Samsung Service Menu Successes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 32 Old 09-07-2006, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
As many here know, the Samsung line of HD sets have suffered from "geometry" problems for quite some time. There have been many, many posts explaining how these problems have been fixed in the SM or otherwise.

I'm asking all of you who've had success in Samsung's SM solving geometry and other problems. Another issue I read about often is "blobs" of color in an upper corner of the picture.

Please try to keep this thread dedicated specifically to SM successes, and keep a lid on complaints and such.

I look forward to what's certain to be a long list of helpful tips for us Samsung owners.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 32 Old 09-07-2006, 10:32 AM

Due to noone being able to do a calibration on my tv in the DFW area, I am looking forward to the replies. I own the TXS3082 and the geometry is ever so slightly off with everything else being perfect.

Knock on wood!

Oh and by the way justsc, you are one of the main reasons I purchased this tv. I have sifted through a gazillion posts and paid special attention to your input.
post #3 of 32 Old 09-07-2006, 10:34 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I'll start.

I bought my Samsung set about 4 years ago. At the time I was frequenting another forum, the Home Theater Spot. At the time, the Samsung section in that forum was super active with a wealth of good information.

What follows are the SM adjustments that I found gave the biggest bang for the buck. I posted this a long time ago but I don't recall which thread it was for. Please keep in mind that on older Samsung sets there were more sub-menus than now. The setting names sould still be the same but you may find them in different locations than where I've indicated - I see now that many of the adjustments are at the "root" level, so look there too.

In Video Adjust 1:
-Change COL AXIS from "2" to "1" (resolves the infamous red push-1 is more neutral)
-Change CTI Level from "1" to "0" (removes excessive chrominance enhancements)
-Change LTI Level from "1" to "0" (removes excessive luminance enhancements)

In Video Adjust 2:
-Change Gamma to "0" (more accurate blacks)
-Change DC Trans to "1" or "0" (holds black level)
-Change VM Level from "2" to "1" or "0" (removes artificial edge enhancement)
-*Change DPIC Level from "3" to "0"
-*Change SHP CD from "1" to "0"

*These proved to be good adjustments but for the life of me I can't recall the function of the setting.

As always, please record the default value of any setting you decide to adjust or change, before doing so.
post #4 of 32 Old 09-07-2006, 10:54 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by MilYellow02 View Post

Due to noone being able to do a calibration on my tv in the DFW area, I am looking forward to the replies. I own the TXS3082 and the geometry is ever so slightly off with everything else being perfect.

Knock on wood!

Oh and by the way justsc, you are one of the main reasons I purchased this tv. I have sifted through a gazillion posts and paid special attention to your input.

Thanks so much for the kind words.

I look forward to hearing more about your experience, and any successes you have tuning your set.

Cheers!
post #5 of 32 Old 09-07-2006, 11:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

I look forward to hearing more about your experience, and any successes you have tuning your set.

Cheers!

Oh, I am not going into the SM. lol

I did that on my two Sony Wega flat screen SD tube TV's and will not venture there again unless someone twists my arm.
post #6 of 32 Old 09-08-2006, 02:31 PM
xos

I actually joined this forum just to make a post similar to this one!! I'm dying with these geometry problems. It's to the point where I'm considering paying someone to come over and fix it, I'm that frustrated. The curvature in the corners just does not want to be straight.

Is it possible to make these tvs perfect?
post #7 of 32 Old 09-09-2006, 07:44 AM

What code to entry service menu in SM ?
post #8 of 32 Old 09-09-2006, 08:13 AM
xos

Turn it off, press mute-1-8-2, one after another, and then turn it back on. Be careful!!!
post #9 of 32 Old 09-09-2006, 09:11 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

For those unfamiliar with service menus:

These Service Menus (SM) were not intended for consumers. They were intended for trained service technicians to use when servicing these sets.

Obviously, the access code has been discovered and the crown jewels are available to all.

But no one should assume that playing in the SM is safe. Because it is not. One can damage their set to the point that it's ruined at worst.

