Fix Overscan Phillips 30PW9100D? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 59 Old 12-01-2006, 07:30 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Is there any way to fix the overscan problem on the Phillips 30PW9100D HDTV? A lot of the information and picture is cut off on the top, bottom and sides and I was curious if there a simple fix to this? Below is the HDTV which I have.

http://reviews.cnet.com/Philips_30PW...-31420586.html
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 59 Old 12-01-2006, 10:13 PM
Super Moderator

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 117 Post(s)
Liked: 295
moved

Walking the fine line between jaw-dropping and a plain ol' yawn.
post #3 of 59 Old 12-04-2006, 10:59 PM

To get to the SAM (Service ...something.. Menu), I type 062596 [Info] (while in analog mode) and then you can go to Geometry where there are a plethora of options to change.

My biggest problem with this set is the "ghosting" I experience. Does yours have any of that?
post #4 of 59 Old 12-09-2006, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinessiseasy View Post

To get to the SAM (Service ...something.. Menu), I type 062596 [Info] (while in analog mode) and then you can go to Geometry where there are a plethora of options to change.

My biggest problem with this set is the "ghosting" I experience. Does yours have any of that?

my tv ghosts as well.

i'm not sure how to fix this.. do you have any clue?

im going to be calling philips tomorrow morning about this. i got this tv unit TODAY! :/
post #5 of 59 Old 12-13-2006, 04:08 PM

I returned mine, mostly because of the ghosting, but also because it turned off on me and wouldn't turn back on. I got my money back and picked up the Symphonic WF32L6. It's an LCD and it's only a little more ($600 MSRP) than the Philips.
post #6 of 59 Old 12-27-2006, 04:03 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Sorry for responding so late. Still no luck with the overscan issue. Any more suggestions or advice?
post #7 of 59 Old 12-29-2006, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by happinessiseasy View Post

I returned mine, mostly because of the ghosting, but also because it turned off on me and wouldn't turn back on. I got my money back and picked up the Symphonic WF32L6. It's an LCD and it's only a little more ($600 MSRP) than the Philips.

hahah, i did the same exact thing with the philips, and also got the same LCD, i couldnt be happier now
post #8 of 59 Old 01-11-2007, 04:28 PM

So I have the PHILIPS 9110D model a little newer than 9100D, but I have big overscaning, there's the pics below as you can see! So does anyone know what #s should I put in for the geometry settings at the service menu to get it right??? Did anyone did this with this or an older model yet, how did it go???

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #9 of 59 Old 01-12-2007, 11:47 AM

^^^ anyone??

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #10 of 59 Old 01-13-2007, 02:01 PM

So I guess no one did!?

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #11 of 59 Old 01-13-2007, 05:11 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 235 Post(s)
Liked: 315
If your set's under warranty... call for service.
post #12 of 59 Old 01-14-2007, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ratman View Post

If your set's under warranty... call for service.

I did! A Philips technician came down here and said "ahhhhh this is not a TVs problem, it's the PS3s not proper 16:9 ratio!" I was like okkk! how is this not a TVs overscan, it's on all 16:9 channals as well not just on gaming! He was like ohhh it's a common thing there's nothing wrong with it! So he refused to fix it by proving me that this is a normal thing all TVs suffer!

So I gave my hopes away and decided to ask you guys, if you could help me!

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #13 of 59 Old 01-14-2007, 11:31 AM

Liked: 11
Shurik,

I have the exact same model TV you do, and When I play the XB 360 through it I get the same overscannng - I only notice it on a few games because of the game's HUD (in Marvel Ultimate Alliance it drove me crazy).
I noticed it also happens in regular DVD movies (I have an upconvert DVD player going through the HDMI port). So it's gotta be something with the TV.

My TV is still under extended warranty to I'll call Phillips and see if they can get a tech to look at it - hopefully I won't get the same response as you did from your tech. I don't want to go in the service menu for fear of really messing up the TV.

Oh and my roomate's brother brought over his PS3 and hooked it up to my TV so I can see how it looks on my TV, and we noticed the exact same thing as your screenshot of The Playstation Store. I didn't notice it in Resistance or any of the other demos he had.. Didn't try Grand Tourismo demo.
Also, do you run your PS3 through HDMI? That's how I hooked it up on my TV, and it would not play any BluRay movies. My roomate's brother said something that the HDMI port on the TV is not HDCP compliant or something, and it won't work until Sony fixes it in a firmware upgrade..
post #14 of 59 Old 01-15-2007, 02:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sinistar83 View Post

Shurik,

I have the exact same model TV you do, and When I play the XB 360 through it I get the same overscannng - I only notice it on a few games because of the game's HUD (in Marvel Ultimate Alliance it drove me crazy).
I noticed it also happens in regular DVD movies (I have an upconvert DVD player going through the HDMI port). So it's gotta be something with the TV.

