Does SDTV = ATSC tuner - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 07:03 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
I was under the impression that if a TV is SDTV, that meant it had a digital tuner built in. I've been following the threads on *CRT TV's under 25" with ATSC* for sometime now, so imagine my suprise when I went to WallyWorld tonight and saw a number of TV's under 27" labeled as being SDTV. Bought a 13"magnavox which was labeled SDTV, brought it home and there is no digital tuner on this TV.

So am I mistaken that SDTV means it has an ATSC tuner? Or is WallyWorld just being WallyWorld?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 07:38 PM

The TV has to have the words "digital tuner" somewhere on the box for it to have one. Some TVs will have them, some don't and will require a DTV receiver.

Quote:

Most of the normal TV sets used today cannot receive digital transmissions. You will need a DTV receiver in order to accept them. DTV receivers are available at the moment; they work by connecting your television to an output. However, they are of limited performance quality. You will be able to watch SDTV and HDTV programs, but they will not be true, High Definition picture quality.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/SDTV
post #3 of 13 Old 03-13-2007, 11:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Location: In my armed redoubt deep in the mountains of northern Ohio
Liked: 12
Quote:
Originally Posted by rrroae View Post

I was under the impression that if a TV is SDTV, that meant it had a digital tuner built in. I've been following the threads on *CRT TV's under 25" with ATSC* for sometime now, so imagine my suprise when I went to WallyWorld tonight and saw a number of TV's under 27" labeled as being SDTV. Bought a 13"magnavox which was labeled SDTV, brought it home and there is no digital tuner on this TV.

So am I mistaken that SDTV means it has an ATSC tuner? Or is WallyWorld just being WallyWorld?

You are really confused. SDTV has nothing to do with ATSC or vice versa.

42" in the dining room.
50" in the bedroom
80" in the living room

65" in the family room
106" in the family room

"There is another system"

Video Modes: SDTV-EDTV-XGA-HDTV-3D
All HD Modes: Blu Ray, HD DVD, DVHS

post #4 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 01:23 AM

Yeah I agree with Star...you got really confused somewhere along the way. SDTV has absolutely nothing to do with ATSC.

SDTV = Standard Definition Television (as in regular non-HD channels)

HDTV = well obviously High Definition

ATSC = Advanced Television Systems Committee (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/ATSC)

Many HDTV's will have an ATSC tuner built in to them. This tuner allows them to pull in an HD signal from OTA(over the air) without the use of a set top box.
post #5 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 05:24 AM - Thread Starter

lol. I've been known to get quite confused for little reason.

I seem to recall when CRT TV's that displayed at 480i and had an integrated digital tuner came out that they were labeled as SDTV for having the ability to get digital channels even at 480i. This is how I've always seen those TV's advertised(1st time was at WallyWorld last year with a display explaining SDTV as being an economical choice for recieving digital signals). And to be honest, I've never seen a CRT TV displayed as SDTV that didn't advertise the TV having a built in digital tuner. I've also bought 5 SDTV's in the past as well as 3 STB's in my attempt to recieve OTA digital signals.

I'm not sure how I got so confused. Where am I thinking wrong?
post #6 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 06:07 AM

i think that you have the atsc tuner lump in with sdtv. an atsc tuner is a seperate component that could be included with any tv.

all larger tv, sdtv and hdtv, must now have atsc tuner bulit in.

smaller tv, sdtv and hdtv, may or may not have atsc tuner built in.
post #7 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 06:48 AM
AVS Special Member

SDTV = Standard Definition TV
EDTV = Enhanced Definition TV
HDTV = High Definition TV
------------------------------------------
Inside these TV contains either

NTSC = National Television System Committee
ATSC = Advanced Television Systems Committee
PAL = Phase Alternating Line

Most of the newer SDTV has NTSC and ATSC tuner.
EDTV and HDTV has a mandatory NTSC and ATSC tuner.
If you are looking for a SDTV with digital tuner then look for a TV that has Dolby Digital logo
on the front.

There is always someone out there that gives you opinion of a product that they don't even own.
post #8 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 08:20 AM - Thread Starter

I believe I fall in that 95% category that has no clue(even though I thought I did).

I'll say though that the salespeople at these retail stores know about as much as I do, as I specifically asked if the tv I bought had the digital tuner. I was assured that I would be able to receive OTA digital signals(as all the tv's that were described as SDTV's also said they had digital tuners on those little desription cards). At least 6 of the 24" and smaller tv's labeled as SDTV's also said they had digital tuners.

I also find it amusing when I called later that evening to talk to the assistant store manager, they had no idea about the Mar 2007 deadline for all tv's to include digital tuners. All I heard was, "I've never heard of that" and "I'll have to check that out", followed by a seies of loud sighs as I tried to explain.

Frustrated and confused
Rex
post #9 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 10:22 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

I'm afraid you were mistaken. You should always check the TV packaging at the outside to see whether it includes a built-in (ATSC) digital tuner or not. When I bought my Orion 27" TVD2710 SDTV CRT for $150 from WallyWorld during the Thanksgiving Black Friday special, I had to make sure it included a ATSC digital tuner, even though it stated SDTV in the ad. At this price, I thought it was misadvertised at first and thought it would not be included because of the very low price, but I found out it was not. The box clearly said ATSC digital tuner built-in as well as component video inputs, just what I need.

Don't worry if you were mistaken. Just return the TV back to WallyWorld within 90 days with your receipt and explain to them that your WallyWorld store misadvertised their TVs and you would like a refund.
post #10 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 09:01 PM - Thread Starter

I wonder how I got so offtrack. It's not that I'm new to OTA digital reception. I've had 5 tv's with digital tuners(including the Orion) and 3 STB's including the new Samsung. Unfortunatley, I deal with a multitude of issues. I'm on solar so I need something which doesn't draw the amps and I'm 70 miles from my stations. Best luck I had was actually with the Orion. I would recieve digital signals at least 2 hrs earlier than anything else I've tried.

Oh well. Back to the drawing board.
post #11 of 13 Old 03-14-2007, 10:18 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
rrroae, FWIW, I don't think you need to feel too stupid about this. "SDTV" is often associated with SD TVs that have ATSC tuners. I actually try to avoid the term "SDTV" when I'm talking about an analog SD TV. AFAIK, the Sony FS120s don't have "SDTV" stamped on them like the FS170s do. The term just wasn't being used before SD TVs with ATSC tuners started to appear. Even if it isn't very logical, the term is often understood to refer to a TV with an ATSC tuner. Anyhow, if you want a ~13" TV with an ATSC tuner, you might need to wait a few more weeks.
post #12 of 13 Old 03-15-2007, 09:55 AM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Quote:

Best luck I had was actually with the Orion. I would recieve digital signals at least 2 hrs earlier than anything else I've tried.

Was it an Orion or iLO brand you tried? Black or silver color?
post #13 of 13 Old 03-15-2007, 10:13 AM - Thread Starter

Sorry, it was the iLO. It's tuner outperformed everything else I've tried. Too bad it was otherwise such an awful TV and used up too many amps.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page