Panasonic CT-32HL43 won't power on - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 51 Old 03-21-2007, 09:48 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Hey guys...looked around for a while in AVS and on the net, but couldn't find much data on my problem.

My 3-year old Panasonic 32" (CT-32HL43G) has been working like a champ until last weekend. I went to turn it on and nothing. It worked just fine the day before.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be before I call-out a repair guy to diagnose? I was thinking it may be a power supply issue. If that's the case, I'd like to try and fix it myself if the parts are available.

Any ideas?

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 51 Old 03-22-2007, 10:14 AM - Thread Starter

Nobody else have this problem? Seems odd for a 3-year old high-end CRT.
post #3 of 51 Old 03-22-2007, 12:09 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 11
Panasonic TVs often get power supply problems. They are never as good as Toshiba, regardless of what year.

The first thing you can do is check the fuse. If it's not the fuse, then it's either bad caps, transistors, or resistors at the power supply.
post #4 of 51 Old 03-22-2007, 12:42 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 134 Post(s)
Liked: 272
... or diodes, in-line fuseable links, cold solder joint, or a plethora of other electronic possibilities. It has nothing to do with Toshiba vs. Panasonic. Even assuming Toshiba has the best power supplies in the world, they fail too. Why the reference to Toshiba has come into this thread is beyond me!

Unless you have some eletronics experience, a service manual (schematics) and test gear, it's best to bite the bullet and make a service call to get an estimate.
post #5 of 51 Old 03-22-2007, 02:03 PM

Liked: 35
This is the same problem we are having with our 35" Mitsu. One day in Dec. we were watching it and it shut off. Now it wont power on. Repair man says its probably an issue with the power suppy however he cant locate any parts to fix it .
He said parts are nearly impossible to find, but if we get the set to him he may be able to work on it using whatever he can find in the shop. Problem is not only is it god awful heavy in its own right, but its housed in an oak cabinet.

An "Analog Kid" in a digital world
post #6 of 51 Old 03-22-2007, 10:58 PM - Thread Starter

Yeah, you're pretty much stuck having the guy come out. I'm in the same situation.

I'm going to try to locate the fuse, but if it blew, it did it for a reason.

Ratman, unfortunately no, I don't have the expertise. Fuse will be just about as far as I can go on a TV. Just got to find the darn thing now.
post #7 of 51 Old 03-23-2007, 01:04 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Your repair bill may bee too high to be worth it. If it is too high, it is always a good excuse to upgrade. I hope it is reasonable. I have a Panny Ct-34x54 and love the set.
post #8 of 51 Old 03-23-2007, 01:22 AM - Thread Starter

I hope not. It really irks me that a 3-year old brand-name TV would go out so soon.
post #9 of 51 Old 03-24-2007, 06:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jsmithjr732 View Post

I hope not. It really irks me that a 3-year old brand-name TV would go out so soon.

I have the exact same tv and it was perfect yesterday, dead today(saturday). I took off the back cover and the main fuse was blown. It was a 6.3 amp 125volt fuse, replaced it with a 6.3 amp 250 volt fuse because I had one. It turns on now, but ...

I'm sure you are familiar with the first relay click, then the second, then the sound, then the picture appears normally. Well now the first click happens, then there is a 1.5 sec delay and the 2nd relay click, picture and sound all happen at once. During the delay the led is dimmer on the front, which it always was, but now it is dim for the 1.5 seconds instead of .5 seconds. Have you had yours looked at or looked at it yet?
post #10 of 51 Old 03-24-2007, 08:15 PM

Quote:

Yeah, you're pretty much stuck having the guy come out. I'm in the same situation.

I'm going to try to locate the fuse, but if it blew, it did it for a reason.

Ratman, unfortunately no, I don't have the expertise. Fuse will be just about as far as I can go on a TV. Just got to find the darn thing now.

btw, the fuse is on the circuit board right where the power wire plugs in.
post #11 of 51 Old 03-25-2007, 12:46 AM - Thread Starter

Hmmm, I don't recall the clicking or delays when turning on the TV. However, turning on that thing feels like a distant memory. I'm going to break this bad boy open and sese if I can change out the fuse.

