ilo 32inch digital tv at walmart $268!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 04-08-2006, 09:39 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
hey peeps its been about 2 weeks since i have had my ilo 27inch digital tv..

well i was in walmart today and i noticed they had a 32inch model of this tv for sale priced at $268...

when i first seen the new 32inch model i said there is no way that set is $268 and sure enough it is..and that is not a sale price either!!

the specs are the same as the ilo 27incher..

component in
s-video in
2 rca jacks
ATSC/QAM tuner

this sucks that i already bought a 27 incher...

i checked walmart.com and there is still no sign of the value priced tv's on their site as of *YET*

this is just a heads up..check the local store and see for yourself!!!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 04-09-2006, 03:37 AM
AVS Special Member

It's $268 because you get what you paid for, they're not doing you a favor.
post #3 of 23 Old 04-09-2006, 01:22 PM - Thread Starter

maybe just maybe i am the only one that knows the price of Standard sets have come down in price...
post #4 of 23 Old 04-09-2006, 01:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Is it HD, or is the signal downconverted to SDTV?

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #5 of 23 Old 04-09-2006, 02:37 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
This TV is made by Funai, maker of Emerson, Sylvania, and Symphonic products. It says "Manufactured by Funai" on the box outside. This is a SDTV. The 27" version is made by Orion.
post #6 of 23 Old 04-09-2006, 03:42 PM

I think I'll pass on this one myself then. Thanks for the info tho!
post #7 of 23 Old 04-09-2006, 08:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Don't want to be dumb or anything but why would you want a "Regular" TV with an HDTV Tuner in it?

I know the Gov. has mandated them but I really can't see any use for them & in a couple of years you will be able to buy HDTV's pretty cheap & if in the future you need a Digital Tuner for an Analog TV I'm sure your Cable or Sat company will offer them or you'll be able to buy a cheap stand alone box at Wal-Mart for $29.99
post #8 of 23 Old 05-31-2006, 11:42 PM

Is this thread discussing the current 32" iLo listed on walmart's site?

the model -- ilo 32" HDTV w/ Built-In ATSC Tuner, IWT3206

if so, can you explain why this is listed as "HDTV" and described as displaying 1080i resolution if the signal is being down-converted to SD? Does this mean that I would not truly be getting HDTV with this set?

Aside from the fact that from the pictures it appears to not be a flat tube, and it seems to skimp on inputs, I thought I might give this set a shot (yes, I am cheap).

I'm having a hard time finding a 32" HDTV. I like the 30" wide screens but I suspect that a lot of my viewing will be in 4:3 and would prefer the larger viewable area of the 32".
post #9 of 23 Old 06-01-2006, 06:12 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
It's not an HD set!!! As it was already mentioned it's an SD set.

Quote:

Don't want to be dumb or anything but why would you want a "Regular" TV with an HDTV Tuner in it?

So you don't need some outside box. It's not an HDTV tuner, it's an ATSC tuner. At this point a "regular" TV has the tuner built it - whether you want it or not.
post #10 of 23 Old 06-01-2006, 09:59 AM

I saw the original post that you quoted, but I was just confused as to how they can list the tv as "HDTV" on their website. The product description itself calls it "HDTV with 1080i resolution". So is that just a direct lie on Walmart's part?
post #11 of 23 Old 06-01-2006, 11:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 28 Post(s)
Liked: 16
Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisomy View Post

I saw the original post that you quoted, but I was just confused as to how they can list the tv as "HDTV" on their website. The product description itself calls it "HDTV with 1080i resolution". So is that just a direct lie on Walmart's part?

I wouldn't call it a lie. Just a misprint.

Happens all the time on websites whether it is Walmart's/Circuit City's/Best Buy's/Sears/Etc...

I have yet to see the tv, but at that price I would "highly doubt" it has the capabilities of displaying a 1080i HD picture. Probably a SD 480i, which is all that is required for a "digital tv" to display.

People sometimes get confused on what a digital tv is actually supposed to be.

All that is required for a tv to be digital is:

1. Have a built in ATSC(Over the Air) tuner to receive broadcasts from a digital station via a connected antenna(Clear QAM for cable is, actually a luxury item in a tv's tuner capability right now. It will probably become the norm eventually, but manufacturers are not "required" to have Clear QAM tuner added to the already installed ATSC tuner)

2. And display that picture at 480i(SDTV)

That is it.

You want an ED picture tube(480p) or, most likely, a HD picture tube(1080i display) than you will have to pay extra for it.

Think of it like a car.

You can get a standard vehicle for a good cheap price.

Start adding on Moonroofs/better stereo/Power evverything/etc... and the price goes up for those "luxuries", if you will.

Viewing HD on a capable set is a luxury most are willing to pay for, but it is not the bottom line standard.

