The OFFICIAL Panasonic 26", 30", 34" WX15 HDTV Thread... - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 730 Old 12-04-2005, 01:36 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I don't know if this has already been created, but this is a thread I created where we can discuss about Panasonic's current CRT HDTV models: CT-26WX15, CT-30WC15, CT-30WX15, and CT-34WX15. Own one of these Panasonic models and want to comment about it, post it here. Are you thinking of buying a Panasonic, post it here. We should reduce the number of new threads created regarding Panasonic. Enjoy...
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 730 Old 12-04-2005, 01:46 PM

I bought the 26" yesterday at CC for 399. It is a very heavy TV at 85 pounds. I dont have any HD singles going in to it yet and proably want watch HD chanels for a long time now. I bought it for DVDs which look great and the 360 when I get one. The price is now 569 at CC but it will most likely be on sale soon. I would recommend this TV to people over a LCD if the weight is not a problem. One con ins no built in tuner which does not affect me but others might want to take that into concederation.
post #3 of 730 Old 12-04-2005, 03:11 PM

I would like to know too on how to fix the geometry without calling a Technician to come over. Is there really a RING in the back of the TV to adjust the Geometry? If not, then how do we go to Service Menu to fix it?
post #4 of 730 Old 12-04-2005, 04:02 PM - Thread Starter

I found a way to enter the service menu in my Panasonic CT-26WX15. This also works for other Panasonic TV models (including CT-30WC15, CT-30WX15, and CT-34WX15). Here's how you do it:

Power on your TV
Go to menu and set antenna to CABLE
Then, go to sleep timer in the menu and set it to 30
Exit menu and go to channel 124
Then, adjust volume to 0 on the remote
Then, at the front of the TV, press the volume down and the word "CHK" in red appears
Finally, press the power button on the remote
You will then see a big service menu at the middle of the screen

To adjust, use the volume buttons to adjust the values. To change each category, use the channel buttons.

To exit the service menu, press the power button on the remote, and it will return to "CHK" in red at the upper left hand corner. Then, press the power button at the front of the TV to turn off the TV. If you want to see a summary or self-check, press the power button and action button at the same time for two seconds instead.

Don't forget to copy down all of the original values on a separate piece of paper before you adjust the values. I'm still browsing it, but I don't have the time to adjust the screen right now. It looks kind of complicated to me.

Let me know which setting can let me adjust the top horizontal line.
post #5 of 730 Old 12-04-2005, 04:10 PM

Wow, so is the Service Menu complited? Does it only have value, or does it have the ICON or any word that said GEOMETRY in it? If set it wrong, it will damage the TV forever right? If damage, can we just go back to the Factory value on the SM?
post #6 of 730 Old 12-04-2005, 05:17 PM

Have you went into the Service Menu yet? I'll write down all the original Value before I'll mess anything. I only want to adjust the Geometry a little bit since mine is not as straight like the one in store. How do you know where to set the Geometry, does the SM have any ICON or something to let us know where to set the Geo?
post #7 of 730 Old 12-04-2005, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cireaasirefan View Post

What about the people who own a Panasonic 30" and 34". Is the geometry any better?

I love my 30WX15.

Question for all you 30", 26", etc WX owners. How would you feel about making an FAQ for our sets. I would be willing to type it up and host it, but I would need someone w/ a factory or as close to it as possble set to get the default factory Svc. menu values. Any takers? I think it could do us all a lot of good.

Let me know.

Matt
post #8 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 02:06 AM

Right now I have the Sony KV-30HS420, which is great and everything but it's got some problems. I'm wondering if the CT30WX15 suffers from any ghosting, ringing or geometry problems? Do you lose any of the picture in 16:9 mode? Right now with my current KV-30HS420 I'm losing around 1 CM on all 4 sides. Any problems like that? Any color, text problems or something? I'm mostly using it for my Xbox 360 and DVD viewing. I also have a thread on this. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.
post #9 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 08:27 AM

Can someone confirm that this is the correct factory setting? When I first got the HDTV I was playing around the options, so I'm not sure if I changed anything yet or leave it as Factory setting:

Color temp : normal
Natural color: On
Video NR: Off
3D y/C Filter: ON
Color Matrix: SD
VM: On
MPEG NR: OFF
post #10 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by XenoSphere View Post

Right now I have the Sony KV-30HS420, which is great and everything but it's got some problems. I'm wondering if the CT30WX15 suffers from any ghosting, ringing or geometry problems? Do you lose any of the picture in 16:9 mode? Right now with my current KV-30HS420 I'm losing around 1 CM on all 4 sides. Any problems like that? Any color, text problems or something? I'm mostly using it for my Xbox 360 and DVD viewing. I also have a thread on this. Any and all help will be greatly appreciated. Thanks.

