You have a Sony that won't power on and the standby light blinks... Help and suggesti - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1771 of 1800 Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 5 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i replaced the 2- MCZ3001DB chips,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1800 Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmce View Post
i replaced the 2- MCZ3001DB chips,
Thanks Art, was not sure which XBR you were talking about. Good for you...
artyusmce likes this.
post #1773 of 1800 Old 08-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
came across this site that would greatly uplift my repair skills...good job everyone..

i need help on my sony trinitron 21 in TV KV-21DA1 model which does not power on and stays on standby mode with 4 blinking lights pattern..does anybody here already encounter such problem?if then, need your help where to start troubleshooting...

thanks,
louiboy
post #1774 of 1800 Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 35
This problem (and easy repair) put me off Sony products after a lifetime of support.
I was (and am) flummoxed that Sony would let a problem like this into the wild and not do anything about it. Bad caps or poor design, it doesn't really matter which it is.
Sony should work on good products and quit worrying about "copy protection" so much.
post #1775 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 12 Post(s)
I have a sony kv-34xbr800 tv that just wont turn on.
it has 6 blinking standby lights.

i tried unplugging it and resetting it. no luck

can someone summarize what is wrong? by a quick scan it looks like its the MIC chips but can someone explain please.

i have no soldering experience so most likely wont be able to do it by myself.

do local tv repair shops know how to repair this issue? also if it is the chips it sounds like its $20 worth of parts. should i just buy them and then have the repair guys repair it.

or should i just purchase a new tv...

thanks and looking forward to your help
post #1776 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 71 Post(s)
Liked: 51
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown017 View Post
I have a sony kv-34xbr800 tv that just wont turn on.
it has 6 blinking standby lights.

i tried unplugging it and resetting it. no luck

can someone summarize what is wrong? by a quick scan it looks like its the MIC chips but can someone explain please.

i have no soldering experience so most likely wont be able to do it by myself.

do local tv repair shops know how to repair this issue? also if it is the chips it sounds like its $20 worth of parts. should i just buy them and then have the repair guys repair it.

or should i just purchase a new tv...

thanks and looking forward to your help
Depends on how you view it. Do you want to preserve one of Sony's last & best CRT TV's? Or are you pretty much done, and want to move on? Only you can answer that. Is this a spare TV, or your main viewer?

Personally, a 34" TV screen is small by today's standards, and if it were a main viewer, and in pristine condition, I'd do both. I'd buy myself a 55"-65" flatscreen Samsung Plasma before they are all bought out, and keep the Sony 34"er to tinker on in your spare time. Parts are cheap, and you may discover a new hobby. There are some great DIY posts in this thread to walk you through it.
post #1777 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Depends on how you view it. Do you want to preserve one of Sony's last & best CRT TV's? Or are you pretty much done, and want to move on? Only you can answer that. Is this a spare TV, or your main viewer?

Personally, a 34" TV screen is small by today's standards, and if it were a main viewer, and in pristine condition, I'd do both. I'd buy myself a 55"-65" flatscreen Samsung Plasma before they are all bought out, and keep the Sony 34"er to tinker on in your spare time. Parts are cheap, and you may discover a new hobby. There are some great DIY posts in this thread to walk you through it.
it is a main for my mother. it has been perfectly good for her the last 10 years.
problem is she doesnt have much money to spend and i dont have much time to figure it out.

id love to do it cheap but it sounds like some people replace the chips and it still doesnt work. please correct me if i am wrong.

is it the MIC chips for 6 blinking standby lights?
post #1778 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 06:12 PM

Quote:

and arent plasmas really expensive?
post #1779 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
it is a main for my mother. it has been perfectly good for her the last 10 years.
problem is she doesnt have much money to spend and i dont have much time to figure it out.

id love to do it cheap but it sounds like some people replace the chips and it still doesnt work. please correct me if i am wrong.