Please do not enter the SM unless you intend to "follow the rules." The most important of which is "document the default values" before making any adjustments. There are a boatload of settings to adjust in the SM, and one does not need to record every value for every setting. But, it's critical that one records the value of any setting they intend to adjust or change. Failure to do so has caused many owners lots of heartache.

Let me explain why - our crt sets are analog devices. Even if your set is exactly the same as your neighbor's that doesn't mean both sets have the same values in their respective SMs. Each tv is adjusted at the factory during final test against a set of test patterns. The manufacturer's don't follow a script whereby each set gets the same settings. As analog devices, each set may align differently geometrically. Each set can meet the color standards at different settings then the next set. This results in sets within the same model line with different SM values.

Bottom Line:
The result is that if you hose your set in the SM, you can have no reason to expect that someone else's settings will save you.

Please record the default values of any SM settings you intend to adjust or change.

The second rule:
Before venturing into the SM, properly calibrate your tv. It's critical that your set conform to NTSC standards before making SM adjustments. The settings in the user manu achieved through the use of a calibration dvd give you a "benchmark" from which to start. If you make adjustments in the SM first and then calibrate the user menus, you have no reason to expect that any of the settings will behave properly. I use Avia, DVE and the Home Theater Tuneup by Sound & Vision magazine. They all do the job well. DVE is the hardest core disc, and can be intimidating to newbies. Avia is a bit easier to navigate and has all the tools necessary. Home Theater Tuneup is geared towards those unexperienced with calibration. The introduction is outstanding and it is very easy to follow. And, it has all the test patterns necessary for when you decide to venture into the SM. Just do it! Buy one and start on your way to incredible image, and audio, fidelity.

Final Rule:
The final rule is HAVE FUN. Many of us have seen incredible improvements in picture quality after calibrating our sets in both the user menu and the service menu.

Cheers!

And lets hear from others who've made positive changes in their SMs.
post #10 of 32 Old 09-09-2006, 09:50 AM
Advanced Member

How do you set the changes you have made to the SM?
post #11 of 32 Old 09-09-2006, 10:24 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by POWERFUL View Post

How do you set the changes you have made to the SM?

The Samsung does not have an "Enter" and "Write" mode like the Sony sets. If you change a value and exit the SM then the value has been changed.

Kinda scary, eh?
post #12 of 32 Old 09-09-2006, 02:05 PM

I have a TX-R3079WH and after much time spent with Avia and the service menu, I have found that setting gamma to 0 is just too dark for me. I leave it at 1. I have also changed the CTI and LTI levels but my eyes just cant pick up a difference. Is there something I should be keying in on?
I have also made minor changes to the geometry of the set and have found that by changing the H-PAR it will effect the UP-COR and LOW-COR. ie if H-PAR is 22 and I change it to 24 I also have to change UP-COR and LOW-COR from 32 to 34, and the overall picture doesn't change much.
post #13 of 32 Old 09-09-2006, 06:00 PM

"The second rule" is quoted from justsc's post #9 above.

The second rule:
Before venturing into the SM, properly calibrate your tv. It's critical that your set conform to NTSC standards before making SM adjustments. The settings in the user manu achieved through the use of a calibration dvd give you a "benchmark" from which to start. If you make adjustments in the SM first and then calibrate the user menus, you have no reason to expect that any of the settings will behave properly. I use Avia, DVE and the Home Theater Tuneup by Sound & Vision magazine. They all do the job well. DVE is the hardest core disc, and can be intimidating to newbies. Avia is a bit easier to navigate and has all the tools necessary. Home Theater Tuneup is geared towards those unexperienced with calibration. The introduction is outstanding and it is very easy to follow. And, it has all the test patterns necessary for when you decide to venture into the SM. Just do it! Buy one and start on your way to incredible image, and audio, fidelity.

I found Sound and Vision Home Theater Tuneup on ebay for a very reasonable price. If justsc says that's the easiest for the uninitiated then that's where I'm gonna start. I plan on taking digital photos of all of my settings in the service menu before I change anything. Maybe I should take shots of how the screen looks before and after I make changes so we can see the differences. It's too bad we don't have a description of what all of those settings do or change.