Yup, that much overscan is typical for CRT HD sets I've been told.
post #11 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 08:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mgsvr View Post

Can someone confirm that this is the correct factory setting? When I first got the HDTV I was playing around the options, so I'm not sure if I changed anything yet or leave it as Factory setting:

Color temp : normal
Natural color: On
Video NR: Off
3D y/C Filter: ON
Color Matrix: SD
VM: On
MPEG NR: OFF

I do recall that being the default when I got the tv.
post #12 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 08:44 AM

K, thanks. Do you know how to make the Panasonic HDTV to stretch picture? I set my PS2 to 16:9 mode, but it seem like there is this two black vertical bars added in my TV. I'm afraid it might burn in my TV one day, so it's better safe to make my HDTV stretch the picture so there won't be two black bar anymore.

I don't have an intruction booklet, if anybody know how to do it please post it here.
post #13 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 09:04 AM

Quote:

K, thanks. Do you know how to make the Panasonic HDTV to stretch picture? I set my PS2 to 16:9 mode, but it seem like there is this two black vertical bars added in my TV. I'm afraid it might burn in my TV one day, so it's better safe to make my HDTV stretch the picture so there won't be two black bar anymore.

I don't have an intruction booklet, if anybody know how to do it please post it here.

There is a button on the remote near the bottom that lets you change the view settings from 4:3 to Full or Zoom. I forgot which one cause im not at home right now to see it. But just test out the buttons until you see the picture switch from 4:3 to full, zoom.
post #14 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 09:13 AM

Is the button called R-Tune or Prog? Because if these are the two, then it doesn't do anything at all. When I check the 3 button on the bottom of the remote, there is the:

Aspect TV/VCR.

I don't if it's the right one. Hopefully I can do Zoom in to get rid of that two black bar and prevent burn in.
post #15 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 10:12 AM

Quote:

Is the button called R-Tune or Prog? Because if these are the two, then it doesn't do anything at all. When I check the 3 button on the bottom of the remote, there is the:

Aspect TV/VCR.

I don't if it's the right one. Hopefully I can do Zoom in to get rid of that two black bar and prevent burn in.

Yes thats the one. Aspect tv/vcr. That button changes the screen sizes.
post #16 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 11:00 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Got a 30WX15 for $599 yesterday and couldn't be happier. I don't see any geometry problems on my set, and I calibrated using DVE last night.
post #17 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 11:13 AM

between Avia and DVE, which one is a better one? I have Avia, but it seem kinda complicated... maybe I'm just not too smart...

Darry: so if I choose Zoom or Stretch, then there will no longer be two black vertical bar anymore. I don't have to worry about Burn In anymore right?
post #18 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 11:26 AM

Quote:

between Avia and DVE, which one is a better one? I have Avia, but it seem kinda complicated... maybe I'm just not too smart...

Darry: so if I choose Zoom or Stretch, then there will no longer be two black vertical bar anymore. I don't have to worry about Burn In anymore right?

Yes they will no longer be vertical bars but on some widescreen programs you will still have two horizontal bars that the zoom will not fully get out. As long as you keep the contrast, and brightness down and dont leave your tv on static images for long times you shouldn't have any problems with burn in.
post #19 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 12:23 PM

Quote:

What about the people who own a Panasonic 30" and 34". Is the geometry any better?

I just bought the set last night on sale at CC, and the geometry is pretty horrible on this one. I noiced the espn sports ticker is going into the left corner. I had to rotate the screen by +8 or +9, and also change the service menu quite a bit to get it look decent, but it's still not perfect. I am using Avia's disk with the cross patterns. It has a May 05 manufacturing date. Is anyone else having problems like this? Shouldn't the TV be a little more perfect out of box, or at least somewhat close? I think having to rotate +9 and also do other adjustments is quite a lot.

Anyhow, I am going to have to duct tape the box and get an exchange on "defective" from circuit city.
post #20 of 730 Old 12-05-2005, 04:08 PM

Jerome or anyone,

Would you want to tell me the default service menu values? If we had them documented, it would make them so much easier for everyone else to reference.

