Sony XBR970 vs Samsung TX3082 ? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 02-12-2007, 06:30 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i wonder what is the best CRT-HDTV to buy..... i think these 2 are probably the better set......

i currently bought the 3082 model 1 month ago and i got lots of geometry problems with it so i exchanged it yesterday and this new one seems much better but still... the geometry isn't as good as it could be.... some minor bowing is still there.

also, is it normal that you can see huge space between pixels near each border of the tv (app. 2inch each side).... with that kind of stuff, i'm wondering if this tv CAN REALLY DISPLAY HD SIGNAL? not sure since i don't have a hd dvd player yet.

i heard that the sony xbr960 is out of production and really hard to find, that's why i shall compare it to the 970 version instead (even if it's inferior)...

should i exchange my sammy for the sony set? i think it's goddamn huge & heavy but i want the best picture possible..... for such amounth of money spent.

thanks for your response.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 02-13-2007, 06:09 AM

You've narrowed it down to the two that I believe to be the best of CRTs sold right now. PQwise I think it is pretty much a draw. The Samsung is a little brighter but has picture enhancement software that can't be turned off in the user menu. This makes a few things look a little unnatural as some things will be sharper than they should be, etc. The Sony's PQ is just as good and gives you the ability to turn off the picture enhancement if you want. The only drawback to the Sammy is that many of these SlimFits have pretty bad geometry problems. Sure, all CRTs have some geometry isses but these SlimFits tend to have it above and beyond the norm. In the end I think the Sony is the better TV. Its screen is 4 inches bigger, the PQ is great and gives you options for disabling artificial enhancement, and the geometry is much better than the SlimFits, although not perfect.
Old 02-13-2007, 06:44 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 13
The XBR970 will have a better picture than the sammy, plus its bigger.. I say go for it.

Oh and heres a chart from consumer reports , The TX3082 didnt do so well:

Old 02-13-2007, 03:23 PM - Thread Starter

where did you get that website?
Old 02-13-2007, 06:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevenz View Post

where did you get that website?

http://www.consumerreports.org/cro/e.../tvs/index.htm you need a membership to see the ratings tho (pay site).

EDIT: Heres what they had to say about each model in question:

Samsung Slimtfit TX3082:

"Fair overall with fair picture quality for HD and standard-definition images, good for DVD. Slim tube design is not as deep as other tube TVs. Has two HDMI inputs, a plus for HD cable boxes or DVD players. Film-based image motion compensation feature worked so-so to very well. But the remote is difficult to use in low light. DVD and high definition images had a boost in image-enhancement. In plain English, the images looked hyper-realistic, with hard edges and some exaggerated detail. Remote is extra long at 9.5" and has an excessive 54 buttons."

Sony XBR970:

"Good overall, with very good HD and DVD picture quality. The picture quality with all types of signals was the best we saw in this batch of picture-tube TVs. Standard-definition images looked a little soft with a slight green cast but were still good. Long (24-month) part warranty and labor warranty and in-home warranty. This is the successor to the 34XBR960. Film-based image motion compensation feature worked very well. Heavy."
Old 02-13-2007, 11:20 PM

Yeah, I've seen that report before but I really don't agree with it. I've ownd both the Sony and Samsung and the Samsung's PQ was quite a bit better than what they claim it is. When you read their comments it just seems like they were turned off by the artificial picture enhancement. It would be nice if that stuff could be turned off via the user menu but the TV does the things that matter well like color, blacks, etc. But I do like the Sony more.
Old 02-14-2007, 07:31 AM - Thread Starter

yeah i found out that you must pay for this site... thanks for posting their review.

now the question is, should i keep my HD CRT or go with the Samsung LCD ? hmmm, it's so hard to buy a good tv these days.
Old 02-14-2007, 03:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kevenz View Post

i wonder what is the best CRT-HDTV to buy..... i think these 2 are probably the better set......

i currently bought the 3082 model 1 month ago and i got lots of geometry problems with it so i exchanged it yesterday and this new one seems much better but still... the geometry isn't as good as it could be.... some minor bowing is still there.

also, is it normal that you can see huge space between pixels near each border of the tv (app. 2inch each side).... with that kind of stuff, i'm wondering if this tv CAN REALLY DISPLAY HD SIGNAL? not sure since i don't have a hd dvd player yet.

i heard that the sony xbr960 is out of production and really hard to find, that's why i shall compare it to the 970 version instead (even if it's inferior)...

should i exchange my sammy for the sony set? i think it's goddamn huge & heavy but i want the best picture possible..... for such amounth of money spent.

thanks for your response.

I have never ever in my life seen a better picture than the one on the 970. So if the 970 is the inferrior one, I would love to see the 960.
Old 02-14-2007, 04:45 PM

Quoted: 3 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by homerrulez View Post

I have never ever in my life seen a better picture than the one on the 970. So if the 970 is the inferrior one, I would love to see the 960.

The picture tube in the Sony 970 is the latest version of what was originally, the Sony 34XBR1.

Around the time when the 34XBR910 came out, (the predecessor to the 960), I had some opportunities to compare the PQ of the normal XBR screens to the Super Fine Pitch XBR's that the 910/960 have. The XBR910 was sharper when displaying HD feeds. And that was only with 1440x1080i source material. At the time, the maximum HD resolution available. Today, with HD DVDs players available, I'm sure the difference would even be slightly more noticeable.

But the 970 offers excellent PQ too. If you can find a 960 around, you may want to take a look at it but it's not the perfect Sony CRT. That extra sharpness comes at the expense of brightness, noticeably so, IMO.

The Sony XBR970 is an excellent set, especially at its current selling price.

nx211
Old 02-15-2007, 10:20 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nx211 View Post

The picture tube in the Sony 970 is the latest version of what was originally, the Sony 34XBR1.

Around the time when the 34XBR910 came out, (the predecessor to the 960), I had some opportunities to compare the PQ of the normal XBR screens to the Super Fine Pitch XBR's that the 910/960 have. The XBR910 was sharper when displaying HD feeds. And that was only with 1440x1080i source material. At the time, the maximum HD resolution available. Today, with HD DVDs players available, I'm sure the difference would even be slightly more noticeable.

But the 970 offers excellent PQ too. If you can find a 960 around, you may want to take a look at it but it's not the perfect Sony CRT. That extra sharpness comes at the expense of brightness, noticeably so, IMO.

The Sony XBR970 is an excellent set, especially at its current selling price.

nx211

Did you happen to have the XBR960 or XBR960N? The 960N has a noticabley brighter picture due to the lack of anti glare coating. While my HS510 is brighter than my 960N its not a big differance at all.
Old 02-16-2007, 10:19 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 13 Post(s)
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mathesar View Post

Did you happen to have the XBR960 or XBR960N? The 960N has a noticabley brighter picture due to the lack of anti glare coating. While my HS510 is brighter than my 960N its not a big differance at all.

Interesting..i didn't know that.