairman can use to correct this. Magnets attached to a drill anyone?
Panagiotis's Avatar Panagiotis 09:19 PM 12-09-2005
I had a friend of mine over today so that he could take a look at the issue that im having regarding the ghosting thing because Im really starting to go crazy about it. Needless to say the problem is there even though its not immediately visible in every situation but it is there. He works with cameras for a living and has seen lots of various kinds of issues regarding televisions and monitors. He noticed the problem right away, but told me that he really doesnt know what it is and has not come across it before. The funny thing about it is that it is pretty much always there, but it is only noticable more in different situations. For example, in xbox, i have yet to see the problem occur with Forza motorsport, however the targeting reticle in Far Cry is basically a double of itslef in any part of the game with a dark scene in it. Also today I played Tiger Woods 2003 for the first time in a couple of years, and nearly could not play the game because there was nearly a double of my golfer against the green background of the course. It's just weird to me that its noticable more in certain games than in others, where it is basically not even noticable at all. Now my CC does not have any more of these TV's in stock anymore and I really dont want to return this tv for something else because for the money there is nothing that is available to get. I previously had a Sony VVega 27 inch TV and with my system setup, I would sometimes get diagonal lines scrolling very very faintly from the left to the right during watching direct tv. Now Im starting to wonder that maybe there is another issue (something with the electrical outlet or power) that is causing interference. My question is... Is it possible that I am getting that effect from some sort of electrical or equipment interference? Im starting to nuts over this seemingly small problem because im starting to see it more and more and I really just dont know what to do.
Toggleswitch's Avatar Toggleswitch 10:35 PM 12-09-2005
exorcisms for everyone!! .....sorry couldn't help it. Somebody thump me =)
ilovelucy's Avatar ilovelucy 11:52 PM 12-09-2005
LOL

I noticed ghosting tonight in the FIFA 06 demo but not in other games. Now we know why CC sold this batch of tvs for cheap
mgsvr's Avatar mgsvr 07:14 AM 12-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cireaasirefan View Post

Anybody know how to fix the geometry in the Panasonic CT-26WX15? While viewing, I noticed a slight curve at the upper portion of the screen. The line is not straight. Is there a service menu?

Yea my 30" one got a slight curve at the upper portion of the screen as well. Which setting in the Service Menu do I need to adjust to fix it? Thanks
HGuardian's Avatar HGuardian 07:20 AM 12-10-2005
I have the 26" Panasonic I bought from CC for $399 as well. I have been satisfied with it so far except I have noticed a slight curve on the bottam right as well. I only see it when watching directv in 4:3.

This is my first post here, but I have been reading many different topics, I am thinking of getting the OPPO Upscaling DVD player to go with the tv. Opinions?
mgsvr's Avatar mgsvr 07:24 AM 12-10-2005
welcome to the board. I'm playing a PS2 game that is designed for 4:3. However I set my PS2 to display 16:9, and set my HDTV to Full. And that is where I got my slight curve in the upper screen.

It doesn't happen to my previous 26" Panny though..
Sword's Avatar Sword 08:05 AM 12-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by HGuardian View Post

I have the 26" Panasonic I bought from CC for $399 as well. I have been satisfied with it so far except I have noticed a slight curve on the bottam right as well. I only see it when watching directv in 4:3.

This is my first post here, but I have been reading many different topics, I am thinking of getting the OPPO Upscaling DVD player to go with the tv. Opinions?

I just ordered the Oppo for my 30WX15. Once I get it hooked up I'll chime in with some info. Does anyone else have one connected to the Panasonic?
bshef's Avatar bshef 10:04 AM 12-10-2005
I can't believe most peeps got their 26" for $399........

CC now wants $569
Anyone aware of a better price available?

k.....I just found the set at Walmart for $548.....
Panagiotis's Avatar Panagiotis 10:17 AM 12-10-2005
So we have discovered that apparently on some of these TV's there is an issue. Still, does anyone know of any way to fix this? Anything in the service menu? Any advice at all?
Haroof's Avatar Haroof 12:36 PM 12-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by bshef View Post

I can't believe most peeps got their 26" for $399........

CC now wants $569
Anyone aware of a better price available?

k.....I just found the set at Walmart for $548.....

Yeah, you really had to have taken advantage of that sale they had.

I got mine for the 399 price. Beyond happy with my purchase too.

I have some blurry text on the very sides of my screen when playing my 360, other than that, the set is awesome.
squonk's Avatar squonk 01:17 PM 12-10-2005
Quote:
Originally Posted by cireaasirefan View Post

I don't know if this has already been created, but this is a thread I created where we can discuss about Panasonic's current CRT HDTV models: CT-26WX15, CT-30WC15, CT-30WX15, and CT-34WX15. Own one of these Panasonic models and want to comment about it, post it here. Are you thinking of buying a Panasonic, post it here. We should reduce the number of new threads created regarding Panasonic. Enjoy...

Ok walt.
First ... 2  3  4 5  6  ... Last

Up
Mobile  Desktop