Oh, I have a 3079 slimfit model that I purchased used and it needs a lot of work. My plan of action is to make sure it's set to Custom in the user menu, get into the service menu to get the picture scaled down so that everything is on the screen, use the calibration disc, and then get back into the service menu to do additional tweaking, if necessary. Any other suggestions?
post #14 of 32 Old 09-10-2006, 11:14 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

I congratulate you for the gutsy move to go with Home Theater Tuneup. It's a little known and used dvd when compared to Avia and DVE. I sincerely believe you'll be fully satisfied. The package should come with red, blue and green color filters (I'm pretty sure this one comes with all three - at least the blue one for sure - I'm tto lazy to go look right now). Sometimes when these dvds are purchased from non-retailers, or rented, the filters are missing. The blue filter is critical for calibrating color, so be sure your seller is including this.

Basic Calibration - This is as much art as it is science. And some of these settings are interdependent with others. Contrast and Brightness for example. It will take time and much practice before you feel comfortable with this. So take it slow and very easy. These sets, being analog, require follow-up sessions to account for the settings drifting over time. I calibrate my sets at least once every six months. When I first got my calibration dvd(s) I did it numerous times to get used to how it all worked. As you practice calibrating you will get better and better at identifying how the controls affect the test patterns. In the beginning it may even seem that your adjustments don't seem to affect the test patterns they way the dvd tells you it should. I found this with Contrast on my Sony set. No matter how high I set it, the pattern just didn't seem to bloom they way I thought it should. It just took practice and patience on my part. You'll also find that when you adjust contrast, and then brightness, if you go back to contrast the new value may seem wrong. You may have to go back and forth with those two until you're satisfied with the results. Again, just be patient and take your time. It'll come easier to you as you practice.

Your planned adjustments are plenty for starters. The overall calibration will affect the user menu for Contrast, Brightness, Color, Hue and Sharpness. Also Color temp.

Once this is done it's best to tackle SM settings one at a time. Otherwise it gets very hard to know which ones made the difference. Make the adjustment and then spend some time watching the tv. See how it looks in high and low light conditions. Then either keep the change, make another adjustment or return it to default. Then move to your next planned adjustment. Try not to adjust two at once.

Again - be sure to have FUN. If you're not having fun you're working too hard.
post #15 of 32 Old 09-10-2006, 11:21 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogabosh View Post

I have a TX-R3079WH and after much time spent with Avia and the service menu, I have found that setting gamma to 0 is just too dark for me. I leave it at 1. I have also changed the CTI and LTI levels but my eyes just cant pick up a difference. Is there something I should be keying in on?
I have also made minor changes to the geometry of the set and have found that by changing the H-PAR it will effect the UP-COR and LOW-COR. ie if H-PAR is 22 and I change it to 24 I also have to change UP-COR and LOW-COR from 32 to 34, and the overall picture doesn't change much.

Did you make the changes one at a time? Also, did you observe the settings in both low and high light conditions? When this is done the changes can be more apparent.

However, if the adjustments make no real difference just leave them at the default values. It could just be that Samsung has gotten better with these settings since I got my set in '02.

That's great stuff with H-PAR! This is the kind of thing I'm hoping for with this thread. If you get a definitive fix with your experiments that's even better. But knowing what these settings affect on screen is critical.

Thanks!
post #16 of 32 Old 09-11-2006, 03:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jojogabosh View Post

I don't think that doesn't change. Changes are on extreme "ends" of the picture. On my set (2675wh) I had programs logos located partially hidden by sides (cbs sports in HD OTA) or bottom edge (fox 5 HD OTA). I did adjust size first and after that I "played" with other geometry settings.
Because I am "very lazy" I used digital camera to record factory setting - too many values to write them down
P.S. Sorry for my english
post #17 of 32 Old 09-11-2006, 03:44 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by darekz View Post

I don't think that doesn't change. Changes are on extreme "ends" of the picture. On my set (2675wh) I had programs logos located partially hidden by sides (cbs sports in HD OTA) or bottom edge (fox 5 HD OTA). I did adjust size first and after that I "played" with other geometry settings.
Because I am "very lazy" I used digital camera to record factory setting - too many values to write them down
P.S. Sorry for my english

Your english is just fine.

