38" LOEWE Aconda on ebay..3 new - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 23 Old 10-12-2006, 05:17 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
There is a guy selling 3 NEW 38" Acondas for a grand buy it now! I have the 30 aconda and it's awesome! Yup..I know it has now warranty and doen't have the great service track record but DANG...If you are considering a XBR970...you should look into these. I bought mine 2 years ago and I LOVE it (but it's only the 30"). I bought a 42 panny plasma becasue I could find the 38" aconda around at the time. So I'm getting my bro to buy one cause he lives down in FL. This was the biggest and best CRT WIDESCREEN ever made! I just wanted to give everyone a heads up here in CRT land.

Cheers
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 23 Old 10-21-2006, 06:16 PM

Hi Folks,

My new Loewe Aconda 38" shows only blue colour picture through component...Any ideas?

Rgds,
Andy.
post #3 of 23 Old 11-07-2006, 08:00 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Quote:
Originally Posted by bhootnut View Post

Hi Folks,

My new Loewe Aconda 38" shows only blue colour picture through component...Any ideas?

Rgds,
Andy.

My idea would be get new cables or call a service tech to fix the component connections in back
post #4 of 23 Old 01-20-2007, 03:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bhootnut View Post

Hi Folks,

Rgds,
Andy.

You might have swapped two of the cables... made mine go all green once doing that.
post #5 of 23 Old 01-20-2007, 04:09 PM
AVS Special Member

That TV looks old.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #6 of 23 Old 01-20-2007, 04:27 PM

That TV kicks butt I will say that. I had the RCA F38310 from 2002-today, which uses the same picture tube and guts. The picture those things put out is nothing short of awesome. Yes they may be a bit "soft" looking in comparison to the microdisplays of today, but they more than make up for it in color and most importantly blacks and contrast. The bad thing is there is only 1 HD component input and it will not accept 720p or 1080p. But the RCA at least, had 2 digital OTA tuners and also a built in Directv HD tuner.
post #7 of 23 Old 01-20-2007, 04:47 PM
AVS Special Member

It's not even flat.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #8 of 23 Old 01-20-2007, 06:40 PM

Thats right the Conda is curved(boooooo). Its not flat at all, with that said, why would one call this King? I Like my Sony KV-40xbr800. Yeah its a 40,its flat, it does 1080i and 720P So......
post #9 of 23 Old 01-20-2007, 10:06 PM

Curved is technically better than flat when it comes to CRT's, flat is basically a compromise in PQ for better aesthetics; I always thought the Panasonic shape (right before the Tau series) was probably the best design as it was just slightly curved.
post #10 of 23 Old 01-20-2007, 10:08 PM

but curved allows more reflection, and a lower viewable image angle(sitting offsides). which is bad. With a flat tube poeple can see the picture from the tube at more of an angle. Like if you sitting 5 feet to the right or left of the tv you can see the screen. NOw if you have the curve aka bubble your veiwable angle shrinks. And you also can get alot more reflection from background lights, lamps, whatever.
post #11 of 23 Old 01-21-2007, 05:16 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by soloist3 View Post

Curved is technically better than flat when it comes to CRT's, flat is basically a compromise in PQ for better aesthetics; I always thought the Panasonic shape (right before the Tau series) was probably the best design as it was just slightly curved.

LOL!! Curved Tube is better. That's why manufacturer are making flat tube
now instead of curve, just to piss us off.

post #12 of 23 Old 01-22-2007, 09:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by like.no.other. View Post

LOL!! Curved Tube is better. That's why manufacturer are making flat tube
now instead of curve, just to piss us off.

For CRT's curved gives much better convergence.
post #13 of 23 Old 01-23-2007, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamare View Post

but curved allows more reflection, and a lower viewable image angle(sitting offsides). which is bad. With a flat tube poeple can see the picture from the tube at more of an angle. Like if you sitting 5 feet to the right or left of the tv you can see the screen. NOw if you have the curve aka bubble your veiwable angle shrinks. And you also can get alot more reflection from background lights, lamps, whatever.

I own one of these (an Aconda 9383), bought new in Oct'03. Yes, the curved screen allows more reflections -- I have to turn off all lights in the room except up near the tv, i.e. out of reflection range. Also, the picture tube glass is a bit more reflective than what we've become used to with, say, computer LCD monitors -- obviously anti-reflection coating technology has advanced in the intervening years.

And yes, it has only one component video input, which accepts just 480i, 480p, or 1080i. And yes, the German you-will-do-it-right connection menus are a pain... And yes, it weighs over 200 lbs.

So why am I crazy about this tv and still have it? Because the image quality is incredible. It originally caught my eye when I walked into a high-end A/V store in Palo Alto... all of the display TVs were showing the same program material, it was two guys talking. On all of the other TVs, the white guy looked orange, and the African-American guy looked purple. On the Loewes, they looked like... human beings. Now I know a lot of this can be fixed with proper calibration of the other sets, and yes, most manufacturers crank up the settings to catch consumers' eyes in the showroom. But out of the box, Loewe PQ is near-perfect.

Also the onboard de-interlacer works like a dream.

You really should view one some time.

It's just a crying shame Loewe exited the American market.
post #14 of 23 Old 01-23-2007, 02:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jamare View Post

Trust me this tv has a 180 degree viewing angle and there are no reflections. This tv was $5,000 when it first came out so you are paying for the best quality all around. This tv still blows out every single tv on the market in terms of PQ.

