Thank you for the information provided in this thread. My KV-36XBR400 had the seven flashes problem and a quick search on Google took me to this thread.
I ordered four chips from TSM (two replacements for future), four sockets from Radio Shack (four incase I messed up the soldering of the sockets), and some .036 60/40 solder. All total I think my bill + shipping was ~$33. That beats the pants off of the local repair guy that wanted $50 to come out to look at it. When I told him what the problem probably was, based on information on this site, I was told that IF
(with his emphases heavily on IF) this is the problem, it would cost between $250-$400 depending on what else he finds.
A little history on me, which may provide hope to those that are nervous about doing this:
I have never soldered in my life. I have never desoldered in my life. While I have assembled my own computers before, all I did was plug things into sockets on the MB, never have I actually "built" the components. This whole thing was new to me. However after reading this entire thread (at least three times), I figured I would give it a shot. I took the photos that eclipsedave provided along with the information provided by RobertF, printed it out, ordered the parts, and went to it
ok that was a lie. I ACTUALLY went down to my local Radio Shack and purchased a breadboard and a few small components (two resistors, two 8 pin sockets, and one 8 pin chip). I then spent an hour or so each night for four nights soldering and desoldering the parts until I understood what needed to be done. The "test" parts costs me roughly $20 but it was well worth it. When I actually was in the TV and desoldering, I just kept thinking back to what I had done in practice. A funny thing: During practice I found that the solder pump worked much better than the wick....however during the actual desoldering on the TV I found the wick to work 1000% better. I had four total pins that would not cleanly desolder, but once again falling back to this thread (and the pinball machine article RobertF/Bob wrote), I remembered the suggestion to resolder those and try again...sure enough they came right out. I found the soldering part to be much much easier than the desoldering.
Some tips for folks like me:
1) Place the TV on its face. I tried to place it on its top but it would not balance, plus im not sure this is good for the TV.
2) If your TV is like mine, you will need to not only cut the bar of plastic that eclipsedave showed in his picture, but you will also need to cut away a little of the base "plate" (plastic). I could not get my board to move out enough to not cut this base plate, but a quick cut with the high speed grinder took care of that.
3) Practice on either some old components you have laying around (like an old modem), or purchase a breadboard and some cheap components from Radio Shack. The practice here will help, lord knows it helped me.
4) READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD and print out eclipsedave's pictures.
5) READ THIS ENTIRE THREAD and read RobertF's pinball repair PDF.
6) Read #4 and #5 again.
7) Remember to ground yourself before you handle the board or any of the chips.
8) Take your time, esp when desoldering. If one wont come clean, stop, let the part/board cool. Resolder the pin, stop, let the part/board cool. Then desolder again.
9) THIS IS A GOOD ONE I THINK : If you are going to use sockets like I did, make sure you "fit" the chips into the sockets BEFORE you solder the sockets into place. I am sure all of the pros on this forum are giggling as they read this, but I did not "fit" my first chip into the socket and spent probably 10 minutes trying to get it to fit into the socket. Finally I took it and fitted it into the other socket (that I had not soldered yet) and what do you know, it went right in after that.
Anyway, thanks again for the awesome information. Another 250lb TV is working instead of making its way to a dump somewhere.
**EDIT** I forgot to mention that I just used my dads old 15w solder iron, worked like a champ. I wanted to get a nice temp controlled one, but no more soldering than I plan to do I figured the borrowed 15w one would be fine