Sony KD-27FS170 : Some questions that remain for this potential buyer - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 10 Old 12-31-2006, 05:26 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I've read as much as I can in the last three days here and other places, and given that my forum searches got weird results, and I'm unable to locate any recent thread to extend, I'm asking of present or prior owners:

1) Appears to have separate antenna inputs for analog vs digital...I only have the one coax from my antenna, so do I just use a splitter and a couple of short patch cables? And are there any real short (like 6") cables that would work for this, if that is needed?

2) Are there any features that you really love? Or really hate? The "favorites" handling seems to be a nice feature...is it really? I also like the separation of analog/digital channels as it appears to make channel switching much quicker when in analog mode...like I'm used to on old Panasonic!

3) Would you still buy this again? Or did you switch from it and why?

I've read enough about Samsung issues that I'm now leary of going that way...and there wasn't any killer feature that similar model had, so...

My habits are watching OTA stuff and SD is fine enough for me now, as HD res wouldn't be that much of a bonus..given how long I've watched this set with its blurry pix! So my needs are minimal...

Thanks.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 10 Old 01-03-2007, 03:06 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
1. You could use a splitter. I'm personally using an A/B switch. My Fox and CBS stations will supposedly be at full power soon, so hopefully I won't need to use the switch much after that.

2. I've got a problem with the picture when watching things from my PC, but that might not really be the TV's fault..? *shrug* There is a thin, black, horizontal line at the very bottom of the picture that is visible when I switch to 16:9. I can't find a way to crop it, so I have to live with it when I'm watching 16:9 stuff. It isn't there when watching digital OTA; only when I'm watching off my PC. This TV has some geometry problems and whatnot, as you would pretty much expect from any flat screen CRT TV. You'll probably notice an obvious problem on the bottom right of the screen. Also, on mine, horizontal lines bend toward the center on the far left and right. There is a thick, vertical "gray bar" visible on the left side of the screen when the screen is black or near-black; you will usually only notice this when the screen is "blank," or during movie credits, etc. Thin black lines against a light background and some other high contrast stuff will "shake"; that isn't usually a problem during normal viewing, but you'll see what I'm talking about if you look at a sharpness test pattern or something. I assume you already know this, but this TV does not have any audio outs. Automatic "v-compression" when watching digital OTA is nice. Switching to 16:9 mode for an input device, however, is a PITA. You have to go through the menu to do it. I programmed a macro on my learning remote to make it less annoying. Oh, something else: digital OTA is damn loud on this TV. It doesn't bother me, but if you like to fall asleep with the TV on, watch TV while someone else is sleeping, etc., then it could be a problem. And you will definitely need to adjust the volume when you switch between digital and analog. There is minor red push, but maybe like 15%, it's really not a big deal. The 27" does not have a tilt control like the 32" and 36" FS170s. That wasn't a problem for me, but I've heard several people complain about the screen being tilted. If you buy a TV with that problem, you may want to exchange it. Because AFAIK, it can't be corrected from the menus on this model. I might be wrong about this, but I don't think this TV has an option to display captions only while muted. That seems odd if it's true, but it's not something that I care about. I don't use the favorites feature.

3. I think so. I'd be much happier with a widescreen HDTV. But I needed something cheap, and I didn't trust those cheap HDTVs from Insignia and RCA. I got this for around $300 a few months ago, and I guess that's fair. If I'd bought this for around $250, I'd feel much better about it. The most inexcusably chintzy thing about this TV is that it doesn't have audio outs. Boooo! I can live with that, though. It also doesn't have a QAM tuner, but I don't need that. The only other thing that really bothers me is that damn black line on my screen when I'm watching widescreen movies and stuff, but I've never heard anyone else mention that. I think it might have something to do with my source, but I really don't know. I really wish the geometry was better, but it doesn't bother me too much.

FWIW, I'm pretty anti-Sony, so I tried to find something else to buy. From what I saw, there just weren't any other SDTVs with PQ as good as the Sony. And some 4:3 SDTVs don't have a 16:9 mode, and that was the one thing that I considered a deal breaker. BTW, if you've been watching analog OTA, you'll probably be pretty happy watching digital OTA on an SDTV. It's obviously not HD, but it's still a massive improvement.
post #3 of 10 Old 01-03-2007, 08:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Here's an entire thread dedicated to this topic:

http://www.avsforum.com/avs-vb/showt...ighlight=fs170

Cheers!
post #4 of 10 Old 01-03-2007, 09:33 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by MechanicalMan View Post

2. I've got a problem with the picture when watching things from my PC,

First, I wish to really THANK you for your nice and detailed reply! It gave me more confidence in buying this set...
But...I'm a bit confused: "Watching things from my PC"? Bear with me...how do you do so?

Regarding volume: As I get older (now 50+-), I find having it a bit louder helps!
Regarding audio outs: Not an issue as I only use built-in speakers (no room for anything else here!)

About price: The current average here is $400, and on sale, $360 or so..

Justsc: Thanks also for that pointer to other thread! I hadn't found that when doing search, so now should anyone look for info, they can use THIS thread to find that one!
post #5 of 10 Old 01-03-2007, 03:53 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhallgren View Post

But...I'm a bit confused: "Watching things from my PC"? Bear with me...how do you do so?

I have this TV in the same room as my desktop, so I have my video card connected to the TV with s-video. I just use my PC to watch DVDs and whatnot.

Quote:

About price: The current average here is $400, and on sale, $360 or so..

Well, that's something that I don't like about this TV. $400 is very expensive for a 27" SDTV. FWIW, Best Buy used to regularly include this TV in the Wednesday sale for not much over $300. I bought it at Circuit City with 110% pricematch to the sale price at Best Buy. I don't know if it is still going on sale that low.
post #6 of 10 Old 01-05-2007, 11:12 PM - Thread Starter

While in B-Buy tonight for some other things, I took a look at their display model of this set...pix looked decent...BUT...when I brought up menu, it was doing (what I can best describe as) a wiggle or shimmy...the left and right edges of menu were flexing in and out in sort of an "S" curve depending it seemed on what background pix was doing...I'm used to menus being very fixed and not acting like jello...so should this one incident affect my decision?
post #7 of 10 Old 01-06-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by jhallgren View Post

While in B-Buy tonight for some other things, I took a look at their display model of this set...pix looked decent...BUT...when I brought up menu, it was doing (what I can best describe as) a wiggle or shimmy...the left and right edges of menu were flexing in and out in sort of an "S" curve depending it seemed on what background pix was doing...I'm used to menus being very fixed and not acting like jello...so should this one incident affect my decision?

My advice is don't let demo sets affect your thinking on any account. These sets are running in torch mode from the factory to look good on brightly lit showroom floors and that can skew PQ terribly.

From my experience with those who've bought this set and posted here, the majority are very pleased. Since the audio-out problem is not an issue for you, it seems you are an ideal candidate for this set.

Good Luck!
post #8 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Well, today I found out that I waited a bit too long to buy a new one!
Turned on the Panasonic (11 yrs old) and colors had blown!
Blob of red at top, green in middle and blue at bottom...
So moved the little 13" set from the dining room in living room and will use that till I get replacement...
I'm also dealing with a credit card company that is being a PITA to get a card issued so I can buy it with that and get extended warranty via card company....so more delays...
post #9 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 09:12 PM
Advanced Member

You might want to consider the 30" Toshiba SDTV that is on sale this week.
post #10 of 10 Old 01-29-2007, 10:16 PM - Thread Starter

Three reasons why that Toshiba wouldn't work for me:
1) Space! I barely have room for a 27" as existing set is only 20" though cabinet is designed to max out at 27", but room layout prevents any bigger cabinet...
2) Tried another Toshiba model...within 15 min of unpacking it, I was packing it back up again...didn't like how they had handled the ATSC tuner issue...liked the Sony better.
3) Won't get credit card for maybe another week to 10-12 days...need to wait on that...
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page