You have a Sony that won't power on and the standby light blinks... Help and suggesti - Page 62 - AVS Forum | Home Theater Discussions And Reviews
Baselworld is only a few weeks away. Getting the latest news is easy, Click Here for info on how to join the Watchuseek.com newsletter list. Follow our team for updates featuring event coverage, new product unveilings, watch industry news & more!

Forum Jump: 
 6Likes

post #1831 of 1843 Old 06-18-2015, 03:54 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 119 Post(s)
Liked: 60
Aha! Does it have a mechanical power button like I described of my Panny above? It could very well be that they come out of a different power conditioning state (i.e. my mechanical comes out of a completely off state for the most part, not from standby).

Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #1832 of 1843 Old 06-18-2015, 07:29 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Floydage View Post
Aha! Does it have a mechanical power button like I described of my Panny above? It could very well be that they come out of a different power conditioning state (i.e. my mechanical comes out of a completely off state for the most part, not from standby).
Not sure if the button on the set is a "mechanical power button" or not, nor do I know if turning the set on with that button causes it to "come out of a different power conditioning state" or otherwise starts it differently than using the remote does ....

But it did start right up and turn on today when I used that button again. That's the fourth time turning it on with that button has worked, and not yet failed, whereas using the remote had failed a few times and hasn't yet worked (since this problem started).

Having said that, I doubt that using the button on the set "starts it up" any differently than using the remote. I say that because I recall that in the past the set had shut itself down occasionally when I tried to turn it on, and at least a couple of times I was using the on-button on the set rather than the remote. It also occasionally shut itself down when I was turning it on using the remote, but I always assumed that these incidents were because I had accidentally hit each "on" button (on the remote and on the set) twice, thus turning it on and then turning it off again in quick succession.

That may have been what was happening; or it may have been that the ICs were beginning to fail, tho' I never had the blinking standby light before the other day.

So if the ICs were responsible for the prior incidents (where the TV started to come on and then shut off quickly before the screen lit), they did not result in a blinking standby light and the subsequent inability to get the set to turn on properly.

I suppose I'll eventually find out if using the button on the set "works" reliably, but I doubt that it's any sort of a workaround to the basic problem.

Which is to say, I just think I've been lucky for the past couple of days. From what I've read here about other people's experience, once the problem crops up the set can be coaxed to turn on for awhile before it eventually just won't come on anymore. I assume that's because the faulty IC finally goes full-failure as opposed to a more sporadic failure state after the problem first becomes apparent via the blinking standby light.
post #1833 of 1843 Old 06-19-2015, 08:24 AM
AVS Special Member

On my Panny the mechanical button takes it out of any kind of standby - there's no standby light on and the remote won't turn the TV on.

"From what I've read here about other people's experience, once the problem crops up the set can be coaxed to turn on for awhile before it eventually just won't come on anymore."

Indeed, that seems to be the case of what little I've read it about it here.

post #1834 of 1843 Old 06-19-2015, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
On my Panny the mechanical button takes it out of any kind of standby - there's no standby light on and the remote won't turn the TV on....
Ya, your Panny undoubtedly has a completely different situation with the mechanical button than these sets have. With these sets, you can turn it on either with the button or the remote.

It turned on again today using the button but I have one more time to go if I'm gonna have TV tonight. I hope my luck holds out for awhile longer because I'm quite sure this "button trick" is no real trick at all.
----
8:22 PM: On again w/ the button! My luck still good.

Last edited by T-Max; 06-19-2015 at 05:22 PM.
post #1835 of 1843 Old 06-20-2015, 08:19 AM
AVS Special Member

So I take it that unlike my Panny, it will work power up with the remote regardless of the button position...

Anyhow GL, may the button trick stay with you!

post #1836 of 1843 Old 06-20-2015, 10:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
So I take it that unlike my Panny, it will work power up with the remote regardless of the button position...
Yes. And it just now again turned on with the button. So it has consistently (knock wood) turned on with the button each and every time since this problem first showed up.

