You have a Sony that won't power on and the standby light blinks... Help and suggesti - Page 60 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 
 1Likes

post #1771 of 1788 Old 07-17-2014, 07:22 PM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 10
i replaced the 2- MCZ3001DB chips,
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1772 of 1788 Old 07-18-2014, 05:02 PM

Quoted: 25 Post(s)
Liked: 15
Quote:
Originally Posted by artyusmce View Post
i replaced the 2- MCZ3001DB chips,
Thanks Art, was not sure which XBR you were talking about. Good for you...
artyusmce likes this.

To view links or images in signatures your post count must be 0 or greater. You currently have 0 posts.
post #1773 of 1788 Old 08-17-2014, 10:01 AM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 0
came across this site that would greatly uplift my repair skills...good job everyone..

i need help on my sony trinitron 21 in TV KV-21DA1 model which does not power on and stays on standby mode with 4 blinking lights pattern..does anybody here already encounter such problem?if then, need your help where to start troubleshooting...

thanks,
louiboy
post #1774 of 1788 Old 08-18-2014, 06:30 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 23 Post(s)
Liked: 34
This problem (and easy repair) put me off Sony products after a lifetime of support.
I was (and am) flummoxed that Sony would let a problem like this into the wild and not do anything about it. Bad caps or poor design, it doesn't really matter which it is.
Sony should work on good products and quit worrying about "copy protection" so much.
post #1775 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 05:34 PM

Quoted: 11 Post(s)
I have a sony kv-34xbr800 tv that just wont turn on.
it has 6 blinking standby lights.

i tried unplugging it and resetting it. no luck

can someone summarize what is wrong? by a quick scan it looks like its the MIC chips but can someone explain please.

i have no soldering experience so most likely wont be able to do it by myself.

do local tv repair shops know how to repair this issue? also if it is the chips it sounds like its $20 worth of parts. should i just buy them and then have the repair guys repair it.

or should i just purchase a new tv...

thanks and looking forward to your help
post #1776 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 05:52 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 68 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown017 View Post
I have a sony kv-34xbr800 tv that just wont turn on.
it has 6 blinking standby lights.

i tried unplugging it and resetting it. no luck

can someone summarize what is wrong? by a quick scan it looks like its the MIC chips but can someone explain please.

i have no soldering experience so most likely wont be able to do it by myself.

do local tv repair shops know how to repair this issue? also if it is the chips it sounds like its $20 worth of parts. should i just buy them and then have the repair guys repair it.

or should i just purchase a new tv...

thanks and looking forward to your help
Depends on how you view it. Do you want to preserve one of Sony's last & best CRT TV's? Or are you pretty much done, and want to move on? Only you can answer that. Is this a spare TV, or your main viewer?

Personally, a 34" TV screen is small by today's standards, and if it were a main viewer, and in pristine condition, I'd do both. I'd buy myself a 55"-65" flatscreen Samsung Plasma before they are all bought out, and keep the Sony 34"er to tinker on in your spare time. Parts are cheap, and you may discover a new hobby. There are some great DIY posts in this thread to walk you through it.
post #1777 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 06:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post
Depends on how you view it. Do you want to preserve one of Sony's last & best CRT TV's? Or are you pretty much done, and want to move on? Only you can answer that. Is this a spare TV, or your main viewer?

Personally, a 34" TV screen is small by today's standards, and if it were a main viewer, and in pristine condition, I'd do both. I'd buy myself a 55"-65" flatscreen Samsung Plasma before they are all bought out, and keep the Sony 34"er to tinker on in your spare time. Parts are cheap, and you may discover a new hobby. There are some great DIY posts in this thread to walk you through it.
it is a main for my mother. it has been perfectly good for her the last 10 years.
problem is she doesnt have much money to spend and i dont have much time to figure it out.

id love to do it cheap but it sounds like some people replace the chips and it still doesnt work. please correct me if i am wrong.

is it the MIC chips for 6 blinking standby lights?
post #1778 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 06:12 PM

Quote:

and arent plasmas really expensive?
post #1779 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
it is a main for my mother. it has been perfectly good for her the last 10 years.
problem is she doesnt have much money to spend and i dont have much time to figure it out.

id love to do it cheap but it sounds like some people replace the chips and it still doesnt work. please correct me if i am wrong.

