still marvel at standard def sometimes - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 04:31 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I have a four yeal old JVC 20" crt which is 4-5 feet from a secondary PC I sometimes use, basic cable straight from the wall to the set.

From time to time I'm astonished at the clarity and sharpness on certain broadcasts, CSI Miami on A&E right now looks really good.

I'll go as far as to say that there have been times when the PQ was superior to some upconverted HD content on my other sets.

Granted, my other sets have not been calibrated, anyone else have similair
experiences?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 01-15-2007, 05:14 PM

I totally understand where you are coming from, small SD CRT's look unreal with, of course, SD material; it makes sense just think of the pixel and scanline density at that size. That is one of the reasons I prefer HD CRT's over Plasma and LCD think about it a 34" HD CRT will have approximately the same scanline density as a 13" 4:3 SD CRT, that combined with the unreal black levels of CRT make, IMO, CRT still the best display device out there, well that is unless Pioneer's new plasma's have as good of black levels as they say they do.
post #3 of 7 Old 01-16-2007, 01:53 AM
Advanced Member

yep but I have a KV-32HS510 and it is HD but I got a friend who has the same TV but the non HD verison it is not really SD it is a EDTV and using the component input itis 480p and dvd's look great

also I bring my XBOX and using the composite (Yellow) connector and XBMC I watch some videos on it and I put the TV in 16x9 mode and I got to say I watched Dexter it was a 960x544 res and it looked great on this TV

HDTV is way better I have compaired it side by side and there is a huge difference but SD aslong as it is 16x9 looks ok

I want the retro skin back please
post #4 of 7 Old 01-16-2007, 03:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by new27 View Post

I have a four yeal old JVC 20" crt which is 4-5 feet from a secondary PC I sometimes use, basic cable straight from the wall to the set.

From time to time I'm astonished at the clarity and sharpness on certain broadcasts, CSI Miami on A&E right now looks really good.

I'll go as far as to say that there have been times when the PQ was superior to some upconverted HD content on my other sets.

experiences?

im using a 20" jvc tv too! The quality is pretty good. Better than all the other sd tvs in the home. Including new magnavox 21" tvs I bought as replacement to 2 tvs that broke in the basement and the kitchen! One just stoped working and the other broke when i lifted it from the top. Smart i know! Do they still sell these tvs?
post #5 of 7 Old 01-16-2007, 08:29 AM

Yep, I'm with ya. I was watching the Kingdom of Heaven DVD on our 27" SD Sharp a few days back, and it looked amazing. Five year old Pioneer DV-333 over component, tweaked with DVE.

PS2 over component looks great on that TV too. I can't believe the graphics they get out of that older hardware.
post #6 of 7 Old 01-20-2007, 04:49 AM
Advanced Member

I have the same experience with my Toshiba 20" Flat CRT with cable straight from the wall shows like Leno and such just look great.
SD-DVD's look great.
I don't mind watching this TV despite having a 27" 720p/768p LCD and a 65" 1080p in the house.

PS3 & A2 = Format Neutral
post #7 of 7 Old 01-20-2007, 08:15 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 48 Post(s)
Liked: 38
Quote:

experiences?

I used to have a 35" CRT, and (about 5 years ago) the local CBS affiliate used to show reruns of McCloud. Man, that particular show looked fantastic. Better than any DVD I played on it and nearly HD looking. I think it was a two-fold situation; that program was beautifully archived, and that affiliate has the best SD signal in town.

"I knew you'd say that"...*BLAM!*
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page