This tv makes SD pictures a dream to watch. Also that s-video "3-D super movie mode"(owners know what im talking about) is unreal. Have you owners ever watched finding Nemo on this tv?
post #15 of 23 Old 01-23-2007, 03:17 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by locomo View Post

For CRT's curved gives much better convergence.

There is no convergence on a CRT Tube TV. There is convergence
in CRT Rear Projection but not in CRT. So you really failed on making
a bad reason for Flat CRT's. If you asked anyone in manufacturer
or engineer, they will say flat is better.

post #16 of 23 Old 01-24-2007, 11:51 AM

actually his statement about curved is correct. Curved does allow better convergence. But flat is better(less reflection, higher viewable angle). With a flat tube manufacturers need to make better yokes, and filters in order to make uniform PQ across the tube. Its harder to do on a flat versus a curved tube. So a curved tube design is actually cutting corners to make ok PQ, while a flat tube of the same size requires more technology, know-how, and better designers. All said a flat Sony kv-40xbr800 TUBE is still better than 38 aconda curved tube. Bottom line. Actually almost any TV under 40inches. Also "if" a aconda could be rated at 180 viewable angle then a flat would be 210-230 viewable angle. So really you need to back those numbers down to reality.
post #17 of 23 Old 01-24-2007, 07:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 196
The REAL truth is that the 40XBR800 was the greatest set ever for SD becuase it could do 960i which was a perfect multiple of 480. The 40XBRR800 gave you 37 inches when viewed in widescreen mode and was more detailed than the 38-inch LOEWE BUT

The 38-inch Loewe had the best color accuracy on any direct-view ever made BUT

The Sony 34XBR960 had the greatest Detail of any direct-view ever made.

All three sets are better than anything still being made. It's a shame that Direct-view CRT production of such sets was halted--it wasn't becuse no money could be made on them--it was because much more could be made by Sony in particular on Rear Projection LCD sets.

The big hulabaloo about curved tubes is much adieux over nothing--to be sure tubes with alot of curvature had their problems--but all of these sets just mentioned blow away every Direct-view CRT that is currently being produced and when it comes to black levels they all put current Flat Panel LCDs in the toilet!

If I could buy a new unused 38-inch Loewe and were in the market I would certainly buy one.

My mom has a 40XBR800 and it is truely awesome and Sony 34XBR960s were about the pinacle when it comes to Direct-view CRT greatness!
post #18 of 23 Old 01-25-2007, 02:17 PM

I guess what I should have said is that flat screen CRT's are better in theory but rarely in application. Sony is just about the only company that I think ever got it right (if I remember correctly it took them a generation or two of flat CRT's to get the yoke right). Also, it seems to me that most companies, other than Sony, did not really ever make totally flat screens, I mean, yes, they made totally flat front glass but the inside shadow mask was curved slightly (similar to the pre-Tau Panasonics). The "flashlight" effect is the probably the most prominent problem with flat CRT's because as the beam scans further from the center the beam spot turns into more of an elliptical shape, there are ways to compensate but curving the tube slightly is a much easier way of dealing with the problem. Also, I have not really ever noticed a significant increase in reflections, while I am sure it is probably true, I usually always place my TV's in areas with very little ambient light.
post #19 of 23 Old 01-26-2007, 07:26 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Artwood View Post

The REAL truth is that the 40XBR800 was the greatest set ever for SD becuase it could do 960i which was a perfect multiple of 480. The 40XBRR800 gave you 37 inches when viewed in widescreen mode and was more detailed than the 38-inch LOEWE BUT

The 38-inch Loewe had the best color accuracy on any direct-view ever made BUT

The Sony 34XBR960 had the greatest Detail of any direct-view ever made.

All three sets are better than anything still being made. It's a shame that Direct-view CRT production of such sets was halted--it wasn't becuse no money could be made on them--it was because much more could be made by Sony in particular on Rear Projection LCD sets.

The big hulabaloo about curved tubes is much adieux over nothing--to be sure tubes with alot of curvature had their problems--but all of these sets just mentioned blow away every Direct-view CRT that is currently being produced and when it comes to black levels they all put current Flat Panel LCDs in the toilet!

If I could buy a new unused 38-inch Loewe and were in the market I would certainly buy one.

My mom has a 40XBR800 and it is truely awesome and Sony 34XBR960s were about the pinacle when it comes to Direct-view CRT greatness!

Isnt that 40xbr800 a 4:3 set? That is a big negative in my book. That being said the Aconda is 16x9 and by it being 38" it is better than the 34xbr960. Now that Sony is a nice set and if I didnt find my Loewe at the price I paid I would definitely get that Sony. Also that Aconda does 960i as well which is why SD looks great on it.

Yes you are correct there is not a tv on the market right now that can compete with these 3 and the public has been swindled by merchants and salespersons. I hate going to my brother in-laws house to watch his 50 inch LCD to see jaggies and horrible SD channels.
post #20 of 23 Old 01-26-2007, 07:58 AM

edited
post #21 of 23 Old 01-26-2007, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 196
How much longer will Sony produce 34-inch sets of any type--once that is gone that's just about it for Direct-view CRT.

I wonder if any Chinese company would consider making 34-inch Direct-view sets?
post #22 of 23 Old 01-26-2007, 06:30 PM

I wish Samsung would do a 34" slimfit
post #23 of 23 Old 01-27-2007, 05:54 PM

You said it New27, I had hoped that Samsung would make a 34" Slimfit ever since they came out.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page