Haven't had it looked at...expecting a baby girl any day now and we've got too many things going on at the house to have a guy come in for diagnosis.

I'll update the post when I open up the box.
post #12 of 51 Old 03-25-2007, 06:31 AM

Ok. That should be interesting, to see what you figure out. After turning my tv on and off a couple times last night, today it seems to be working and clicking just like it always used to..so I have no idea what could be going wrong with these sets...
post #13 of 51 Old 03-25-2007, 08:57 PM - Thread Starter

Checked out the fuse today....yep, it blew. Replaced the fuse and it's working as before. I now know what you mean by the clicks and delays. Seems to be the same, but I don't recall how many clicks were there before/after the screen lit up.

As for the fuse, it was impossible to find the exact one needed. The one that came with my set was also 6.3A / 125V 5 x 20 fuse. The closest I could find was a 250V version. That was after checking two different electronic part stores. A salesperson at one of the stores said it should be ok as the amps are the same. Hope so.

I replaced the fuse w/o taking off the back of the set. I used some scissors to hold the fuse and maneuvered it through the opening where the power cord exits. I ended up dropping three of the fuses, but hey, now I got spares close by.

I'll post an update if it blows again. Thanks for the help with the diagnosis.
post #14 of 51 Old 03-26-2007, 08:18 AM

Quote:

I ended up dropping three of the fuses, but hey, now I got spares close by.

Thats pretty hilarious. Glad it worked for you too.. Hopefully these things keep on working now..
post #15 of 51 Old 04-01-2007, 11:12 PM

Quote:

Hey guys...looked around for a while in AVS and on the net, but couldn't find much data on my problem.

My 3-year old Panasonic 32" (CT-32HL43G) has been working like a champ until last weekend. I went to turn it on and nothing. It worked just fine the day before.

Anyone have any ideas what it could be before I call-out a repair guy to diagnose? I was thinking it may be a power supply issue. If that's the case, I'd like to try and fix it myself if the parts are available.

Any ideas?

Thanks!

Hello, I`ve been looking for that MODEL NUMBER
for a LONG TIME!!!!!! Do you want to sell it??
Let me know! Thanks!
post #16 of 51 Old 04-19-2007, 09:44 PM

If anyone could help that would be great! ...

When I go to power up my Panasonic CT-32SL14J tv there is nothing (no power). It was working fine yesterday. I opened the back and found the fuse was blown. It was a 6.3a/125 V fuse. I went to Circuit City to get a replacement and they only had 6.3a / 250 V fuses. I plugged in the fuse but my tv still won't power

Does anyone have any ideas?? Is it because its a 250 V fuse and the back of my TV says AC 120 Volts Max?

Any help would be greatly appreciated!

Thank you.
post #17 of 51 Old 05-05-2007, 05:51 PM

yeah folks just logging on...Have the same TV 32HL43G.... and the same story - the tv is working no problems then during the Hopkins vs Loyola Lax game it shut off not to come back to life...I have read the inputs but my fuse looks good, there is continuity across the filament and there is power coming into the board...what would be the order to progress forward...
post #18 of 51 Old 05-05-2007, 06:04 PM

Unhappy OK, if it isn't the cord or the fuse what is next
yeah folks just logging on...Have the same TV 32HL43G.... and the same story - the tv is working no problems then during the Hopkins vs Loyola Lax game it shut off not to come back to life...I have read the inputs but my fuse looks good, there is continuity across the filament and there is power coming into the board...what would be the order to progress forward...
post #19 of 51 Old 05-09-2007, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by F4UAV8R View Post

Unhappy OK, if it isn't the cord or the fuse what is next

I would try the fuse.. luckily mine is still working as of yesterday. I'm into car audio, and i've had fuses go bad, that still have continuity, but dont let enough voltage pass.. Its worth the couple bucks to try to fix it
post #20 of 51 Old 05-16-2007, 08:41 AM

