The OFFICIAL Sony KD-34XBR970 34" HDTV Thread... - Page 108 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #3211 of 3297 Old 12-28-2009, 09:12 AM
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 22
A picture of my new home for my 970 below.

My tv survived the 1/2 mile trip, but my 360 didn't fare so well. It wont read any disc so off to the repair center it goes again. As you can see from the pic I still have a lot of boxes to unpack.

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3212 of 3297 Old 02-05-2010, 03:16 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anything new going on?
post #3213 of 3297 Old 02-19-2010, 11:08 AM

Guess not.
post #3214 of 3297 Old 02-19-2010, 07:48 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
they stopped making this tv 4 years ago

CRT is dead

not much going on

still an incredible picture though

when i walk through the electronics stores and see how much money people are paying for that LCD crap it amazes me

biggest hoax ever pulled on the consumers

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
Finding the acoustic sweet spot.
post #3215 of 3297 Old 03-24-2010, 07:42 PM

Call me crazy but I bought one of these on craigslist. Works great, looks amazing for PS3 games and Blu-rays. Still can't beat CRT for movies! Still going through the menus to fix everything. This thread has been a great read thanks guys.
post #3216 of 3297 Old 03-24-2010, 09:44 PM
otk
AVS Special Member

you could always get a 240hz LCD

now with "less blur"

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3217 of 3297 Old 05-08-2010, 07:18 AM
Advanced Member

Been a while guys. My set is on as we speak with a geometry pattern running on it. It's been a while and i have stayed out of the service menu, but after reading the past few posts in the xbr960 topic and seeing pictures ( think from the user summitHDTV or something) and about how he did the precision focus (kentechs) style i decided to give it a go. Well, except the part of drilling the whole in the set or taking the back off. I found where the focus pot is, but right when i was about to drill a whole i thought who am i kidding? i will drive myself mad trying to get the perfect focus and probably wont even know when it's the most even sharpness. So i skipped that park and just tried the regular Focus controls int he service menu and guess what? in was right. I noticed the focus getting blurrier as i tinkered, but it was next to near IMPOSSIBLE for me to even tell when it was the sharpest, especially with the patterns i used from kentech with the X's and whatnot. Even trying to use real world TV material was next to impossible. So if anyone is still alive who has a xbr970 i'd definitely leave that tweak alone and leave it to a professional with better trained eyes of what to look for. I just kept my defaults for that.

However it's been a few years and decided to check how my other setting were doing. Ended up tweaking of the Convergence settings a bit, got them much tighter than where they were at ( i tweaked them a few years ago, but they were off) I thought that would be all i would do, but now it's a week later and i find myself going back and fourth on the geometry, trying to get it better, which is kind of dumb on my part, cause now I'm just going to have to redo the convergence after getting the geometry re -done again :P But i decided for a clean fresh start, and pretty much knowing every setting nowadays for the settings i decided to go mid point on the geo settings and start over. I got really good results and should have kept them but I'm still going for a better look. I know about the pitfalls and how some lines are these sets are out of whack unless you place magnets on the back, but i'm really having problems with those damn VCEN and VPIN settings. Just when i think i get them as straight as i can , i put ona news ticker that scrolls and WHEEEEEEEEEE! loop d loop and dancing across the screen.It's annoying me.

Well back to tweaking! This set still has the worst geometry i have ever seen.

Oh also after re reading the sony service codes topic i decided to fine tune my sharpness.

I decided it's stupid to be afraid of the sharpness and not to just turn it to 0 ( especially on these sets) I even now have a little clear mode set, and put some of the MID5 settings on to enhance the picture. ( all done with test patterns so no ringing is present)

I have MHLY-3 and MHYE-3 and it really helps, When HBO was off the air a few nights ago i used there color bar pattern to redo my settings and noticed with those up i didn't see a line ringing when making the colors even, MHLY fixed that. Then again it does the opposite when using my xbox 360 with adjacent color bars so who knows. Also i set SYSM to 2 instead of 3.
color is now:
RYR-14
RYB-13
GYR-6
GYB-5

fixed GAMM too and SBRT. SBRT is now at 30, brightness 50.
GAMM-1
GAMS-3
GAMG3
GAMB-3
post #3218 of 3297 Old 05-08-2010, 07:38 AM
Advanced Member

LOL lucky for me i posted about 500 times in this topic and was able to find some of my old geo setting values. Found one that got me where i want to be, Horziontal lines are much better than where i had them at especially in regards to VCEN/VPIN. Now just a little tweaking to even things out and should be all good! Then back to D-conv.
post #3219 of 3297 Old 10-30-2010, 06:30 AM

Exactly that just happened to my 970. I read your thread, did what you said, and Voila, TV is back.
Thanks,
post #3220 of 3297 Old 10-30-2010, 06:39 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

for the hell of it the other day i took the cable from my DVR and plugged it directly into the tv and scanned for channels

i think it detected about 60 digital and 20 analog

so i started channel surfing and when i got up into the 80s i stumbled across on-demand channels. i could see what other people were watching. i could even see them fast forwarding and stuff like that

i have no idea where this was coming from but thought it was funny as hell

it was even picking up HBO on-demand. someone was watching Boardwalk Empire

i have comcast

♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫
post #3221 of 3297 Old 10-31-2010, 03:31 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck100 View Post

Anything new going on?

WoW, it's been almost a year since my last post and what a year it's been. Below are a couple updated pictures. Forget the pictures, I'll just give ya the video w/ pictures tour. I got the boxes unpacked and put new paint on the walls, wife didn't want me to paint the area behind the TV black so dark brown is what I got, it seems to do the job. I also threw out those little speakers, replaced them with 2 nice ones and I'm so glad I did. My XBR970 is still kicken, got the Elite360 back from repair center but with the fall of Reach this September I upgraded to the new 360s w/250hdd (awesome machine, whisper quiet!)

P.S. Wife and I will become Grandparents in Summer of 2011.

XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #3222 of 3297 Old 11-12-2010, 11:00 PM

Black Friday is coming up around and sadly, I am seriously thinking of letting my XBR970 go... how much is it going for these days on craigs?

Thx for any advice... :-(
post #3223 of 3297 Old 11-13-2010, 06:02 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by work4mike View Post
Black Friday is coming up around and sadly, I am seriously thinking of letting my XBR970 go

Quote:
how much is it going for these days on craigs?
prob. not as much as you would like to hear

Found two xbr models in my area 1st was @ $100.oo and 2nd for $350.oo, best of luck on finding a buyer these days. Most people have fell for the LCD, Plasma hype.

I have my XBR970 in my Man Cave and the picture is still awesome. Some day I'll upgrade I'm sure, I'm just not ready myself.

Sincerely,
hyghwayman

XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #3224 of 3297 Old 11-19-2010, 08:44 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Quote:

Black Friday is coming up around and sadly, I am seriously thinking of letting my XBR970 go... how much is it going for these days on craigs?

Thx for any advice... :-(

Believe me when I tell you that it's worth WAY more than what you'd get for it. I have absolutely no intentions of ever selling mine since the picture is amazing and I'd never get what I want for it back.
post #3225 of 3297 Old 12-05-2010, 10:44 AM

A few years ago when I looked for my first HDTV, I came across this site. After a lot of research into Plasma and LCD (no LED-LCD at the time), I found a great amount of enthusiasm for the Sony KD 34XBR970. At the time of my initial research, the technology in flat panel HDTVs was limited, and the Sony KD 34XBR970 reigned king of the HDTVs in the eyes of many.

