Sharpness of a CRT? - Page 6 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #151 of 172 Old 07-19-2007, 12:02 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
O boy, things just got VERY interesting. I have the opportunity to buy a brand spanking shiny new KD-36XS955 on eBay for, drumroll please..... $900. So one last time: Do I buy the XBR970 (or if I can't find a 970 a 34HS420) for $650 or do I spend another $250 to get a 36XS955? According to BB's online screen calculating thingy a 36" 4:3 TV should be able to give me a 33" 16:9 image and the SFP is REALLY tempting but is it worth it for sitting 5-6 feet away and given that I'm soon to be a poor college student. I know everyone is sick of these questions but its almost over, its all come down to this. Thoughts?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #152 of 172 Old 07-19-2007, 12:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bkchurch View Post

O boy, things just got VERY interesting. I have the opportunity to buy a brand spanking shiny new KD-36XS955 on eBay for, drumroll please..... $900. So one last time: Do I buy the XBR970 (or if I can't find a 970 a 34HS420) for $650 or do I spend another $250 to get a 36XS955? According to BB's online screen calculating thingy a 36" 4:3 TV should be able to give me a 33" 16:9 image and the SFP is REALLY tempting but is it worth it for sitting 5-6 feet away and given that I'm soon to be a poor college student. I know everyone is sick of these questions but its almost over, its all come down to this. Thoughts?

The extra resolution is definitely worth it. It's a pretty big difference. Are you absolutely, positively sure that it is brand new? With games the SFPT will make a big difference. The SFPT has 65% more horizontal resolution. That isn't just a small upgrade, it's quite substantial.
post #153 of 172 Old 07-19-2007, 12:57 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wickerman1972 View Post

The extra resolution is definitely worth it. It's a pretty big difference. Are you absolutely, positively sure that it is brand new? With games the SFPT will make a big difference. The SFPT has 65% more horizontal resolution. That isn't just a small upgrade, it's quite substantial.

Yea its most definitely new and the $900 includes shipping, I managed to talk the organization that had it posted down from $1050 (although I was going for $800 but o well). I think I'm gonna try and sell my projector again for what extra cash I need to buy the TV.
post #154 of 172 Old 07-20-2007, 07:49 AM

Quote:

Yea its most definitely new and the $900 includes shipping, I managed to talk the organization that had it posted down from $1050 (although I was going for $800 but o well). I think I'm gonna try and sell my projector again for what extra cash I need to buy the TV.

Man, I'm jealous. After I found out what the resolution of my 970 was I looked all over the place for a new SFPT Sony CRT and couldn't find one. So I just gave up and spent my money on other things.
post #155 of 172 Old 07-20-2007, 08:03 AM - Thread Starter

Ok, I think I might shoot for the 955 then if you guys really think the extra res is really gonna make that big a difference even at that size.
post #156 of 172 Old 07-20-2007, 09:50 PM - Thread Starter

Hmm, after reading up on the 36XS955 a little bit it seems like the superfine pitch sets have a fairly higher failure rate than the non-SFP sets. Should this be a big concern?
post #157 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 07:52 AM

Quote:

Hmm, after reading up on the 36XS955 a little bit it seems like the superfine pitch sets have a fairly higher failure rate than the non-SFP sets. Should this be a big concern?

If it's new it will have a warranty. I believe you are over-thinking this. If you can get a new SFPT that is the way to go. There are hundreds of people on this site who'd like to be in your shoes right now. And if you don't hurry up someone else will probably end up grabbing it.
post #158 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 08:19 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:

If it's new it will have a warranty. I believe you are over-thinking this. If you can get a new SFPT that is the way to go. There are hundreds of people on this site who'd like to be in your shoes right now. And if you don't hurry up someone else will probably end up grabbing it.

Ok, I'm goin for it then. And if you haven't noticed over thinking is my specialty .
post #159 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 09:09 AM
otk
AVS Special Member

Liked: 15
Quote:

Ok, I'm goin for it then. And if you haven't noticed over thinking is my specialty .

nothing wrong with over thinking

this is an expensive hobby, everybody wants the best that they can get for their dollar and not everybody is rockefeller

All this noise about noise.
♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫♪♫

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #160 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 01:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by otk View Post

nothing wrong with over thinking

this is an expensive hobby, everybody wants the best that they can get for their dollar and not everybody is rockefeller

Yeah, but there is nothing in the CRT market that rivals a SFPT Sony. To me it is a no-brainer.
post #161 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 01:50 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Yeah, but there is nothing in the CRT market that rivals a SFPT Sony. To me it is a no-brainer.

