Forum Jump: 

post #181 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 09:16 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ikabob View Post

oh.....my box is gone. Thanks again! I really like the 3082. I just wish that when I watch things in Zoom1 mode, that every time I switch channels and come back to the original I have to readjust the shift down ....so tips of heads dont get lost. I think they should have allowed the shift to stay indefinitely until you reset it or maybe turned the whole set off. Seems like that would have been an easy thing to do. Oh well.....just a minor issue.

I haven't noticed any problem in Zoom1 other than normal stretching - heads still fit it seems - I assume you mean you have to change the service menu each time you return to the original channel to get the heads to fit?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #182 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 09:44 AM

Well....check your Zoom1 ...are you sure the heads at the tips don't get cut off...like with the NEWS broacasts? I don't have to return to the SM I just have to push PicSize and use those arrow keys up or down as the case may be. But not the SM....I have not messed with that. I read a story about someone who played with the SM and now the TV will not come on . I had a problem like that but it was on my 1st 3082 which I took back. It all of a sudden went out...never to turn on again...why I do not know. I then tried a Toshiba...which was terrible PQ and SQ....so I went back to a brand new Samsung 3082....HH GREGG was kind of cooperative on this but I did have to pay several delivery charges. They were ok. Anyhow I'm a happy camper now!...other than that shift thing. . Thank you.
post #183 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 09:53 AM

Quote:

Well....check your Zoom1 ...are you sure the heads at the tips don't get cut off...like with the NEWS broacasts? I don't have to return to the SM I just have to push PicSize and use those arrow keys up or down as the case may be. But not the SM....I have not messed with that. I read a story about someone who played with the SM and now the TV will not come on . I had a problem like that but it was on my 1st 3082 which I took back. It all of a sudden went out...never to turn on again...why I do not know. I then tried a Toshiba...which was terrible PQ and SQ....so I went back to a brand new Samsung 3082....HH GREGG was kind of cooperative on this but I did have to pay several delivery charges. They were ok. Anyhow I'm a happy camper now!...other than that shift thing. . Thank you.

Haven't played with pic size yet - do you have to be in the picture menu (or pmode) to use it? When I hit the psize button nothing comes on the screen - is it supposed to?
post #184 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 10:00 AM

Quote:

Ikabob -
OOPS! Just did the Zoom1 and no tops of heads - yikes! How could I have missed that? But perhaps only happens on non-digital stations (which I don't watch much) that aren't in 16:9, as I have Zoom1 and Zoom2 greyed out when I'm watching a digital signal. Will have to play around with this some more later.
post #185 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 10:29 AM

Yes Chip, I have found that to me the Zoom 1 seems to eliminate the stretching distortion I see when watching a cable station. The sacrifice is that the tips are cut off or the bottom is...so I have to do a switch up or down every time. Small problem . I am really looking forward to when all or most stations broadcast in 16:9 format.
post #186 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 03:19 PM

i have an old 32" trinitron that's dying and I'm considering this unit as my first entry into HD. I have a tv wall unit to hide it all away so depth is not an issue so i'm staying away from lcd. My question is this:

I will be leaving the 4:3 format. So i will lose real estate whenever i watch non hd programming. What are people's thoughts on that transition.

I am a filmmaker so i will often screen on this set and inevitably I watch a lot of movies.. likely in the 16:9 format. Is this a good entry or am I going to find that the technology will leave this behind a year from now and maybe I should've grabbed a phillips standard def for 500 (i do have a budget) bucks instead for now. I took a look at the uit at circuit city and there did seem to be a dip on the upper left of the screen.
post #187 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 07:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by reelhero View Post

i have an old 32" trinitron that's dying and I'm considering this unit as my first entry into HD. I have a tv wall unit to hide it all away so depth is not an issue so i'm staying away from lcd. My question is this:

I will be leaving the 4:3 format. So i will lose real estate whenever i watch non hd programming. What are people's thoughts on that transition.

I am a filmmaker so i will often screen on this set and inevitably I watch a lot of movies.. likely in the 16:9 format. Is this a good entry or am I going to find that the technology will leave this behind a year from now and maybe I should've grabbed a phillips standard def for 500 (i do have a budget) bucks instead for now. I took a look at the uit at circuit city and there did seem to be a dip on the upper left of the screen.

