Forum Jump: 

post #691 of 714 Old 08-17-2007, 08:50 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by plughplover View Post

It isn't a general PBS problem, rather a particular pbs broadcaster here (Cincinnati) switches from six SD streams to 2 SD and one HD between 8-12PM, and during this period my set refuses to decode _anything_ on that qam feed. It is a reliable fault, which is why I've been focusing on it.

re: your original post - I have not been able to correlate my 'random drops' with commercial cuts. But perhaps this gives us another clue...

My random drops almost exclusively happen on ABC, which I haven't been watching over the summer (we only watch Grey's Anatomy and Lost on ABC). I did notice that the drops occasionally would occur during the commercial break. When that happened, my amplifier would switch from a DD lock and drop back to Pro Logic. Typically this coincided with a switch between an obviously HD commerical to a SD commerical, but not always. So, it almost certainly has to do with ABC switching between HD and SD sources.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #692 of 714 Old 08-17-2007, 11:58 AM

Your description makes me wonder if your case involves your local broadcaster interrupting the network feed to insert local advertising...
post #693 of 714 Old 08-17-2007, 01:10 PM

My setup:
Samsung HD-960 DVD player connected to my LG 30FS4D via HDMI cable purchased from Monoprice.

Problem #1:
no audio. it worked when I first connected everything last year, but now there's no sound. I've adjusted every setting correctly on my Sammy as well as the LG yet still no sound. I get perfect picture, but no sound.

I also had this problem when I had my PS3 last year. The PS3 would get a picture but it gave some error about HDMI, so I just returned my PS3.

Problem #2:
when connecting my new XBOX 360 premium to my LG via HDMI I don't get a signal at all. I know the HDMI out on my XBOX 360 premium is fine because I hooked it up to my 19" widescreen LCD via HDMI out of the XBOX 360 to DVI into my monitor.

I've read the manual to my LG, adjusted everything I could think within the regular menu of the LG. I haven't gone into the other setup menu of the LG which includes the calibration options.

Anyone have any suggestions?

thanks,
Paul

Paul
Oakland, CA
HT buff since 1992. = )
post #694 of 714 Old 08-26-2007, 07:14 PM

would anyone happen to have the default values for their TV from the service menu, or otherwise would know how to perform a factory reset on this set? I got my TV and i have some geometry issues caused by the previous owner fiddling with this menu. i understand they are different for each set but I need to try to get close as right now the picture is very distorted.

I tried to change the values but the source changes to DTV everytime I make a change to a setting so I can't adjust the picture easilty since I can't get an image through this input.

please help
post #695 of 714 Old 10-24-2007, 12:32 AM

Some of these settings posted on here seem to make the picture shall I say too light on black pictures or kind of milky looking, for me I tend to get the better picture when I set my contrast up somewhere like 60 and turn the brightness down to 45, I'm a big sci fi person and this seems to be the best settings to watch space movies keeping space actually black not gray like some of these other settings seem to make it and the stars stand out more with a higher contrast, just my personal opinion.
post #696 of 714 Old 10-24-2007, 09:49 AM

Another thing I noticed is that by turning the XD feature off it seems to make the text clearer on the sides, I looked at ESPN during the day when they run the text on the sides telling you what's coming up next and XD off seemed to sharpen up the text.
post #697 of 714 Old 10-24-2007, 12:42 PM

This is a question for owners of this TV set and are using an xbox 360 connected to it using HDMI. Did you guys find any improvement during gaming (in the visuals) compared to component?

I have done some research and most "experts" seem to agree that whether or not hmi vs component makes any difference depends mostly on the hdtv you have. Cheap crappy HDTVs have a harder time with the digital-analog-digital conversion they have to do when using component cables, so they tend to display a much better image when using HDMI since the signal stays digital. Nice (more expensive) tvs don't seen to have any differences between hdmi and component.

So where does our TV stand?
post #698 of 714 Old 01-31-2008, 01:58 AM

My LG 30fs4d geometry has been messed up somewhere along the line.

Before I spend $370 for a tech to look at it, would anyone happen to have a minute to go to their service menu and post the values of the first menu? The first menu lists all geometry settings.

The values for the 16:9 pincushion menu would also be greatly appreciated.

To get to the service menu just press menu on the tv and remote for 10 seconds or so.

I know every tv's service menu will have different values, but i'd like to know if mine is anywhere near where it should be.

Thanks in advance to anyone who might have a minute to do this. I really don't want to pay for service when I only spent $475 on the tv to begin with.

Best,

Jeff
post #699 of 714 Old 02-11-2008, 06:04 AM

I've had my LG for a while, but just finally subscribed to HD service. Now I've noticed that while watching HD widescreen programming the edges of the program are cut off. I realized this when I switched the tv display to 4:3 while watching a 16:9 broadcast. It seems like a half inch of picture is being cut off of the left and right edges when I view it in the correct 16:9 setting.

At first I thought this was due to my new service provider, but I've since realized it does this with widescreen dvds as well. Is this something I can adjust in the service menu?

txs
post #700 of 714 Old 02-12-2008, 05:24 AM

Yes you can adjust this from the service menu, make sure you write down on a piece of paper your original numbers before you change ANYTHING since they are all diferent in each TV so my numbers will not match yours. Good luck!