That's right. No guarantees that the chip replacements will fix your problem. For some it's worked like a charm, for others not the case. Unless you know of an old-school TV repair guy in your area that will do it for a reasonable cost, then I can't recommend doing this fix. Reason is you said you don't have much time to figure it out, and you don't sound like the person that tinkers with old gear.

That TV was a top-tier Sony at the time it was new. You'll find that Tv's have got a whole lot cheaper and screen sizes have grown larger since 2004. Lots of deals out there, and then there's the buy "used" option. Why not buy her a new TV as an early Christmas present? The larger screens are easier on the eyes for older folks.
post #1780 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 06:24 PM

Quote:
That's right. No guarantees that the chip replacements will fix your problem. For some it's worked like a charm, for others not the case. Unless you know of an old-school TV repair guy in your area that will do it for a reasonable cost, then I can't recommend doing this fix. Reason is you said you don't have much time to figure it out, and you don't sound like the person that tinkers with old gear.

That TV was a top-tier Sony at the time it was new. You'll find that Tv's have got a whole lot cheaper and screen sizes have grown larger since 2004. Lots of deals out there, and then there's the buy "used" option. Why not buy her a new TV as an early Christmas present? The larger screens are easier on the eyes for older folks.
i dont mind trying to fix it but i know absolutely nothing about soldering...

any recommendations on tvs? i hated searching for my sony 47hx850 tv 2012.
just want one good for sports as she watches alot as well as movies and shows and occasion gaming
post #1781 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 07:08 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
i dont mind trying to fix it but i know absolutely nothing about soldering...

any recommendations on tvs? i hated searching for my sony 47hx850 tv 2012.
just want one good for sports as she watches alot as well as movies and shows and occasion gaming
I'd recommend the TV I bought in late Dec. 2013 but I doubt there's any leftover. That's the Panasonic ST60 Series. Biggest bang for your buck, and it doesn't seem like you want to spring for a VT or ZT Series, which is/was Panasonic's Top Tier Plasma HDTV. The Plasma TV's will give you more film-like viewing experience, has no viewing angle problems, and is superior for motion (translates into great for sports). Not to mention the excellent black levels and color. It's more CRT-like than the other video tech.

If you can't find a Panasonic Plasma, then my next pick would be Samsung but I'm not well-versed on their model line. I'd visit the Samsung forums on AVS, as there are guys on there with a lot of experience with Samsungs. After that, maybe an LG. As for LED/LCD, you've asked the wrong person. I'm just waiting in the wings for an OLED 4K TV to develop its tech to perfection, as well as a resonable price for a 70-80"er...I give it about 4-5yrs.
post #1782 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 08:41 PM

Quote:
I'd recommend the TV I bought in late Dec. 2013 but I doubt there's any leftover. That's the Panasonic ST60 Series. Biggest bang for your buck, and it doesn't seem like you want to spring for a VT or ZT Series, which is/was Panasonic's Top Tier Plasma HDTV. The Plasma TV's will give you more film-like viewing experience, has no viewing angle problems, and is superior for motion (translates into great for sports). Not to mention the excellent black levels and color. It's more CRT-like than the other video tech.

If you can't find a Panasonic Plasma, then my next pick would be Samsung but I'm not well-versed on their model line. I'd visit the Samsung forums on AVS, as there are guys on there with a lot of experience with Samsungs. After that, maybe an LG. As for LED/LCD, you've asked the wrong person. I'm just waiting in the wings for an OLED 4K TV to develop its tech to perfection, as well as a resonable price for a 70-80"er...I give it about 4-5yrs.
thanks for your help.

is the st60 really $2000 and above?!

most i would go is probably $1000. are there any good plasmas for that price range?
are plasmas good for gaming as well?

what about the burn in, the overheating, the expensive power bill on plasmas?
post #1783 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 08:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
thanks for your help.

is the st60 really $2000 and above?!

most i would go is probably $1000. are there any good plasmas for that price range?
are plasmas good for gaming as well?

