First and foremost, a big "Thank you" to Mark Goetz for kindly responding to my email about my TV problem. I followed his instructions and read every post in this thread. Mark, I really appreciate your prompt response.
I am happy to report that I fixed my Sony KV-34XBR800. It was having difficulty powering up after 5 years of daily use. If I left it alone for a few days, it would still turn on fine, but the "leave alone" time period soon got longer and longer. I believe it had 6 or 7 blinks going on.
It turns out that only (1) IC was bad--the one at the IC8002 location.
I read in the posts that some folks regretted not photographing their repair, so I figured it was the least I could do to give back to this great forum. I went overboard with MS Paint on purpose, so you can poke fun at the photos all you want.
I hope the photos aren't too big.
Parts: (2) 18-pin IC Sockets from all electronics for .30 each, plus $7.00 shipping = $7.60
(2) MCZ3001DB Shindengen IC's from tristate module for $5.99 each, plus $2.25 shipping = $14.23
Total cost: $21.83
"Step 1" shows how easy it was to shift the heavy TV sideways, while remaining on it's stand, to remove the screws and cover. Arrow points at general location for those troublesome "MCZ" IC's.
"Step 2" shows the dusty identified chips. The dust was not nearly as bad as I thought it might be.
"Step 3" shows close-up of chips.
"Step 4" shows a way to slide the TV over and access the underside without lifting the TV.
"Step 5" shows target zone.
"Step 6" shows view of target zone from underneath.
"Step 7" shows Dremel extension with cutting attachment. This made cutting through the plastic bracket a snap. The cutting wheel's diameter is not wide enough to go through the entire width of the bracket, but that won't matter.
"Step 8" shows Charlie Brown's shirt-colored cutting zones, with both IC's identified underneath.
"Step 9" shows pliers to easily snap off the bracket, as not much plastic remained to secure it.
"Step 10" shows exposed circuit board.
"Step 11" shows opposite side of cutaway plastic bracket to show that it's not solid.
"Step 12" shows mirror view to help check your desoldering job. Using a Radio Shack desoldering bulb made this part really easy.
"Steps 13 and 14" show a chip puller in use for removing and replacing it with the new 6501 chip first. When the TV didn't power up, I replaced the old 6501 and repeated the same thing with the 8002. Goooooooal!!!
Dave - 1
Landfill - zero