That's right. No guarantees that the chip replacements will fix your problem. For some it's worked like a charm, for others not the case. Unless you know of an old-school TV repair guy in your area that will do it for a reasonable cost, then I can't recommend doing this fix. Reason is you said you don't have much time to figure it out, and you don't sound like the person that tinkers with old gear.

That TV was a top-tier Sony at the time it was new. You'll find that Tv's have got a whole lot cheaper and screen sizes have grown larger since 2004. Lots of deals out there, and then there's the buy "used" option. Why not buy her a new TV as an early Christmas present? The larger screens are easier on the eyes for older folks.
post #1780 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 06:24 PM

Quote:
That's right. No guarantees that the chip replacements will fix your problem. For some it's worked like a charm, for others not the case. Unless you know of an old-school TV repair guy in your area that will do it for a reasonable cost, then I can't recommend doing this fix. Reason is you said you don't have much time to figure it out, and you don't sound like the person that tinkers with old gear.

That TV was a top-tier Sony at the time it was new. You'll find that Tv's have got a whole lot cheaper and screen sizes have grown larger since 2004. Lots of deals out there, and then there's the buy "used" option. Why not buy her a new TV as an early Christmas present? The larger screens are easier on the eyes for older folks.
i dont mind trying to fix it but i know absolutely nothing about soldering...

any recommendations on tvs? i hated searching for my sony 47hx850 tv 2012.
just want one good for sports as she watches alot as well as movies and shows and occasion gaming
post #1781 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i dont mind trying to fix it but i know absolutely nothing about soldering...

any recommendations on tvs? i hated searching for my sony 47hx850 tv 2012.
just want one good for sports as she watches alot as well as movies and shows and occasion gaming
I'd recommend the TV I bought in late Dec. 2013 but I doubt there's any leftover. That's the Panasonic ST60 Series. Biggest bang for your buck, and it doesn't seem like you want to spring for a VT or ZT Series, which is/was Panasonic's Top Tier Plasma HDTV. The Plasma TV's will give you more film-like viewing experience, has no viewing angle problems, and is superior for motion (translates into great for sports). Not to mention the excellent black levels and color. It's more CRT-like than the other video tech.

If you can't find a Panasonic Plasma, then my next pick would be Samsung but I'm not well-versed on their model line. I'd visit the Samsung forums on AVS, as there are guys on there with a lot of experience with Samsungs. After that, maybe an LG. As for LED/LCD, you've asked the wrong person. I'm just waiting in the wings for an OLED 4K TV to develop its tech to perfection, as well as a resonable price for a 70-80"er...I give it about 4-5yrs.
post #1782 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I'd recommend the TV I bought in late Dec. 2013 but I doubt there's any leftover. That's the Panasonic ST60 Series. Biggest bang for your buck, and it doesn't seem like you want to spring for a VT or ZT Series, which is/was Panasonic's Top Tier Plasma HDTV. The Plasma TV's will give you more film-like viewing experience, has no viewing angle problems, and is superior for motion (translates into great for sports). Not to mention the excellent black levels and color. It's more CRT-like than the other video tech.

If you can't find a Panasonic Plasma, then my next pick would be Samsung but I'm not well-versed on their model line. I'd visit the Samsung forums on AVS, as there are guys on there with a lot of experience with Samsungs. After that, maybe an LG. As for LED/LCD, you've asked the wrong person. I'm just waiting in the wings for an OLED 4K TV to develop its tech to perfection, as well as a resonable price for a 70-80"er...I give it about 4-5yrs.
thanks for your help.

is the st60 really $2000 and above?!

most i would go is probably $1000. are there any good plasmas for that price range?
are plasmas good for gaming as well?

what about the burn in, the overheating, the expensive power bill on plasmas?
post #1783 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
thanks for your help.

is the st60 really $2000 and above?!

most i would go is probably $1000. are there any good plasmas for that price range?
are plasmas good for gaming as well?

