Sony 36xbr400 jaggies? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 11-28-2006, 11:45 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I just got a 36xbr400 and I see jagged edges on some s-video hooked dvds and on the tv-out s-video signal from my laptop. cable signal picture from a non-digital settop box via coax looks kind of fuzzy, the text on the bottom of those cable news channels is definitely fuzzy.

Are there any service code adjustments I can try to clear up these picture issues?

I have tried various combinations on the regular menu settings, sharpness and vm velocity modulation high/med/low/off and the drc-mf setting switched between interlaced/progressive doesn't seem to change much.

It looks like an upscaling zooming issue or something, anything I can do to minimize the effect?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 11-28-2006, 01:58 PM

Liked: 10
While I am not versed in a solution to your stated issue, I do have interest in the replies, as I have the same television. Moreover, if anyone would be willing to share their display settings I would greatly appreciate and input.
post #3 of 6 Old 11-30-2006, 12:18 PM - Thread Starter

What would be the native resolution for the 36xbr400?

I'd like to get around the poor scaling of this set by outputting a signal that it won't need to scale.

I have a laptop with s-video output, 800x600 looks decent but still shows jagged edges on both 480p and 720p .wmv files.

If I run the xbr400 at 1024x768 it actually shows geometry distortions on the desktop, the bottom-right corner seems to hook outwardly, but not at 800x600, only at 1024x768. I'm hoping there is a service code to adjust the geometry in a particular corner, otherwise I suppose having a magnet added would be necessary?

I know xbr400 is one of those old models thats only a pseudo-HD/"HD-ready" set, the xbr400 is definitely not an SFP tube right?

I also get poor picture quality from SD analog cable without a converter, going straight from the wall outlet to the coax input of the xbr400, it looks fuzzy from 4-5 feet, the text especially, the picture quality on text almost looks like jpeg artifacts in photoshop if you save an image with a very low quality setting. Is there some kind of scaling going on for an SD cable signal? I thought the xbr400 should handle standard definition NTSC 480i well enough.

I may be asking the wrong questions but if someone can set me straight on some of these xbr400 issues I'd really appreciate it.
post #4 of 6 Old 11-30-2006, 01:40 PM
AVS Special Member

1st off you are using s-video ... doesn't matter what you set your resolution to the video card is outputting 480i so the set would either display it as a 480i signal or has to upscale it ( kinda defeating the point ).

Eric

"Any technology distinguishable from magic is insufficiently advanced" - corollary to Clark's Third Law
post #5 of 6 Old 11-30-2006, 01:57 PM - Thread Starter

Thanks, I was wondering about s-video, as 800x600 or 1024x768 seemed to give the same jagged edges.

I also have a component cable that plugs into the same laptop port, it splits into 3 cables, color-coded blue green red, but that cable seems to be outputting in black and white right now.

If I'm able to get it working properly, what tv-out resolution should I set the component output to? do I need to set a custom mode in the videocard like 720x480?

Is 480i the native resolution of the 36xbr400? I always thought native resolutions only really mattered to LCDs etc.

My real issue is that I see scaling problems, and I want to try and fix it.

I figured outputting a signal that matches the native resolution of the display won't need to be scaled so it won't show these jagged edges. Is that the right way to go about it?
post #6 of 6 Old 02-26-2007, 02:20 PM

I'd also be interested in seeing other user's picture settings. Can't seem to find any active threads for this TV anywhere.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page