Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 714 Old 04-08-2006, 11:04 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by mattskr View Post

Pretty sure you can't fix the focusing problems...

I've raped the service menu looking for a solution.

Look at dsettlemoir photo....see how the black lines are super fine in the middle but lose their sharpness at the sides. It looks worse when it's white on black.

btw, dsettlemoir, what is your test pattern running off of?

I just authored a DVD with several psuedo test patterns and color bars on it.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 714 Old 04-09-2006, 06:42 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by dragndrop View Post

If anyone hasn't heard already, this TV is $849.99 at BestBuy right now. Looks like a great tv at a decent price. I'm waiting for the Samsung Slimfit 2006 models to see if the geometry issues(bowing) have been solved. If not, I'm getting this one. Too bad it only has 1 HDMI input unlike the samsung slimfits that are coming out next month. But that's nothing a quality receiver can't solve down the line.

Is there any more info on the slimfits? specs?
post #183 of 714 Old 04-11-2006, 08:10 AM

Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by final_thrill View Post

No buzzing on mine.

No buzzing on mine either.
post #184 of 714 Old 04-12-2006, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by amtalx View Post

Im buying one of two new tvs either the LG 30FS4D or the Samsung TX-R3079WH. Ive been to best buy and they luckily they had them side by side so i could do an easy comparison. They both look nice. The issue i have is that the sammy has worse geometry problems and the LG has the loss of focus near the edges of the screen. I will primarily be using this tv for gaming and watching movies. What i would like to know is if its possible to fix the focus issues around the edges in the service menu for the LG. If so ill probably go with the LG since the geometry issues didnt seem that bad. Ive also heard bad things about the sammys dying after a few months. Anyone got something to say about that?

I turned to these forums alot over the past few months, and they have been very helpful. Now that I have finally settled on a product, I thought I would add my 2 cents. I had the Samsung 3080 for about a week. It had significant color and geometry issues no matter what adjustments I made. The tech people were not particularly helpful either. I returned it and bought an LG last week after another month of comparing. I am much happier with the LG. PQ is great, the chassis is attractive (Sammy looked good too), antiglare is nice and even the tech people were friendly and helpful. Games look so much better than any flat panel I have seen. For this size, I didn't see anything out there that was better.
post #185 of 714 Old 04-12-2006, 05:21 PM

Hmm..I a current Samsung TX-R3079 owner that needs another set for my place. I'm currently considering the new LG slimfit or a 26" Samsung lcd. The set will primarily be used for gaming on my Xbox 360. Right now I'm using the TX-R3079 but cant decide if I want to continue using it. I must be lucky because I really dont have any issues with my current Samsung. I even gotten compliments from others about how good the 360 games look on it ( Ghost Recon and Fight Night are killer). Wondering if I should just get the newer Samsung slimfit TR-R3082 I believe or the LG or even a 26" Samsung lcd. The only reason I really am considering the lcd is because 90% of the 360 displays use the Samsung lcd and I've been impressed with its images. I'd consider another Samsung but dont want to get a bad set which seems to happen to alot of users.
post #186 of 714 Old 04-12-2006, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 14
So the consensus is that the there are focusing issues at the corners?

Still trying to figure out what tv to go with...every time I think I found the tv I want, something negative crops up. This has been a difficult decision to make
post #187 of 714 Old 04-12-2006, 09:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by andyd2k View Post

Still trying to figure out what tv to go with...every time I think I found the tv I want, something negative crops up. This has been a difficult decision to make

Its terrible isn't it? I don't think I'll ever buy anything after visiting these forums. I find myself contemplating waiting for 2nd generation SED...
post #188 of 714 Old 04-13-2006, 02:09 PM

The Sammy LNS series Lcd's are awesome for gaming. Trust me. Sammy and MS hooked up to design the compatibility. Get the LNS2651D, hook up to component and box out...