I mentioned earlier that I am using an HDMI cable from my cable box which has locked the SD channels in at 4:3 format. At first I was somewhat bothered because it wasn't using the whole screen. But after a week or so, I can say that I actually prefer it over the stretched mode, so it hasn't been that big of deal at all. Others might have different ideas of course.

On a different note, I was curious what people are using to clean their screens. Mine has just started accumulating some dust so I was interested if people have any secret products they use to keep the set looking new.
post #188 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 08:58 PM

Does anyone know if the "cutting off tops of heads" in zoom is unique to the SlimFit, or is this an issue on all types of widescrean televisions?

Thank you.
post #189 of 480 Old 07-08-2006, 10:07 PM

can anyone who configured their TXS3082 with AVIA post their settings, i have avia and could not configure the color and tint because i dont have the color filters they ask to use. thanks.
post #190 of 480 Old 07-09-2006, 06:08 AM

These are the settings I came out with using AVIA, but remember picture settings differ depending on TV set and Room conditions such as lighting. Yes I did use the color filters to adjust the color and tint.

Contrast - 55
Brightness - 24
Sharpness - 0
Color - 47
Tint - 57

I set Sharpness on 0 because I could not see any difference in the range between 0 and 100. Even using the AVIA DVD I still could not see a difference. This may just be a issue with my set but I don't really know.
post #191 of 480 Old 07-09-2006, 12:16 PM
JTP

I'm happy to say that i have just purchased this set. I was going to get the XBR970 but the girl friend didnt approve of the price tag. I am very pleased with the set so far. I noticed quite a difference right away with games like Halo 2 and God of War compared to my other set.

I also picked up an AVIA DVD which ill refrain from using till I get some hours on my tube. Now some issues that I have that are very minor but I would like to know if anyone else have had any experience fixing.

I have an old Sony reciever that does not have optical in or out, so i just used the av out on the back of the set to hook up to my reciever. It works fine with I have my Xbox (not 360) hooked up with a Monster Cable component cable. It doesn't send the sound out when im in component video to the reciever from the av out jacks. I really just want to keep the wiring clean and not have to get a female coupler to hook up the xbox audio cables to the reciever directly. The AV out jacks work for both the S-Video and the standard rca hookups. Thanks in advance.

Display: Samsung 4065F
Sound: Onkyo 504
4 Athena B1.2
1 Athena C1-1
AS P300 Sub
post #192 of 480 Old 07-09-2006, 03:52 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I'm a fairly new owner of a Samsung TX-S3082WH and I've been experiencing a few problems that I think can be fixed in the Service Menu, but I don't feel comfortable doing myself.

I have fuzzy text in both the bottom left and bottom right corners, and over-scan on the right side (When watching ABC HD programming, the "D" in the HD logo is cut off) and when I watch something in 4x3 the top of the right side of the SD picture is bowed inwards. When I open the program guide on my cable box, the horizontal lines are a little wavy.

Now, if I call Samsung support, will they do anything to help me with this? Do you think they will send a tech to fix this for me (I live in Kansas City) or will I have to send my TV off somewhere?

Just curious! Otherwise, I love the TV.
post #193 of 480 Old 07-09-2006, 03:58 PM
AB3

Well I still like this TV but the crooked nature of the picture is starting to wear on me. It seems like the bottom left hand corner of the picture is always crooked, ie. on a CNN ticker, the words get cut off at the bottom. The TILT features seems to fix this, but then it makes the top part of the screen crooked! Plus it doesn't fix it for every channel.

Especially when there are black bars on top and bottom it is quite obvious that the black bar on the top is much larger than the bottom bar. It's as though the picture is set too low. Any ideas? The guys at Samsung 1-800 weren't much help.

AB3
post #194 of 480 Old 07-09-2006, 04:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flamenmars View Post

These are the settings I came out with using AVIA, but remember picture settings differ depending on TV set and Room conditions such as lighting. Yes I did use the color filters to adjust the color and tint.

