Samsung Service Menu Successes - Page 2 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #31 of 32 Old 04-06-2012, 08:59 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Can you help me identify and cure pulsating vertical striped bands across the image (do not show when there is no active signal)?
yrs,
Mike

These Service Menus (SM) were not intended for consumers. They were intended for trained service technicians to use when servicing these sets.

Obviously, the access code has been discovered and the crown jewels are available to all.

But no one should assume that playing in the SM is safe. Because it is not. One can damage their set to the point that it's ruined at worst.

Please do not enter the SM unless you intend to "follow the rules." The most important of which is "document the default values" before making any adjustments. There are a boatload of settings to adjust in the SM, and one does not need to record every value for every setting. But, it's critical that one records the value of any setting they intend to adjust or change. Failure to do so has caused many owners lots of heartache.

Let me explain why - our crt sets are analog devices. Even if your set is exactly the same as your neighbor's that doesn't mean both sets have the same values in their respective SMs. Each tv is adjusted at the factory during final test against a set of test patterns. The manufacturer's don't follow a script whereby each set gets the same settings. As analog devices, each set may align differently geometrically. Each set can meet the color standards at different settings then the next set. This results in sets within the same model line with different SM values.

Bottom Line:
The result is that if you hose your set in the SM, you can have no reason to expect that someone else's settings will save you.

Please record the default values of any SM settings you intend to adjust or change.

The second rule:
Before venturing into the SM, properly calibrate your tv. It's critical that your set conform to NTSC standards before making SM adjustments. The settings in the user manu achieved through the use of a calibration dvd give you a "benchmark" from which to start. If you make adjustments in the SM first and then calibrate the user menus, you have no reason to expect that any of the settings will behave properly. I use Avia, DVE and the Home Theater Tuneup by Sound & Vision magazine. They all do the job well. DVE is the hardest core disc, and can be intimidating to newbies. Avia is a bit easier to navigate and has all the tools necessary. Home Theater Tuneup is geared towards those unexperienced with calibration. The introduction is outstanding and it is very easy to follow. And, it has all the test patterns necessary for when you decide to venture into the SM. Just do it! Buy one and start on your way to incredible image, and audio, fidelity.

Final Rule:
The final rule is HAVE FUN. Many of us have seen incredible improvements in picture quality after calibrating our sets in both the user menu and the service menu.

Cheers!

And lets hear from others who've made positive changes in their SMs.[/quote]
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 32 Old 05-24-2012, 09:23 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hello.

I have Samsung CRT model CL-21Z57MQ. I bought 2 years ago approximately.

The problem is that the input component does not work. This came from the factory.

I have tried various component devices PS2, Xbox 360, etc.. I plug it in and it looks good without any problem, but if I put it in progressive mode. The screen is divided in two and the same thing twice and so distorted and altered colors. You can not see almost nothing of the image.

So before you buy another CRT. I'll do my best to fix this. It's a shame, because everything else works perfectly and is also new.

By the way. Enter the Service Menu and set the factory defaults. It did not work. Do not change anything else.

I hope you can help me, thanks.

PS: Sorry my English is not my first language.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page