The OFFICIAL Samsung TXS-3082W thread - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 480 Old 04-19-2006, 08:29 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hi all, i checked the forums and didn't see this thread started. I also decided it should be different from the other thread because I believe these are 2 different beasts of TV's. 1st I'd like to state I did own a TX-R3079W. I returned it because i knew the S version was coming out, and boy am I glad I did. Between the 2 I tried out a 32 inch LG LCD, which I must say I couldn't handle due to the horrible black levels. Anyway, for those wondering most Circuit City places have the TV in, they just don't have it out to be displayed. I'd also like to add that they call it txs3082w and don't have the h that I was accustomed to, so make sure you don't add it or their system won't find it. I've had mine since Friday of last week, and had to return 1 due to a malfunctioning audio port out of the box. i have a strong picture throughout the whole tube though, at least as far as my newbie eyes can tell, and I've also got very minimal if no geometry issues. I'm tempted to take out a measuring tool just to see, cause i thought I had one, but when i checked it i saw my eye was lying to me (maybe cause i was used to the problems I heard with the earlier model in the other thread.) I whole heartedly reccoment this set, and am happy to answer any questions anyone has on it. Oh one more side note, this set has 2 hdmi ports instead of 1.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 480 Old 04-19-2006, 09:55 PM

The set is pretty damn sexy. I got it as a replacement for my tv that wasn't being made anymore. Samsung was pretty fast with the replacement after the 4 months that it took to figure out the problem with the other tv. (I sent it to authorized repair place and it took them 4 months to get back to me....sad) Anyway, I must say it's pretty good. I paid $325 for my previous t.v and this upgrade was free, so not bad.
post #3 of 480 Old 04-20-2006, 06:39 PM

Out of curiousity...what is the difference between this model and the 3079? I've got the 3079 now and now that I've used the service menu, its got a really great picture in my opinion. I was considering bragging another for my bedroom as they seem to be about $699 now at some places in my area.
post #4 of 480 Old 04-20-2006, 07:11 PM

Well, just compare the two:

txs3082
txr3079

From what I can see, the 79 doesn't have 2 HDMI ports, that SRS sound stuff and some other things, but knowing samsung, these could be wrong heh.
post #5 of 480 Old 04-20-2006, 10:11 PM

yeah i saw one at local bestbuy picture is great but there are still tiny bowing effects you can't really see it when tv is playing but when you turn on the on screen menu you can see the meus is a bit tilted
post #6 of 480 Old 04-21-2006, 12:50 PM

What do you guys think when comparing the 3082 to LG's 30FS4D? I was dead-set on buying the LG, but the Sammy now has me second-guessing that decision, especially with the dual-HDMI inputs.
post #7 of 480 Old 04-21-2006, 03:35 PM

Actually after checking out Circuit City after work, I'll just buy the 3082 instead of the cheaper 3079. I do like the new look of the set and the pair of hdmi's will help out. I'm sure that I can tinker in the service menu and get the picture to match my 3079.
post #8 of 480 Old 04-21-2006, 04:01 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Liked: 12
So, does the 3082 have better picture quality than the 3079 and have Samsung fixed the terrible geometry issue plaguing the older models?
post #9 of 480 Old 04-21-2006, 06:53 PM

The 3082's warping on the bottom of the screen isn't as bad as the 3079, but it's there on the top, as it is with the LG 30FX4D. I still can't tell 95% of the time when watching either that the geometry issues are there....it's only when I enter the menu that I notice it. I'm still leaning towards the LG for myself, even with Samsung offering the two HDMI's. I don't trust them quite yet with this set after the problems they had last year. I'll simply use an upconverter via component and live with it.
post #10 of 480 Old 04-22-2006, 02:47 PM - Thread Starter

From what i can tell with my tests (amateur btw using Mario Kart for the game cube lol) the geometry isn't nearly as bad as from the 79 i had. In addition, while on the 79 i notied really badly how soft the picture got at the outter edges, i'm not noticing it here on the 82. At some point or other i will get out a ruler or something and start to measure distances and see what sort of bending is really going on.

Unfonrtunetly it's been too long since i had the 79 so i cna't do a direct picture comparison, so I'm not sure the PQ is is better or worse then the older model. One thing i do know though is that watching Sin City through HDMI is a joy, especialy after suffering through it on an LCD that cost over double what this TV cost.
post #11 of 480 Old 04-23-2006, 04:20 PM

Quoted: 15 Post(s)
Compared to the TX-R3079WH the depth on the new model has increased by .3 inches so maybe thats how they alleviated the severe bowing by increasing the sets depth so the electron gun is set further back and doesn't have to shoot at such wide angles.

omad0n, can you see the lines that make up the picture when you look at the screen close up in 720p and 1080i modes?
post #12 of 480 Old 04-25-2006, 03:29 PM

Liked: 11
bump for some more user experience with this tv. I was dead set on buying the lg slimfit but now seeing this tv I like it just as much. Anyone have any more opinions or possible problems?
post #13 of 480 Old 04-26-2006, 08:07 PM

After nearly six months of wrangling with CC and Samsung warranties, I FINALLY got a replacement for my 3079 a 3082 model from CC. The geometry issues are still there, although not nearly as bad as the 3079. When there are vertical lines on the screen, I can see a little warping, but I haven't done any tweaking yet (I heard you're supposed to let tubes get some hours on them). And this may sound strange, and I may just be excited to be rid of my plagued 3079, but the picture seems a bit more vibrant and clearer than the 3079.
post #14 of 480 Old 04-27-2006, 05:09 PM

About a month ago I had picked up the txr3079wh but had returned it a week after. This one was a good one as the geometry problem was kept to a minimum, as it was hardly noticeable and even knowing it was there, it didn't bug me. What bugged me was the overall Slimfit design problem where 3 inches of the left and right sides were blurry.