But I still think it's just dumb luck. If it continues for days and weeks and months, I guess I'll have to change my view on that.

In the meantime I'm getting the parts and practicing IC desoldering on the many other junk monitors,TVs, old computers and other similar electronic equipment I have lying around here.
Floydage likes this.

What, me worry?
post #1837 of 1843 Old 06-24-2015, 09:23 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Max View Post
Yes. And it just now again turned on with the button. So it has consistently (knock wood) turned on with the button each and every time since this problem first showed up....
Just reporting in to say that since that last post it has continued to turn on each and every time with the button on the set, including this morning. That amounts to 4 times since last post because I've only turned it on once each day (tho' I'll be turning it off later and turning it back on tonight -- or, at least, trying to).

Also note that it has turned on each time I've hit the button. There have been no failures to turn on (in which case I assume I'd have the problem again)

I have NOT tried turning it on with the remote at all other than back when the problem first cropped up, as I reported in an earlier post.

Maybe turning it on with the remote involves the problematic ICs and turning it on with the button doesn't?

Edit: ~9:05 PM: It turned turned right on again a few minutes ago using the button, and I noticed something that I don't think happened when I used the remote to try to turn it on back when this problem cropped up on the 15th. That is, when I hit the button, I see that within a second or two the screen flashes at the edges. I notice the flash at the lower right corner near the button because that's where I stand when I hit the button.

Maybe this happens with the remote as well. I dunno. But I'm certainly not going to try turning it on with the remote while the button trick is still working.
Floydage likes this.

What, me worry?

Last edited by T-Max; 06-24-2015 at 06:06 PM.
post #1838 of 1843 Old 06-26-2015, 05:48 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by T-Max View Post
...Also note that it has turned on each time I've hit the button. There have been no failures to turn on (in which case I assume I'd have the problem again)
Maybe turning it on with the remote involves the problematic ICs and turning it on with the button doesn't? ...
Well, I hate to risk jinxing myself, but I just turned on the TV for the night (using the button again) and it turned on right away with no problem.

That makes the 15th time I've turned this TV on via the button on the set since the 17th of this month -- with no failures at all.

The "blinking standby light problem" started on the 15th of the month and I "cured" it once by unplugging the set overnight and then plugging it back in next morning (see my post #1825 which is my 1st post on this problem).

Then if you read my subsequent posts you will see that I got it to turn on once more with the remote, and then I was unable to turn it on with the remote even tho' I tried 3 times (with the remote). See my post #1829 . Then (also in post #1829 ) I got it to turn on by using the button on the TV. That was on the 16th of this month.

Then in my next post (post #1830 ) I noted that I turned it on twice by using the button on the TV.

That then took me to the 17th of this month and, as I noted above, I've successfully turned it on 15 times since the 17th. Which means that since the problem cropped up, I've been able to turn the TV on successfully -- by using the button on the set itself -- a total of 18 times, with no failures and no sign of the blinking standby light problem.

So I would suggest that the next person to post with the "blinking standby light problem" try using the button on the set to turn it on and give the rest of us feedback on how that works out.

In the meantime, I'll continue to keep track of my situation and hope my luck holds out and/or that I'm on to something here, and that I never have to actually do the repair unless I want to turn the set on using the remote.

BTW, I have been using the remote to turn the set off each and every time, but I no longer use it to turn the set on.

If you don't hear from me again for awhile, it means that the button is still working for me.
Floydage likes this.

What, me worry?

Last edited by T-Max; 07-04-2015 at 11:26 AM.
post #1839 of 1843 Old 06-27-2015, 10:48 AM
AVS Special Member

Yep, you may be onto something. Glad I could help.
The only thing I can think of for others is if there was some unusual transition from remote to button (ex: unplugged set in between).

GL!

post #1840 of 1843 Old 06-28-2015, 11:24 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
...The only thing I can think of for others is if there was some unusual transition from remote to button (ex: unplugged set in between).GL!
Not sure what you mean, but I have not been unplugging the set at all other than as I said in my 1st post and the next few posts. Since I've been using the button to turn it on, I've never unplugged it again.

Also, I just turned the TV on again using the button, and also did once yesterday. So that adds 2 more successful turn-ons since my last post on the 26th.
Floydage likes this.

What, me worry?
post #1841 of 1843 Old 06-29-2015, 12:45 PM
AVS Special Member

Gotcha and so I take it unplugging the set never came into play 'right before' using the button.
Was easier for me to inquire than to read back through all those posts.

post #1842 of 1843 Old 07-03-2015, 12:22 AM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 94 Post(s)
Hi guys and gals.

I has been a sad day for me. After performing like a champion for almost a decade, my xbr 960 seems to finally kick the bucket. Even though, I moved on to Panasonic ZT60 plasma as my primary display 2 years ago, I am still fond of my xbr 960 and have many great memories watching movies and tv shows and playing video games on the xbr 960.

Here is the description of the problem. The tv tries to power itself on immediately after I plug it into power without me needing to press power button on the remote or the tv itself. Sometimes, I hear the normal degaussing sound and the normal click sound on the power up. Other times, it is just the same click sound without the degaussing sound.

After the tv tries to power up, the front red light blinks 6 times, pauses, blinks 7 times, pauses again, blinks 7 times again, and continues the cylcle of pausing and blinking 7 times indefinitely. Except for the flashing light, the tv looks dead otherwise. After the tv is plugged in into power, if I press the power button on the remote, I hear the click sound again, but nothing else is happening.

To fix the tv, I tried unplugging it from power for as long as several hours and then pluging it back into power. It tried this process multiple times. I also tried plugging the tv into power strip and directly into a wall power outlet. I even tried different power outlets. Nothing has worked.

From my Google search, I found that 6 blinking red lights seem to indicate Power Supply issue, and 7 blinking red lights seem to indicate Horizontal Deflection issue. Both issues seem to require part(s) replacement and service by a qualified technician. From my online research, it is around $200 - $300 for part(s) + labor to fix each issue.

As much as I like this tv, I am not willing to pay that much or go through trouble of ordering parts myself, opening up the tv, and messing with dangerous voltages to fix it.

I am also confused why I am getting both 6 blinking red lights (initially) and 7 blinking red lights (thereafter). Perhaps, the issue is not Power Supply or/and Horizontal Deflection, but something else is broken.

Is there anything else that I can try to fix the tv, or do I just have to replace it at this point?

Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
post #1843 of 1843 Old 07-03-2015, 03:43 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by SwiftSweeper View Post
Hi guys and gals.

I has been a sad day for me....
Have you read any of the posts on this board? You don't say you have and you don't seem to have any knowledge that we all have had this "blinking standby light" problem. Which is what this board is about.

You can start with my post #1838 above, which refers to my problem and also refers to some of my subsequent posts. If you can ever get it to come on again -- which should be do-able as others here have succeeded in doing so, particularly for some considerable time after the problem first presents -- then you can try what I've been doing, which is to avoid the remote for turning the set on, and to just use the power button on the set itself to turn it on.

You can use the remote for turning it off, as I have been doing each and every time, but do not use the remote to turn the set on.

At this point, I have successfully turned the set on via the power button on the set itself 27 times without any failures. If you read each of my prior posts from the time the problem presented, you will see that I had no success turning it on with the remote (even trying several times) but then after I got it to finally turn back on, I then avoided the remote entirely for purposes of turning the set on. Thus I've used only the power button on the set ever since.

My set is not the same model as yours, but I'm curious as to whether your use of the button on the set would work as well as mine has so far. So if you can get it to turn on, avoid the remote (except for turning it off) and report back.

If you want to do the repair, refer to post #108 and read forward from there.

What, me worry?

Last edited by T-Max; 07-04-2015 at 11:19 AM.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays