LG 30FS4D 30" slim CRT - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 
Thread Tools
Old 03-22-2006, 12:48 AM
Member
 
Tethyrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've been looking for a new 1080i mainly for games and dvds, but I have fairly limited space. I bought a high end LCD, but returned it because the colors were weak, blacks were bad and it did not show well in the dark or low light. I bought the LG three days ago, and I am very happy with it. It is not as perfect as the high end Sony CRT's, but it costs and weighs far less. The Samsung slimfits I saw consistently had more serious issues. I like the antiglare coating, the colors look very good, definition is excellent, and my 360 looks outstanding. For my needs, it is a perfect match.
Tethyrr is offline  
Sponsored Links
Advertisement
 
Old 03-22-2006, 01:39 AM
Member
 
Meltdown611186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey lemme ask yah something. When your playing 360 do you prefer to play with the XD setting on or off? I just cant seem to decide. Like turning XD on makes everything look a LOT nicer, but at the same time if your looking closely enough you can see I guess what I would best describe as "fuzziness" Like take a car or a persons face for example, you can almost see like a blurry dusting on it if you will or like make out the pixels. Not really sure how to describe it.
Meltdown611186 is offline  
Old 03-22-2006, 08:49 PM
Newbie
 
noah28's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 4
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
this is my first post. this forum is great.

i bought this tv last saturday, and ever since the first day i've seen some discoloration on the screen. the left side has a kind of a blueish hue, and the right has kind of a yellowish hue. you can see in the photo. i was wondering if anyone else has experienced this or if you think i should take this one back for another one.
LL
noah28 is offline  
Old 03-22-2006, 09:50 PM
qip
Member
 
qip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
uh-oh . it seems like more and more minor problems are starting to gather !!
qip is offline  
Old 03-22-2006, 10:22 PM
Member
 
segask's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Posts: 131
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
as far as the bluriness/reduced resolution/big fat phosphors on the sides, the samsung slimfit also has that. I'm guessing these slim crt TV's need big fat phosphors out toward the sides of the screen to maintain uniform brightness across the screen.
segask is offline  
Old 03-22-2006, 11:10 PM
Member
 
mattskr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
eh...I dunno about brightness but the wide angle that the CRT has to hit to reach the outer edges causes the focus problems. It's not just that the phosphors are bigger, on mine you can tell if you look real close that the ray meant for one phosphor hits the next one over as well, causing the focus issues.

I've been playing a lot of 360 lately, still wish it was uniformly as sharp and focused as the center, but I'm starting to get used to it.
mattskr is offline  
Old 03-23-2006, 12:35 AM
Member
 
Tethyrr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 30
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Meltdown611186 View Post

Hey lemme ask yah something. When your playing 360 do you prefer to play with the XD setting on or off? I just cant seem to decide. Like turning XD on makes everything look a LOT nicer, but at the same time if your looking closely enough you can see I guess what I would best describe as "fuzziness" Like take a car or a persons face for example, you can almost see like a blurry dusting on it if you will or like make out the pixels. Not really sure how to describe it.

I have adjusted all settings for Oblivion (which is an excellent game and looks great on this set), and I leave the XD setting off. I tend to leave it on for tv.
Tethyrr is offline  
Old 03-23-2006, 09:16 AM
Member
 
mattskr's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 59
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 12 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Tethyrr - or anyone else, can you post some pics of the tv playing 360 games
mattskr is offline  
Old 03-23-2006, 03:06 PM
Newbie
 
UK_HollyWood's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well guys, I picked up the TV from BB for the $850 price plus $50 for the antenna. I'm new to HDTV but here are my observations:

-Love the picture quality, especially the HD from antenna(I didn't think HD could be received through coax, could someone clarify this for me?)

-Navigating between the different TV, DTV, and CATV can be cumbersome at times.

-Features for video quality work VERY well, I was impressed.

-I saw a complaint about the sound, but with some tweaking it sounds really good and LOUD.

-It's very light(relatively speaking) and one man can carry it (I carried up one flight to a 2nd story apartment).