Contrast - 55
Brightness - 24
Sharpness - 0
Color - 47
Tint - 57

I set Sharpness on 0 because I could not see any difference in the range between 0 and 100. Even using the AVIA DVD I still could not see a difference. This may just be a issue with my set but I don't really know.

thanks, i think i will use the set on custom for a while since i've only had it for a week then i'll change the settings. i've also ordered a blue filter to help with the color. I think i will be exchanging the set i have though for another because the one i have seems to have some yellow/brown spot on the right side, which is visible when there is a full white screen, sort of like how it looks when a magnet is placed againgst the screen. but i have had no other electonics along that side or any speakers near it to cause the spot to show. Its gonna suck having to lug this downand up the 3 sets of steps i have in my home...
post #195 of 480 Old 07-09-2006, 06:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by xelhefex View Post

can anyone who configured their TXS3082 with AVIA post their settings, i have avia and could not configure the color and tint because i dont have the color filters they ask to use. thanks.

Just redid my settings with Avia for the second time - this time at night. Here's what I've come up with but did go back in and lower color down to the figure shown:

Contrast 40
Brightness 47
Sharpness 50
Color 31
Tint 50

And again, each set is different so your set will likely vary. Hope this helps.
post #196 of 480 Old 07-09-2006, 06:14 PM

I've been trying to correct the picture on my Samsung tv. Going into the submenu by MUTE 182, I've been messing with the DEFLECTION menu and was wondering....what is everyone's numbers under DEFLECTION.
post #197 of 480 Old 07-09-2006, 09:36 PM

I have the Samsung HT-Q70 Home Theater and I was wondering if anyone need the remote control code to program it on one remote.
post #198 of 480 Old 07-10-2006, 03:05 PM

Just checking in again with some feedback on my 3082. It's been almost 2 months and so far, so good.

Initial problems were a slight tilt issue, which I fixed via the set's own options. After that, picture adjustments had to be made to compensate for bad pixelation in dark onscreen areas. I recommend turning the brightness down quite a ways. If anyone's interested in my settings, PM me and I can jot them down for you.

The only complaint I do have is that when using the TV with the Samsung HT-Q70 HTIB, I have to adjust the upconvert resolution on the DVD player to 720p every time I turn the machine off and back on, because for whatever reason, the TV jitters badly when viewing an upconverted DVD at 1080i. I didn't notice the jitter so much from my Comcast HD box, and I don't believe it's the connections (I'm using HDMI cables from monoprice.com). I wish there was a setting on the HT-Q70 to remain on 720p, but I've yet to find it if there is one. I also thought this TV was native 720p res, but apparently, after reading comments on here today, it's a 1080i.

Overall, I'm extremely pleased with the TV. I recommend it for anyone with a small viewin room (like me), bedroom, or as a 1st-time HD set or a secondary HD set.
post #199 of 480 Old 07-11-2006, 08:13 AM
AVS Special Member

I also use 720p from my Oppo upconverting player. At 1080i it has too much jitter. These players are really intended for fixed-pixel displays and are poor at interlaced formats.
post #200 of 480 Old 07-11-2006, 04:44 PM

I'd like to get my first HDTV but my roommate doesn't want to give up the entertainment center, which has a max width of 38".

Seems to me that, assuming all the problems of last year's models were fixed, the txs3082w is a good bet, apparently being the largest widescreen I'm going to be able to fit in the space allowed. (I do like the CRT idea, due to price and picture quality. Is there a larger, widescreen HDTV with bottom mounted speakers and a smaller outer border? Like the Sony KDF-E42A10 which I'd consider if it'd fit...)

So if this is the best bet for this size restriction, the big problem is this: The room is actually fairly large and the current configuration has the couch about 10' from the entertainment center. I've read that the optimal viewing distance is anywhere from 5-8'. Would this distance of 10' be a waste? It's so hard to really tell when the display at Best Buy is on a bottom shelf in an aisle about 5' wide...

Thanks!
-Daniel
post #201 of 480 Old 07-11-2006, 05:03 PM

Sorry that these questions are somewhat off topic but I wasn't sure where else to ask them. First off the set has been working fine for the past month which is awesome. I was just curious about what other people are using to clean their sets.

