Sanyo HT27745 Problems and Questions - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 04:52 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Excuse the long post. Thanks to any who actually read it all.

I already have a Sanyo 27" tube HDTV, HT27745 to be exact. It has worked fine since I bought it in Mar 2006. Only problem I have is that because it's a CRT, it overheats and will cause two ovals to appear on both sides of the screen. At least, I believe overheating is the cause of the problem though it can be quite cold in my house and they will appear and sometimes it can be quite hot and they won't show up. It is completely random and the size of the ovals varies, sometimes small, sometimes large. The ovals are symmetrical and appear on the left and right side, not the far sides but just to the left and the right of the exact center of the screen. The left side oval seems to desaturate whatever is inside of it, making everything dark white/ gray tinted, while the right oval seems to oversaturate whatever is inside of it, making everything yellow tinted, like piss to be honest.

Anyway, I've also noticed that when I play Gears of War on my 360, and sometimes even when I'm in the dashboard, there is an odd overscanning, if you will. I can't think of a better word than overscanning. It is more pronounced at 1080i than 720p but I have not narrowed it down to the TV, the 360 or both. If I look around the game world in GoW and focus on the screen, I can see a very fast, somewhat thick, white hued line that moves from left to right and is the entire height of the screen. On its first pass, many things on screen seem to have a purple tint, on the second pass, many things on screen seem to have a green tint and then everything seems "normal" for a few seconds. Then the cycle starts over, purple, green, "normal." I have heard of display problems with Gears of War so does anyone have any advice on how to determine whether it's the TV, the 360 or both? I don't think it's present while playing multiplayer. The overscanning isn't usually noticeable when there's action going on but if I look at the sides of buildings while exploring or looking at overhead lights from a distance, I can clearly see what I described above.

Samsung LN-T4061F (1008/1028 @ 1080p)
Xbox 360 @ 1080p | Xbox w/ XBMC @ 720p
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 6 Old 01-12-2007, 10:33 PM

I've heard of cases where the picture/brightness controls were turned up too high,
with a very bright image on the screen causing the shadow mask to distort and
the colors to get screwed up. It ony hjappens with excessive picture brightness,
and it's bad for the TV.

Is this what is happening?
post #3 of 6 Old 01-15-2007, 10:19 AM - Thread Starter

Were you referring to the discolored ovals on the TV or my problem with my 360?

I'm assuming it was about my TV problem because what you described sounds like a sensible explanation behind my problem. I first began to notice the problem when watching cartoons where the characters wore white shirts. And it shows up when switching to a channel with no signal just static. It's not as noticeable when watching normal things with normal colors.

So perhaps my brightness and/ or other settings are turned up too high? I'll experiment with them over the next few days and see if the ovals form after the TV is on for a certain length of time or if they show up after something bright appears on the screen.

Just in case you were actually referring to my 360 problem, I don't think so. The way I described it is the best way I can think to articulate the problem.

I played some multiplayer games tonight though and could not spot the problem while playing. So I am starting think it's a problem with the 360 itself or the game.

post #4 of 6 Old 01-15-2007, 12:15 PM

Don't know about the 360. To narrow it down, try it on a second TV and try and recreate
the problem. The situation I mentioned involves the shadow mask overheating, distortion
of the mask and area's of color/picture impurities showing up.
It's very bad for the TV. As you mentioned, try lowering the picture control to see if it goes
away.
Dave
post #5 of 6 Old 01-16-2007, 06:19 AM - Thread Starter

I played with the settings and I don't notice the discolored ovals that much even when light colors are on the screen.

My contrast was all the way up and the brightness was close to 75-80%. So I turned those down and things seemed to improve but I'll keep an eye on it.

Whatever damage is done is done. The discolored ovals still show up very slightly on static channels but like I said, I don't notice them like I used to. They were visible on virtually every signal except for very dark displays.

Thanks

post #6 of 6 Old 04-14-2008, 08:52 PM

I have had the same problem. I also posted a thread on this. This problem will only effect white images on the screen. Adjusting the constrast seems to help a little not the brightness. If the contrast is turned down to where this effect is minimal then you will barely see anything. I contacted Sanyo about this problem, and they said that they never heard of this before. Since my tv is under warranty they would look at it for me. And if it can't be repaired then they would replace my set. This problem will go away if a dark image is on the screen for about 1 min. If i find a solution I will let you know. I feel better knowing I am not the only one to have this problem.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page