Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 06:52 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey, all -

I just wanted to relate how happy I made my Mom and Dad over the holidays. I replaced their old 27" (RF input only) Sanyo CRT set with a really nice JVC 32" AV-32D501 that I won on eBay for about $70. The AV-32D501 is a pretty high end TV... with a near flat Full Square Dark Tinted Picture Tube, 800 line aperture grill, component video input (480i), etc. They were about $850 when new in 2000-2001.

The image quality of this TV is simply outstanding. It is like night and day compared to what they were used to. DVD's look amazing through the component video input.

While it is not a widescreen digital TV, this will definitely do the job for them while prices continue to drop on the newer technology displays.

I myself have a Toshiba 62HM116 62" 1080p DLP and love it... but they are not ready to invest into something like that for themselves.

My point is that these four and five year old high end CRT's are real bargains now, and make a great upgrade for many people.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 07:17 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
There are some nice TVs in the free section of Craiglist. People will get rid of them for nothing as long as people will pick them up.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-04-2007, 01:52 PM

Location: United Kingdom ( I dont see any Kingdom though.... )
superb............ also, whilst prices of lcd plasmas will drop, their quality may never ever match that of CRT........

CRT technology is unbeatable for viewing moving images............yes its bulky, but most tvs are placed in the corner of the room anyway...........

if I owned a plasma or lcd tv, I would never turn it on..............horrible horrible things, that the public seem to have fallen in love with................
post #4 of 9 Old 01-07-2007, 06:01 PM
cpc
AVS Club Gold

I owned a JVC 32D201 for a few years and I loved it. We just upgraded my mom from a 20" JVC to an AV27503 and even that TV looks good and sharp compared to others.
post #5 of 9 Old 04-14-2008, 05:52 PM

Just picked up a used 4 year old toshiba 32af43 for $175. The guy showed me the original receipt - $750! I still watch lots of VHS so a HD LCD was out of the question (plus husband didn't want to get one, period). This is really a gorgeous set. Of course it's big (140 lbs) but otherwise I am very satisfied. there are a lot of t hese on Craigslist.
post #6 of 9 Old 04-15-2008, 07:24 AM

I found a Sony KV-34XBR910 complete with the stand for $300 off craigslist. For peeps like me who are looking to upgrade an older standard definition CRT this is an enormous step up in image quality. Top of the line HDTV for pennies on the dollar.

High quality used CRTs are some of the best deals on the planet right now.
post #7 of 9 Old 04-15-2008, 08:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Looks like I will be getting a 30hs420 for $225 this weekend. Due to weight considerations I really wanted a 30" set and they seem a bit harder to find. I would love a 30xs955 and will keep my eyes peeled for one. While I think I got the 30hs420 at a good but not great price, it is still not the deal that I got on my main display device a Barco 808s Data CRT front projector which cost me $700 in 2005 and the government $22,000 in 1997. It's construction and quality leaves consumer grade direct views in the dust (as it should given its original retail price).
post #8 of 9 Old 04-15-2008, 10:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
Quote:
Originally Posted by ag studios View Post

superb............ also, whilst prices of lcd plasmas will drop, their quality may never ever match that of CRT........

CRT technology is unbeatable for viewing moving images............yes its bulky, but most tvs are placed in the corner of the room anyway...........

if I owned a plasma or lcd tv, I would never turn it on..............horrible horrible things, that the public seem to have fallen in love with................

Well.. ive always been a diehard CRT fan and currently own a 34XBR960, 32HS510 and I'm typing this on a GDM-FW900 PC CRT .. But I recently purchased a Kuro 5080HD plasma and long story short my whole thought process on CRT's being superior has now changed.

Dont get me wrong I have no plans to get rid of my CRT's, they're all great, But its about time they came out with something in a big screen form that has amazing black levels and overall image quality.

p.s. im glad I read this thread because i have a good friend that needs a new tv, he recently bought an Xbox360 and it looks terrible on his 32" standard def "Admiral" brand CRT (It only has 1 Composite input and 1 coax.) ill have to tell him about craigslist.
post #9 of 9 Old 04-15-2008, 11:03 PM

"p.s. im glad I read this thread because i have a good friend that needs a new tv, he recently bought an Xbox360 and it looks terrible on his 32" standard def "Admiral" brand CRT (It only has 1 Composite input and 1 coax.) ill have to tell him about craigslist"

The HD CRTs are perfect for displaying consoles, both the current HD consoles and the older ones. They all look great on HD CRTs. That is all I use my 910 for is gaming.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page