The OFFICIAL Sony KD-34XBR970 34" HDTV Thread... - Page 111 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 2Likes
post #3301 of 3309 Old 01-16-2015, 02:18 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Follow up on screen problem

I haven't looked at this thread for a long time so I'm posting a follow up to my post on 12-13-13 when I had the problem with the screen on my KD-34XBR970.
My problem went away and has never come back. I only did two things.
1) I played with the tilt correction and vertical correction (page 46 of the manual) which apparently sometimes needs attention after moving the TV.
2) I unplugged the TV and let it sit for a day before plugging it back in and turning it on.
I had been moving the TV around before the problem started but I can't say for sure what caused the problem or why it went away.
All I know is that it's cured.
Kevin
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #3302 of 3309 Old 01-23-2015, 04:29 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Another issue, the red light that usually blinks only when it is turning on, is now blinking all the time -- even when it is off. 5 blinks --- did some searching and it sounds like its the classic power supply problem.
post #3303 of 3309 Old 04-18-2015, 10:27 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
Further weird geometry problems

Hey all-- as anyone who buys one of these ends up, I've become very well-versed in the workings and service menu codes for the KD-34 over the last few months as I've attempted to correct the geometry and make everything scroll smoothly. I've hit a brick wall with something that looks like this:

|( )||||( )|
|( )||||( )|
|( )||||( )/

Any guesses as to what service menu options might help me mush down the bumps on either side of the screen? SLIN sort of fixes it, but I've maxed it out at zero and can't go any further. It seems like I need something like a left-right equivalent of UVLN and LVLN (or whatever the upper/lower squishers are), The weird pin in the bottom right I can deal with; the bumps are too much for me, especially playing old side-scrolling video games. Any insight is appreciated.
post #3304 of 3309 Old 07-20-2015, 01:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Early this month, I finally got to move upstairs to the top floor of my apartment building to a much larger layout. Overlooking lovely Downtown Maynard MA. Very nice! So I finally got to setup my dormant...and in waiting KD-34XBR970 on the new matching SU 36 stand in the living room. It was an immediate and noticeable PQ upgrade over the 40" LG LCD/LED I had downstairs. Angled out between adjacent walls It looks cosmetically great. And more like a real TV IMO. The setup surprisingly does not take up very much room at all...as the LR is pretty spacious. I cut the cable cord. And went with Roku/Slingtv/Digital over air broadcasts/Amazon Prime. I couldn't be happier. And ditto for my wallet. After the upfront equipment costs (heavily discounted with signup deals) I'm saving over $100 per month. And native PQ up to pure 1080i is much better than the heavily compressed cable video.

At some point I will add a 1080p BenQ 1085ST to the mix for HDDVD. Blu Ray, DVD movies only. I'll throw the Pic on the neutral beige wall...and store the projector away when not in use. As my XBR 970 will be my HDTV workhorse until it or I die! I simply love the picture this HDTV presents. It is unmatched by anything out there that I have seen. Sure...I've seen sharper images in new tech. But the XBR 970 "Fatboy" has them all beat in all other areas (especially blacks & shadow detail). While being just fine on sharpness IMO.

Which leads me to this bold statement. The Boldest thing Sony could do IMO would be to really refine and relaunch CRT as a niche High end (mid display size) tech IMO. While focusing on projectors (including Laser CRT) for big screen differentiation. Go with the newer light weight direct view tech that was market ready. And throw options out there ranging from 32"-42"...clocking in at no more than 100lbs. And it can be done with todays technology and materials. Make them all capable of scaling resolutions natively from 480i/p-4k x 2k/p. Price them at $1500-$$3000 based on features like HDR & etc. Place them at better retail or sell direct. Sit back...and watch every production run sell out. Before other manufacturers get the CRT religion again. And jump back in. This unbelievably beautiful technology (CRT) could be revived profitably for a few IMO.
Floydage likes this.

Last edited by barrelbelly; 07-20-2015 at 01:54 PM.
post #3305 of 3309 Old 07-21-2015, 07:03 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
...As my XBR 970 will be my HDTV workhorse until it or I die! I simply love the picture this HDTV presents. It is unmatched by anything out there that I have seen. Sure...I've seen sharper images in new tech. But the XBR 970 "Fatboy" has them all beat in all other areas (especially blacks & shadow detail). While being just fine on sharpness IMO...