Quote:
Originally Posted by asc25 View Post

I've had my LG for a while, but just finally subscribed to HD service. Now I've noticed that while watching HD widescreen programming the edges of the program are cut off. I realized this when I switched the tv display to 4:3 while watching a 16:9 broadcast. It seems like a half inch of picture is being cut off of the left and right edges when I view it in the correct 16:9 setting.

At first I thought this was due to my new service provider, but I've since realized it does this with widescreen dvds as well. Is this something I can adjust in the service menu?

txs

post #701 of 714 Old 02-12-2008, 01:24 PM

txs - do you know what items I should try tweaking to pull the sides in?
post #702 of 714 Old 12-09-2008, 05:08 PM

Anyone have the default factory settings for the picture? Someone messed with mine and I can't seem to get it right.
post #703 of 714 Old 01-01-2009, 06:35 PM

I see this question asked allot here, about the service menu default values, so I'll put my FSD's original values. I've had it 2 1/2 years with some minor adjustments soon after buying it. Hope this can help some of you. As an FYI the most noticeable improvements in picture quality came from adjusting the standard image controls.

1) V Position 23
2) V Size 29
3) H Position 33
4) H Size 36
5) Up VLIN 5
6) Lo VLIN 4
7) Pin_Amp 31
8) Pin_phase 26
9) Up_CPin 37
10) lo_Cpin 36
11) AFC-Bow 28
12) AFC-Angle 32
post #704 of 714 Old 02-21-2009, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by corrnd View Post

My random drops almost exclusively happen on ABC, which I haven't been watching over the summer (we only watch Grey's Anatomy and Lost on ABC). I did notice that the drops occasionally would occur during the commercial break. When that happened, my amplifier would switch from a DD lock and drop back to Pro Logic. Typically this coincided with a switch between an obviously HD commerical to a SD commerical, but not always. So, it almost certainly has to do with ABC switching between HD and SD sources.

Thought I'd revive this...
I'm still having the issue, just not as much. I've only seen the issue using cable QAM. In my house, I also have a sharp 32sb23u that does not show the same issue. I installed my own cable jack for the LG. One of these days I'll switch the LG and the sharp to see if it's a signal issue.
post #705 of 714 Old 12-24-2009, 08:07 AM

If anyone still has a copy of the service manual for this set I would greatly appreciate a copy.
If it could be uploaded somewhere or emailed that would be great.

Regards
James
post #706 of 714 Old 09-19-2010, 05:56 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
I'm a little late to the party, but I just picked this TV up to use in a spare bedroom. The TV does have a few issues that have been previously discussed here. Has anyone been able to resolve the "jittery" composite video? I am trying to connect an NES console and an old VCR that have no other outputs, so I would really like to fix the jittering if at all possible. I'm also having the problem where certain QAM channels lose their lock occasionally and I have to do channel up and down to get them back. Was there ever a firmware update or anything else released to address that issue?
post #707 of 714 Old 12-15-2011, 09:40 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 15
For anybody still with these LGs, here is the service manual with all of the takeapart information, parts, etc. etc. etc. Remember, as always, if you use the service menu to alter hidden settings, write down all settings or take a photograph of the settings before making your adjustments.
post #708 of 714 Old 12-19-2011, 05:13 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Does anyone know what the screen dot pitch is? is it a "Trinitron" type dot pitch layout?

Thanks
Tom
post #709 of 714 Old 12-19-2011, 09:39 AM

I don't know of any tube televisions that used aperture grilles other than Sony's, not to say that there aren't any others but I have seen many more non-Sony computer monitors with grilles, and can't think of any offhand that I've seen which were televisions.

I'll take a closer look at mine when I get home. But I can tel you already from looking at your other thread, you may not be happy with this model. Its pitch is very visibly wider at the edges. This actually is not noticeable when viewing video, or gaming video. It just kinda fades away as you are concentrating on the motion. But with 2D stuff, cartoons etc. you can see it more easily.

You might be more interested in the 30FZ4D, specs, features, and even the weight are very similar to the slimfit, but it is not in fact a slim tube. It does not have the pitch variance at the horizontal edges that the slim model does.
post #710 of 714 Old 12-19-2011, 12:28 PM
Advanced Member

I was looking through a big thrift store with about 2 dozen SD TV's and they all were Sony type grilles.

However, I wish I still had my TX-N since I was certain it was triangular dot and I was quite shocked at this. The TX-P was definitely worse than the TX-N when viewing text from S-video. The TX-P was like a "blurry film" was on the tube. Very nasty.

What is really annoying is that along the edges, if you see pure red, the individual red lines really show up as separate, widely spaced lines. Very, Very Nasty.

There is nothing inherently wrong with the Sony method - I think it yields "continuous" phosphor in the vertical direction? (correct me if I'm wrong.) Watching credits scroll upward has no jitter, walk, ripple, etc. All silky smooth. Maybe what they were looking for.

