LG 30FS4D 30" slim CRT - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 714 Old 01-20-2006, 08:02 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
It looks like LG will finally introduce a slim CRT set in the US. The model is the 30FS4D. It is 15.9" deep. The owner's manual is on LG's website.

Robert
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 714 Old 01-20-2006, 08:27 PM

Robert
I couldn't find on us.lge.com
please post link
thanx
post #3 of 714 Old 01-21-2006, 01:38 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #4 of 714 Old 01-21-2006, 05:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
What's the diff between this and the current Z model that BB carries?

Does this have a Samsung tube? I wonder if it will have "geometry" issues?

They need a better fact checker: page 57 -> Model 32FS4D-UC

Even lighter than the Sammy Slim Fit.
post #5 of 714 Old 01-22-2006, 07:51 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

The 30FZ4D does not use a slim CRT. This set should have an LG.Philips slim CRT. In most other countries TV tube size indicates the overall size of the tube, not just the viewable area. This is where the 32FS4D comes from. In fact, the service model number for this set is 32FS4D-UC which is on the front cover as well.

Robert
post #6 of 714 Old 01-22-2006, 08:11 AM

Trying to square this with the 12/21/2005 announcement on lgphilips-displays.com:

LG.Philips Displays Takes Non-Cash Impairment Charge of Approximately US$725 Million
Focus on CRT demand in emerging markets

Hong Kong, 21 December 2005 - LG.Philips Displays, a joint venture between LG Electronics of Korea and Philips of the Netherlands , is the world's leading provider of cathode ray tubes (CRT) for TV and computer monitors.

In recent months, however, capacity increases and very strong price erosion of flat panel TVs have created adverse market conditions for CRTs in advanced markets such as Europe . Flat panel TVs have reached mass market price points in an unexpectedly short time. The resulting reduction in demand for CRTs has adversely affected LG.Philips Displays operations.

As a result, LG.Philips Displays will take an impairment charge of approximately US$725 million in its fourth quarter results, as a non-cash write-off of assets, which is necessary according to US GAAP.

Recognizing the dynamics of the CRT industry, we must be proactive in managing our asset base and capital structure. We have to bring ourselves into a better position to continue to supply our customers with the most competitive products, said Jeong IL Son, President and CEO.

In order to improve its business position and financial structure, several options are being discussed with various parties, while the company is strengthening its long-term supply arrangements with its key customers, LGE and Philips.

Mr. Son noted further that the global demand for CRTs is shifting. The market for CRT is still large, but it is becoming more concentrated in emerging economies, he said. LG.Philips Displays is committed to maintain its technological and commercial leadership in those markets, where CRTs will dominate in the years ahead.
post #7 of 714 Old 01-22-2006, 10:35 AM
AVS Special Member

becoming more concentrated in emerging economies

I assume that means less CRTs for the US and the models that are available are based on other "world" models.
post #8 of 714 Old 01-22-2006, 12:59 PM

Robert,
Manual is encouraging and biker dude you are right-- at 113+ lbs, if not portable, it surely would be moveable.
post #9 of 714 Old 01-27-2006, 06:14 AM

Published: January 27, 2006
Filed at 7:19 a.m. ET

Skip to next paragraph LONDON (Reuters) - LG.Philips Displays, the world's biggest TV and monitors picture tube maker, said on Friday it had filed for creditor protection for its European holding company due to large debts it can no longer honor.

The Hong Kong-based venture, which is jointly owned by Philips (PHG.AS) and LG Electronics (066570.KS), said it had also asked for creditor protection for its Dutch and Czech units and its German affiliate, while the French unit may follow next week after talks with employee representatives on Monday.

Subsidiaries in Mexico, the United States and Slovakia, which fall under the European holding, will also have to assess their financial situation as the company struggles with falling demand in rich nations for bulky tubes, the firm said.

``(LG.Philips Displays Holding BV) has said it can no longer support loss-leading subsidiaries, because it cannot acquire long-term financing,'' it said in a statement issued in the Netherlands.

``The European holding has had to pay for large restructurings and acquired large debts. And no money is coming in anymore,'' said a spokesman for the firm.

He declined to give details about the debt burden.

LG.Philips Displays booked an operating loss of around 10 million euros ($12.24 million) in the fourth quarter.

Units in Poland, Brazil, China, Indonesia and South Korea will continue manufacturing, while units in the United Kingdom and two in the Netherlands should also be able to pull through, it added. Together they represent about 85 percent of production.

The future of most European units will be in the hands of the administrator who took control of the company's management on Friday. LG.Philips Displays expected ``negative effects'' for a total of 750 employees in the Netherlands and Germany.

LG.Philips Displays produces one in four picture tubes sold around the world.

Labor unions were enraged that the company had decided to pull the plug on Dutch units only weeks after it had agreed a social plan for 300 staff who were already due to be laid off.

``The social plan doesn't mean anything anymore. We'll point Philips at its responsibility as a good employer,'' said Ron Peters, a negotiator at the biggest Dutch union FNV.

TUBES WRITE-DOWN

The two parent companies, Philips and LG, wrote off their stakes in the troubled venture late last year as it struggled with falling demand for cathode ray tubes due to the popularity of flat panel displays.

Philips took 416 million euros of impairment charges for the unit as well as a 42-million-euro charge for liabilities under a guarantee provided to banks.

Philips, which had to refinance the tubes venture with several hundred millions of euros as recently as two years ago, has said LG.Philips Displays will no longer affect its financial results.

``We regret what's going on, but we're a shareholder and not managing the company. We'll examine what's going on,'' said a Philips spokesman, reiterating that Philips shareholders were no longer exposed to any bad news from LG.Philips Displays.

Philips shares fell 0.5 percent at 27.49 euros by 1130 GMT, underperforming a 0.7 percent higher DJ Stoxx index of European technical stocks (.SX8P).

LG and Philips have a separate venture for flat panel displays, LG Philips LCD (034220.KS), which produces one in every five LCD plat panel displays sold around the world and is very profitable.

``Although demand for cathode ray tubes has fallen sharply in mature markets, the global demand for these products remains strong, especially in emerging markets,'' the firm said.
post #10 of 714 Old 01-27-2006, 08:41 AM
AVS Special Member

Probably the same story with every other tube maker - well to do folks are jumping on the "flat screen" bandwagon. I expect the smaller tube market to stay healthy.
post #11 of 714 Old 01-27-2006, 12:44 PM

I think that's correct. The recently announced 26" Toshiba 480i may be turn out to be good set. $399 list and hopefully without the problems of the hdtv models.
post #12 of 714 Old 02-02-2006, 04:56 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

post #13 of 714 Old 02-03-2006, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert123 View Post

MSRP $899.95 and ETA March.

Is that for the new LG slim CRT model?

TWinbrook46636
post #14 of 714 Old 02-03-2006, 10:43 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by robert123 View Post

MSRP $899.95 and ETA March.

Robert

By coincidence the same price as the current Sammy slim-fit. I would have thought it would be less.
post #15 of 714 Old 02-03-2006, 04:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

By coincidence the same price as the current Sammy slim-fit. I would have thought it would be less.

At least the LG set has QAM.

TWinbrook46636
post #16 of 714 Old 02-20-2006, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

I was at BB today and they no longer carry the current 30" LG model (they had one on display during the holidays). That does not bode well for this new slim fit.

All current models without an ATSC tuner had fairly large discounts.
post #17 of 714 Old 02-20-2006, 06:46 PM

> I think that's correct. The recently announced 26" Toshiba 480i may be turn out to be good set. $399 list and hopefully without the problems of the hdtv models.

