Forum Jump: 

post #3271 of 3295 Old 12-10-2013, 04:20 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

I'd start at 100 bucks since it's in great condition. Best to have the original remote though. Original stand is a huge bonus, of course it may be worth more than the TV to some folks to sit their flat panel on and they can probably move it no issue.

The area he's at is key. I'm in a big metro area so demand is decent.

Need to market it well. Last Sony CRT HDTV released in N. America. Widescreen, built-in HD tuner, HDMI, etc.

Target gamers if there's an ad section for that as they love these sets.

Just don't put the weight or size in the ad. :-)

DirecTV since 1999
Sony 34" HD KD34XBR970

Seiki 40"
Vulkano Flow
R22 DVR
HR20-700 HD DVR
Waco/Temple/Bryan DMA

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3272 of 3295 Old 12-11-2013, 08:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 32
Quote:
Originally Posted by Bob Coxner View Post

Just don't put the weight or size in the ad. :-)

Haha, indeed! Unfortunately one should disclose it or fools will show up with no help or just change their minds, who wants to waste their time with that?

Which brings up another 'marketing' point I forgot to add - if you can help load the beast then say it in the ad. I've passed on a few deals because I have no one in my neighborhood to go with me. One lady was practically offering to give me a nice Loewe after starting at a mere $50.

post #3273 of 3295 Old 12-11-2013, 10:38 AM

Liked: 12
Trust me you can sell it. I bought one from ebay for 40 beans to replace my broken Samsung PN60E7000 plasma. My daughter killed the screen with the blu ray remote. If you have kids that love to break your dreams, I suggest buying one of these battle tested tanks cause no remote can break these. Someone will buy it, maybe not for as much as 100 but someone in the same situation as me that wants superior PQ and the strength of armor to protect against flying objects. I agree keep this thread alive!!!!
post #3274 of 3295 Old 12-11-2013, 02:36 PM

Liked: 35
Yeah, I am not expecting to sell this set for more than $100. As I mentioned, the set was well cared for (pro mode and half contrast), and it is in great condition (no scratches, dents, and such). I also have the remote and the manual. Granted, I am not against the idea of giving it away if I can not sell it.

As some of you mentioned, this set is excellent for video games (low input lag) and DVDs, and it works well with HD. The picture holds up well to my Sony XBR960 crt and Panasonic ZT60 plasma. If I had space, I would keep it.

Thank you for your input. smile.gif
post #3275 of 3295 Old 12-13-2013, 03:20 PM

A couple of weeks ago I began to notice that the first 4-5 inches of the left hand side of the screen of my KD-34XBR970 are out of focus. This goes the full height of the screen. There is some slight image doubling and some color separation / rainbow effect.
This occurs regardless of the input. I'm using an antenna for over the air broadcast, Netflix through Apple TV and a DVD player.
I've really enjoyed the TV and would like to keep it alive if possible. Does anyone have any ideas on what the problem is or how to fix it?
Any information or suggestions will be appreciated.
Thanks
post #3276 of 3295 Old 01-30-2014, 01:44 PM

i dont know if you guys still see this page but the "p" you are referring to is "PTSP"

and you post is very helpful-thanks!

post #3277 of 3295 Old 01-30-2014, 08:54 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
? PTSP
Quote:
Originally Posted by mrdibbs1208 View Post

i dont know if you guys still see this page but the "p" you are referring to is "PTSP"
and you post is very helpful-thanks!

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #3278 of 3295 Old 01-31-2014, 08:25 AM
AVS Special Member

I've been noticing several 'New Members' posting unusual posts and then disappearing, been a few months now. One of 'em deleted his post when I replied with a confused.gif , leaving my post hanging there to make me look like an idiot. I did a 'Search This Thread' for "ptsp" and the last post before here was 5 years ago. rolleyes.gif We'll see.

post #3279 of 3295 Old 01-31-2014, 09:45 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 244
I've been here since 2002. If that's the "worst" that happens... that's good.
PTSP is probably Post Traumatic Stress Posting.
post #3280 of 3295 Old 01-31-2014, 11:04 AM

Liked: 14
http://www.acronymfinder.com/PTSP.html
post #3281 of 3295 Old 01-31-2014, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I think I currently have Ratman's version as I recently took a Zyrtec. I'm not crazy about the weird affect they have on me but I need to go rake some leaves in the land of cedar [juniper] fever.

I like that one in 'Snake's link titled "Post To See Posts (forums)."

post #3282 of 3295 Old 04-03-2014, 05:07 PM

I'm new to this forum.  Hope I'm posting this to the Sony KD-34XBR970 34” FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® HDTV as I should be ...

BACKGROUND:   I purchased my Sony KD-34XBR970 34” FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® HDTV (a CRT based model) on 11/14/06.  As this was my first HDTV, I was literally amazed by the picture quality and the color.  

PROBLEM:  Fast forward eight years later to February, 2014.  The picture quality deteriorated.  Color flares were evident for plum-purple, lime green and lemon yellow.  I called a HDTV Repair Service and, from my description of the problem, they said it sounded as if the picture tube was failing.

ATTEMPTS TO RESOLVE THE PROBLEM:   I tried to trouble-shoot the problem by what I read in the Sony Owners Manual and information from Sony’s website.

I disconnected the HDTV from the electrical outlet for 30 minutes.  I removed stereo speakers from the room where the HDTV is located.  I restored the HDTV Factory Settings from instructions in the manual.  I restored the HDTV Picture Settings from instructions in the manual.  I changed the HDTV Picture Settings to see if this would make a difference.  I searched the Internet for solutions.  I changed the HDTV from 480i to 480p to 720p to 1080i.  None of what I tried corrected the color flare and picture quality problem.  I also called SONY and they had no suggestions on how to correct the problem.

THE MIRACLE HAPPENS:   In late May of 2014, after I ordered a new HDTV, I turned on my Sony KD-34XBR970 34” FD Trinitron® WEGA® XBR® HDTV.  The COLOR FLARE problem was gone.  The PICTURE QUALITY was sharp and clear like the day the HDTV first arrived.  What happened?  If the picture tube was going bad I don’t understand how, all of a sudden, the HDTV problems disappeared.

I’ve subscribed to DISH Network from the day I purchased this HDTV.  It was almost as if DISH Network had flipped a switch and now the color flare and picture quality problems were gone.  But I don’t understand how DISH Network could have caused the color flare problem.  DISH Network may have had a role in the picture quality but I don’t know.

Has anyone else had this problem?  I’d appreciate knowing what you think caused the color flare and picture quality problem.

Thanks in advance for your replies.

Jim

P.S.  Here's are some examples of what I mean by "color flare."  When watching The Cleveland Show, between his eyes . . . on the bridge of the nose on Cleveland's brown face was the color plum-purple, not brown as it was supposed to be.   Another example . . . when watching the Olympics or MSNBC, depending on the color background, the person's face would have the color plum-purple.  The color plum-purple would be displayed on the person's forehead and sometimes the legs.  The color flare could be anywhere from 1/4 inch wide to 1/2 inch long, and sometimes 1/2 inch wide to 1/2 inch long.  Another example . . . when watching American Dad or Family Guy, faces would be outlined with the color lime-green or lemon-yellow when the outline for the face should have been flesh tone like the rest of the face.

Wish I had taken a photo of the problem but unfortunately I didn't.  Hope my explanation of "color flare" helps.  Thanks.

post #3283 of 3295 Old 04-03-2014, 10:23 PM

can i use a xbr960 service data chart with a xbr970?? if not does anybody know where i can find a service data manual and/or data sheet for a kd-34xbr970?? please i need help badly. my tv is in need of adjustment badly

post #3284 of 3295 Old 05-07-2014, 06:30 AM

I drove by a house with one of these sitting on the tree lawn. drove by the next day and it was still there! most tvs get picked up the same day they hit the tree lawn..lol. well i decided to stop and look at it since it looked in very good condition. i know why it was left, it must weigh 250 pounds! someone cut the power cord off as well, prob out of frustration..lol. well, i got a friend to help lift it. ( really needed 3 adults ).  crap! HEAVY!!! put a new cord on it and turned it on, dead..... but had blinking red lights only. then i recall it rained the day before so it was out in rain..:( figured it was a no go. well i let it sit over night with the cover off. turned it on the next day and.....BEST PICTURE I HAVE EVER SEEN ON A TUBE TV!...SCORE! what a find. 2006 tv looks great!! i ordered a remote off ebay. $7. we will see how long it will last..:)

post #3285 of 3295 Old 05-07-2014, 07:59 AM

Liked: 14
I love stories like that, what model did you find?
post #3286 of 3295 Old 05-07-2014, 09:46 AM
AVS Special Member

Congrats! That is unusual, folks typically cut the cord when stuff quits I guess as a sign to others and/or if they're worried it's an electrical hazard. Might have scavenged the cord though. I found the top/motor of a shop vac that way but it works fine and I used it to replace mine that fried; I suspect they didn't use the proper wet filter or the like and it started sparking...

Just got a Vizio soundbar with wireless subwoofer from my neighbor, it quit on them after a power outage. Wish me luck. If nothing else I can rig up wiring directly to the speakers to use an external amp (no external amp connectors on it).

post #3287 of 3295 Old 05-07-2014, 02:37 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 83 Post(s)
Liked: 244
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post

I guess as a sign to others and/or if they're worried it's an electrical hazard. Might have scavenged the cord though.

I'd say there's a 99.9% chance a "picker" came around did a quick snip for scrap copper.
post #3288 of 3295 Old 05-07-2014, 04:44 PM
AVS Special Member

Yep. If it was a working set I'm surprised the tree lawners didn't put a sign on it or place a 'free' ad on Craigslist. Any chance Mother Nature's rinse&solar-dry could have fixed it? smile.gif

post #3289 of 3295 Old 05-08-2014, 07:48 AM

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 19
Quote:
Originally Posted by relic1 View Post

I drove by a house with one of these sitting on the tree lawn. drove by the next day and it was still there! most tvs get picked up the same day they hit the tree lawn..lol. well i decided to stop and look at it since it looked in very good condition. i know why it was left, it must weigh 250 pounds! someone cut the power cord off as well, prob out of frustration..lol. well, i got a friend to help lift it. ( really needed 3 adults ).  crap! HEAVY!!! put a new cord on it and turned it on, dead..... but had blinking red lights only. then i recall it rained the day before so it was out in rain..frown.gif figured it was a no go. well i let it sit over night with the cover off. turned it on the next day and.....BEST PICTURE I HAVE EVER SEEN ON A TUBE TV!...SCORE! what a find. 2006 tv looks great!! i ordered a remote off ebay. $7. we will see how long it will last..smile.gif
That is a funny story.

The failure to turn on may have been caused by the rain but it may have been caused by a failed MCZ3001D chip which makes the set intermittently fail to turn on sometimes before dying completely. If it fails to turn on again, see these links

http://www.avsforum.com/t/1366567/sony-trinitron-wega-rlod-twenty-dollar-repair-guide/
http://www.avsforum.com/t/928945/you-have-a-sony-that-wont-power-on-and-the-standby-light-blinks-help-and-suggesti/

These Sonys were often sent out from the factory very badly set up with severe overscan and severe "red push". It is possible to fix these problems in the service menu but respect that a mistake in editing the service menu can brick your television so great caution must be shown while using it. Don't "reset" everything.
http://www.avsforum.com/t/531494/the-sony-service-codes-articles-comments-discoveries/
post #3290 of 3295 Old 05-29-2014, 06:49 PM

I need help with my tv. I press the power button and it makes the noise it usually makes but the screen doesn't come on. But it does come on once every 2 days or so. The stand by red light next to the power button just flashes. Then when I turn it off it turns off too. I'm thinking there is a setting or something that is only letting the screen come on at a certain time every couple days. My parents had it for like 10 years and I recently started using it. So if anyone knows how to help let me know.
Thanks.
post #3291 of 3295 Old 05-30-2014, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mishiwa View Post

I need help with my tv. I press the power button and it makes the noise it usually makes but the screen doesn't come on. But it does come on once every 2 days or so. The stand by red light next to the power button just flashes. Then when I turn it off it turns off too. I'm thinking there is a setting or something that is only letting the screen come on at a certain time every couple days. My parents had it for like 10 years and I recently started using it. So if anyone knows how to help let me know.
Thanks.

Sounds like the chip problem some Sonys are notorious for, like mentioned in the homerging post right above your post. Count how many blinks the standby light flashes in sequence before pausing and starting a new blink sequence, this indicates the type of problem. There are entire threads on AVS devoted to each type of the most common problems. Note homerging posted a pair of thread links, you may want to copy&paste your post over there including the 'number of blinks' info; also state what model TV you have (I'm assuming it's a 970 since you posted here).

post #3292 of 3295 Old 07-11-2014, 03:15 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Hello, everyone. I recently bought a 970 from a friend. He is a videophile who takes very good care of his electronics, but the right-edge of the screen has a slight discoloration that appears different colors depending on the background. A red background, for example, yields a purplish discoloration. I can upload a photo if necessary, but do any of you think you can help me out?
post #3293 of 3295 Old 07-15-2014, 02:01 PM

WOW, What a nostalgic old thread!

Survivor Sony WEGA XBR CRT: KDX34XBR970, circa July 2014.
Just dug out my old paperwork:
Circuit City $549 New Delivered, Purchased Mar/Apr 2007 (3 Yrs 0% Financing);
Bush Segments TV Stand, Cherry Wood Finish/Tempered Glass Stand $199 (rated to hold 400 lbs+);
5Year Extended Warranty direct from Sony com $89 (never needed/used it).
Attached Images
File Type: jpg Survivor July 2014.jpg (529.7 KB, 10 views)
post #3294 of 3295 Old 07-17-2014, 12:36 PM

Liked: 0
I have a technician looking at the set right now. He is in the service menu, making adjustments. We have encountered a problem. He connected his Leader LCG-397 pattern generator to display a cross-hatch pattern, and now the TV seems locked on the pattern. Even when the generator is turned off and disconnected, the set is still stuck. When we power down the TV and power it back up, we see snow for a few moments before it returns to displaying this cross-hatch pattern. We have done everything to get out of this. Any help?

EDIT: I am going to make a thread for this. I hope I do not have to junk this awesome TV.

Last edited by Windfish; 07-17-2014 at 12:59 PM. Reason: typing errors
post #3295 of 3295 Old 07-17-2014, 12:48 PM

Quoted: 14 Post(s)
Liked: 33
Quote:
Originally Posted by XavierL13 View Post
WOW, What a nostalgic old thread!

Survivor Sony WEGA XBR CRT: KDX34XBR970, circa July 2014.
Just dug out my old paperwork:
Circuit City $549 New Delivered, Purchased Mar/Apr 2007 (3 Yrs 0% Financing);
Bush Segments TV Stand, Cherry Wood Finish/Tempered Glass Stand $199 (rated to hold 400 lbs+);
5Year Extended Warranty direct from Sony com $89 (never needed/used it).
That was the last price set when everyone was buying flat screens. I bought mine there-same price, then two days later went into BB to see one-open box set at $800.00! And it had cosmetic damage to the cabinet. Big, heavy, but what a picture! I had both the model under and this-kept the 970.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page