If the pitch is small enough, there is never a problem.

My edge pitch was about .75 mm or roughly about a mm. Any chance you could try a quick measurement?

Also, this other set you mentioned, is it newer?

Thanks
Tom
post #711 of 714 Old 12-19-2011, 03:01 PM

The LG 30FZ4D that is in fact older than the LG 30FS4D, by almost a year. I can only presume that the FZ model was phased out in favour of the FS model, as this was the CRT's last stab at sticking around in the face of lower priced LCDs and the high end Plasmas (and at least at the time, DLP as well) looming large over them. Folks just wanted a smaller footprint. (And larger screen area.)

About Trinitrons, the phosphors are indeed striped, the goal of this is to give a finer image, not just vertically, either. Because the aperture grille is made of wires instead of a perforated sheet (a "shadow mask"), the horizontal gaps between each stripe of phosphors is more and more miniscule. Even back in the analogue era this allowed for a finer, more detailed image in general, and a brighter picture as well.

It's funny that you mention the red at the corner of your screen. When I read the reviews for the TXN model that I picked up this weekend, I read A LOT of tell of "great screen, just change the setting to fix the red push first." I think you are probably seeing that here, chances are the previous owner never corrected this. Most people never correct their colour at all, and many of those who try do so badly, even with newer screens. It's worth a try at least as you might get this issue to go away. Service menu settings may be worth looking over as well if it is out of convergence. Many aged tubes have this problem, especially if abused over time.

As always, write down or record every single service menu setting somehow before you change ANY setting at all.
post #712 of 714 Old 01-06-2012, 07:08 AM
Advanced Member

Hummm... Not sure what you mean about "red push."

I'm guessing that is excessive chroma?

I always tune my brightness/contrast to something that does a pretty good grayscale. While I do not have any test images, I am near compulsive at getting all the detail out of a program. In fact, B/C must be changed occasionally to deal with sources that are out of whack.

And I also easy on the chroma too.

Like I once read in an article about properly calibrated studio monitors (In the one standard test image, there is an indigo blue square that strobes and you have to turn the image down so that you can just see the strobe - other wise you are overdriving the phosphor) and how they are so dim and the room is so dark.

My typical settings are about 1/2 the overall brightness of the standard settings.

Now if the red is severely overdriven, it seems to "wash out" the black lines and looks more solid.

At any rate, I have just discovered the SlimFit TX-R uses a SHADOW MASK (!!!!!) and an advertised "much finer dot pitch" which I am really eager to try and look at one. Maybe the LG SuperSlims also use such a tube.

Thanks
Tom
post #713 of 714 Old 01-06-2012, 07:40 AM

Here's what I mean by red push. It's been a fairly common term for at least as long as I've been reading this forum, the nutshell is that the red is just overdone.

I have not opened up my LG slim tube yet, and I do not have a Samsung slimfit in my possession yet either (it's literally on the way), but I feel certain that the tube inside them is identical. The LG is definitely a shadow mask. I have every reason to believe that the tubes are from the same manufacturer. And you can definitely see a wider spread at the horizontal edges. I can see this on the NON-slim TXN model that I have, but I can see it even more on the slim model. I can say that it is easy to not focus on when viewing, but I would certainly say that if knowing the dot pitch of a CRT is important to you then I think you will have a hard time being happy with one of these slim models. I'm not sure why a shadow mask is such a thing to get excited about with a CRT, nearly every CRT made uses shadow masks, only Sony's and a handful of competitors' models (made after 1996) used Trinitron screens. The Trinitron screens were generally regarded as being more advanced, although not necessarily (only) for the dot pitch they offered, they were generally capable of a brighter image in addition to their other tech advantages.

Anyway, I do like my LG slim and I'll have a Samsung slim in my possession soon
post #714 of 714 Old 01-06-2012, 10:17 AM
Advanced Member

LiquidSnake,

Interesting you have a TXN.

When I had my TXN for a few days, I thought its picture was exceptional - especially with S-video (I had no HD sources at that time). I remember it being a shadow mask tube.

The TXP was "blurry" all over when compared to the TXN (This was very obvious when I would use the tv as a computer monitor.)

My TXP has an edge pitch of something like .75mm and center somewhere around .5mm (I have precise measurements in another thread on this subforum.

I can see the distinct vertical lines 5-6' away from the viewing surface. The distance for the TXN would be something like 1' as I recall since shadow masks do not produce vertical black lines.

Is there any chance you could make a rough measurement of the pitch on your TXN? (You just need the distance between any 2 like color pixels.) I like to use my digital camera macro then preview and zoom - and of course a mm or cm scale against the screen.

Regarding the red, it is sharper than green and especially blue. So to see the "biggest black vertical lines" you need either a pure R, G, or B hue. Since R is the sharpest, it is the most objectionable. B is blurry to the human eye so it is OK. (I always wondered why they compromised R [something like 100 lines or resolution] when they did the chroma in VCR's [I don't think that was a HTSC effect]. They should have sacrificed B and no one would have cared.)

Have you ever used the LG's OTA tuner? If yes, how would you rate it?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page