The OFFICIAL Samsung TXS-3082W thread - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 480 Old 05-29-2006, 11:21 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can i borrow someones avia disk? I'll promise to return it as soon as i receive it. Email me at gatsbyvalentino at yahoo
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 480 Old 05-30-2006, 02:46 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by jehnubis View Post

Can i borrow someones avia disk? I'll promise to return it as soon as i receive it. Email me at gatsbyvalentino at yahoo

If you have Netflix you can rent it from there, or check and see if a local video rental store has it.
post #93 of 480 Old 06-12-2006, 09:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by killbot1000 View Post

I know this sounds retarded, but i bought this TV, it had bowing issues, and whatnot, but i fixed it right up in the service menu no problem, and let me tell you, it looks amazing playing suikoden II hehehe, Im playing other games too, i just thought id mention this one cuz its hella old heheh.

Killbot,

Do you happen to remember which values you changed in the deflection menu to get rid of the bowing. I am still having some slight problems with it. Thanks alot.
post #94 of 480 Old 06-13-2006, 09:41 AM

i have this set from the bb xbox360 bundle, and i downloaded the service manual (20050708154431015_S62A-aadj-3.pdf to be exact).

are the values listed the ones they set at the factory for all sets, i.e. this is what my set come to me set to? thanks

my geometry is great, so i can post my settings, if anyone wants, but some of the color issues need to be adressed.
post #95 of 480 Old 06-13-2006, 05:12 PM

Orntar,

I also picked up the combo from bb, would it be possible to take a look at your deflection settings to see maybe where mine is different. Also do you have it set up to an HD cable box or regular cable. Thanks.
post #96 of 480 Old 06-13-2006, 10:17 PM

ok, here is what i currently have, i didnt change all of these, i just wrote them down...

VAMP 39
VSHIFT 27
HAMP 18
HSHIFT 34
V LIN 7
UP_LIN 4
LOW_LIN 0
V SC 3
HPAR 40
UP_COR 38
L_COR 37
H TRA 29
BOW 31
ANGLE 27
V POSITION 29
H COMP 2
V COMP 0

i was also going to post my color/hue. bri/con stuff, but apparently when you go into the service menu, it wipes it out, so i have to do it again.
post #97 of 480 Old 06-14-2006, 07:42 AM

Liked: 12
I read up thread that there was some confusion as to this TV's native HD resolution... does anyone know if it native 1080i or 720p?

Thanks!
post #98 of 480 Old 06-14-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackbelt Jones View Post

I read up thread that there was some confusion as to this TV's native HD resolution... does anyone know if it native 1080i or 720p?

Thanks!

The confusion lies with Samsung's CSRs and their Data Sheets. ALL crt HD sets have a native scanning rate of 1080i.
post #99 of 480 Old 06-14-2006, 05:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orntar View Post

ok, here is what i currently have, i didnt change all of these, i just wrote them down...

VAMP 39
VSHIFT 27
HAMP 18
HSHIFT 34
V LIN 7
UP_LIN 4
LOW_LIN 0
V SC 3
HPAR 40
UP_COR 38
L_COR 37
H TRA 29
BOW 31
ANGLE 27
V POSITION 29
H COMP 2
V COMP 0

i was also going to post my color/hue. bri/con stuff, but apparently when you go into the service menu, it wipes it out, so i have to do it again.

Sorry to hear that, but thanks again for the numbers ill give them a try after work.
post #100 of 480 Old 06-14-2006, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by orntar View Post

VAMP 39
VSHIFT 27
HAMP 18
HSHIFT 34
V LIN 7
UP_LIN 4
LOW_LIN 0
V SC 3
HPAR 40
UP_COR 38
L_COR 37
H TRA 29
BOW 31
ANGLE 27
V POSITION 29
H COMP 2
V COMP 0

Well I can confirm that these numbers won't work on every TV. I tried them on my 3082, and the result was horrible. I went back to the factory preset numbers, and then just adjusted the UP_COR and the L_COR, and this got rid of the corner flaring my TV had. The sides of the image in 4:3 mode are still a little wavy and not perfectly straight, but I am pretty happy with the way it is now. MUCH improved!
post #101 of 480 Old 06-14-2006, 09:14 PM