My question is in regard of how the Sony KD 34XBR970 stands up too the technology of today? Is it still the King, or has it finally been usurped? I have been reading of the limited to zero input lag on CRTs, and I have renewed my interest in this TV. Thanks for the input in advance.
post #3226 of 3297 Old 12-05-2010, 09:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rmd68 View Post

A few years ago when I looked for my first HDTV, I came across this site. After a lot of research into Plasma and LCD (no LED-LCD at the time), I found a great amount of enthusiasm for the Sony KD 34XBR970. At the time of my initial research, the technology in flat panel HDTVs was limited, and the Sony KD 34XBR970 reigned king of the HDTVs in the eyes of many.

My question is in regard of how the Sony KD 34XBR970 stands up too the technology of today? Is it still the King, or has it finally been usurped? I have been reading of the limited to zero input lag on CRTs, and I have renewed my interest in this TV. Thanks for the input in advance.

I still have my 970. It sits in the back room hooked up to a top of the line Denon Blu-Ray player and a PS3. I have it connected to a high end analog stereo system, too. I just bought a 55" Sony NX810 LED-LCD panel for a formal room. It's beautiful. But that's when it's turned off. It's quite an impressive design.

I turned on the 970 after not using it for several months. I don't watch a lot of TV, mostly films on DVD. The 970's image is simply scrumptious.

The NX810 was delivered yesterday. It doesn't compare to the 970. Sure, it's nice and big. And after watching it for a while, you get used to the mediocre image. It's big and it immerses you. But you realize that we've been dumbed down with the new technology, just like with compressed music (MP3) and compressed images (digital cameras.) But we'll all get used to it over time. Without a CRT to compare, nobody will know what they're missing.

The only downside to the 970 is the weight and the screen size limitation. It's just too impossible (money, size and weight wise) to build big screen CRTs. But because it's so heavy, mine is still with me. I'm glad for that.

You'll be okay with a new LCD panel. You'll get used to it. Just don't stand 1-2 feet away or you'll be surprised at how horrible it really is in comparison to the 970. And at 10 feet away you'll still see that it has no true blacks. Oh, and be sure that you are facing perfectly perpendicular to the screen. Any off axis viewing makes it unwatchable. Lag isn't the issue, it's the overall picture quality. They cannot compare to a quality HD CRT.

But all that said, if you want big, then you have no choice. And if when 970 dies, then you have no choice. You'll have to settle for second best someday.
post #3227 of 3297 Old 12-08-2010, 10:00 AM

Got one for sale, works great. Listed in Chicago craigslist. I'm not allowed to post a URL, just search for KD34XBR970 on Chicago craigslist or PM me here.
post #3228 of 3297 Old 12-11-2010, 08:35 PM

Hi everyone. I'm Vince, and I just got my first HDTV, a 34XBR960 with matching stand. I have a question on the stand itself. Mine has what looks like two spots to mount the glass tray for the DVD player. The front supports are long, so my glass rests in the bottom position. My question: Is there an option to get a second glass so I can fill the upper slot, or is it a single tray at a time thing? Sure would be nice to have 2 shelves instead of one. Looks like in addition to the glass shelf itself, I would need the black bracket in the rear and something to support it up front?

Thank you!

Vince
post #3229 of 3297 Old 12-17-2010, 03:20 PM

Is there any certain way you have to push Display, 5, Vol+ and Power to get into the service menu? Seems not to work every way I've tried and the TV either won't power on or powers on without the service menu. I've tried Display,5 and Power and Display, 5, Vol+, Picture and Power as well.
post #3230 of 3297 Old 12-17-2010, 03:27 PM

make sure your pointing the remote towards the tv, then display,5, volume up then power button at a quick pace and one at a time.

A Ton Of Sony's!
post #3231 of 3297 Old 12-17-2010, 09:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by JRod7 View Post
Is there any certain way you have to push Display, 5, Vol+ and Power to get into the service menu? Seems not to work every way I've tried and the TV either won't power on or powers on without the service menu. I've tried Display,5 and Power and Display, 5, Vol+, Picture and Power as well.
Always write down the current settings BEFORE making adjustments and NEVER attempt a reset.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #3232 of 3297 Old 12-22-2010, 11:58 PM

Hey guys, just picked one up. how can you eliminate bowing, overscan, and slight blurriness in the lower left corner via the service menu? this thread is massive, and i can't find a service menu guide or something. thanks
post #3233 of 3297 Old 12-24-2010, 06:42 AM

Having a issue like CK100 did on page 105 of this post. My tv is over 4 years old and has worked great until the last few months when it starting getting blurry on the left side. It's hard to read any text on the left side of the tv, especially when looking at the tv guide menu. If anyone knows if or how CK100 got this fixed, please let me know.
Thanks in advance,
Gup
post #3234 of 3297 Old 02-09-2011, 11:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 122 Post(s)
Liked: 590
Help on weird issue on bottom. So I made some adjusments under MID1, and when the service menu is on my tv looks great, no problem at the bottom of the tv. The problem is basically the bottom 1/4 of an inch all the way across goes at a 45 degree or so angle, so a straight line down instead of pointing to six oclock points to 8 or so.

What I've discovered by running a grid image on my PS3 is that the problem isn't there on 480 but it is a problem on 720p and 1080i. So whatever the MID1 setting is doing is only changing 480.

How do I make adjustments to 720p and 1080i to get rid of the problem?
post #3235 of 3297 Old 02-10-2011, 05:42 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

......So I made some adjusments under MID1.....What I've discovered by running a grid image on my PS3 is that the problem isn't there on 480 but it is a problem on 720p and 1080i. So whatever the MID1 setting is doing is only changing 480.

How do I make adjustments to 720p and 1080i to get rid of the problem?

What settings were you adjusting and why?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #3236 of 3297 Old 02-10-2011, 08:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post
What settings were you adjusting and why?
I was changing these settings as I had too much overscan.

MID1/DHPH - horizontal position
MID1/DVPH - vertical position
MID1/MDHS - horizontal scale
MID1/MDVS - vertical scale
post #3237 of 3297 Old 02-10-2011, 07:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by freemeat View Post

I was changing these settings as I had too much overscan.

Does the problem go away when you return to the original settings? Have you already completed overscan adjustments in 2170D-1 & 2170D-2? What guide are you using for these adjustments?

post #3238 of 3297 Old 02-10-2011, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

Does the problem go away when you return to the original settings? Have you already completed overscan adjustments in 2170D-1 & 2170D-2? What guide are you using for these adjustments?

I haven't tried that. I don't know what those settings are you listed. Is there a guide somewhere in this thread that talks about all the service menu tweaks?

Clearly my problem is only in 720p and 1080i, not 480.

The guide I found online only showed those 4 settings in MID1, with no links to anything else.

http://www.robertwrose.com/2007/06/o...-34xbr970.html

Quote:

Overscan on the Sony KD-34XBR970
By gfm on June 9, 2007 3:45 PM | 1 Comment | No TrackBacks
My KD-34XBR970 shipped from the factory with a fair bit of overscan... about 10% of the picture on the left and right is cut off, and about 5% on the top and bottom. Sony customer care said they would be more than happy to fix it, but that requires moving a 200lb TV to a local TV repair shop...

You can address the overscan yourself by putting the TV into service mode and adjusting the display parameters. Obviously you can really screw up your TV good doing this, so beware..

To enter service mode turn the TV off then press DISPLAY, 5, VOLUME+, POWER. The current parameter group appears in the top-left and the current parameter appears below it. You can change parameters with 1 and 4, parameter groups with 2 and 5, and the parameter setting with 3 and 6. To save a parameter setting hit MUTING, then ENTER. You have to save each parameter setting individually. I would recommend you write down the default for your TV before you change anything! Here are some parameters I found useful for adjusting overscan:

post #3239 of 3297 Old 02-28-2011, 06:06 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 7 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Even though I'm having a problem with my 34XBR960.. I thought I would post in this thread.

I picked up a 34XBR960 off Craigslist and everything seemed fine but now I notice blurring on pretty much any source. Xbox, dvd player, etc with component, hdmi, or composite cables whenever someone or an object goes across the screen fast I see trails for a split second. I notice especially in the dark (when I do most of my viewing).

I don't remember this happening on my first 960. The first one's power supply died so I gave it away. Then bought a plasma. Wasn't thrilled with it and now have myself another 960 since it was obviously the best display I ever had (including my now Kuro). But I'm thinking the one I got is defective or just worn out. It didn't cost much.. mostly the hassle of moving.

So... this brings me to the 970 thread.

Right now someone has a 970 in my area claiming perfect condition for a couple hundred and before I check it out (this time will inspect better) I need to know how exactly it stacks up to the 960.

I've had the 960 for years and the reason I got it was due to the super fine pitch. I love sitting up close and seeing all the detail in Xbox 360 games and Blu-rays. From what I remember in the stores years ago... despite the 970 NOT having the super fine pitch, it still seemed sharper and better overall quality than the majority of panels made today.

So is it considered as sharp or sharper as most other CRTs in it's class? I'll be sitting 3-4 ft because I enjoy being immersed. Sitting this close never bothered me. I was always a foot from my 21" trinitron anyway.

Final question...

The other nitpicky thing I DID NOT LIKE about the 960 was the fact that it was almost too dark. I'm not talking about black levels, but rather no matter what settings I applied there always seemed like it had a filter and just seemed dark and dull. It was sharp and accurate as all hell, but just darker than I like. I've read that the 970 has a brighter, punchier picture by design and this intrigued me. Does this mean that the blacks aren't as good on the 970? Do they suffer to get that slightly punchier pic or what?

I enjoy deep hole blacks (tv vanishes on dark scene with lights out) and an overall accurate picture. Not sure if I want to gamble on another 960, but I may if my expectations are too high. The other one I considered was the 40XBR800. This is the 40" 4:3. I'm not sure how that compares to the 960/970 but it's a big picture. I'm thinking 4:3 sources may stretch too much and hinder quality but I dunno. Anyways, what do you guys think?

I appreciate all help!!
post #3240 of 3297 Old 03-04-2011, 06:57 PM

I have the KD-30XS955 and a GDM-FW900, both CRT's and both do the "trails" you describe. I'm pretty sure its just the phosphor not "going dark fast enough" kind of thing. It's just like that. Now, if that residule trail takes a shorter amount of time on non-SuperFinePitch tubes? Im not sure. But i doubt it.

The blurring issue you have im not sure. I've only owned one CRT HDTV so i really cant compare, but my XS955 isnt as sharp as say our Toshiba LCD. But from 4 feet away i really cant tell a difference, except in maybe the corners.

Thirdly, i hear you about the "darkness" of these set. One thing i really like about LCD's is they can get bright yet have good contrast. It may be the age of my set, but ive lost to some FPS online games because a character model was up against a dark wall, during the night and on my screen really couldn't see the details. But there's a lot of variables that I cant control (like how a video game cant really be a source to talk about for image references. )

The 40" 4:3 sets are even bigger monsters compared to the 30/34XBR's lol. I personally love the behemoth size of CRT's in general. They just seem "right' to me. On the topic of that 40XBR800, Ive read in a lot of places that it wasn't really the most reliable set in the world. BUT, otoh if its been working up until now, im pretty sure it wont give out anytime soon. And a 40" 4:3 screen can (i think) display a larger picture even when letterboxed compared to a 34XBR960.

960 vs 970. I don't know. If your 960 as you say is broken because of blurriness, i might jump on the 970. But if its just the "trails" that are bothering you, i don't think either the 40XBR800 or the XBR970 will be any different. Good luck!
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page