what about the burn in, the overheating, the expensive power bill on plasmas?
I paid $1500 for my 60ST60 on Amazon. But that was in December 2013. I guess these TV's are in high demand since they have been discontinued. Call around and search your area for open box sales, demo floor models, etc. You might get lucky. Otherwise, checkout the Samsung models, which I think will become scarce too in not already. I've taken myself out of the buying market since December as I now have a TV that I'm thoroughly satisfied with thus far, and have not had a reason to shop around, etc. You can get a pretty damn good TV if $1000 is your budget. Lots of 50"ers around. Don't forget Costco, Sams Club, and other wholesale warehouses. Good luck, and let me know what you end up with.
post #1784 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 10:19 PM

Quote:
I paid $1500 for my 60ST60 on Amazon. But that was in December 2013. I guess these TV's are in high demand since they have been discontinued. Call around and search your area for open box sales, demo floor models, etc. You might get lucky. Otherwise, checkout the Samsung models, which I think will become scarce too in not already. I've taken myself out of the buying market since December as I now have a TV that I'm thoroughly satisfied with thus far, and have not had a reason to shop around, etc. You can get a pretty damn good TV if $1000 is your budget. Lots of 50"ers around. Don't forget Costco, Sams Club, and other wholesale warehouses. Good luck, and let me know what you end up with.
okay will do.

what about the burn in issues, overheating and increase of electricity for plasmas?
post #1785 of 1788 Old Yesterday, 11:41 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
okay will do.

what about the burn in issues, overheating and increase of electricity for plasmas?
Red herrings, and urban myths dating from the very early days of plasma production, and continually perpetuated by folks for a variety of hidden agendas. Ask the A/V professionals why they chose Plasma TV's as the BEST AT CNET every year. Or ask why Plasma Tv's have won every shootout year in and year out. Not any more though because plasma tech has been discontinued, and you will soon have no choice in the matter.

If you're concerned about those things, go get an LCD/LED, but you asked me for my best choice and I told you. It's your money, so get what makes you comfortable in purchasing. I will close by saying that I'm not worried, concerned or bothered by the urban myths, and glad I got my Panasonic plasma just before production ended.
post #1786 of 1788 Old Today, 07:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 10 Post(s)
Liked: 35
Quote:

In the meantime on a larger more costly TV decision, you can buy her a new one around this size (actually a touch bigger) on sale for about $200. Paying a tech to fix this one will probably cost at least half that. There's also great deals on used and even later versions of your broken TV on Craigslist if you have the means to move the beast as folks practically [and sometimes] give them away so someone else will move it out for them.

And don't forget Black Friday is right around the corner. GL!

post #1787 of 1788 Old Today, 09:22 AM

Quote:
Red herrings, and urban myths dating from the very early days of plasma production, and continually perpetuated by folks for a variety of hidden agendas. Ask the A/V professionals why they chose Plasma TV's as the BEST AT CNET every year. Or ask why Plasma Tv's have won every shootout year in and year out. Not any more though because plasma tech has been discontinued, and you will soon have no choice in the matter.

If you're concerned about those things, go get an LCD/LED, but you asked me for my best choice and I told you. It's your money, so get what makes you comfortable in purchasing. I will close by saying that I'm not worried, concerned or bothered by the urban myths, and glad I got my Panasonic plasma just before production ended.
i was just asking because at a friends house, i saw burn in from logos and such if the tv was left on pause for a bit. maybe its because it was a low end plasma? or because it was human error by leaving it paused and on.

why is the plasma tech being discontinued?!
post #1788 of 1788 Old Today, 09:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
In the meantime on a larger more costly TV decision, you can buy her a new one around this size (actually a touch bigger) on sale for about $200. Paying a tech to fix this one will probably cost at least half that. There's also great deals on used and even later versions of your broken TV on Craigslist if you have the means to move the beast as folks practically [and sometimes] give them away so someone else will move it out for them.

And don't forget Black Friday is right around the corner. GL!
okay i will look.

so i contacted 1 repair shop and said it would be $200.

i asked around and my coworker said he can solder but it wont be pretty. does this matter? i want the best chance this will work.

what all parts should i order? it looks like it could be a range of things including the mc3001 chips and some capacitors and resistors.

Last edited by jtown017; Today at 11:10 AM.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page