Hello Everyone,
1st time poster, long time lurker. I recentley purchased the Samsung 30" Slimfit HDTV (TXS3082W) last week at Best Buy, for the HD Adventure Deal and needed some help with this set. I am new to HD but am somewhat familiar with TV technology so bear with me. I picked this set up last monday, set it up last wens to my DVD player, 360 etc. Anyways, I callibrated the settings from out-of-the-box(Dynamic and all) using the THX test on SW:EPIII dvd, and thought that my picture looked great. However 3 hrs into using the set, while playing Call Of Duty 2 on the 360, the pic started to break up and then became staticy. I thought maybe it was loose cables, no luck. I turned it off/on, unplugged and even waited till next day, no luck, the screen was still distorted (think of the static when you first put on a VHS, the "snowy" effect all over). I switched through the inputs and the static was evident on all of them, so I knew that there was something wrong with the TV. I came on the boards and discovered that this tv is prone to burn in, especially with the out-of-the-box settings (Dynamic, High Contrast, etc.). I decided that I would change the settings just so I wouldnt risk further damage, and the static dissapeared! Now(a week later), the pic looks good, and I havent had any problems with static. I have noticed however that on either side of the tv, there a strips of "obvious" pixels, meaning the stand out from the rest of the tv. My bro and friends cant see them but I can DEFINATLEY spot them in certain areas. Now my question is this, What should I do??? The tv is still good under is 30 day waranty (and I also got the 4yr) so I could take it back can pick up a new one...but I am also aware of the various "other" problems (Geometry, bowing, etc.) people seem to be having with this tv, and since I cant see any problems with my set other then the pixels, I think my set is ok. I could take it back and get a set with a whole new set of problems. So maybe you guys could help me out...
1) What are these "obvious" pixels im seeing??? Is it just from having my initial contrast settings to high, which caused burn-in??? Is there a way to fix this problem???
2) Why is the tv prone to burn-in in the 1st place, its a tube-tv. I though only Plasmas and DLP could have burn-in.
3) My set also makes a quick "zapping" sound when I turn it on. It doesnt happen all the time and I am assuming its just the set warming up.

I apologize for my long post and my questions that probably are obvious to answer. I have been surfing this board for days and havent seemed to find the answers to my problems. Thank you ALL in advance.
Ian

I am officially seeing Purple
post #102 of 480 Old 06-14-2006, 09:58 PM

I had the 3082 . I cannot actually help you with your problem b ut I can tell you that after I had it for only 3 days ( and I might add...I really liked the picture etc) ...well...all of a sudden while watching it....no picture and no sound. I tryied all the trouble shooting and the universal reset....but still no pic and no sound.... It was my 1st Samsung so I really was bummed out and lost confidence in the reliability of Samsung.Again, I REALLY liked the TV but it blew. Ok...I took it back and got the 30 " Toshiba....which I did NOT liike...[poor pic and poor sound...I couldn't keep that one. So, I am returning the Toshiba to HH GREGG (who are being VERY understanding and tolerant) . I am going to try the Samsung 3082 again...thinking it was just a fluke and couldn't happen again. However, after hearing your story, Ian, I once again feel a little less confident with going back the the 3082. I am looking at the Sony 34 970 as a possibility too....but I really like the Samsung's built in HD tuner and also another ant input . Your comment about the 3082 really bothers me. Are there any 3082 owners out there who can tell me they have not had any probs with their 3082???? I am losing confidence again. Thank you.
post #103 of 480 Old 06-15-2006, 12:11 AM

Im sorry Ikabob, I didnt mean to scare you!!! Although I have a few issues with my Samsung, I still do like it for what it is. The "pixel" problem I am having isnt that bad, it just bugs me because I know its there, although everyone else who watches the tv thinks im crazy!!! The picture quality and features of the Samsung are great, and I am going to keep it for the time being. Good luck with your choice.

post #104 of 480 Old 06-15-2006, 10:04 AM

Ian, Thanks for your response. I understand 100% what you are saying. There are little things that bug me about stuff that nobody can understand. Yes, if there were a small pixel problems. I can see where it would bother me too and no one else. I am going to give the 3082 a chance. Like I said , I really did like it while it was functional. I still would like others to chime in if they have the 3082 and are experiencing no problems. Thanks again Ian. Ron
post #105 of 480 Old 06-15-2006, 02:30 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post