That's a good way to characterize it. Sharpness is ok to adequate with Blu-ray on the 970, IMO. 5 years ago I would have used stronger terms to describe sharpness with Blu-ray on the 970, but now, after seeing the new 4K panels displaying native 4K feeds - in terms of sharpness, the good old 970 is showing its age. It's no longer competitive with sharpness, but good enough.

However, considering most of the other parameters that make up the displayed image: the far superior color gamut, black levels, gray scale and perfect motion being the most noticeable aspects to me, I couldn't agree more, still, in the year 2015, the 970 still puts all LCD/LED panels to shame when it comes to summing up all aspects of picture quality.
barrelbelly likes this.

HT:
Speakers L/R - Infinity Prelude Compositions
Center - Infinity Prelude Compositions Center
Rears - Infinity Overture 1s
AVRs - NAD T773s
TVs - Sony 34XBR960/970
post #3306 of 3309 Old 07-21-2015, 07:10 AM

Quoted: 30 Post(s)
Liked: 29
Quote:
Originally Posted by barrelbelly View Post
...So I finally got to setup my dormant...and in waiting KD-34XBR970 on the new matching SU 36 stand in the living room. It was an immediate and noticeable PQ upgrade over the 40" LG LCD/LED I had downstairs. Angled out between adjacent walls It looks cosmetically great. And more like a real TV IMO...

Care to post a pic? I'm sure that looks pretty cool.

nx211

HT:
Speakers L/R - Infinity Prelude Compositions
Center - Infinity Prelude Compositions Center
Rears - Infinity Overture 1s
AVRs - NAD T773s
TVs - Sony 34XBR960/970
post #3307 of 3309 Old 07-21-2015, 06:21 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 176 Post(s)
Liked: 292
Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 View Post
Care to post a pic? I'm sure that looks pretty cool.

nx211
I sure will. I'll get around to it over the weekend. So stay tuned.
post #3308 of 3309 Unread Today, 12:57 PM

TV Stand Replacement

Hi AVS Friends,

I haven't participated here much since the days of BD vs. HDDVD but still passively benefited from the wealth of knowledge stored here on my subsequent home theater builds. I'm reviving this thread now and calling upon fellow XBR970 owners' insights on where I might find a replacement TV stand for this unit.

My family recently moved this past weekend and the moving company completely destroyed the TV stand (picture included). I was using the Bush Furniture VS47136 (as suggested in a separate AVS thread "Whats a good stand for the KD34XBR970?"). This stand was not designed specifically for the 970, but it did the job just fine and was a nice color match too. Thankfully this was the only thing damaged from the move, and the display itself is perfectly fine. The moving company has offered to replace the stand, or comparable, but the problem of course is finding something that can support the 200+ lbs. this TV is packing.

My searches have turned up fairly empty, so I look forward to seeing what other options might be available that I haven't been exposed to yet.

Thanks!

mcktofu
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Broken TV Stand.jpg
Views:	1
Size:	159.8 KB
ID:	923466  
post #3309 of 3309 Unread Today, 01:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcktofu View Post
Hi AVS Friends,

I haven't participated here much since the days of BD vs. HDDVD but still passively benefited from the wealth of knowledge stored here on my subsequent home theater builds. I'm reviving this thread now and calling upon fellow XBR970 owners' insights on where I might find a replacement TV stand for this unit.

My family recently moved this past weekend and the moving company completely destroyed the TV stand (picture included). I was using the Bush Furniture VS47136 (as suggested in a separate AVS thread "Whats a good stand for the KD34XBR970?"). This stand was not designed specifically for the 970, but it did the job just fine and was a nice color match too. Thankfully this was the only thing damaged from the move, and the display itself is perfectly fine. The moving company has offered to replace the stand, or comparable, but the problem of course is finding something that can support the 200+ lbs. this TV is packing.

My searches have turned up fairly empty, so I look forward to seeing what other options might be available that I haven't been exposed to yet.

Thanks!

mcktofu
Few more things to add:

- Unfortunately, the stand is not repairable. The structural integrity is completely compromised with many of the brackets and screws that held the pieces of particle board together off-center and/or caused the board piece to splinter off at those points.

- The manufacture, Bush Furniture, no longer carries this item or any replacement parts for this stand.

- If you live in the greater Los Angeles metropolitan area and have a stand for sell, let me know. In a similar thought, feel free to pass me any classified posts (craigslist, penny saver, etc.) you find that might also fit this need.

Thanks, again!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page