SD(480i tubes with ATSC tuners) are and will be, until they cease to exist and either LCD and/or plasma's become the norm.
post #12 of 23 Old 09-19-2006, 10:43 AM

I seen this ad on line at wal mart....I just want a 32in tv that shows a decent picture below $300..does anyone know if this shows decent pic,,quality,and is it a flat screen or almost
post #13 of 23 Old 09-19-2006, 06:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 80 Post(s)
Liked: 47
Assuming you're physically able, just go to the nearest Wally's (if there's one in your area) and have a look in person. That's the only way to know for sure.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
post #14 of 23 Old 10-11-2006, 05:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

It is a curved tube SDTV. You can see the curvature of the tube in the picture at the W-M web site.

This is a great buy for people who just want a basic TV and don't subscribe cable or satellite, but want a ghost-free picture.
post #15 of 23 Old 10-22-2006, 09:40 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Does it letterbox?
post #16 of 23 Old 10-23-2006, 10:57 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Yes. It does letterbox, if that's what you want. It was letterboxing 16:9 programming at our local W-M.
post #17 of 23 Old 10-23-2006, 11:07 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Trisomy View Post

This error on Walmart's web site has been corrected. LINK.
post #18 of 23 Old 12-31-2006, 11:43 AM

I just saw the
ilo 32" SDTV w/ Built-In Digital ATSC Tuner
Listed on the walmart website for 276.00 It looks good for that price but just last year I bought a RCA 27' HDTV and just after the year warranty wore out the power box or whatever went out. They repaired that for another $100 and then they said also it looks like the tube has gone out which they say is usually 3x the cost of the TV... When we bought the HDTV we got an amazing deal cause (we didn't notice at the time) but they charged us the price of the SDTV instead. So now we are looking at spending another $400 for another HDTV or just getting a plain TV...

We don't have cable so we use regular old antenna to get TV. We rent a ton of movies through Netflix though and most of there movies are still regular with a few now popping up with the option of getting it in HD mode or whatever.

I am sure that with in the next 5 years or so everything will be HD and we will want to get a HD TV cause its a REAL big difference between the HDTV and the SDTV. So we are looking for a TV that will at least last that long so we can not torture ourselves with our old TV that's like 18' or something (I am SO tired of squinting to watch TV, since our 27' went out. LOL)

So my question is..... Is the ilo 32" SDTV w/ Built-In Digital ATSC Tuner a good tv to get.. will it last or is it a pos? Is there a better brand we should get? Does anyone have any advice? I don't want to throw away another $300 for a TV that only lasts a year. That REALLY pissed me off.

I would really appreciate any advice thanks so much!
Shannon
post #19 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bill1313 View Post

I know the Gov. has mandated them but I really can't see any use for them & in a couple of years you will be able to buy HDTV's pretty cheap & if in the future you need a Digital Tuner for an Analog TV I'm sure your Cable or Sat company will offer them or you'll be able to buy a cheap stand alone box at Wal-Mart for $29.99

I may be wrong , but I think all the new Standard Definition sets larger than 13" are required to come with Digital Tuners ( not HDTV tuners ) ?

Wyr
post #20 of 23 Old 01-10-2007, 12:13 PM
AVS Special Member

I always thought that an ATSC Tuner is an HDTV Digital Tuner that receives HD Channels & it's just that an SDTV set itself can't display an HD Picture but it is receiving HDTV Channels.

As for this years models the mandate I think is that an ATSC Tuner is only required in sets 27 inches & up because none of the 13, 14, 19, 20 & 24 inch models have ATSC Tuners.
post #21 of 23 Old 06-16-2007, 07:11 PM

I bought this IWT3206 television and noticed that it does not seem to have a degauss function...

I already need it because I left the Wii's power brick next to the TV - and the manual says in the troubleshooting guide:

SYMPTOM
Different color marks on screen

REMEDY
  • Move the TV apart from electric appliances nearby. Turn off the power and wait for about 30 minutes, then turn it on again.
  • Try to view other channels. It may be the problem on the broadcasting station.

Should I just take this thing back? I'm worried that any TV without a degauss function will just naturally die a lot faster...

Husband to a lovely Latina and father of 3 little girls and a bouncing baby boy. We enjoy playing the Wii (and Virtual Console and GameCube games on it) and MAME.
post #22 of 23 Old 06-17-2007, 08:16 AM
Advanced Member

Try unplugging the unit for 30-60 minutes, then turning it back on.

No degaussing function? Are you sure? Sounds like a terrible idea, but maybe the manufacturer saved a few bucks by leaving that out. You have to be really careful buying CRT TV's these days. The quality is terrible.

If you did take it back, what would you replace it with? Probably anything would be better-built than an ILO, but not by much. See if you can find a Sony 27" w/digital tuner. That's what I would suggest FWIW.
post #23 of 23 Old 05-04-2008, 11:00 PM

I want to try to reach "Askew". He has a forun re: the iol 32" which I think is SDTV and the hdtv was on the box. And the tv my husband watches TV alot because he is had a stroke and is patalyzed. Yesterday, his TV started with a wide screen and we can't get if off. When he has a widescreen movie in then that's ok, but we can get it back to full screen just for normal flipping channels. All the characters on TV are real squinty.

Is there someone that can help me? It seems like there should be a simple solution to do But I can't get it ....I hope I hear from you. Thank you.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays