JVC 30"-Anyone seen it?...... - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 125 Old 11-03-2006, 12:41 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've actually had this model (av-30w777) since the beginning of August, whenever I saw it at a local Walmart and bought it immediately due to the great deal (I think). I'm getting married at the end of December, and this television is for the new place, so the box will not even be opened until then. So the problem is that I am unable to view the quality of this set until almost 2 months from now.

On another visit to Walmart a few days ago, I noticed that they finally had a display set up for this television, complete with an upconverting dvd player. I decided to check out the quality by playing the dvd. I played it in WS format, and noticed that the edges seemed a bit stretched (I don't know any proper terminology for this stuff). The center seemed fine, but the left and right edges seemed to stretch the picture a bit. I think this was discussed on the last page, though I'm not certain if this is the same issue. Is this something to be concerned about? It really will be a bit of an annoyance if it can not be fixed, but for the price, I'll deal with it. I'm just wondering if this should also be an issue with my television, or if this can be fixed by adjusting the settings.

This next question just deals with how uninformed I am about these issues. I noticed that even though it is a WS television, and I played the dvd in WS format, it still had the black bars. I guess that I was just under the impression that since it was a WS television, this wouldn't happen. I've got no problem with it. I'm just wondering if this is normal for all programs/dvds in WS format.

And finally...(sorry for the extremely long post)
Is the Philips 30" a better deal? It's the same price as the JVC 30" at Walmart, but the JVC looked better to me. But I also know absolutely nothing about HDTVs. Did I make the right decision?

Thanks so much in advance to anyone who can help! I really appreciate it a lot!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 125 Old 11-03-2006, 05:10 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Danforth, where are you located? I have been waiting for the 777 models to show up in my area for a while now.

Also I don't know what WM's return policy is but if you read one of my earlier post's on this thread about all of the problems I had with a brand new 776 model you might want to check. They probably won't believe that you first turned it on 4- 5 months after you bought it.

In spite of the problems I had with the 776 model tv I bought I think JVC still makes the best 30" crt right now.
post #93 of 125 Old 11-03-2006, 09:59 PM

Jeff,

I got mine in Charleston, WV. If you would like me to get you the UPC or Walmart Number from it, I can. Then you should be able to call the Walmarts near you to see if it's showing up in their systems.

Can I post prices on here (I thought that I read somewhere that I couldn't)? If not, then let me know and I'll delete this. This set was actually put on Clearance and marked down to $480 last time I checked. It's only $526 regularly priced, but $480 makes it sound even better.

As for returning it: I purchased a 2 year warranty along with it, so it should be no problem if something is wrong.
post #94 of 125 Old 11-04-2006, 10:07 AM

Danforth,

Someone posted a WM SKU number for the new model a few months back. I gave the number to someone I know that works at one of the WM's in my area and it didn't show up at all in their system.

It's apparent to me that JVC is only making a limited number of the new models because they are only showing up at some WM's around the country and nowhere else. Several people have said that they were able to buy the sets on clearance also which makes me wonder if JVC has now stopped making them completely.

Oh well W.V. would be a little far for me to drive from Southern Wis. to buy one. If they don't show up in my area soon I might have to look for something else.
post #95 of 125 Old 11-05-2006, 09:35 PM

Jeff,

How far are you from the Beloit Walmart? They are showing 4 sets in stock (1 would probably be the display). If it isn't too far, you might want to check with them.

Good luck!
post #96 of 125 Old 11-06-2006, 10:14 AM

Danforth,

Beloit is about 50 miles away from me, I will have to give them a call. Maybe the 777's are finally starting to show up in Wis. How did you find out what a store had so far from you? Why don't you give me the SKU number that you have so I can re-check with some of the closer stores. Thanks for your help.