I bought the set for gaming and it was a real eyesore for games with lots of text like Final Fantasy XI. I even tried the LG Slimfit and it seemed worse. Everything looks fine as long as there weren't any words. But I play a lot of games and even channel surfing with the channel guide up was bad.

I been researching other sets since then and I would really prefer to get a crt over lcd, and since this is for my room the huge sony wegas just wont do. I really liked the samsung slimfit but I know that they all have larger phosphores(is this right?) on the outer edges to make this design work.

So, what I wanna know is if the problem underlined above still exists in the new txs3082w set, and if so is it as bad as the 3079?

I would like to avoid having to bring my 360 in to test it as it isn't easy to get to the cords.
post #15 of 480 Old 04-28-2006, 06:24 PM

Quote:

About a month ago I had picked up the txr3079wh but had returned it a week after. This one was a good one as the geometry problem was kept to a minimum, as it was hardly noticeable and even knowing it was there, it didn't bug me. What bugged me was the overall Slimfit design problem where 3 inches of the left and right sides were blurry.

I just bought the TXS-3082W and the problem with the blurry text on the sides of the screen still exists. I must say that I can only notice this with text, but since I bought this TV purely for XBOX 360 gaming, it is an issue for me.

The horizontal bowing that a lot of users reported with the previous year's model seems to have been fixed, although loading some calibration images from the service menu revealed major vertical line bending appearing closer to the right side of the screen.

I really wanted to like this set - it's a perfect size and the price is right, but I will most likely return it due to the blurry text issues.

Now it's back to the drawing board - what TV should I get for my gaming needs? Non-slim CRTs are not an option due to space limitations in my studio and good LCDs are just too expensive. Any suggestions?

Thank you in advance!
post #16 of 480 Old 05-01-2006, 09:49 AM

I've been testing these TV's as much as I can at work (Samsung v. LG) and I'm still undecided. What's killing me is what the Samsung does on quick transitions from black back up to full picture - it distorts, seemingly stretching to fill up the screen. This is driving me crazy!

Using Samsung's HD Up-converter, I tested both the HDMI and component inputs on each TV, with the Samsung producing a more appealing picture, despite the LG being a little bit sharper. Also, because Samsung is still using glass as opposed to LG using the no-glare screen, the contrast is a bit better on the Sammy. Again, throw in the dual HDMI's and it's the Samsung, hands down, but then it does that crazy stretching thing when coming up from black to a new edit in the film or television broadcast being displayed. What is this? I keep reading about "overscan" - is that what I'm seeing? Can this be fixed or adjusted? Has anyone else noticed this? The LG doesn't do it, and if the Sammy can't be fixed, I'll be settling for the LG, or getting away from Slimfit designs entirely. Anyone have another suggestion on a 30" HD that's less than 38" wide??
post #17 of 480 Old 05-03-2006, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTrayne View Post

. . . but then it does that crazy stretching thing when coming up from black to a new edit in the film or television broadcast being displayed. What is this?

Do you mean that it is physically distorting when there is a cut to a different image? Or is it a variance of the contrast and luminance?

I just bought this TV a few days ago and noticed a few "quirks" about it. (i.e. the black levels automatically changing in random spurts) After about two or three hours of use the tv made a pop and fuzz sound and now displays everything fine. It's almost like the tv just needed to "warm up".
post #18 of 480 Old 05-03-2006, 02:06 PM

well, i've had my 3079 for just under a year now and it seems to have died on me. the set will not turn on at all. i've got a service visit setup for later this month. i'm lucky it happened this month and not next, otherwise I would have no warranty. i know of the geometry problems, but has this been happening often as well?
post #19 of 480 Old 05-03-2006, 02:18 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdlafl View Post

well, i've had my 3079 for just under a year now and it seems to have died on me. the set will not turn on at all. i've got a service visit setup for later this month. i'm lucky it happened this month and not next, otherwise I would have no warranty. i know of the geometry problems, but has this been happening often as well?

Try this.

Unplug the tv from every device and from every power source. No connections whatsoever. No plugs in the wall or in a surge suppressor or in a power strip. Nothing. Leave it that way for up to 4 hours. Try again (just the tv and power).

This can serve to resolve some of the toughest problems. It's a tv version of a hard reset. If it works, keep your repair appointment just in case.

Good Luck!
post #20 of 480 Old 05-04-2006, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jemron View Post

Do you mean that it is physically distorting when there is a cut to a different image? Or is it a variance of the contrast and luminance?