A truly religious experience
post #189 of 714 Old 04-13-2006, 05:54 PM

Liked: 11
Took a walk into best buy today to check out this set. My impressions were as follow. After turning down the contrast from the blazing 100 they had it set at and then i messed with the ez video inputs and set it to digital display or something like that I can say this tv looked sweet. I didnt see any geometry issues and I tried looking for bluriness at the ends of the screen and unless I looked for it and stared for awhile looking back and forth between the center and outer edge there was just a small bit but not anything worth crying over. There was a samsung 3079 right next to it and the LG definitely looked better PQ wise, and I did adjust the samsung on my own to make it look better. In all scenarios I will probably pick this tv up, im just going to wait for it to drop a little bit more because im a poor just outta college kid, but regardless once I do ill post my review and hopefully will come back saying this is a good buy.
post #190 of 714 Old 04-14-2006, 08:48 AM

Has anyone noticed while watching DVD's or playing a game system that the screen jumps or shakes? This seems to happen on the LG 30FS4D that I have. I talked to BB yesterday and they haven't heard about any problems. They said I could bring it in and they would diagnose it for me and if they can get it to happen again they would replace the tv since I bought it less than 30 days ago. I am worried that they will not be able to recreate the problem. The times that I notice it the most is when we are watching a DVD and there is a lot of action on the screen.
post #191 of 714 Old 04-14-2006, 12:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lgct View Post

Is the "buzz" common with this t.v.? Ours is annoyingly loud when first turned on and then subsides somewhat once warm. There is also some cracking-type noises emitted every now and then (from the back of the case). Our set has the slim side-focus issues and also what appears to be some shadowing on the sides (with bright pictures). We have no noticeable bowing. We had the yellow issue but it seems to have worked itself out. Still get the blue-ish tint on white background. On black-screen, we get a blob/blotch/spot of black that is darker than the rest of the screen above the lower left corner. Trying to decide whether these issues are just concessions of the slim-tubes or if they warrant a return.

We decided to exchange this t.v. before our 30-day time frame passed. The BB customer service team said they had to "investigate" before granting permission for the transaction. Before unpacking, they got as far as plugging-in and powering-up before viola...BUZZ!! They immediately agreed this was NOT normal and gave us a new set.

Get t.v. #2 home, unpack, power-up, and BUZZ! The same as the first...initially very loud then backs-off a bit once warm. This occurs EVERY time the set is turned-off and back on, and the buzz persists regardless. The good news is as a whole, this set has a much better picture than the last. Reception has even improved. We still have the slim-tube side focus/ shadowing issues; however, no color/black/warping problems are apparent. It seems like these things are hit & miss (like most electronic/cars/etc.). We really like the t.v. and can accept the slim-tube/widescreen picture idiosyncracies. However, we are trying to decide if the noise issue is tolerable. If not, I think this one will go back for good. The third time could be a charm or open-up a whole new can of worms.
post #192 of 714 Old 04-14-2006, 09:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3starjay View Post

The Sammy LNS series Lcd's are awesome for gaming. Trust me. Sammy and MS hooked up to design the compatibility. Get the LNS2651D, hook up to component and box out...

A truly religious experience

The XBOX 360 and Samsung LCD are paired up for the XBOX 360 demos. I've tried a few different kiosks and while most games look very good, Fight Night Round 3 shows quite a bit of image blur. Maybe the contrast ratio needs to be turned down. A deal breaker for me, but otherwise a very nice set.
post #193 of 714 Old 04-14-2006, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by seanheis View Post

The XBOX 360 and Samsung LCD are paired up for the XBOX 360 demos. I've tried a few different kiosks and while most games look very good, Fight Night Round 3 shows quite a bit of image blur. Maybe the contrast ratio needs to be turned down. A deal breaker for me, but otherwise a very nice set.