Jeff
post #97 of 125 Old 11-06-2006, 09:45 PM

Jeff, I'm not sure of the SKU # -- is this another term for UPC #? If so, then I can give that to you, as that is all I have. As for how I found stores in your area that carry this set, my dad works at Walmart. I called and had him to do a search through their computer system for stores with this set in stock in your area (I saw that you were from Madison a couple pages back). There were only 3 stores that showed up: Portage, Beaver Dam, and Beloit. Portage and Beaver Dam only show 1 in stock, which I'm assuming is the display set. Beloit showed 4, which should mean 3 in the box and 1 display. It is possible that the other two stores didn't set up a display for this set, in which case they would have 1 new, in the box. Those were the only 3 stores within a 50 mile radius of Madison, though. All others showed 0 in stock. But I can still get you the UPC # if you want it, or the SKU # if you can tell me where to find it on the box.

I hope this helps.

And good luck getting one. If you find one, let me know how it is since I won't be able to see it for another couple of months.
post #98 of 125 Old 11-07-2006, 08:37 AM

The SKU number is the WM inventory number. It should be on your receipt. I'm not sure if it is the same as the UPC code number or not.

I called the WM in Beloit yesterday. The gal I spoke with checked inventory and said that they only had 32" JVC's (SD CRT or LCD?) in the back warehouse. I asked if they had any on order and she put me on hold to ask the dept. mgr. The dept. mgr. told her that they did not stock the 30" set.

Of course you can never be sure if the person on the phone is really checking anything or not. Beaver Dam and Portage are about the same distance from me so I will check with them also.
post #99 of 125 Old 11-08-2006, 10:56 PM

That's really strange. Two different products shouldn't carry the same UPC number. He did a search by the UPC number, and it showed up in the system at those stores. As far as I know, they wouldn't discontinue the 30" and then give the UPC number to their 32" set. I could be wrong though. Anyway, I apologize for giving you incorrect information. Just telling you what the computer shows.

As far as the SKU number...I see the UPC number and the TC number (??) on my receipt. Nothing else. Someone listed the SKU as 593198 in this thread, but I don't see that number anywhere on my receipt. The UPC is 0 4683802432 0 -- usually they will only need the middle 10 digits and not the first and last. Sometimes it won't even show up in the system if you search with the first and/or last number(s) included.

Hopefully that helps in some way. Good luck!
post #100 of 125 Old 11-09-2006, 02:20 PM

I called the WM's in Portage and Beaver Dam. The person I spoke with in Portage said that they didn't carry JVC at all. The person I talked to in Beaver Dam put me on hold to check then came back and said yes they did have at least one of the 777's in stock. I couldn't believe it at first but she confirmed that the model number was correct, etc.

So now I have a huge decision to make. Because of all the problems I had with the 776 and having all but given up on ever seeing the new model in my area I started getting myself psyched up to get a 32" LCD flat panel instead. When I first started looking at the JVC 30" crt's there was a much larger difference in price between them and 32" lcd's, not anymore. In fact I found out that BB is going to be selling a Westinghouse that I have been looking at on black Friday for less than what the JVC costs. I know about all the pros and cons of both technologies and the last thing I want to do is start another crt vrs. lcd debate but that's what is going on in my head right now.

Danforth thanks for all the work you did.
post #101 of 125 Old 11-10-2006, 01:37 PM

No problem at all. Just trying to help out a bit. I've been helped out many a time on forums.

As for the Westinghouse..Do you really think that price is real? There have been no official ads or anything, right? I'm just a bit skeptical. But I've actually been considering trying to get that one as well (if that's true), since I can return the JVC for a full refund if I find something better. CC supposedly has a 32" LCD for a really good price that day as well.

I've never been out on black Friday before, though. I'm a little worried, as I've seen plenty of videos of the mayhem. Do you think BB will be pretty bad? I know I live in a completely different area, so it's sure to be somewhat different. But since I already have the JVC, I'll probably just skip trying to get it if there are going to be fights for it, people lined up for hours before the store opens, etc. Is BB usually like this, or does this mainly happen at Walmart and places such as that?
post #102 of 125 Old 11-10-2006, 03:12 PM

The Westinghouse that BB is selling on black Fri. is a new model W3213. If you go to BB's web site and do a search for part # 8120366 you can see a picture and specs. It actually has better specs than the 32w6 that has gotten pretty good reviews. Check out the LCD/plasma forum there are a couple of threads about it.