what about the burn in, the overheating, the expensive power bill on plasmas?
I paid $1500 for my 60ST60 on Amazon. But that was in December 2013. I guess these TV's are in high demand since they have been discontinued. Call around and search your area for open box sales, demo floor models, etc. You might get lucky. Otherwise, checkout the Samsung models, which I think will become scarce too in not already. I've taken myself out of the buying market since December as I now have a TV that I'm thoroughly satisfied with thus far, and have not had a reason to shop around, etc. You can get a pretty damn good TV if $1000 is your budget. Lots of 50"ers around. Don't forget Costco, Sams Club, and other wholesale warehouses. Good luck, and let me know what you end up with.
post #1784 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I paid $1500 for my 60ST60 on Amazon. But that was in December 2013. I guess these TV's are in high demand since they have been discontinued. Call around and search your area for open box sales, demo floor models, etc. You might get lucky. Otherwise, checkout the Samsung models, which I think will become scarce too in not already. I've taken myself out of the buying market since December as I now have a TV that I'm thoroughly satisfied with thus far, and have not had a reason to shop around, etc. You can get a pretty damn good TV if $1000 is your budget. Lots of 50"ers around. Don't forget Costco, Sams Club, and other wholesale warehouses. Good luck, and let me know what you end up with.
okay will do.

what about the burn in issues, overheating and increase of electricity for plasmas?
post #1785 of 1800 Old 09-29-2014, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
okay will do.

what about the burn in issues, overheating and increase of electricity for plasmas?
Red herrings, and urban myths dating from the very early days of plasma production, and continually perpetuated by folks for a variety of hidden agendas. Ask the A/V professionals why they chose Plasma TV's as the BEST AT CNET every year. Or ask why Plasma Tv's have won every shootout year in and year out. Not any more though because plasma tech has been discontinued, and you will soon have no choice in the matter.

If you're concerned about those things, go get an LCD/LED, but you asked me for my best choice and I told you. It's your money, so get what makes you comfortable in purchasing. I will close by saying that I'm not worried, concerned or bothered by the urban myths, and glad I got my Panasonic plasma just before production ended.
post #1786 of 1800 Old 09-30-2014, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 16 Post(s)
Liked: 39
Quote:

In the meantime on a larger more costly TV decision, you can buy her a new one around this size (actually a touch bigger) on sale for about $200. Paying a tech to fix this one will probably cost at least half that. There's also great deals on used and even later versions of your broken TV on Craigslist if you have the means to move the beast as folks practically [and sometimes] give them away so someone else will move it out for them.

And don't forget Black Friday is right around the corner. GL!

post #1787 of 1800 Old 09-30-2014, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Red herrings, and urban myths dating from the very early days of plasma production, and continually perpetuated by folks for a variety of hidden agendas. Ask the A/V professionals why they chose Plasma TV's as the BEST AT CNET every year. Or ask why Plasma Tv's have won every shootout year in and year out. Not any more though because plasma tech has been discontinued, and you will soon have no choice in the matter.

If you're concerned about those things, go get an LCD/LED, but you asked me for my best choice and I told you. It's your money, so get what makes you comfortable in purchasing. I will close by saying that I'm not worried, concerned or bothered by the urban myths, and glad I got my Panasonic plasma just before production ended.
i was just asking because at a friends house, i saw burn in from logos and such if the tv was left on pause for a bit. maybe its because it was a low end plasma? or because it was human error by leaving it paused and on.

why is the plasma tech being discontinued?!
post #1788 of 1800 Old 09-30-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
In the meantime on a larger more costly TV decision, you can buy her a new one around this size (actually a touch bigger) on sale for about $200. Paying a tech to fix this one will probably cost at least half that. There's also great deals on used and even later versions of your broken TV on Craigslist if you have the means to move the beast as folks practically [and sometimes] give them away so someone else will move it out for them.

And don't forget Black Friday is right around the corner. GL!
okay i will look.

so i contacted 1 repair shop and said it would be $200.

i asked around and my coworker said he can solder but it wont be pretty. does this matter? i want the best chance this will work.

what all parts should i order? it looks like it could be a range of things including the mc3001 chips and some capacitors and resistors.

Last edited by jtown017; 09-30-2014 at 11:10 AM.
post #1789 of 1800 Old 09-30-2014, 07:11 PM

sorry about the repeat posts, but i bought 2 sockets and 2 mcz3001db ics.

1. do i need any capacitors or resistors?

2. does this 25watt solder kit work? http://www.amazon.com/Elenco-Electro.../dp/B0002LLWZY
some say it doesnt get hot enough.

3. will my kv-34xbr800 have a third ic on the A board?

4. there seems to be some discussion on whether the sockets are the cause of a shorten chip life. should i go with them or not?

5. does this repair reset the tvs settings or will it power up to its regular self? i really do not want to touch the service menu

6. do i solder or insert the ic to the socket first before soldering the socket to the board?

7. do i need flux?

8. do i need to wet the solder pen/iron w/ solder? some youtube videos say not to do that but some posts say proper wetting needs to be done

thanks again for the help

Last edited by jtown017; 09-30-2014 at 08:08 PM.
post #1790 of 1800 Old 10-02-2014, 07:54 AM

Quoted: 29 Post(s)
Liked: 19
1) Possible but a low chance.
2) 25watts may not be hot enough but the quality of the soldering iron is influential as a poor quality tip won't transmit heat very well even at 40watts. It's better to have an iron that's a bit too hot than too cold. I'd get a 35watts or 40watts. The iron will be cold when first turned on so that gives a bit of temperature control. Just don't press down on the PCB too long as that will cause the copper pads to lift and detach like another person had happen from the 80watt iron.
3) I don't know but it's far more likely for the MCZ3001 chip on the D board to fail than the one on the A board.
4) Just don't put it in upside down or something like that . One person had his chip pop out but that hasn't been much of a problem as the sockets are usually tight.
5) It doesn't alter the stored settings.
6) You desolder the existing chip, insert the socket and solder it in. Then insert the chip into the socket. Take note of which way up the original chip was with a camera.
7) The desoldering braid should have flux in it. Also, get solder with flux core. Look for 0.7mm or 0.66mm solder if possible. I wouldn't recommend leaded solder as it's really toxic.

Where did you order the MCZ3001 chips from? There are some fake ones floating around.

Quote:
so i contacted 1 repair shop and said it would be $200.
That's actually not too bad if that includes call out.

Quote:
i asked around and my coworker said he can solder but it wont be pretty. does this matter? i want the best chance this will work.
It depends on what he means by not pretty. If he's used to soldering electronic components he'd probably know what to do. If he's used to soldering pipes it may not something he'd be able to manage.

Read through CRTGAMER's thread at this link
Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide
also follow the link to the Racketboy thread.

If you're doing this yourself and aren't used to soldering, my suggestion is to just replace one the chip at IC8002 first and see if that works. Replacing two chips increases the chances of a mistake and it's probable only one chip has died. There are tutorials on Youtube.
post #1791 of 1800 Old 10-02-2014, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by homerging View Post
1) Possible but a low chance.
2) 25watts may not be hot enough but the quality of the soldering iron is influential as a poor quality tip won't transmit heat very well even at 40watts. It's better to have an iron that's a bit too hot than too cold. I'd get a 35watts or 40watts. The iron will be cold when first turned on so that gives a bit of temperature control. Just don't press down on the PCB too long as that will cause the copper pads to lift and detach like another person had happen from the 80watt iron.
3) I don't know but it's far more likely for the MCZ3001 chip on the D board to fail than the one on the A board.
4) Just don't put it in upside down or something like that . One person had his chip pop out but that hasn't been much of a problem as the sockets are usually tight.
5) It doesn't alter the stored settings.
6) You desolder the existing chip, insert the socket and solder it in. Then insert the chip into the socket. Take note of which way up the original chip was with a camera.
7) The desoldering braid should have flux in it. Also, get solder with flux core. Look for 0.7mm or 0.66mm solder if possible. I wouldn't recommend leaded solder as it's really toxic.

Where did you order the MCZ3001 chips from? There are some fake ones floating around.