Sean...none of the demo stations use the newer model of Samsung lcd. They have a new game mode that MS helped out on and it increases the image quality and response time. Image blur doesnt happen on them. I just picked up the set at Best Buy tonight. Now I have to lug the slim-fit out of my entertainment room to make way for the lcd.
post #194 of 714 Old 04-14-2006, 10:21 PM

This is so annoying. I brought my 30FS4D back and got a new one and I still see the jumping or shaking of the screen. I am not sure if there is interference with the AV cables or what. I am using a PS2 with the regular Red/White/Yellow hookups. Does this TV not like these cables? Would speakers being too close cause a problem? I am getting frustrated with this TV.
post #195 of 714 Old 04-15-2006, 03:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerX52986 View Post

Sean...none of the demo stations use the newer model of Samsung lcd. They have a new game mode that MS helped out on and it increases the image quality and response time. Image blur doesnt happen on them. I just picked up the set at Best Buy tonight. Now I have to lug the slim-fit out of my entertainment room to make way for the lcd.

Microsoft did not help Samsung with creating a new display mode or any features for their displays.
post #196 of 714 Old 04-16-2006, 01:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dragndrop View Post

Microsoft did not help Samsung with creating a new display mode or any features for their displays.

Dragn...my apologies as I misread what is on the Samsung website. You are correct as it only states the game mode has been tested by MS engineers. Needless to say it works very well.
post #197 of 714 Old 04-16-2006, 09:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bcharles1 View Post

This is so annoying. I brought my 30FS4D back and got a new one and I still see the jumping or shaking of the screen. I am not sure if there is interference with the AV cables or what. I am using a PS2 with the regular Red/White/Yellow hookups. Does this TV not like these cables? Would speakers being too close cause a problem? I am getting frustrated with this TV.

Good grief, my friend. You're killing Best Buy margins - don't return the TV! You need to hook your stuff up properly for the best end result. Run back to Best Buy, apologize for returning a great tv, and then buy yourself a set of component cables and a progressive-scan DVD player (not the Cyberhome!) or an HDMI up-converting DVD player w/an HDMI cable. Please, you spent a lot of money on the tv, make sure you know what you need to connect it the right away and get the good stuff. You'll be much happier in the end.
post #198 of 714 Old 04-17-2006, 08:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTrayne View Post

Good grief, my friend. You're killing Best Buy margins - don't return the TV! You need to hook your stuff up properly for the best end result. Run back to Best Buy, apologize for returning a great tv, and then buy yourself a set of component cables and a progressive-scan DVD player (not the Cyberhome!) or an HDMI up-converting DVD player w/an HDMI cable. Please, you spent a lot of money on the tv, make sure you know what you need to connect it the right away and get the good stuff. You'll be much happier in the end.

Will this fix my problems I am having with my screen jumping (or shaking)? If this is the issue with it why didn't someone from LG or Best Buy tell me that? I feel I am pretty good with AV equipment but this new HD stuff is all new to me. I figured that I could use my old DVD player with the new TV and things would be the same it was with the old TV that we replaced. If it doesn't like the composite cables that I currently use why would they even have the hookups on the TV? Thanks for your information I will try that tonight.
post #199 of 714 Old 04-17-2006, 09:47 AM

Hey everyone, new guy to the forums here. After reading many posts about the LG, I decided to go ahead and replace our old 19" with the LG 30FS4d (much cheaper than an LCD!!).

That being siad, and after quite a bit of searching, has anyone had issues with the sound from this set? I use this TV just for TV viewing (main HT is downstairs), so I don't have a home theater system hooked up to it, just using the TV speakers. We didn't have this problem before on the old set, but with the LG it seems like there is a huge variation in the volume level between cable channels. On most channels, we have to have the TV at 50 and the cable box volume 1/2 way up to hear it. Other channels we need to have both almost all the way up jsut to barely hear what is going on. Is this normal for this set? It is kind of a pain to have to remember to adjust the volume before changing the channel to make sure I don't blow the speakers. IIRC, I have the EZ SoundRite On, EZ Sound Off, and hooked up to the digital cable box by regular RCA cables. I have looked throught the cable box and TV menus and nothing seems to improve the sound. So far, this is my biggest and only peeve with this TV.