That's a very interesting observation. I never even noticed that Toshiba is planning to release widescreen SDTVs in 2006. There don't even seem to be any at the moment so that's great news. One thing though, the prices on those seem a bit too high. $400 for a 26" SDTV? That's not normal. The Sony 27" Wega SDTV is only $350 or so. Its seems like Toshiba expects you to pay for the "widescreen-ness" itself, which is not something that should cost anything. You should pay for diagonal screen size, regardless of aspect ratio.

Maybe it's just my own pricing ideas or observations that are off...what do you guys think on those prices?

Users currently on my Ignore list: Ratman, Q of Banditz, greenland
post #18 of 714 Old 02-21-2006, 06:05 AM

$399 is just a proposed list for a new model. I agree with your logic about some sort of parity with the sony 27" sdtv. But this (orion) set is dtv. Don't know yet what sony sd dtv will be priced at.
post #19 of 714 Old 02-21-2006, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

During a search on the 30HF66, I found two places that are pre-selling them for between $60 and $150 off the $799 list price. When you think that most seperate tuners are in the $200 range, $400 for a decent 26" SDTV with ATSC/QAM tuner built in almost seems reasonable. The jump from that to $800 for 4 extra inches of viewable space and HD resolution seems a bit much.
post #20 of 714 Old 02-21-2006, 01:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by biker19 View Post

During a search on the 30HF66, I found two places that are pre-selling them for between $60 and $150 off the $799 list price. When you think that most seperate tuners are in the $200 range, $400 for a decent 26" SDTV with ATSC/QAM tuner built in almost seems reasonable. The jump from that to $800 for 4 extra inches of viewable space and HD resolution seems a bit much.

Quoted internet prices should include shipping. You did not include shipping in those quotes. The only thing that matters to the buyer is the Internet price + Shipping as compared to the Real Life price + Tax. For CRTs usually the Shipping is far more than the tax.

I agree with the sentiments that the digital tuner might cost something, however I suspect in reality it costs next to nothing when integrated into a TV set. In any case, you can still compare the upcoming Toshiba 26" and 30" widescreen SDTVs with their 27" and 32" 4:3 SDTV flat-screen counterparts. All of those have digital tuners this year plus they are from the same company. Yet the 26" widescreen is more expensive than the 27" and the 30" is more expensive than the 32". Toshiba for some reason thinks being widescreen makes a TV cost more even though it's the same size or smaller, which doesn't seem right to me.

post #21 of 714 Old 02-21-2006, 05:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I assume on the HD sets the tube and a few parts of the chassis are quite a bit more expensive than on an SD set. If it did cost Toshiba and others the same for an SD and HD set of the same size they would probably sell it at the same price - competition would force the prices so.
post #22 of 714 Old 03-05-2006, 07:01 PM

Hello, I'm new to the forums, looking at the slim CRT televisions, etc, etc. Anyway, I was at BestBuy yesterday, and I found this new slim LG TV there. I had the presence of mind to snap a photo:

I'm going to wait to post the picture since this silly forum won't let new users post links....if someone with picture posting rights private messages me with their email, I'll send them the pic to post

As you can see, the price was $949. It looked pretty good, but my lady friend was there with me so I didn't have a chance to go into the settings and try to make it better. I'm totally convinced that the floor models (CRTs particularly so, since they are the unpopular tech) at BestBuy are badly mistreated and so I only vaguely consider the PQ. Anyhow, its pretty sexy, but not as sexy as the new 30" Samsung that is supposed to be out this month. It is still kind of fresh in my mind if anyone has any questions...
post #23 of 714 Old 03-07-2006, 12:25 PM
TiZ

I picked up one of these from Best Buy on 03.07.06, was told I was the first to get one from their store and they didn't know much about it. I am new to HDTV and know very little, but I wanted a slim TV so I could keep my entertainment center, but didn't want to spend more for an LCD.

I was going to BB to buy the Samsung slim, but I noticed the LG next to it. The only reason I got the LG was because of the color (more black than silver) and because it was a newer model than the Samsung. It was easy to setup and looks good.