That's actually not too bad if that includes call out.

It depends on what he means by not pretty. If he's used to soldering electronic components he'd probably know what to do. If he's used to soldering pipes it may not something he'd be able to manage.

Read through CRTGAMER's thread at this link
Sony Trinitron WEGA RLOD Twenty Dollar Repair Guide
also follow the link to the Racketboy thread.

If you're doing this yourself and aren't used to soldering, my suggestion is to just replace one the chip at IC8002 first and see if that works. Replacing two chips increases the chances of a mistake and it's probable only one chip has died. There are tutorials on Youtube.
thank you thank you for the response!

after more research. i think the best idea is to have it repaired the by local tv repair for $200. they knew it was the ICs off the bat so i think i will go with that instead of the potential of me screwing something up especially since its my first time.

here are the ICs i bought (are these fake?)
http://www.ebay.com/itm/New-MCZ3001D...:X:RTQ:US:1123

the shop said they have the ICs in stock so might just go with theirs and return mine.

couple questions,

1.) should i make sure they use sockets?
2.) should i also make sure they dont solder the pins holes that werent soldered in the first place? i believe its pin #13 & 17
3.) will a error code need to be cleared after the repair?

im assuming they know this but ill make sure to ask the questions if i should.

do you know how i should clean the CRT tv's screen? i know it has a anti-reflective coating and was wondering what should i use. would the iphone iklear cleaner work?

Last edited by jtown017; 10-02-2014 at 01:46 PM.
post #1792 of 1800 Old 10-03-2014, 12:00 AM

Quote:
here are the ICs i bought (are these fake?)
Read this post and compare date codes
http://k0lee.com/2011/05/fixing-a-so...comment-497932

Counterfeit MCZ3001DB chips are being made in China and one person on another forum said his TV caught fire after installing a fake. It's probable some of the fakes are good but others may be decoys and others may be dangerous. Many of the capacitors and other electronic components sold on eBay are fakes.

Sony doesn't make them, the originals were made in Japan by Shindengen. I think Sony did supply them to authorised repair places at a higher price. It should still be possible to order genuine MCZ3001DB chips through Amazon (from "B&D") and a few other reputable parts websites such as the ones listed on this page.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tributors.html
The Pacific Semiconductors mentioned on that page lists plenty of stock. Audio Labs of Georgia lists their MCZ3001DB chips as "Tested.".

Quote:
the shop said they have the ICs in stock so might just go with theirs and return mine.
If they were supplied by Sony they should be fine but I'd doubt random eBay ICs. You should inform them there are fake MCZ3001DB chips about though and that some of the real ones might be dead on arrival.

Quote:
should i make sure they use sockets?
Yes. Usually for this kind of IC repair a socket wouldn't be used. But these chips can fail again and having a socket makes it much easier to deal with a bad chip.

Quote:
should i also make sure they dont solder the pins holes that werent soldered in the first place? i believe its pin #13 & 17
Yes but if they know what they're doing they're unlikely to do that.

Quote:
will a error code need to be cleared after the repair?
No, it should turn on normally although it's possible the TV's picture might have changed slightly because of voltage improvements.

Quote:
do you know how i should clean the CRT tv's screen?
I don't but I know many cleaners can damage or cause streaks on a TV screen. A clean microfibre cloth is a good start. The screen scratches and retains fingerprints really easily so that's something to be careful of.

The two MCZ3001 ICs on the D board don't fail in the same way as each other so it's usually possible to revive the TV just by swapping the two chips. But it's preferable and probably safer to have the professional install two new chips.

Your model, the 34xbr800, should have DVI with HDCP which is effectively HDMI without digital audio. It should be possible to plug an HDMI device into it with an HDMI to DVI adapter and a couple of RCA cables for the audio.

Last edited by homerging; 10-03-2014 at 01:42 AM.
post #1793 of 1800 Old 10-03-2014, 09:28 AM

Quote:
Read this post and compare date codes
http://k0lee.com/2011/05/fixing-a-so...comment-497932

Counterfeit MCZ3001DB chips are being made in China and one person on another forum said his TV caught fire after installing a fake. It's probable some of the fakes are good but others may be decoys and others may be dangerous. Many of the capacitors and other electronic components sold on eBay are fakes.

Sony doesn't make them, the originals were made in Japan by Shindengen. I think Sony did supply them to authorised repair places at a higher price. It should still be possible to order genuine MCZ3001DB chips through Amazon (from "B&D") and a few other reputable parts websites such as the ones listed on this page.
http://www.hometheatershack.com/foru...tributors.html
The Pacific Semiconductors mentioned on that page lists plenty of stock. Audio Labs of Georgia lists their MCZ3001DB chips as "Tested.".

If they were supplied by Sony they should be fine but I'd doubt random eBay ICs. You should inform them there are fake MCZ3001DB chips about though and that some of the real ones might be dead on arrival.

Yes. Usually for this kind of IC repair a socket wouldn't be used. But these chips can fail again and having a socket makes it much easier to deal with a bad chip.

Yes but if they know what they're doing they're unlikely to do that.

No, it should turn on normally although it's possible the TV's picture might have changed slightly because of voltage improvements.

I don't but I know many cleaners can damage or cause streaks on a TV screen. A clean microfibre cloth is a good start. The screen scratches and retains fingerprints really easily so that's something to be careful of.

The two MCZ3001 ICs on the D board don't fail in the same way as each other so it's usually possible to revive the TV just by swapping the two chips. But it's preferable and probably safer to have the professional install two new chips.

Your model, the 34xbr800, should have DVI with HDCP which is effectively HDMI without digital audio. It should be possible to plug an HDMI device into it with an HDMI to DVI adapter and a couple of RCA cables for the audio.
thank you sooo much!

ill return the chips from ebay. it has the bad numbers.

ill make sure to ask for them to install sockets.

what are the steps to do if the picture changes due to the voltage improvements unless the change is to a better picture!

btw, tried the tv after 4 days of being unplugged and it started first time. but im assuming itll get less likely to work and constantly have 6 blinks, please correct me if i am wrong.

currently, i have component cables for HD. would that a DVI adapter w/ hdmi still be a better option?

Last edited by jtown017; 10-03-2014 at 09:32 AM.
post #1794 of 1800 Old 10-04-2014, 09:44 AM

Quote:
thank you sooo much!

ill return the chips from ebay. it has the bad numbers.

ill make sure to ask for them to install sockets.

what are the steps to do if the picture changes due to the voltage improvements unless the change is to a better picture!
There probably won't be a noticeable difference. The way of changing hidden settings like those to reduce overscan is in the service menu. It's possible to wreck the TV by making a mistake in there so you shouldn't go into it without knowing what you're doing.
THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries
The Sony HD CRTs were usually shipped with lots of overscan and red push and sometimes crushed blacks so many people have gone into the service menu and fixed those problems. Or in some cases ended up posting a variation of "Help I changed something by mistake and the picture went blue. So I reset everything and now my TV won't work!".
Quote:
btw, tried the tv after 4 days of being unplugged and it started first time. but im assuming itll get less likely to work and constantly have 6 blinks, please correct me if i am wrong.
That is correct. It may work for a few weeks but it will stop working.
Quote:
currently, i have component cables for HD. would that a DVI adapter w/ hdmi still be a better option?
If the devices really do HD over component it's probably ok as it is but it may be worth a try. Possibly all the Sony CRTs with HDMI or DVI inputs do an internal conversion from digital to analogue and back to digital again instead of doing a direct digital connection.

Most devices, especially pay TV receivers, won't do HD without HDMI/DVI HDCP, and DVDs aren't allowed to be upscaled over component If the DRC button on the remote works it's outputting SD.