Now a question about the HD programming. I have a Comcast HD DVR box and have recently been recording HD movies off of channels such as HBOHD, Starz HD, TNT HD, etc. Does anybody know if they are using new generation hardware (HD-DVD, Blue-Ray) to broadcast these movies or are they using an Upconvert DVD player? I am asking because I was interested in getting an Upconvert DVD player but haven't had any first hand experience with the quality of the image. So in your opinions is it worth paying the $150 for an upconvert DVD, is the increase in quality noticeable, or am I just better off waiting a year to get the HD DVD players?
post #202 of 480 Old 07-11-2006, 07:25 PM
Advanced Member

First, I would bet that HBO-HD et. al. would be using computerized equipment to broadcast these movies from hard disk, not from DVD's.

I have an HD Upconvert DVD player (LG LDA-511) and it is wonderful. I have it hooked up to my Samusng with the HDMI cable and hooked to my home theatre with the TOSLINK cable.

The image is fabulous. You have to do some setup in the menu (tell what format you want 720p, 1080i ect. and tell it if you have 16x9 or 4x3 and you're ready to roll. I got mine for around $150 at Best Buy around Christmas 2005.

Also, it will play Xvid or Divix disks, and I've even had luck just putting DVD VOD's on a disk and it playing them. Honestly, I haven't found a disk it COULDN'T play so far.
post #203 of 480 Old 07-11-2006, 07:28 PM
Advanced Member

Samsung is going to repair my overscan issues, as well as the fuzzyness of pictures free of charge

I'm curious, because on the support ticket they put that my model/serial number for my TV was manufactured in April 2000... 6 YEARS AGO! This has to be incorrect right? These things are not that old?! I Have the the 3082WH.
post #204 of 480 Old 07-12-2006, 10:25 AM

does anyone know how to reset the 3082...i'm not just talking to basic functions but a master reset to undo any changes that were done in the sub menu using MUTE 182?
post #205 of 480 Old 07-12-2006, 11:25 AM
AVS Special Member

Just re-enter the original values before you changed things. That'll take it back to an original state.
post #206 of 480 Old 07-12-2006, 04:42 PM

I appreciate your response, but I'd have to think there's something I can do within the sub menu system that would be a factory reset...
post #207 of 480 Old 07-12-2006, 05:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greenfrogthing77 View Post

I appreciate your response, but I'd have to think there's something I can do within the sub menu system that would be a factory reset...

You can't. This has been stated over, and over and OVER in this post. YOU MUST WRITE DOWN THE ORIGINAL DEFAULT settings before changing them as there is NO WAY to reset them back.

I don't feel sorry for people who don't know how to read through threads and then bitch about having issues.
post #208 of 480 Old 07-13-2006, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm slowly coming to the same conclusion. I used to have more compassion for those who mess up their sets because they lack discipline when using the SM. No longer. As IceWindius has written, there's just too many posts giving this warning about recording default values first.

Unless I'm mistaken, this poster didn't actually say he'd neglected to record default values, did he? He may just be looking for a shortcut to get back to the default values w/o having to re-enter them manually.

Warning - On my Sony set, the reset option in the SM takes the values to factory newborn state - meaning all 0's or something of the equivalent. Nada. Nothing. Might as well round file the tv. Be very careful with using a reset function.
post #209 of 480 Old 07-13-2006, 04:00 PM

Hello, I have a question that hopefully someone here could help me with.

I bought the Samsung TXS-3082w over the weekend and I am very pleased with the HD picture. However, I am experiencing some audio issues. I am getting no stereo-out while hooked up through either of the component jacks (HD STB to TV & DVD player to TV). Also, when using an HDMI cable, I get a terrific picture but no sound, not even to the TV. My cable service is through Time Warner and I have an HD Scientific-Atlanta 8300 box.

Are these sound issues widespread with this specific Samsung model? If not, does anyone know how or if these two sound issues can be fixed?

I am considering returning the TV over this, but I would really rather figure out a way to fix it, as I love the HD picture I'm getting from this TV. Any aid on this would be much appreciated.
post #210 of 480 Old 07-13-2006, 06:20 PM

lol i didn't realize i was complaining about anything, i was simply asking a question. for those who wants to start a gripe over something i wrote, feel free too, but i won't play along. i have better things to do with my time enjoy
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page