I have no doubt that people will be lined up well before BB opens at 5am. Some may even camp out overnight. There are a lot of crazy people out there. If I go it will be much later in the morning and of course with my luck they will be out of the Westys by then. The fine print on there black Fri. ad says that each store will have a minimum of 15 units. They will probably sell 15 in the first 1/2 hour. I wonder if they will give rain checks?

I also plan on calling the WM in Beaver Dam about the same time to see if they have marked down the JVC's by then. Still haven't made up my mind.
post #103 of 125 Old 11-13-2006, 09:11 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
$405 + tax at my local wal-mart. Pretty nice TV so far. Just got done watching 'Over the Hedge' with the wife. Really nice. What's with the manually mentioning that the TV cannot display signals from a computer. I have my Personal Cinema Nvidia card set to 720p with some adjustments, and it works great. I want to try to get a DVI -> HDMI cable next, and give that a shot.
post #104 of 125 Old 11-20-2006, 02:29 AM

Does this model have digital optical output? Some sites say it does, others say it doesn't. Thanks.

And for those who have it, are you impressed? It fits right in my budget, and with dual HDMI inputs, it's tempting as hell. I'm just nervous going with JVC instead of Sony or something.

And a lot of you seem to have gotten it for around $500, whereas right now I only see it online at buy.com for $608. Is it anywhere else?
post #105 of 125 Old 11-21-2006, 08:52 PM

Optical output? Anyone?
post #106 of 125 Old 11-22-2006, 01:07 AM

bornyank1, sorry, but I can't answer your question. I have yet to open the box. Just letting you know that I didn't ignore you, though.

I have another question though. I really don't know much about any of this stuff. I assume that I will be watching many SD programs. Is it true that this makes the picture more like a 24" or so rather than a 30"?

I'm really trying to decide between this television (which seems incredible to me), or a 32" LCD. The only 2 problems that I'm worried about with this CRT are geometry issues and screen size. This is for my living room, so if it ends up showing up as a 24", that would seem a bit small.

Any help is much appreciated!
post #107 of 125 Old 11-22-2006, 03:29 PM

Well any widescreen TV would end up looking smaller when viewing SD, because the sides will be cut off (unless you stretch it, and then it's just kind of distorted). But I don't know why it would look smaller than any other widescreen TV. The 32 inch LCD might look a little bigger because of the extra 2 inches it has to begin with, but thats about it I guess.

The JVC has an HD tuner though, so you can get an antenna and pull in some free HD programming. This TV seems great to me, too...it has every features I was looking for and more. I'm just worried that I'll get it out of the box and it just won't look that good compared to a high-end set.
post #108 of 125 Old 11-22-2006, 04:54 PM

Thanks for the response.

We've broken down and are about to get it out of the box to try it for a few minutes, so that if we don't like what we see, we don't miss out on the Black Friday deals.

I really don't know anything about this stuff, but if you tell me what to look for (optical output), then I'll tell you what I find.
post #109 of 125 Old 11-22-2006, 09:35 PM

Great, let me know what you think. Hook it up to some high def sources if you have some available and see how it looks. Personally, I won't be watching much SD on it, so I care more about how it looks with OTA HD, Xbox 360, and HD-DVD. See if it has any geometry issues, and how the PQ is. THe optical output is like a little circular female connector, don't know how to describe it. It would probably be labeled.
post #110 of 125 Old 11-23-2006, 04:14 AM

Sorry for the long post..

Well from what I've heard, all CRTs will have some geometry issues (and I very well could have been misinformed, as I know very little about the subject), so this is no exception. I tweaked with the settings for a very long time to try and get the best picture. Being that this was my first HD experience, I was extremely impressed with how nice the picture was. The sound was also very nice. The only HD source I had available was my 360 (with GOW), which I hooked up for a bit. Absolutely wonderful.

I didn't get your message in time, so I didn't really know what to look for. I didn't mess around with the different inputs/outputs much at all, but I didn't see anything like that on the back. But please don't let this influence your decision, as there very well could have been one. I'd look again, but it's back in the box and ready to go back.

In the end, the geometry issues were too much. It wasn't bad at all, and probably wouldn't bother many people. I get crazy whenever it comes to things such as this, though. Any stretching or anything of that sort would drive me insane if I had to put up with it at all. I'm willing to give up some picture quality for a set (LCD) that would have no geometry issues.

If you can deal with the minor geometry issues, then it seems like a wonderful television to me. But again, I have very little experience with this.

I'm going to return this, as I just purchased an LCD as part of Circuit City's Thanksgiving Day special (same as the Black Friday special -- I was so relieved to see that they offered it online as well, so I don't have to brave the crowds Friday morning).

Sorry that I couldn't be of more help. Good luck with whatever decision you make though.
post #111 of 125 Old 11-23-2006, 12:00 PM

What exactly bothered you? Was there line curving and stuff? If the picture looked great with GOW, I might try it and hope to get a better set geometry-wise.
post #112 of 125 Old 11-23-2006, 12:25 PM

Like I said, I'm no expert on this stuff; not even close.

The best description that I can come up with is that it seemed to stretch the picture on both sides. I messed with the settings for quite a while, and couldn't fix it completely. I was able to minimize it quite a bit, but any stretching at all would drive me insane.

And yes, GOW looked great, but also had a very little amount of stretching on the sides.

It might have just been my set (and a few others), because most people report not even being able to notice these issues with this set. A couple pages back in this thread, though, someone else was describing something similar to what I'm describing with this set. It probably just bothers some more than others.
post #113 of 125 Old 11-23-2006, 12:36 PM

Was this stretching happening with standard cable, or other things? If it was just standard cable, I don't really care, I won't be watching that much on it. You're not talking about the normal stretching when watching 4:3 SDTV on a 16:9 screen, right? That'll happen with any set.
post #114 of 125 Old 11-23-2006, 03:26 PM

No, mine was stretching while playing GOW. I made sure that all of the settings were correct on the 360 and the tv.
post #115 of 125 Old 11-25-2006, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

I've never seen any JVC products in my local Wal-Mart's (The Northeast) & I'm very interested in this JVC so what should I "EXACTLY" ask them to look up in their coputers so maybe I can have them order one for me? Thanks.
post #116 of 125 Old 11-25-2006, 07:54 PM

Well, I'm sorry that I can't help you, but I'm interested in the same question. I've never seen the TV in a store, and I'd like to hear where the posters who found it in Walmart for under $500 had success.
post #117 of 125 Old 11-25-2006, 08:03 PM

My local Walmart has 2 in the box under a line of LCD's on display. I ask a associte about the JVC and he told me they did not have any. I directed him to the 2 boxes and when we got there he said that was part a special promotion. They were very busy It being Saturday morning after BF so I just passed it up and decided to wait till a later time to talk to someone else. Also they did not have one on display but they did have the Sanyo 30" WS and Sanyo 32" 4:3 side by side and the PQ on the 30" WS was much better. I am hoping to get the lower price on the JVC. I think it would be well worth the price.
post #118 of 125 Old 11-25-2006, 08:16 PM

What was the price on the ones you saw?
post #119 of 125 Old 11-25-2006, 08:38 PM

you know we are not to give pricing on this forum, but the highest price listed in this thread was labeled on the box
post #120 of 125 Old 11-26-2006, 09:06 AM

Update

I went over to Wally World and there was only one women in electronics. Asked about the JVC 30" and she hade to go to the sporting goods area to get a scanner. After she scanned it the price on the box was on the scanner. She informed me that some of the stores have different pricing and closeout specials. Guess I will have to keep checking back for the FALLING PRICES.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page