Last edited by homerging; 10-04-2014 at 09:49 AM.
post #1795 of 1800 Old 10-07-2014, 11:51 AM

Quote:
There probably won't be a noticeable difference. The way of changing hidden settings like those to reduce overscan is in the service menu. It's possible to wreck the TV by making a mistake in there so you shouldn't go into it without knowing what you're doing.
THE SONY SERVICE CODES - Articles, Comments, Discoveries
The Sony HD CRTs were usually shipped with lots of overscan and red push and sometimes crushed blacks so many people have gone into the service menu and fixed those problems. Or in some cases ended up posting a variation of "Help I changed something by mistake and the picture went blue. So I reset everything and now my TV won't work!".
That is correct. It may work for a few weeks but it will stop working.
If the devices really do HD over component it's probably ok as it is but it may be worth a try. Possibly all the Sony CRTs with HDMI or DVI inputs do an internal conversion from digital to analogue and back to digital again instead of doing a direct digital connection.

Most devices, especially pay TV receivers, won't do HD without HDMI/DVI HDCP, and DVDs aren't allowed to be upscaled over component If the DRC button on the remote works it's outputting SD.
Ya i do not want to touch the service menus.

Right now (when the tv was working), there are some areas of the image being cut off. It happened when i transitioned over to Directv and their DVR. Some of the top menu bar info is cut off. As well as espn, the news ticker on the left is cut off half way.

here is a link to another thread i made a year ago. sounds like other users said it was overscan.

Sony KV-34XBR800 directv HR34 problem

Not sure if that is related to the tv or to directv but we have been living w it.

The tech comes this afternoon. The only thing i am worried about is lifting the tv off the stand and back onto the stand or turning the stand/tv sideways so he can get at it. i just dont want the surround system copper wires (old school) to be damaged or unplugged. and i am worried about only have two people lifting it.

ughhhh
post #1796 of 1800 Old 10-07-2014, 06:09 PM

homerging -

the tech came out today and installed the two new chips with sockets (as i asked him to).
he knew exactly what he was doing and whipped it out fast.

it worked.

the picture is same besides at the top it has a convex/concave thing going on. the top banner on say the tv guide slopes downwards.

or the station logo such as ABC at the top is slanted at an angle. its not noticeable when the picture is going but if there is any logo or banner it is noticeable.

any ideas or will this have to be service menu?
post #1797 of 1800 Old 10-12-2014, 01:16 PM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
Can you post a picture of this?
post #1798 of 1800 Old 10-13-2014, 03:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
Can you post a picture of this?
I have attached a photo. I took this the other night real quick. Don't mind the artifacts caused by the camera.

I will try to get better pictures tonight.

The more I watch tv, the less i see problems with the tilt. It definitely has overscan. I only notice it on tickers (see bottom of pic) and im assuming its because i wouldnt notice picture being lost unless it was text. hope that makes sense.

you can kinda see the curve illusion. its almost like due to glass but maybe its due to the overscan.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_2290.jpg
Views:	17
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	309714  
post #1799 of 1800 Old 10-15-2014, 06:49 AM

Quoted: 6 Post(s)
As a tilt goes, that doesn't look terrible. It does look like convergence is going out in the top right corner though, see the blue-purple tint above the white box? It should be within it. And even that isn't very bad. I would think if you tackled convergence then the problem would go away entirely or be even less noticeable. Do you have a way to display a test pattern? It will help you get things shaped well.
post #1800 of 1800 Old 10-16-2014, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiquidSnake View Post
As a tilt goes, that doesn't look terrible. It does look like convergence is going out in the top right corner though, see the blue-purple tint above the white box? It should be within it. And even that isn't very bad. I would think if you tackled convergence then the problem would go away entirely or be even less noticeable. Do you have a way to display a test pattern? It will help you get things shaped well.
oh gosh. yes i do notice but barely notice it while watching tv. so im not sure ill mess with that stuff. i dont know much regarding test patterns.

i really dont want to mess with the service menu but the overscan is the biggest problem.

that is really the only thing noticeable while watching tv. and it is distracting. i heard there are only 4 things to change for that in the service menu. problem is keeping the aspect ratio correct.

ya?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page