Yea, but I recently blew $425 on a CRT projector so since I'm not in college till September I have to justify to my parents why a $900 240lb. TV just arrived on the doorstep. I then have the fun job of gathering up my buddies to move this thing upstairs to my room only to move it to my college in a month. Anyway I think I'm gonna check if theres any 970s left at CC, BB, or Sears on Monday and if there isn't I'll take it as a sign from god that I should buy the XS955 . And if there is then I'll probably still buy the XS955.
post #162 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 05:22 PM

Quote:

Yea, but I recently blew $425 on a CRT projector so since I'm not in college till September I have to justify to my parents why a $900 240lb. TV just arrived on the doorstep. I then have the fun job of gathering up my buddies to move this thing upstairs to my room only to move it to my college in a month. Anyway I think I'm gonna check if theres any 970s left at CC, BB, or Sears on Monday and if there isn't I'll take it as a sign from god that I should buy the XS955 . And if there is then I'll probably still buy the XS955.

Well, I'm just letting you know that there are hundreds of guys registered on this forum who desperately want a SFPT Sony CRT. I can't count all the posts I've seen since registering here of people expressing how much they'd love to be able to find a new one. You already let people know there is one on Ebay so if you are serious about it I wouldn't wait too long or someone else might beat you to the punch.
post #163 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 06:11 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

Well, I'm just letting you know that there are hundreds of guys registered on this forum who desperately want a SFPT Sony CRT. I can't count all the posts I've seen since registering here of people expressing how much they'd love to be able to find a new one. You already let people know there is one on Ebay so if you are serious about it I wouldn't wait too long or someone else might beat you to the punch.

The organization has 8 of them so by all means if someone wants one they can go for it, look up seller redtiderelief or search for a KD-36XS955 on eBay and go for it.
post #164 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 07:01 PM - Thread Starter

Now Wickerman I have a question for you since you seem to be the biggest advocate of the difference the extra resolution will make: Have you seen a SFP set in action to compare to your own to see the difference it makes or are you just assuming? Because I have noticed you seem to get really caught up in the numbers, how do you know the extra res is gonna make a huge difference on such a small screen?
post #165 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 07:58 PM

They have 8 of them?!!! Damn, I looked like crazy a while back and I couldn't find ANY. That figures, I'm broke now and couldn't get one if I wanted to. No, I haven't seen one. But I've talked to countless people on this forum who tell me there is a big difference. Supposedly the SFPT sets are suppose to be a bit darker but the resolution is much sharper. I have seen plenty of 720p LCDs and the picture on my 970 is definitely not as sharp as that. But people tell me that with the SFPT sets the sharpness looks equal to a 720p LCD but with all of the advantages of a CRT. And numbers do mean something when you are talking about the same technology from the same company. It's one thing to argue that the blacks, response times, etc. of a CRT edge out the sharpness of a LCD but with a Sony non-SFPT vs a SFPT CRT that doesn't come into play. It has all of those advantages plus the 65% higher resolution. Basically, you get the best of both worlds.
post #166 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 08:33 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:

They have 8 of them?!!! Damn, I looked like crazy a while back and I couldn't find ANY. That figures, I'm broke now and couldn't get one if I wanted to. No, I haven't seen one. But I've talked to countless people on this forum who tell me there is a big difference. Supposedly the SFPT sets are suppose to be a bit darker but the resolution is much sharper. I have seen plenty of 720p LCDs and the picture on my 970 is definitely not as sharp as that. But people tell me that with the SFPT sets the sharpness looks equal to a 720p LCD but with all of the advantages of a CRT. And numbers do mean something when you are talking about the same technology from the same company. It's one thing to argue that the blacks, response times, etc. of a CRT edge out the sharpness of a LCD but with a Sony non-SFPT vs a SFPT CRT that doesn't come into play. It has all of those advantages plus the 65% higher resolution.