Any thoughts as to why I can hardly get any sound?

Thanks,
Neil
post #200 of 714 Old 04-18-2006, 12:23 AM

Hi everyone! I noticed on my set that the sides of the picture were being cut off; for instance, the "FOX" logo was cut off on the right side of the screen on the OTA broadcast of 24, so I went into the service menu and started poking around. Unforunately, I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't write down the original settings. So I have a couple questions:

1. Will each telivision have its own specific service menu (geometry) settings?

2. If they all have the same settings, could someone who has this set and has not modified the service menu settings go into the service menu, copy the settings and post them here? I would greatly appreciate it. To get to service menu, press and hold the menu key on the remote and the menu key on the telivision.

I've gotten the picture decent, there are still some portions of the display that aren't vertically straight, but the picture is no longer cut off at all. I do notice now, that there are some strange lines at the center of both the left and right sides of the screen. I'm really completely in the dark about calibrating the geometry, I mean I can fiddle till it looks good, but I can't get it the way it was. And I'm not sure if this new effect that I'm seeing is a result of me messing up the geometry, or if it is a defect that was hidden because the display was not completely viewable.
post #201 of 714 Old 04-18-2006, 01:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Your screwed. This is why you need to write down or take pics of your values. If you didnt know what you was doing. Why be in there poking around? Im not flaming you or anything. Please dont take it that way. Each tv has there own unique values when there made. So nobodys are the same everyones different. Usually in the sm you think you fixed the problem and it messes with something else. This seems to be the case. Even techs screw up in there and they make the picture even worse than what it was. Imo it shouldnt even be touched and just exchange the tv and hope for the best. I cant really help you on the lg. I have a slimfit. Sorry man. Hopefully someone can atleast try and help you.

Quote:
Originally Posted by dickwelsh View Post

Hi everyone! I noticed on my set that the sides of the picture were being cut off; for instance, the "FOX" logo was cut off on the right side of the screen on the OTA broadcast of 24, so I went into the service menu and started poking around. Unforunately, I didn't know what I was doing and I didn't write down the original settings. So I have a couple questions:

1. Will each telivision have its own specific service menu (geometry) settings?

2. If they all have the same settings, could someone who has this set and has not modified the service menu settings go into the service menu, copy the settings and post them here? I would greatly appreciate it. To get to service menu, press and hold the menu key on the remote and the menu key on the telivision.

I've gotten the picture decent, there are still some portions of the display that aren't vertically straight, but the picture is no longer cut off at all. I do notice now, that there are some strange lines at the center of both the left and right sides of the screen. I'm really completely in the dark about calibrating the geometry, I mean I can fiddle till it looks good, but I can't get it the way it was. And I'm not sure if this new effect that I'm seeing is a result of me messing up the geometry, or if it is a defect that was hidden because the display was not completely viewable.

post #202 of 714 Old 04-18-2006, 05:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KoRn View Post

Your screwed. This is why you need to write down or take pics of your values. If you didnt know what you was doing. Why be in there poking around? Im not flaming you or anything. Please dont take it that way. Each tv has there own unique values when there made. So nobodys are the same everyones different. Usually in the sm you think you fixed the problem and it messes with something else. This seems to be the case. Even techs screw up in there and they make the picture even worse than what it was. Imo it shouldnt even be touched and just exchange the tv and hope for the best. I cant really help you on the lg. I have a slimfit. Sorry man. Hopefully someone can atleast try and help you.

Well, I really was just poking around because I assumed that there would be a way to restore the default settings. I happened accross the method to enter the service menu on this board, but didn't read a post that said to make sure to write down the initial settings before making any modifications until after I had already messed with it. The model I have is the LG 30FS4D, and it is a slimfit. If you have the same telivision could you at least post your service menu values? They might be able to give me a better picture than what I have now.
post #203 of 714 Old 04-18-2006, 11:59 AM

Man, more and more issues seem to surface... I really want to like this LG, too. I am a former (thank god) BB employee, who was very close to buying the Samsung SlimFit for my bedroom. But I think I am still going to look further into the LG SuperSlim, since I don't game much anymore.

Unfortunately, I don't think they'll perfect the concept of slim CRT anytime soon. I think it has to do with the way slim CRT's are made. With traditional non-slim CRT sets, (Sony, Toshiba, Philips, etc.) two picture tubes are used to give a widescreen aspect. This is why 16:9 CRT's weigh SO much more than 4:3 sets. Due to the way that slim CRT's taper in the back and present a much smaller footprint, one traditional tube is used. With this one tube, the set must be able to fill a widescreen area, this is accomplished by several methods; using bigger phosphors, slightly stretching the image, etc. This obviously presents many different consequences, as we're beginning to see with ALL slim sets, regardless of manufacturer. From bowing to blurred edges, these are just the side-effects of having one tradional tube present a 16:9 widescreen image.

For my use of simple TV watching, (in all formats) I thought the Samsung SlimFit would be the way to go. Finding out that the LG seems to "blow the Sammy away," I'm still quite intrigued by the unit. I just need to check it out in person, before I proceed to order it. I am an authorized dealer for LG, so I can't really 'check it out,' without using a traditional retail outlet before purchase.
post #204 of 714 Old 04-18-2006, 04:35 PM

If these manufacturers know that there are problems with these sets, WHY do they put them on the market? I bought the LG superslim and when the picture is stretched out it looks ok. When the picture is in 4:3 mode it looks like ****. I work for best buy and I don't care if it hurts their margin. Paying for a tv that I am not satisfied with hurts MY margin. I am the one paying for the tv and if it ain't right I ain't gonna keep it. The only thing that looks good on this tv is HD and that is it.
$ is $.
post #205 of 714 Old 04-18-2006, 10:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockford33 View Post

Hey everyone, new guy to the forums here. After reading many posts about the LG, I decided to go ahead and replace our old 19" with the LG 30FS4d (much cheaper than an LCD!!).

That being siad, and after quite a bit of searching, has anyone had issues with the sound from this set? I use this TV just for TV viewing (main HT is downstairs), so I don't have a home theater system hooked up to it, just using the TV speakers. We didn't have this problem before on the old set, but with the LG it seems like there is a huge variation in the volume level between cable channels. On most channels, we have to have the TV at 50 and the cable box volume 1/2 way up to hear it. Other channels we need to have both almost all the way up jsut to barely hear what is going on. Is this normal for this set? It is kind of a pain to have to remember to adjust the volume before changing the channel to make sure I don't blow the speakers. IIRC, I have the EZ SoundRite On, EZ Sound Off, and hooked up to the digital cable box by regular RCA cables. I have looked throught the cable box and TV menus and nothing seems to improve the sound. So far, this is my biggest and only peeve with this TV.

Any thoughts as to why I can hardly get any sound?

Thanks,
Neil

If I had to guess... I'd bet you're on Comcast. I have the HD package from Comcast, and I have noticed that when on most of the HD channels, the volume is drastically different from commercials and the programs themselves. At first, I thought the commercials were playing much louder than the show, but after some channel switching and checking, I found that actually, the commercials play at the same volume as everything on the non HD channels. What actually happens is that when the show comes on after a commercial break, the volume actually gets much quieter. So, without thinking, I pump the volume way up to hear the program, then when the next commercial break comes on, the volume blast me out of my chair. Very annoying. I also noticed that the volume changes occur as the picture mode of the channel switches from HD widescreen format for the program to 4:3 mode for the commercials and back. Also, on my Comcast package, I can change between the HD version of local stations and standard version of the same channels. The volume changes only occur on the HD versions of each station. I wish someone would know who to contact at Comcast to fix this issue. My friends report having the same problem, so I think it's system wide, at least in my region. Anyway, if that's what you're seeing, it's not the TV, is your cable provider probably.
post #206 of 714 Old 04-19-2006, 05:06 AM