Matt
post #21 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 08:26 AM

Quote:

My Panasonic CT-26WX15 was made at the latest month: November 2005. I only had to tilt the screen at +1. I just got the vertical line straight last night from the service menu, but I can't find any settings that will let me adjust the horizontal line.

I too have the same HDTV and would like to know what values u changed to get your vertical lines straight. I am seeing the same thing where picture is being overscaned. Please help me out. I would also like to get my horizontal line straight also to stop the overscanning.

Thanks
post #22 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 12:44 PM

Question: are any of these good for using with a computer?

Heck, are any CRT HDTV monitors good with using with a computer?

Gaming or just for web browsing?
post #23 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 12:48 PM

Hi guys, I might be considering the CT-34WX15 and I have to ask since their site does not mention it: does this TV accept a 720p input? Store told me yes but I have read some posts stating otherwise. which is it?

Do any purchasers of this unit have any complaints/ regrets? if you could go back, would you take the same unit?

Rolando
post #24 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 01:15 PM

Quote:

I have one, anybody know what does MPEG NR do? It's in the picture setting. I found no effect when turning it on.

The instruction manual says:

MPEG NR - This feature reduces the block noise caused by the MPEG video compression used in DVD and HDTV sources.

you can find the manual online here:
http://service.us.panasonic.com/OPER.../CT30WX15N.pdf

hope that helps
post #25 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rolando A View Post

Hi guys, I might be considering the CT-34WX15 and I have to ask since their site does not mention it: does this TV accept a 720p input? Store told me yes but I have read some posts stating otherwise. which is it?

Do any purchasers of this unit have any complaints/ regrets? if you could go back, would you take the same unit?

I don't believe that hardly any CRT accepts 720p natively and this model doesn't have a built in tuner to upconvert to its native 1080i. If you have/want satellite/cable then you'll be using their receiver and in the event that you want to HD, you'll be able to view the 720p signal because your receiver will upconvert any 720p signal into the 1080i native. You might be find some difficulties if you want an over the air broadcast.
post #26 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 02:16 PM

I will post my default codes and my new codes sometime tonight when I get home. I must say though that I changed my values a TON, and I don't think this is natural for the TV.

If i could, I would like to exchange my TV for the same model (30wx15). Besides the horrible geometry, the TV looks amazing, especially with my HD DVR from time warner.

One problem I have even after making the geometry better. When I watch 4:3 stuff through s-video, or when my cable box sends 480i or 480p, my verticle crop lines look decently verticle, but when it sends 1080i with a 4:3 windowed show, the crop lines are tilted. Could this be a problem with the cable box, or is it just the tv? Has anyone gotten the 30wx15 and had perfect geometry with all inputs?
post #27 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 02:46 PM

OK, likely stupid question, but I am going to pick this TV up in the next few days, and was wondering if all I need to pick up OTA digital signals is a UHF antenna (and a UHF/VHF combiner to be able to use my existing cable), or if I need to get a set-top box. Thanks to anyone who can help.
post #28 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 03:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by UdderlySexyCows View Post

OK, likely stupid question, but I am going to pick this TV up in the next few days, and was wondering if all I need to pick up OTA digital signals is a UHF antenna (and a UHF/VHF combiner to be able to use my existing cable), or if I need to get a set-top box. Thanks to anyone who can help.

if you want HD channels...you'll need an HD tuner/atennae
post #29 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 04:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeromekim View Post

I will post my default codes and my new codes sometime tonight when I get home. I must say though that I changed my values a TON, and I don't think this is natural for the TV.

If i could, I would like to exchange my TV for the same model (30wx15). Besides the horrible geometry, the TV looks amazing, especially with my HD DVR from time warner.

One problem I have even after making the geometry better. When I watch 4:3 stuff through s-video, or when my cable box sends 480i or 480p, my verticle crop lines look decently verticle, but when it sends 1080i with a 4:3 windowed show, the crop lines are tilted. Could this be a problem with the cable box, or is it just the tv? Has anyone gotten the 30wx15 and had perfect geometry with all inputs?

Great! I would love to know the default codes
post #30 of 730 Old 12-06-2005, 04:46 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Anyone want to share their settings?

I have a CT-30WX15 and I have the following:

picture - 27
brightness - 45
color - 27
tint - 34