Ok, I'll take your word for it then. Anyway yea theres 8 and they're not exactly flying off the shelf so if you can get the money together in a few months they'll probably still be there. They're listed as $1000 plus $50 shipping but after a little haggling I got em down to $900. I felt a little guilty though since they're raising money for there organization to research red tide and ways to stop it (something I know effects my area) but $900 is really pushing my budget, $1050 wasn't doable. Right now I think I'm gonna check if theres a 970 in stock on Monday and buy a nicer screen for my projector. Come September I'm gonna find out how well the projectors gonna work in my dorm and depending on the outcome of my findings I may end up buying one of those 36XS955s if they're still around or (if the projector will work well in my dorm and not cause conflict with my roommate) I'll just but a GDM-FW900 monitor for a backup display when I can't use the pj.
post #167 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 09:17 PM
Advanced Member

Hey bkchurch, is this thread just a very elaborate joke? Are we on Candid Camera or something? It's beginning to feel that way.
post #168 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 09:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by au revoir View Post

Hey bkchurch, is this thread just a very elaborate joke? Are we on Candid Camera or something? It's beginning to feel that way.

No, I just don't make a lot of money and am therefor very cautious about spending it so I ask a lot of questions and plans change frequently before I make a purchase.
post #169 of 172 Old 07-21-2007, 10:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SurfingMatt27 View Post

...sony tubes in general generally don't last more than 8-10 years.

I'll have to second this quote. I've got one Sony from '91 and its still looking good. I had another from '87 but I gave it away two years ago. So I guess that's more than 8-10 years....
post #170 of 172 Old 07-27-2007, 05:06 AM
AVS Special Member

why is everyone so caught up in sharpness? I can understand for text and computer work the advantages of LCD and the sharper picture. But there is much more to picture quality than sharpness. Video demands good color accuracy, contrast ratio, etc. LCD cannot beat CRT in contrast ratio and color accuracy. While comparing side by side lcd will likely show a sharper image when looking at text, I'd be really surprised if the sharpness could be noticed when comparing a video scene and the overall better picture is obvious on a well cailbrated CRT
post #171 of 172 Old 07-27-2007, 09:09 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 40
Quote:
Originally Posted by fugiot View Post

No, most of the HD CRTs are 853x1080i. Which is basically SDxHD resolution.

WHOA really? So no tube TV's are 1920x1080I?

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.

post #172 of 172 Old 07-28-2007, 04:23 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by proudx View Post

why is everyone so caught up in sharpness? I can understand for text and computer work the advantages of LCD and the sharper picture. But there is much more to picture quality than sharpness. Video demands good color accuracy, contrast ratio, etc. LCD cannot beat CRT in contrast ratio and color accuracy. While comparing side by side lcd will likely show a sharper image when looking at text, I'd be really surprised if the sharpness could be noticed when comparing a video scene and the overall better picture is obvious on a well cailbrated CRT

The advantage to me comes in games, a lower resolution means less detail and the whole point of HD is for more detail. It doesn't matter though since I've convinced myself whatever little detail I'll lose with a CRT instead of an LCD will be worth it for the aforementioned contrast and color accuracy.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wytchone View Post

WHOA really? So no tube TV's are 1920x1080I?

In fact there are but they're either computer monitors that are small and not widescreen or they're $50,000 studio displays. As far as consumer HDTVs go the highest resolution CRTs are Sony's superfine pitch models like the XBR960 and 36XS955 which are 1440x1080i. I've come to realize on a 34" screen anything more than 720p resolution is worthless at a normal viewing distance and with a 1080i/p signal an 853x1080 CRT resolves the same number of pixels as a 720p display recieving a 720p signal; an 853x1080i CRT resolves one third less pixels than a 720p LCD when the CRT is receiving a 720p signal (which consequently is still twice what an SDTV can resolve). I've decided that little resolution difference is worth it for the black levels, shadow detail, contrast, and color accuracy you get from a CRT. I've been watching a lot of game trailers on my Macbook Pro recently and even on this thing (which has a 1080p Apple Cinema Display) I can't see a friggin thing in dark enviroments, it's just all black.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page