I was out looking for something to give me a break down on the CTR32HL43G and stumbled across a url that will give you the service manual if anyone needs it..drop me an email
post #21 of 51 Old 05-17-2007, 07:44 AM

pimpedcivic you are the man!!! that was the correction that worked...
1.59 for 4 fuses beats 375.00 for a new board, which was the next step
post #22 of 51 Old 08-15-2007, 03:23 AM

The same thing just happened to my CT-32HL43, eg: nothing happens when I try to power it on. This thread gives me hope that the source of the issue is the same and will be fixed by a fuse replacement. Thanks for the information guys!
post #23 of 51 Old 08-19-2007, 02:19 AM

I replaced the fuse and when I turned the tube back on it seemed normal until a pop and flash- fuse was out again. Looks like there's another problem causing the failure time for some qualified professionals or a new tube I guess.
post #24 of 51 Old 08-19-2007, 09:26 AM

Hello All,

Hope you are well. I do not own this Panasonic, but recently the power supply failed in my Samsung TX-P2675WHX/XAA, which is only 2 1/2 years old. The PCB is literally melted, and Samsung is no longer making replacement power supplies for these units. Very disappointed with Samsung parts support. This is like flushing $700 down the toilet.

I feel your pain!

Later,

Tony

post #25 of 51 Old 08-29-2007, 08:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by csilver View Post

I replaced the fuse and when I turned the tube back on it seemed normal until a pop and flash- fuse was out again. Looks like there's another problem causing the failure time for some qualified professionals or a new tube I guess.

just curious.. did you replace it with the same fuse that was in the tv or the 250v 6.3 amp fuse that the rest of us ended up using?
post #26 of 51 Old 02-19-2008, 11:10 PM

I have a Panasonic CT-32SL14J and it started to turn on, then the red LED on the front went out and everything. Won't turn back on, found this thread lol, so I guess I'm in the club now. I went to panasonic's site, and according to them the CT-32SL14J doesn't exist? What the hell is that? lol I bought it from circuit city and I'm still paying for it on my credit card, I'm pretty sure it exists.

I will try getting a new fuse, I hope I can find the type you guys are mentioning I live in the boondocks.
post #27 of 51 Old 02-20-2008, 09:41 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Checked out the fuse today....yep, it blew. Replaced the fuse and it's working as before. I now know what you mean by the clicks and delays. Seems to be the same, but I don't recall how many clicks were there before/after the screen lit up.

As for the fuse, it was impossible to find the exact one needed. The one that came with my set was also 6.3A / 125V 5 x 20 fuse. The closest I could find was a 250V version. That was after checking two different electronic part stores. A salesperson at one of the stores said it should be ok as the amps are the same. Hope so.

I replaced the fuse w/o taking off the back of the set. I used some scissors to hold the fuse and maneuvered it through the opening where the power cord exits. I ended up dropping three of the fuses, but hey, now I got spares close by.

This is the fuse I used for my TV. I've had NO problems since replacing the fuse in March 2007.
post #28 of 51 Old 02-22-2008, 08:03 AM

Quote:

This is the fuse I used for my TV. I've had NO problems since replacing the fuse in March 2007.

So far, I haven't had any problems with it either since then.. funny that I just happened to check this thread today.
post #29 of 51 Old 09-12-2008, 10:17 PM

My Panasonic did as the rest and when I replaced the fuse the set powers up for about 30 seconds, shuts off and the power LED blinks every 5 seconds. If I unplug/re-plug I can start over.
While "ON" the screen illuminates without a picture but I can get some sound. I'm about to trash it unless I can get some help. Not worth spending money on a CRT.
post #30 of 51 Old 09-18-2008, 09:09 PM

Hmm?? Fuse $5.00. Technician > $50. Thank you for the help. Fuse it is . Funny my TV just quit like this today, Sept. 18, 2008. The Circuit City 5 year warranty expired Sept 16, 2008.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page