I had the 3082 . I cannot actually help you with your problem b ut I can tell you that after I had it for only 3 days ( and I might add...I really liked the picture etc) ...well...all of a sudden while watching it....no picture and no sound. I tryied all the trouble shooting and the universal reset....but still no pic and no sound.... It was my 1st Samsung so I really was bummed out and lost confidence in the reliability of Samsung.Again, I REALLY liked the TV but it blew. Ok...I took it back and got the 30 " Toshiba....which I did NOT liike...[poor pic and poor sound...I couldn't keep that one. So, I am returning the Toshiba to HH GREGG (who are being VERY understanding and tolerant) . I am going to try the Samsung 3082 again...thinking it was just a fluke and couldn't happen again. However, after hearing your story, Ian, I once again feel a little less confident with going back the the 3082. I am looking at the Sony 34 970 as a possibility too....but I really like the Samsung's built in HD tuner and also another ant input . Your comment about the 3082 really bothers me. Are there any 3082 owners out there who can tell me they have not had any probs with their 3082???? I am losing confidence again. Thank you.

I am so sorry you're being put through this mess. I think you're going about it the best way. Since your reseller is so good, do you think they would allow you to open the box in the store before taking it home to make sure it's OK? At least you could try to determine if it's a lemon and save yourself the grief of taking it home and having to return yet another set. Just a thought.

The "pixel" issue is "the way it is." Every Samsung set I've ever seen has it, as does my 34" Sony set, to a lesser degree. The edges of the tube don't get scanned as directly as as at the center and this results in some loss of focus and an appearance of larger pixels on the sides. I've got used to it very quickly.

Cheers!
post #106 of 480 Old 06-15-2006, 04:49 PM

Good suggestion JustSC...I will see if I can try it at the store. I will get back. Yes, I am lucky HH GREGG is being sooooo cooperative. Ron
post #107 of 480 Old 06-16-2006, 11:47 AM

As I said earlier, the "pixel" thing isnt so bad, I dont see it all the time, and my family NEVER sees it, but I cant help but look on the sides every once in awhile while im watching tv or playing a game to see if its there. Its annoying but Im hoping that I will just ignore it that fact that its there in the first place. No I need to properly calibrate it, right now im on Custom setting, 50 contrast, 68 Brightness, 45 Sharpness, 35 Color, 50/50 tint. Do these sound about right??? I feel that I could use some more sharpness in some movies that im watching but overall it looks good, untill I get a Calibration Disc. Thanks alot guys!

post #108 of 480 Old 06-16-2006, 12:27 PM

i am thinking about purchasing the txs-3082 also. i am a newbie. overall how is the picture on xbox 360? is it comparable to the much more expensve sony xbr970? and how does the picture look on standard digital cable?
post #109 of 480 Old 06-16-2006, 01:03 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianscloset View Post

...I need to properly calibrate it, right now im on Custom setting, 50 contrast, 68 Brightness, 45 Sharpness, 35 Color, 50/50 tint. Do these sound about right??? I feel that I could use some more sharpness in some movies that im watching but overall it looks good, untill I get a Calibration Disc. Thanks alot guys!

Your settings sound very reasonable. How does it look? What are you watching (e.g. HD, DVDs, etc)?

From your settings and your question I'm going to guess you're watching analog or digital material but not HD. Correct?
post #110 of 480 Old 06-16-2006, 08:24 PM

That is correct justsc, I only use my tv for DVD's and Games. That is it!!! I am a 20 yr college student who still lives at home with my parents, My entire HT is setup in my 10x10 room...it is the best setup in the house. My parents still havent gone surround/HD yet so we dont not have a HD signal (just comcast digital), and I am not really a Television person...Movies are my thing. My TV looks pretty good right now, but I have a feeling it could look better and I have been messing around with the settings based on what people post here and what looks good too me. I just dont want to damage my tv if the settings are too much...So contrast/brightness are the 2 settings that cause Burn-In right??? My contrast is currently at 50, but I have seen people havee theirs as high as 70, is that a problem??? Sorry for all the ?'s, I just figure this is the place to ask them.

post #111 of 480 Old 06-17-2006, 11:18 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ianscloset View Post

That is correct justsc, I only use my tv for DVD's and Games. That is it!!! I am a 20 yr college student who still lives at home with my parents, My entire HT is setup in my 10x10 room...it is the best setup in the house. My parents still havent gone surround/HD yet so we dont not have a HD signal (just comcast digital), and I am not really a Television person...Movies are my thing. My TV looks pretty good right now, but I have a feeling it could look better and I have been messing around with the settings based on what people post here and what looks good too me. I just dont want to damage my tv if the settings are too much...So contrast/brightness are the 2 settings that cause Burn-In right??? My contrast is currently at 50, but I have seen people havee theirs as high as 70, is that a problem??? Sorry for all the ?'s, I just figure this is the place to ask them.

Yep - this is the right place for questions like yours. Never appologize for your questions. They are good ones and others will learn from the answers.

The reason I guessed what you were watching is because you wouldn't be able to tolerate such high settings if the material was HD.

You are correct that it needs calibration and you've done the right thing by ordering Avia. That's really the only way to get optimal settings and protect your investment at the same time.

The only setting that poses a risk to your set is Contrast. Set too high, Contrast can cause burn-in and shorten the life of the phosphors. A value of 50 is not going to harm the set, unless you have static images up for long periods of time (hours). So long as the scenes are changing you're OK. The other burn-in risk is if you are watching material with bars on the sides or top & bottom too much, which can burn-in dark areas where the bars go.

Non-HD signals need more Contrast, Brightness, Color and Sharpness to look decent, so what you're doing isn't something bizarre. Once you get it calibrated (soon hopefully) you'll like things much more.

You're doing a good job!
post #112 of 480 Old 06-18-2006, 07:12 PM

JustSC ....I got my 3082 back and I am crossing my fingers that it does not go out like the 1st one. Is there a specific surge protector that is recommended? I really want to take all the precautions to preserve the 3082. The cable picture is soooo nice and the HD tuner picture is great. Also, where do I get the calibration disc and what do I ask for? The picture quality is so nice I cannot think that I actually need to refine it with the disc. Do I? Thanks again. Ron
post #113 of 480 Old 06-19-2006, 10:29 AM

so far I like it a lot, but I have had two issues that concerned, especially since my 30 days are up and i couldn't afford the warranty...

one was i got some weird lines when using my xbox, but that went away after a couple days, not sure what it was all about

the other is a clicking noise when turning on the tv, it continues to click for about 5-10 seconds sometime before stopping, everything seems to be ok, but i'm not sure... plus after reading these posts about contrast, i'm guessing i should change mine from the Dynamic default of 100 even though i kind of like it ... also is it normal for commercials to "resize" on HD and only be about half the screen ... i only have OTA HD and i was watching the NBA Finals and the commercials are smaller than the game... same thing happens to me when i'm playing NBA Live 2006 on Xbox (with component cables and all the HD settings enabled on the Xbox) the menu screen and title screens are sized smaller but then the "gameplay" takes up the whole screen and looks just fine... thanks for everyone's help
post #114 of 480 Old 06-19-2006, 05:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

JustSC ....I got my 3082 back and I am crossing my fingers that it does not go out like the 1st one. Is there a specific surge protector that is recommended? I really want to take all the precautions to preserve the 3082. The cable picture is soooo nice and the HD tuner picture is great. Also, where do I get the calibration disc and what do I ask for? The picture quality is so nice I cannot think that I actually need to refine it with the disc. Do I? Thanks again. Ron

Ikabob!

Got the new one! Congrats.

About power - since your last one died the way it did, I would strongly recommend you get some kind of line conditioner, or at the least a very good surge supressor. You need to be able to protect for dropouts in power as well as spikes. Have you ever measured your incoming electricity to see if it's consistent?

Power Line Conditioners can be expensive - sometimes $300 or more. A good surge supressor can run you over $100, but it's very good insurance. You might post a new question about this apart from any other threads.

Calibration dvd - I ordered my copy of Avia from Amazon.com. Real easy. But remember, if it ain't broke, don't fix it. A new HD set can always benefit from a basic calibration like Avia can provide. Let it get 100 hours of viewing before calibrating. Be sure to get the tv off of Dynamic and on to something like Custom.

I am sooo happy for you - let's hope this one is a keeper.

I'm off for a 4 week vacation. I hope to remain online, but if I disappear you'll know why.