Pharrg,
You're right, I am with Comcast. I don't have the HD box yet for this TV (although I can get the local HD stations without it). I find huge differences in volume between different channels. My wife likes to watch Jewelry Television (ch. 282). She has to have the TV and cable box volumes at about 75% to hear the show. Other channels aren't as bad, usually both volumes 1/2 way is adequate. Did not have this issue with the last tv hooked up to the same cable box. My concern is blowing the speakers accidently if I forget to change the volume when I change the channel. I hope to get my DVD player hooked up to this TV this week and see how that sounds. Definitely my biggest (and only) pet peeve so far.

Thanks,
Neil
post #207 of 714 Old 04-19-2006, 07:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTrayne View Post

HTrayne
I have talked to Best Buy where I bought the TV they said if you still have problems with the TV bring it back. I guess they don't care about their own margins. I am still having problems. I brought my PS2 in and hooked it up to the demo TV and the Best Buy employee actually saw it happen. He said it shouldn't be doing that no matter what cables I am using. I looked into the prices for the things you suggested.
PS2 Component cable 59.99
Progressive scan DVD player 149.99
Component cables 30.00
When I buy a TV it should work the same way my old one did. I shouldn't have to buy a new DVD player and cables. The Best Buy employee aggreed with me. He said I could try the cables and bring them back in 30 days if they don't change anything. After he said that I thought of you and thought to myself that what he said would mess with Best Buy's margins also. They must feel that they want their customers happy and not worry about margins. All I am looking for is someone to help me with how I currently have it hooked up and not spending the same amount of money that I spent on the TV to get it working properly. I have a budget to work with I am getting married in July, closing on a house in July. If I didn't have to replace a TV I wouldn't have bought a new one.
post #208 of 714 Old 04-19-2006, 09:33 AM

The BestBuy here in Montgomery, Al. got in the 30FS4D about a month ago. None were on display and had to persist before one was taken out of the box and hooked up. With that said, my first impression was one of disappointment. I decided to hold out and compare a few of the other models scheduled to come out before buying a new set. The set had a fresh modern look, but the PQ was dull and grainy. I initially thought it might be the anti glare coating and the edges looked very blurred.

A month later, the exact same sets PQ has improved drastically. Colors are more vivid, side blur is minimal and it had less overscan than any other unit. Knowing this store as I do, I doubt they have touched the unit. It just needed some burn in hours. The upside of this is now the unit is lower in price than the first time I inspected it. It may be the winner as the TX-S3082wh had the same issues as the prior generation and the 30HF66 is still a rumor in the wind.
post #209 of 714 Old 04-19-2006, 10:58 AM

so i returned my 30FS4D to best buy on monday to get a new one. i was having some color blob problems on my screen and i was getting that buzzing noise from the back of the tv.

so anyways, now my new tv has a new problem. after the tv has been on for about an hour or so, this really high pitch sound starts coming from the back. it's not super loud, but the tone is high enough that it is really annoying. almost enough to give you a headache. it looks like i will be taking this one back as well. it sucks because i really want to like this tv, but for the money i'm spending, i don't want to just settle for something that i'm not totally satisfied with. i might just have to go with an LCD.
post #210 of 714 Old 04-19-2006, 08:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rockford33 View Post

Pharrg,
You're right, I am with Comcast. I don't have the HD box yet for this TV (although I can get the local HD stations without it). I find huge differences in volume between different channels. My wife likes to watch Jewelry Television (ch. 282). She has to have the TV and cable box volumes at about 75% to hear the show. Other channels aren't as bad, usually both volumes 1/2 way is adequate. Did not have this issue with the last tv hooked up to the same cable box. My concern is blowing the speakers accidently if I forget to change the volume when I change the channel. I hope to get my DVD player hooked up to this TV this week and see how that sounds. Definitely my biggest (and only) pet peeve so far.

Thanks,
Neil

Just as bad with HD box.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page