Thats all for now, if anyone has any questions I'll be more than happy to answer to the best of my ability.

A few questions:

-How is the HD signal able to be received via coax from the antenna?

-Does the tuner in this TV remove the need for the digital cable box from the cable company(mine is Insight Digital)?
UK_HollyWood is offline  
Old 03-23-2006, 04:14 PM
AVS Special Member
 
biker19's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Location: McLean, VA
Posts: 3,696
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by UK_HollyWood View Post


-Does the tuner in this TV remove the need for the digital cable box from the cable company(mine is Insight Digital)?

Probably not - see how many unencrypted channels you can get when connecting the cable coax straight to the TV. The only way to get rid of the cable box is with cablecard - and even then you lose some functionality - like VOD.
biker19 is offline  
Old 03-23-2006, 04:39 PM
Member
 
rossl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I looked at the 30FS4D today at BestBuy. They had it right next to the Sammy Slimfit. After giving it a long look with a Satellite feed of Discovery HD playing on both, I think the LG picture is soft. I like the non-glare screen much better than the shiny tube Samsung, but the Sammy had a sharper picture and was more in focus.

I wanted one of these for my den, which is my secondary TV room. But after looking I decided to not buy either LG or Sammy. I'm now thinking of paying the extra $ for a 32" LCD.
rossl is offline  
Old 03-23-2006, 04:45 PM
Senior Member
 
Porcupine2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I agree the Samsungs have a pretty good sharp picture, but the geometry problems are the worst on them. The horizontal bowing on the bottom thirds of the screen is the main thing because pretty much all units have it to some degree, though some are better than others.

I saw the 30FS4D a couple days ago at Best Buy too. They put it out along with the other new models from Toshiba and Insignia (also "Toshiba", this year). I didn't look at it super carefully but it did seem pretty good to me. I checked for some of the problems a couple users reported in this thread but I thought they weren't that bad. For the same price as the Samsung, I think I prefer the LG although I can't say for sure since I've never owned it in my home.

I'd probably buy the LG right now if it had bottom speakers...

Users currently on my Ignore list: Ratman, Q of Banditz, greenland
Porcupine2 is offline  
Old 03-23-2006, 05:27 PM
Member
 
rossl's Avatar
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Central Ohio
Posts: 113
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine2 View Post

I agree the Samsungs have a pretty good sharp picture, but the geometry problems are the worst on them. The horizontal bowing on the bottom thirds of the screen is the main thing because pretty much all units have it to some degree, though some are better than others.

I looked for that bottom bowing issue on the Samsung but it wasn't apparent when I was viewing the Discovery HD feed. After watching both LG and Samsung for a while, the lights behind me in the BestBuy store reflecting off the Sammy screen did bother me. The picture on the LG was soft in the center and got worse on the edges.

After about 5 minutes standing there, a B.B. sales kid came up and asked me if I had any questions. I asked if the Sammy had a QAM tuner. He said it had ATSC. The kid didn't know what a QAM tuner was!
rossl is offline  
Old 03-23-2006, 10:29 PM
qip
Member
 
qip's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jan 2006
Posts: 31
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by rossl View Post

I looked for that bottom bowing issue on the Samsung but it wasn't apparent when I was viewing the Discovery HD feed. After watching both LG and Samsung for a while, the lights behind me in the BestBuy store reflecting off the Sammy screen did bother me. The picture on the LG was soft in the center and got worse on the edges.

After about 5 minutes standing there, a B.B. sales kid came up and asked me if I had any questions. I asked if the Sammy had a QAM tuner. He said it had ATSC. The kid didn't know what a QAM tuner was!


you shoulda then replied " what exactly does atsc stand for"
qip is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 01:15 AM
Newbie
 
indrasut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I am looking into this model too.

So now it is confirmed that the quality of the LG is best in the middle part and got worse in the edge? Can someone who own this help with this issue? It is really bothering at all, especially from Tethyyr who plays 360, because I am going to use it for gaming too! Thanks for info!
indrasut is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 09:34 AM
Newbie
 
John_Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I ran the SpyderTV with the LG 30FS4D hooked up to my XBox 360. In case your wondering what a SpyderTV is, go to their web site.

Calibration was done in a dark room (only a nightlight was on - 4W at that) so you may have to adjust the brightness/contrast to your liking. The results where:

Brightness: 21
Contrast: 26
Color: 54
Tint: 1
Color Temp: Warm

Also, with these settings, I turned XD on and off. VERY noticeable. I left it on. Calibration was done with it turned off.

John_Hat
John_Hat is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 10:37 AM
Newbie
 
trunque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I bought the new LG 30FS4D from BB a couple of days ago. I see an issue with the upper right corner of the screen. There is a yellowish tint (usually only visible when the display is white). Also when watching a 4:3 program (where there are black bars on the outer left and right), the upper right vertical edge of the displayed box bends in slightly towards the center. I really like everything else about the LG. Is it worth lugging it back to BB for another one? They never did put one on display, so I have nothing to compare against. Thanks for any info. This forum is great.
trunque is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 11:43 AM
Member
 
final_thrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Hat View Post

I ran the SpyderTV with the LG 30FS4D hooked up to my XBox 360. In case your wondering what a SpyderTV is, go to their web site.

Calibration was done in a dark room (only a nightlight was on - 4W at that) so you may have to adjust the brightness/contrast to your liking. The results where:

Brightness: 21
Contrast: 26
Color: 54
Tint: 1
Color Temp: Warm

Also, with these settings, I turned XD on and off. VERY noticeable. I left it on. Calibration was done with it turned off.

John_Hat


So did this calibration make a difference in addressing any of the minor problems with this set such as the loss of focus near the edges or the color blobs?

Also can you elaborate a little bit more about how you tested the XD feature? Are you leaving it on or off after calibration?
final_thrill is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 12:21 PM
Newbie
 
John_Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by final_thrill View Post

So did this calibration make a difference in addressing any of the minor problems with this set such as the loss of focus near the edges or the color blobs?

Also can you elaborate a little bit more about how you tested the XD feature? Are you leaving it on or off after calibration?

During the calibration, one of the steps has a large white square on the screen with a black border around it (a couple of inches). It was during this test I noticed, for the first time, a color blob on the left and right side of the screen. The controls (all of them) where at 50 and the color temp was warm. After the calibration I did not notice any color blobs.

As for the testing of the XD feature, it was turn off during the calibration. After all the test were completed they have several photos you can look at. The last photo is of three girls. The middle one has on a sweater. With XD off is looked like a chasmere sweater. Turn it on and you could see the pattern in the knit sweater. Also numbers in a small font were much easier to read with XD on.

I noticed several folks in this form had an Xbox 360 connected to the TV which is why I posted my results.
John_Hat is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 12:24 PM
Newbie
 
indrasut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
John_Hat, thanks for posting your observation. So, based on the results, do you recommend this TV for gamers or not, because I will be mainly using it for gaming, if not watching DVDs.
indrasut is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 12:25 PM
Newbie
 
indrasut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hm, before I forget, how heavy is this TV? Can one person lift this to..say, 2nd floor apt?
indrasut is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 12:52 PM
Newbie
 
trunque's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 3
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As far as weight, I could lift the TV out of the box myself and put it up on the stand. However, while in the box, it was too cumbersome to carry up the stairs by myself. I could have dragged it up the stairs by the box straps, but having a second person was safer (especially for the TV).
trunque is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 02:09 PM
Senior Member
 
Porcupine2's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 405
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
rossi, regarding whether the screen glass is anti-glare or not, it wouldn't matter as much in your house with the lights dimmed anyway, so maybe it shouldn't be that big a deal?

Also, this just occured to me now, but since you find this issue important, couldn't you just go out to a store and buy a can of a flat clearcoat spray paint? Just spray that on your screen glass and I think that turns it into an anti-glare screen. I'm not sure on that, just a thought. I suspect that's all an anti-glare screen really is.