Cheers!
post #115 of 480 Old 06-19-2006, 05:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsowder18 View Post

so far I like it a lot, but I have had two issues that concerned, especially since my 30 days are up and i couldn't afford the warranty...

one was i got some weird lines when using my xbox, but that went away after a couple days, not sure what it was all about

the other is a clicking noise when turning on the tv, it continues to click for about 5-10 seconds sometime before stopping, everything seems to be ok, but i'm not sure... plus after reading these posts about contrast, i'm guessing i should change mine from the Dynamic default of 100 even though i kind of like it ... also is it normal for commercials to "resize" on HD and only be about half the screen ... i only have OTA HD and i was watching the NBA Finals and the commercials are smaller than the game... same thing happens to me when i'm playing NBA Live 2006 on Xbox (with component cables and all the HD settings enabled on the Xbox) the menu screen and title screens are sized smaller but then the "gameplay" takes up the whole screen and looks just fine... thanks for everyone's help

Contrast at 100 will eventually ruin your tv. It'll dramatically shorten the lifetime of the phosphors and cause burn-in of any images left static for any length of time. It's best to use Custom and calibrate that with Avia.

It is totally normal for the screen to re-size for commercials. Sometimes there's even re-sizing going on when a sports even isn't using all HD cameras. Even if they're all widescreen, you can periodically see a real loss of resolution when they drop to widescreen 480p momentarily. These broadcasters haven't fully invested in HD yet.
post #116 of 480 Old 06-20-2006, 04:53 AM

Great advice! Thank you. I will keep the Picture mode off of Dynamic....I hope the rest of the family will remember too. I changed the contrast on the Dynamic mode to 50 just in case....I hope there will be no reset. I will post a request for a recommendation for a type of surge protector. I really like the TV....just wish I didn't have to shift the Zoom 1 picture all the time. Maybe there is a SM adjustment that will make the shift down the default. We'll see. Have a nice 4 week vacation, JustSC.
post #117 of 480 Old 06-20-2006, 11:05 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Great advice! Thank you. I will keep the Picture mode off of Dynamic....I hope the rest of the family will remember too. I changed the contrast on the Dynamic mode to 50 just in case....I hope there will be no reset. I will post a request for a recommendation for a type of surge protector. I really like the TV....just wish I didn't have to shift the Zoom 1 picture all the time. Maybe there is a SM adjustment that will make the shift down the default. We'll see. Have a nice 4 week vacation, JustSC.

Thanks Buddy!

I expect to totally forget about work and Silicon Valley. But I have no intentio of forgetting about AVS. To me, this is very relaxing. I really hope the wireless DSL is working when I get there.

Keep in mind that if you venture into the SM, when you re-power up the tv it'll default to Dynamic, along with some Audio settings I believe. So you'll want to be sure to go back to Custom after every SM episode.

I doubt there's an SM setting to make the shift down the default.

Cheers!
post #118 of 480 Old 06-20-2006, 12:42 PM

Guys, i just seen this model in store(3082) and i have a Samung 27" HDTV from 03', but Samsung seems to have improved something with it's tube, because this set looked nearly as good as the XBR970 sitting next to it.

I know it was rated at only 800 horizontal lines across, but it looks like a 1000 line set.

Now, i have a good 1st HDTV as it's a Sony 34" XBR960 (1400 lines across), and nothing under 40" can touch this set, but if i did not have this set, i may well have choosen this Samsung over the XBR970 and saved $400, because the PQ comes pretty close to it.

I was very impressed with this Samsung model, and i'm wondering what did Samsung improve on here, because it seems the specs have not changed from the 03' models.

(btw: i'm looking for a widescreen 2nd HDTV, so that's why i was looking at this model)
post #119 of 480 Old 06-22-2006, 11:49 AM
AB3

Well I just picked up my S3082.

Question: last night I plugged in my DVD player and tried a DVD the picture and the audio were fine. However when I would put music CDs into the DVD player to play through the TV, the audio was horrible! It was extremely tinny as though I were playing loud music through tiny $1 speakers.

I know the speakers are fine since they play everything else without any issues. I know the DVD player is fine for music since I've been doing it for quite some time through the same player on my other TVs. I had the volume turned down and it was still extremely distorted - I couldn't even understand the words. Any advice from anyone on what to do to remedy this?

Thanks
AB3
post #120 of 480 Old 06-22-2006, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Did you look through the Audio options in the user menu of the tv? On my older Samsung set it even has an on-screen equalizer that can be adjusted.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page