Like I said before, I am new to HDTV and using OTA (indoor antenna) so I don't know if its the TV or something else, but the signal strength on most channels are fairly high, but all of a sudden it will drop and I will get a black screen for a few seconds.

Another thing I noticed is a buzzing sound from the speakers after powering on. It does go away after a couple minutes and doesn't return. When I saw the floor model in BB it was turned off and I did not notice this noise when I turned it on in the store, but then again the store it louder than my living room.

If you guys have any questions about the TV, I'll try my best to answer, but remember I may not know what I'm talking about.

TiZ
post #24 of 714 Old 03-07-2006, 08:06 PM

After reading your post I also went to Best Buy and Circuit City today on 3-07-06. Neither had the LG 30" slim CRT out yet. The old LG 30" (with side speakers, if I remember correctly) was also gone from the Best Buy. I asked one salesman about the LG and upcoming Toshiba widescreen HDTVs, but the guy was totally clueless and didn't know anything.

It is interesting that you managed to get this set because the Best Buy website does not list any LG CRTs. So I guess their website doesn't have all their products on it, or is behind.

There is one other Best Buy in this state. Probably I'll wait another week or so then check again. Thx for the instanteous heads-up.

BTW, I had also gone out today with the intent of trying out the Samsung 30" slim HDTV, but decided against it. After studying it very carefully in the store with the intent to actually buy, I noticed more flaws in the picture quality and decided that it was not an acceptable TV to me.

post #25 of 714 Old 03-07-2006, 09:05 PM

Here is the picture jpaul referred to. This model is now featured on the LG website. It looks like LG did some cost cutting as it doesn't look nearly as nice as the preproduction version did. That's a shame as it was one of the nicest looking sets out there. Click here to see how it was originally going to look. It's the one on the right. Anyway, I hope they will have these up and running soon so we can compare the geometry to that of the Samsung sets.

TWinbrook46636
post #26 of 714 Old 03-07-2006, 10:46 PM

Is there any information about the differences in technologies that Samsung and LG use? Thanks for posting that picture, by the way.

Porcupine, just out of curiousity, what kind of flaws did you discover in the Samsung SlimFit? I am curious because it occurs to me that they give absolutely zero time to setting up/maintaining the CRT sets at BestBuy and related stores, so seriously picking out flaws is beyond me (I have seen sets atrociously broken or misconfigured). Now that I think about it, the new LG was running a SD feed at BestBuy where I saw it. Way to make a TV look its best! Sigh...
post #27 of 714 Old 03-07-2006, 11:36 PM

Hey all,

I work for Best Buy and today I got my hands on the LG Slimfit (30FS4D). Here are some observations.

1) Style --- Not quite as nice looking as the Samsung slimfit (IMO), but I do appreciate that it's all black around the frame instead of having silver speakers.

2) Picture quality --- Picture looked pretty good after I made a few adjustments, and had it running off the antenna instead of the ghetto coax.

3) No glare?? --- This was the most surprising and intriguing thing I noticed. There is virtually NO reflection or glare coming off the screen. Very strange, screen sounds a bit different when you tap it, almost like some kind of plastic. I've never seen another CRT with this little reflection. (A plus since glare drives me nuts)

4) Geometry --- I couldn't find any noticable issues in the short time I spent with it, although i'll admit I don't have the most keen eye for it. But still, I have noticed it at times on the Samsung slimfit, and also that the screen seems a bit more faded around the edges on the Samsung.....again, didn't notice any of these problems on the LG.

Overall I was pretty impressed. I may end up purchasing this tv. Want to see some reviews first though. Hopefully it doesn't have all the problems that the Samsung does. Still have my fingers crossed that BB is going to carry the Sony 34XBR970, but so far it doesn't look promising.
post #28 of 714 Old 03-08-2006, 05:54 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 101
can someone confirm the width of this tv-

thanks-

Panasonic 65" plasma*

Denon 4520* 

PSB T45* PSB B15* PSB C60*

Dual PSA XS30* Dual PSA XS15se*