Hmm, maybe it's not such a good idea though. Tiny dust particles could get stuck in the clearcoat maybe and blot out the image at parts. I dunno, better to ask someone else first if you feel like considering it.

Users currently on my Ignore list: Ratman, Q of Banditz, greenland
Porcupine2 is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 02:47 PM
AVS Addicted Member
 
Ratman's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2002
Location: Collingswood, N.J.
Posts: 14,662
Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
Quote:
Originally Posted by Porcupine2 View Post

Also, this just occured to me now, but since you find this issue important, couldn't you just go out to a store and buy a can of a flat clearcoat spray paint? Just spray that on your screen glass and I think that turns it into an anti-glare screen. I'm not sure on that, just a thought. I suspect that's all an anti-glare screen really is/

LOL!!! You've got to be kidding!
Ratman is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 03:12 PM
Newbie
 
indrasut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I just picked the TV from BestBuy 30 minutes ago. I'm setting it up. As far as I'm seeing, I like it a lot! Colors are vibrant, antiglare is great, and no complaints. Will post some more impression later!
indrasut is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 03:22 PM
Member
 
Meltdown611186's Avatar
 
Join Date: Feb 2006
Posts: 96
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hmm I actually decided to try n give those settings a go. Pretty good, although I didnt stick with the same color temp and I did up the contrast and bright, only just a little though. If you do it too much it seems that XD hurts more than it helps. With that said I am thinking XD improves contrast and brightness for a sharper clearer image. Perhaps that was obvious to most..who knows.

Anyways, also it maybe obvious to most but I am not so sure about this. When you are playing xbox 360 do you use 1080i or 720p. It seems that this television can support em both, but which one is it doing natively or whatever. Like I said I am not a completly educated on HDs quite yet. It was my understanding that CRTs do 1080i, but is that best between the TV scaler and the 360 scaler? Sorry if you dont understand what I am asking, I hardly do...
Meltdown611186 is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 03:27 PM
Newbie
 
John_Hat's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: Poughkeepsie, NY
Posts: 6
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by indrasut View Post

John_Hat, thanks for posting your observation. So, based on the results, do you recommend this TV for gamers or not, because I will be mainly using it for gaming, if not watching DVDs.

IMHO its an excellent TV for gaming and/or watching DVDs. Anything in 16X9 format this is an excellent TV. I own one.
John_Hat is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 05:13 PM
Newbie
 
jimbuck's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 1
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi just picked up the display model at best buy in manchester nh for 750.00. they are having a clearence sale on almost all of the tube crt tvs this weekend.
jimbuck is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 05:16 PM
Member
 
final_thrill's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 100
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by John_Hat View Post

During the calibration, one of the steps has a large white square on the screen with a black border around it (a couple of inches). It was during this test I noticed, for the first time, a color blob on the left and right side of the screen. The controls (all of them) where at 50 and the color temp was warm. After the calibration I did not notice any color blobs.

As for the testing of the XD feature, it was turn off during the calibration. After all the test were completed they have several photos you can look at. The last photo is of three girls. The middle one has on a sweater. With XD off is looked like a chasmere sweater. Turn it on and you could see the pattern in the knit sweater. Also numbers in a small font were much easier to read with XD on.

I noticed several folks in this form had an Xbox 360 connected to the TV which is why I posted my results.


Ok John so would you reccomend that we buy SpyderTV if we buy this tv, or are the results you showed good enough? Also with these settings, the tv has no minor problems? The reason I'm trying to make sure is because I'm about one inch away from buying this tv.
final_thrill is offline  
Old 03-24-2006, 05:28 PM
Newbie
 
indrasut's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Posts: 8
Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I played around with the TV a little bit more. This seems like a great TV, too bad I dont use it to watch TV often. I tried with John's setting, I found it too dark for me, but I didnt notice any blurriness or yellow/blueish hue in either side of the TV, the TV seems perfect for me, of course it is new.

Anyway, the graphic for Oblivion (360) is stunning, and I use the HD cable provided from Premium. If anyone needs screenies, let me know...
indrasut is offline  
 
Thread Tools


Forum Jump: 

Posting Rules  
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off