Thanks for contributing.

And welcome to AVS!
post #18 of 32 Old 01-28-2007, 08:56 PM

Does anyone know if it's possible to unmute the optical output on the TX-S3082 when on a component or HDMI input? I was hoping there'd be a setting for it or something in the service menu. It's really annoying that it mutes it!
post #19 of 32 Old 01-29-2007, 03:49 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RNGuy View Post

Does anyone know if it's possible to unmute the optical output on the TX-S3082 when on a component or HDMI input? I was hoping there'd be a setting for it or something in the service menu. It's really annoying that it mutes it!

I've read a number of posts having to do with HDMI, optical out and muting issues. Try doing a search on the Official SlimFit thread and see what you find. If you find the fix please post it back here.

Good Luck.
post #20 of 32 Old 01-29-2007, 04:37 PM

Does anyone have any numbers to help with overscan?
post #21 of 32 Old 02-04-2007, 08:47 PM

Everyone needs to be careful doing any of this. Most people like me figure they will only go in and change one setting so you think you'll just remember the defualt value without writing it down. Before you know it, you change one thing, then another , then another and before you know it it looks worse and you won't have the original values anymore. Why there is no reset for this makes no sense at all. It's like they want you to get in there and mess it up so you'll have to spend a ton of money to fix it. The RAM in the tv should save this to IMO.

BTW, I found changing the geometry has caused my Samsung txp2670whx to do something very weird and it's hard to explain. Basically, now the picture is straighter and there is no overscan anymore, but it grains up really bad in moving pictures and when playing games it has this weird vertical and horizontal flicker that only happens when moving the in-game camera around. It basically takes every single thing on screen that looks fine when I'm standing still and creates a sort of double effect when I move or turn around at all then it goes back to normal when I stop moving. But only in the backgrounds but not my character model such as in GRAW or Lost Planet that are right up close and any sort of on-screen menus such as health bars are not affected. Even 360 games running in HD look like I'm running a 480i PS2 game on an HD screen other than the resolution still looks higher. Very grainy when moving and it looks worse than a normal interlaced signal now. This will make no sense to anyone unless you've seen it, and it didn't do it until I changed the geometry.

I've now found out on different forums that changing the geometry can and usually will cause something inside the set that puts the picture on screen, guns or whatever does this, to become out of line since you move the geometry from the factory setting and this is what probably caused this on my tv. BTW, I've also read that once this happens your original defualt values will not make this go away. Thw whole thing is out of line and it has to be completely reset by a technicion and completely recalibrated...the entire service menu. And I believe it since it do remember my defualt horizontal and vertical values which pretty much get it back to normal and it's no better than leaving it at my new figures.

Fix your half inch of over scan on one side of the screen or that slightly off bottom corner or whatever at your own risk but don't say I didn't warn you. I'd take that half inch cut-off I used to have any day over what my HDTV does now.

I'm gonna have to buy a new tv over this since it costs more to have someone fix it than the damn the cost in the first place.
post #22 of 32 Old 02-05-2007, 10:06 AM

Thats quite interesting... makes me think if the problems with my otherwise working TV were caused by me.

My set had a lot of overscan, and the picture was slightly offset to the right (so the channel logo on most channels was off the side of the screen slightly, discovery especially) so I fixed it with a fairly minimal amount of adjusting, but now I have a purple hue on the right and left sides of the screen while displaying colors close to red.

I have a tech coming out to check it out, so we'll see what the verdict is... I'd be pretty embarrased if it was something I did to it.

-Colin
post #23 of 32 Old 04-02-2008, 09:47 PM

from reading I know that not every tv has the same service menu settings but does anyone have a general idea as to what each value should be. if you don't want to type each number in the screen can someone post a screenshot of their settings.

i have a samsung ln-t5652f 52" lcd tv
post #24 of 32 Old 05-29-2008, 09:00 PM

Hey all,

I took the plunge and attempted to fix my overscan. I took a picture of all of the pages' settings before I did anything just in case.