I just bought this TV a few days ago and noticed a few "quirks" about it. (i.e. the black levels automatically changing in random spurts) After about two or three hours of use the tv made a pop and fuzz sound and now displays everything fine. It's almost like the tv just needed to "warm up".

It physically distorts when coming up from black. For instance, the X-Men 3 trailer plays on our loop. Everytime the edits fade to black, and back up, it stretches going into the edit, and then back out as it fades up from black. It's on everything. What the heck is this?
post #21 of 480 Old 05-04-2006, 09:05 PM

I've had my 3082 for about a week now and really like it. It's just a bedroom tv for me, but the HD picture is very good, the D* SD picture is very good, and the regular cable feed is ok.

I like the added inputs and 2 HDMI's are nice.

There is a very slight bending at the left bottom, and a slight blur in the upper corners, but only in the service menu.

Overall, I really like it.
post #22 of 480 Old 05-05-2006, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HTrayne View Post

It physically distorts when coming up from black. For instance, the X-Men 3 trailer plays on our loop. Everytime the edits fade to black, and back up, it stretches going into the edit, and then back out as it fades up from black. It's on everything. What the heck is this?

A couple of basic ideas:

1. Make sure the aspect ratio is correct for the signal that's coming into the tv.

2. Have you tried hooking up a DVD player and testing out a DVD?

I doubt it is overscan. Is it the edges that distort, or the whole image that is blurred? Or does it not involve blurring, but pincushioning?
post #23 of 480 Old 05-08-2006, 01:30 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
I just purchased the 82 yesterday, I am liking it even though it does have the issue with Geometry (the curving of a straight line in the lower portion of the tv). Although I was concerned when I found out today that it does not have 720P only up-converts to 1080i. I was wondering since I have a Xbox 360 and it's preferred output is 720P as is most HD channels should I exchange the tv?
post #24 of 480 Old 05-08-2006, 01:48 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by thalazy View Post

I just purchased the 82 yesterday, I am liking it even though it does have the issue with Geometry (the curving of a straight line in the lower portion of the tv). Although I was concerned when I found out today that it does not have 720P only up-converts to 1080i. I was wondering since I have a Xbox 360 and it's preferred output is 720P as is most HD channels should I exchange the tv?

Xbox 360 and 1080i - Most folks are finding that it's no problem at all.
post #25 of 480 Old 05-08-2006, 01:49 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by thalazy View Post

I dont think you should worry at all, my friend has the samsung 3079 and the 360 looks great on it. You arent going to find a crt that does 720 native, so unless you want to but a tv that isnt a crt id say keep it. The bottom line is if it looks good to your own eyes id stay with it.
post #26 of 480 Old 05-08-2006, 01:52 PM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Awesome! thanks for your replies. I am going to keep the tv, it's such a great looking tv and has a great picture. Not to mention I got a heck of a great deal for it. Thanks.
post #27 of 480 Old 05-08-2006, 04:48 PM

thalazy...I'm have a 3079 slimfit that I use exclusively for gaming and I have no issues with 1080i on my 360. The one thing I noticed was that I had my 360 settings on 720p and my screen would get a odd flickering on the bottom occassionally. Switched it to 1080i and havent had any issues since. The one thing that helped my set also was tinkering in the service menu a bit. Definitely improved my picture. I've gotten alot of compliments about how good my 360 games look on the Sammy.
post #28 of 480 Old 05-08-2006, 06:11 PM
Advanced Member

At the risk of opening up a horrible wound and starting a nasty string of insults, has ANYONE figured out the QAM capabilities of this TV?

Here's why I ask:

I have a TX-P2670 (normal tube) Sammy now, and it needs a new tuner board. Samsung has told me that the part is deeply backordered, and that they're willing to replace it instead of sending a service tech 50+ miles to replace the part when it comes in. They have offered to replace it with a TX-S3082. I have a Sony XBR960 as my main set right now, so I'm not worried about waiting.

However, nobody seems to know the QAM capabilites of the 3082 (or 3080, etc). I know for a fact based on other posts that the 2670 is capable of going QAM with a firmware upgrade.

Is it worth giving up a non-SlimFit 26" CRT with QAM for a 30" SlimFit with unknown QAM capabilities? I told the Executive Customer Relations rep that I would have to call her back to let her know if I wanted to wait on the repair or just replace it.

I'm VERY used to having the QAM with my Sony, and I know that my 26" is capable of it, so I'm loathe to give it up just for 4 more inches diagonal, possible geometry issues, and a slightly narrower depth. So, is there ANY word on the QAM on the SlimFits?

Please?
post #29 of 480 Old 05-09-2006, 06:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GamerX52986 View Post

The one thing that helped my set also was tinkering in the service menu a bit. Definitely improved my picture. I've gotten alot of compliments about how good my 360 games look on the Sammy.

Hi,

can you tell me how to get to the service menu ?

Thank you very much in advance !
post #30 of 480 Old 05-10-2006, 12:17 PM

CR Client,

I don't think there is a QAM tuner on the Samsung SlimFit models. I do know that the new Sony models have a QAM tuner.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page