My TV is still under extended warranty to I'll call Phillips and see if they can get a tech to look at it - hopefully I won't get the same response as you did from your tech. I don't want to go in the service menu for fear of really messing up the TV.

Oh and my roomate's brother brought over his PS3 and hooked it up to my TV so I can see how it looks on my TV, and we noticed the exact same thing as your screenshot of The Playstation Store. I didn't notice it in Resistance or any of the other demos he had.. Didn't try Grand Tourismo demo.
Also, do you run your PS3 through HDMI? That's how I hooked it up on my TV, and it would not play any BluRay movies. My roomate's brother said something that the HDMI port on the TV is not HDCP compliant or something, and it won't work until Sony fixes it in a firmware upgrade..

Thanks for the response! yeah defenately keep me updated on how it will go with your TV when tech will come by! I'll also try calling again and ask another tech to come over and fix this problem.
Well I did play my PS3 with the HDMI cable! I didn't play Blue Ray DVDs though, just didn't try. But I did use if for the games and I couldn't tell any difference from the regular blue, green component HD cable!

BTW when you put your TV on mute, is your mute icon cut half way on top of the screen as well? If yess that's weird, why did Philips didn't correct that?

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #15 of 59 Old 01-15-2007, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurik View Post

Thanks for the response! yeah defenately keep me updated on how it will go with your TV when tech will come by! I'll also try calling again and ask another tech to come over and fix this problem.
Well I did play my PS3 with the HDMI cable! I didn't play Blue Ray DVDs though, just didn't try. But I did use if for the games and I couldn't tell any difference from the regular blue, green component HD cable!

BTW when you put your TV on mute, is your mute icon cut half way on top of the screen as well? If yess that's weird, why did Philips didn't correct that?

OK, I will call them tomorrow after work to see if I can get a tech to come out here.

Please try playing a BluRay movie via HDMI and let me know if it works. I think the one we tried was Kingdom of Heaven.

When I put my TV on mute, I don't notice the icon halfway cut on the top. it is touching the edge of the screen though, and I can read the "MUTE" letters. It always stays in the same place whenever I toggle the aspect ratio.
post #16 of 59 Old 01-16-2007, 11:23 AM

Quote:

OK, I will call them tomorrow after work to see if I can get a tech to come out here.

Please try playing a BluRay movie via HDMI and let me know if it works. I think the one we tried was Kingdom of Heaven.

When I put my TV on mute, I don't notice the icon halfway cut on the top. it is touching the edge of the screen though, and I can read the "MUTE" letters. It always stays in the same place whenever I toggle the aspect ratio.

Yeah I guess I might call them up again as well! They might ignore me this time, but who knows!
yeah I'll try watching my Blue ray DVD with HDMI, see how it'll work!

Hey btw do you have a ghosting images problem on the TV? and those ghosting vertical moving lines when you watch something on 1080i resolution? If yes try telling him to fix it as well when tech will come in! See what he'll say!
Well keep me updated bro! Seeya

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #17 of 59 Old 01-16-2007, 12:44 PM

I had this tv for about three months before retuning it for a sony xbr970. I fixed the over scan issue my self using a sevice manual i found on a differnt thread. it is technical but fairly easy to correct the over scan, but the PQ on my set was worse than my old standard def. I had bought the CC extended waranty and after three sevrice calls the PQ was unbearable, so I just returned it.
post #18 of 59 Old 01-16-2007, 06:07 PM

Shurik, I don't notice any ghosting images on my TV.. Keep me posted on the PS3 HDMI movies.

outatime2001, can you link to the service manual? I may have to resort to it if the Philips Tech won't fix it. Thanks.
post #19 of 59 Old 01-19-2007, 09:43 PM

Quote:

Shurik, I don't notice any ghosting images on my TV.. Keep me posted on the PS3 HDMI movies.

outatime2001, can you link to the service manual? I may have to resort to it if the Philips Tech won't fix it. Thanks.

Well ok I pluged my HDMI back to check if I can watch BD DVDs! And yes I can view the BD DVDs with the HDMI imput on my Philips, but for some reason it didn't want to work from the beginning? When I tryed entering the disk the TV screen just went black and didn't show anything from the beginning! I tried doing the same thing a couple times and finally it started working!!! Now it works perfectly fine!

Well any new updates with your Philips?

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #20 of 59 Old 01-19-2007, 11:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Shurik View Post

Well ok I pluged my HDMI back to check if I can watch BD DVDs! And yes I can view the BD DVDs with the HDMI imput on my Philips, but for some reason it didn't want to work from the beginning? When I tryed entering the disk the TV screen just went black and didn't show anything from the beginning! I tried doing the same thing a couple times and finally it started working!!! Now it works perfectly fine!