However, the right edge of the screen is still cut off on my 1080i/Component input. I can move the whole image to the left so the right border is clearly visible--but there's some that's missing. I made a little picture in Paint to show what I mean in case I didn't describe it well.

It's exaggerated a bit, but the green part is what's missing in the 2nd image. On my TV, I'd say there's about a two inches missing. It's enough to obscure part of the screen when playing a video game (my roommate's been playing GTA 4 and can see only half of the current weapon's icon, and when the cell phone rings, the cell phone "screen" is cut off a bit).

Is there any way to fix it?

Also, the upper right is skewed a bit. The best way to picture it is if you drew two horizontal lines on the screen all the way across; one close to the bottom of the screen and one close to the top. The lower line would be straight, but the upper line goes about a 1/3 of the way from the left to the right side before curving up, to the point where it's significantly higher on the right (maybe two or three inches higher than the right side).

Oh yea my model is TXN3271HF (32 inches). I'll mess with the color once I get the overscan where I want it.
post #25 of 32 Old 05-30-2008, 03:51 PM

Thanks to the helpful people in this thread I was able to fix the terrible 1080i image that had been hounding me for years on my TXN3271HF. About 3" where cut off on each side and the geometry on the right side made an unsightly arc. But thats all in the past now!!

Now I can finally play my 360 on this set without having to guess how much health I had left in GTA IV.
post #26 of 32 Old 06-09-2008, 02:02 PM

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by justsc View Post

I'll start.

I bought my Samsung set about 4 years ago. At the time I was frequenting another forum, the Home Theater Spot. At the time, the Samsung section in that forum was super active with a wealth of good information.

What follows are the SM adjustments that I found gave the biggest bang for the buck. I posted this a long time ago but I don't recall which thread it was for. Please keep in mind that on older Samsung sets there were more sub-menus than now. The setting names sould still be the same but you may find them in different locations than where I've indicated - I see now that many of the adjustments are at the "root" level, so look there too.

In Video Adjust 1:
-Change COL AXIS from "2" to "1" (resolves the infamous red push-1 is more neutral)
-Change CTI Level from "1" to "0" (removes excessive chrominance enhancements)
-Change LTI Level from "1" to "0" (removes excessive luminance enhancements)

In Video Adjust 2:
-Change Gamma to "0" (more accurate blacks)
-Change DC Trans to "1" or "0" (holds black level)
-Change VM Level from "2" to "1" or "0" (removes artificial edge enhancement)
-*Change DPIC Level from "3" to "0"
-*Change SHP CD from "1" to "0"

*These proved to be good adjustments but for the life of me I can't recall the function of the setting.

As always, please record the default value of any setting you decide to adjust or change, before doing so.

thanks!
post #27 of 32 Old 06-15-2008, 04:26 PM
AVS Special Member

I have a question. I have a Slimfit TXT2082 and when I watch a letterbox movie, I notice on the black bars that the left side is more curved that the right side. Below is an example of what it looks like. Mine is not as bad, I just exaggerated it a little bit to help point out what I'm talking about.

What should I adjust on the Service Menu so I can remove the curve on the left side?
post #28 of 32 Old 09-20-2011, 01:03 PM

Please help!

I have Samsung Tv, model le40c530 and I want to enter advanced settings in the service menu but I don't know the code. I tried 0000 but it doesn't work on this model. I want to turn off dynamic dimming.
post #29 of 32 Old 11-03-2011, 07:28 AM

Hello
i have a le32d403e2w ,can you tell me wich one is my sm code cause i tryed mute 182 power but it dosen't work and i don't know an other one!!

i wana it casuse i see i have a usb port on my tv but it plays only music and pics and no movies and i saw on youtube a samsung with apropriate series like mine that that guy activated the video on his tv through his sm

can you help me..pls..

thank you
post #30 of 32 Old 11-18-2011, 04:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Seagal View Post

Please help!

I have Samsung Tv, model le40c530 and I want to enter advanced settings in the service menu but I don't know the code. I tried 0000 but it doesn't work on this model. I want to turn off dynamic dimming.

try putting tv into standby then press info menu mute then power button ,works on my samsung le32 tv
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page