Well any new updates with your Philips?

So you just played the movies a few times and it worked all of a sudden, or did you skip chapters? Did you try multiple movies?

I called Phillips and they had a local repair shop who I've dealt with in the past (that I didn't care for) call me on Thursday, left a message and I've called them back a few times with no answer. I'm going to call Phillips again to request help from another repair shop.
post #21 of 59 Old 01-20-2007, 01:38 PM

Quote:

So you just played the movies a few times and it worked all of a sudden, or did you skip chapters? Did you try multiple movies?

I called Phillips and they had a local repair shop who I've dealt with in the past (that I didn't care for) call me on Thursday, left a message and I've called them back a few times with no answer. I'm going to call Phillips again to request help from another repair shop.

Yeah the BD DVD works now! I only have one BD DVD so that's the only one I can watch, but I'm prett sure it will play the rest perfectly fine! I didn't skip chapters to make it work! There's the thread I read yesterday about this same problem ppl come across when they try doing the same thing! Some TVs need to be set up in order to play BD DVDs with HDMI connection, but some don't have that problem! It's like the TV and the PS3 adopt together when HDMI is used! It'll eventually work of course!

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #22 of 59 Old 01-21-2007, 03:05 PM

One way I can tell for sure that my TV has overscannning issues is to use the THX Optimizer tools that comes on a bunch of different DVDs (I have it on the Who Framed Roger Rabbit DVD). Anyways, when I play it on my TV, I can't see the left border at all, the other borders are really close to the edge. i Ihink there's supposed to be a 1/2 inch leeway on each edge.
This only happens in HD CVI or HDMI modes. The regular analog or digital tuners are fine.
post #23 of 59 Old 01-23-2007, 04:15 PM

Sinister, so did the tech come in to do the work for the TV?

BTW if the overscan will be fixed on the HD modes, will the regular anolog underscan ow what? You see what I mean?

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #24 of 59 Old 01-23-2007, 04:23 PM

No he didn't fix the TV yet. I spoke with them and thy have to see when they can fit me in to the schedule.. Hopefully soon.

And I think they can fix the overscan on certain video inputs, I think if they change it on one, it won't change on all.
post #25 of 59 Old 01-24-2007, 01:14 PM

You know when I called them! I told them about this overscan issure that I have, and they were like "a what, what issue?" They didn't even know what an overscan is!
The last time the tech came in here he told me that it was the PS3s issue not the TVs! I showed him some HD channals with the overscan and he was like "ohhh and this is all up to the stations, how they'll deliver the channal stats." he told me sooo much BS that I was lost, he started to educate me on things that my brain couldn't even catch up to at that time when he was talking!
Well how did you explain to them about this issue?

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #26 of 59 Old 01-24-2007, 05:09 PM

I just told them on some inputs that the picture is larger than is should be, it bleeds over the edge of rthe screen so you can't see the edges.

If they try that with me (saying its the fault of the Xbox 360) well I will plug my XB into my monitor when I'm here and show them. Also I have an HDMI DVD player to show them that it's the fault of the TV, not devices.

You should get another tech to come and look at your issue and call Philips that it's not fixed, and request a tech to come from a differnt repair shop so you're sure to get a differnt person.
post #27 of 59 Old 01-25-2007, 02:01 PM

Ok thanks bro, I'll try calling them sometime soon again! Keep me updated as well!

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #28 of 59 Old 01-31-2007, 11:01 AM

Ok I called Philips for another tech service! They said they'll call me Friday for the apointment! I hope they'll send different tech this time, and fix this annoying problem!

Well any updates with your thing?

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #29 of 59 Old 02-02-2007, 08:19 AM

Ok, Television Services the only place around here that agreed to come to the house and check out my TV's problem last time, called today and said something that made me REALY PISSED!!!! They said that "this overscan or whatever that is needs to be fixed at our place, we need to hook it up to the computer and run the TV through to see if it has an overscan or etc.!" I was speechless!!!! How hard is it to see if 3" of the image of all the sides is being cut off (overscaned)???? They've been here before, they saw it,.........aaaaaahhhhhhhhh are they freacking newbs or something, can't even come and calibrate this simple problem that many ppl can fix on their own? I mean you get into the service menu and change the #s! The only thing that kept me from doing it on my own, is I didn't want to void the warranty!
Ohhhh how tired and mad I'm from those "proffesional technicians" that can't fix and don't even know what that simple thing is!

OK, I'm on the mission for fixing this thing myself!

SHURIK

SHIFT_ Nissan.
post #30 of 59 Old 02-18-2007, 09:56 PM

Is there any way to fix this overscan problem myself, without the OEM remote?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays