SONY KV-32XBR100 Going Bad - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 27 Old 12-24-2007, 05:27 PM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
My favorite CRT ever, the SONY KV-32XBR100 was built in January, 1997. I have owned it since it was new. There is simply no better CRT TV imho.

My problem is that it has just developed a large "S" type pattern filling the screen, that slowly drifts from the bottom of the set to the top. The pattern is black and it kind of looks like interference of some type. It appears on any of the different video inputs including my X-Box S-Video connection. Nothing has been added or changed on the set since this first appeared a week ago. Everything else is still excellent including the color and crispness of the picture. The pattern "seems" to not be as pronounced after the set has been on for 10 minutes.

Whatever I am viewing is still very watchable but it degrades the viewing experience.

I have just tried to enter into the "Service Mode" as described in another thread here and I am able to. However, I have no idea what I am doing so I turned the set back off.

Anybody have any ideas or should I just accept that my set is finally going bad?

Thanks, Dave
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 27 Old 12-25-2007, 11:27 AM

I don't know what the deal is with your TV, but if you can't get it back to normal I would dump it and pick up a replacement off craigslist.

If you live in or near a sizable population your local craigslist will have a fine Sony CRT TV listed to match or better that XBR 100 sooner or later, and it will be going for cheap too.
post #3 of 27 Old 12-25-2007, 06:05 PM

I had the same problem with my xbr100. The problem is within the feature box.

On the back of the tube, there is a small panel held in place with one screw. Behind the panel, there is S-video, composite and audio connectors. Remove the multicable and patch a video source directly to the tube via the S-video. The large S pattern should not appear with the feature box out of the loop.

I originally narrowed it down to the power supply board. I replaced that board and the problem went away for a couple months. But, it recently re-appeared. So, there is another issue in the feature box that causes degradation of the power supply. Until I figure out the root cause, I don't want to sacrifice any more boards as they are getting hard to find. This problem will get much worse with time, eventually resulting in picture black-outs, so I recommend not powering-up the feature box any more.

If you have a reciever that switches video, you can live without the feature box. This is what I am doing for now. The picture will appear a bit "raw" since the various signal processing options are not available. The set adapts to this alternate configuration by only offering volume up/down on the tube's motion-activated controls.
post #4 of 27 Old 12-26-2007, 09:40 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 18 Post(s)
Liked: 33
I own this same TV along with the Shanghi Stand. About four years ago my 32xbr100 malfunctioned because the stand alone tuner failed. One shop told me to it could not be fixed. However, I after persistence, I found a facility who fixed it by replacing a bad transistor. You TV is probably has a bad transistor or something. Just try to find someone competent to fix it.
post #5 of 27 Old 12-26-2007, 12:00 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by dangerousdave View Post

My favorite CRT ever, the SONY KV-32XBR100 was built in January, 1997. I have owned it since it was new. There is simply no better CRT TV imho.

My problem is that it has just developed a large "S" type pattern

Anybody have any ideas or should I just accept that my set is finally going bad?

Thanks, Dave

Hi Dave. I just went from a 32XBR55 with the Sony stand to a 36XBR800 with Sony stand and I could not be more happy. It's a huge improvment. This 36XBR800 is like a super XBR compared to the old 94 set. Your tv is now 11 yrs old and not worth putting a penny into for repair.
There are many great XBRs for sale now days as the price for flat screens drop every month and people with $$ to burn buy new models every year.

Now it's after xmas and people are looking for new flat screens and it's a buyers market when it comes to used XBRs.

Go to you local Craig's List and go to
'for sale / wanted' and enter
'sony tv xbr' in the search for: box.

save that search screen to your fav bookmarks and check it every day.
if you find one of these for sale in ex condition you will be happy for sure.
try and find a owner who does not have kids, smokes or claims they had used the set very little. it's just a phone call away.

KD-36XS955 or 36XBR800. Bolth are 4:3 HD and flagship models.
post #6 of 27 Old 12-28-2007, 06:38 AM
Advanced Member

I also have the XBR100 and yes I think it is one of the nicest TVs that I have owned as far as standard broadcast. I even have a couple of spare tuners (the separate Box) for it. I had it repaired a couple years ago. I forgot what they replaced. Now I bought the KD-34XBR960 and the KD-36XS955 and have been using them. I got them both off CraigsList for very good prices. The XBR100 comes up on CraigsList every so often. Now my XBR100 is sitting in the garage. Im not really sure what to do with it. I really hate to part with it.
post #7 of 27 Old 12-28-2007, 04:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

I also have the XBR100 and yes I think it is one of the nicest TVs that I have owned as far as standard broadcast. I even have a couple of spare tuners (the separate Box) for it. I had it repaired a couple years ago. I forgot what they replaced. Now I bought the KD-34XBR960 and the KD-36XS955 and have been using them. I got them both off CraigsList for very good prices. The XBR100 comes up on CraigsList every so often. Now my XBR100 is sitting in the garage. Im not really sure what to do with it. I really hate to part with it.

Wow! two nice finds off craigslist. Hubba hubba!
post #8 of 27 Old 12-28-2007, 04:58 PM
Advanced Member

Yes I need to stay off CraigsList. Now I see some Sony XBR40 HD screens advertised.......so tempting but I just cant justify it when I still have the XBR100 sitting in the garage.
post #9 of 27 Old 12-28-2007, 06:54 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by jet757f View Post

Yes I need to stay off CraigsList. Now I see some Sony XBR40 HD screens advertised.......so tempting but I just cant justify it when I still have the XBR100 sitting in the garage.

yea I live in El Cerrito and that 40XBR in San Leandro looks SWEET!
but I don't have the $$ anyway. if you ever decide to sell your KD-36XS955
look me up first. dwillsxbr @ gmail.com
post #10 of 27 Old 12-29-2007, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter

Thanks everybody for your informative responses. I have found a few KV-36XBR800 TV's for sale so will look at that. I also may try the fix suggested by hitanykey above. However, I am of course concerned about removing and going inside the back of the TV.
Dave
post #11 of 27 Old 12-29-2007, 08:58 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by hitanykey View Post

I had the same problem with my xbr100. The problem is within the feature box.

On the back of the tube, there is a small panel held in place with one screw. Behind the panel, there is S-video, composite and audio connectors. Remove the multicable and patch a video source directly to the tube via the S-video. The large S pattern should not appear with the feature box out of the loop.

Well, Thanks very much hitanykey. I finally was able to get my set pulled away from the wall and I found the small panel on the back of the set that was hiding a S-Video, audio & video connector. When you said "On the back of the tube", I originally thought you said that I had to take the entire back shell of the TV off so I was of course hesitant to do that. I also did not understand that the "feature box" was the external box that sits alongside the TV.

My picture is now much better with no "S" type pattern on my screen. While I have very few picture adjustments, at least my set will have another life and I don't have to decide on what to replace it with.

Dave
post #12 of 27 Old 03-19-2008, 05:25 AM

My 32XBR100 died last week (it started turning itself on and off and back on again all the time, give it a little jiggle and it would stop for a while, then repeat the process all over again). Now it just doesn't turn on at all, makes a click sound like it's trying to fire up, but I never get any picture or sound.

So...I've moved on and replaced the tv already, now I've got a 200+ lb paperweight. I'm no tv repairman, so it's going to the curb this weekend. I'll hold onto the tuner box if anybody here wants it just pm me and it's yours free of charge, what a great tv it was while it lasted...
post #13 of 27 Old 04-12-2008, 10:40 AM

Does anyone else have a 32XBR100 tuner box available? I would appreciate a PM if you do. Thanks
post #14 of 27 Old 08-13-2008, 07:50 PM

I've had it with the flakiness of my 10 year old 32XBR100. I've loved this set as much as anyone, why else would I hold onto such old technology for so long? (OK, I've got two HDTV's already in other rooms, and a third arriving tomorrow to replace the 32XBR100.) I even had the color calibrated for $250, which it needed badly. My 34XBR960 had virtually perfect color out-of-the-box. In fact, nearly everything about my XBR960 has always been perfect, in marked contrast to the XBR100, which needed serious adjustment of color and geometry. But the XBR100 had one big advantage...much bigger screen for watching 4:3 TV. I would have got the 40XBR during the limited time it was available, but its 300 pounds would crush my record cabinet which has already been creaking under the weight of the 32.

Anyway, if you contact me before Monday August 18 2008, I'll save the Feature Box (aka tuner), remote, or anything else you want. But I've simply got to get rid of the CRT soon, it's too big and heavy to keep, and I've got a volunteer lined up to help put it in my car (destination: Corona Visions Recycling) on Friday. Then it sits in my car and goes to recycling on Monday. Corona Visions is a Sony Partner so I get it recycled for free. Otherwise it would cost a lot for something this heavy.

Charles Peterson
210-662-0572

I got mine as a refurb from Sony Outlet. It's had wierd problems very intermittantly from the first year. Always too intermittant to get fixed. The picture would shrink horizontally in various ways, and then recover after a few minutes, sometimes an hour. That first happened in about month 5, then month 10, etc. Now it does it every week or so, sometimes with very big shrinkage and enough color shift so as to be unwatchable for awhile.

But the last straw has been a new kind of failure which started this year. For 24 hours or so it decides not to come on at all. The standby light simply keeps blinking. It did that first in May, and now in August. Right when you need it of course. After 24 hours of rest, it decides to work again. This last time it happened, I feared the worst, that it was never coming back, so I ordered another TV. Just after I placed the order, it started working again. I got the message: time to go.

For all I know it's some cheap capacitor in one of the many DC power supplies it has. It could simply be a cheap part, but who knows? I imagine it would cost a fortune to have someone come out to fix it. Maybe I could fix it myself, I fixed my 1983 Mitsubishi. But I can't even get behind it, and it's too heavy to move myself. And lots of parts for this thing are no doubt pure unobtanium.

I suspect most of the problems are with the CRT and not the feature box. In fact, I was thinking of keeping the feature box as a remote switcher. But then I decided it would be sacrilege to separate. It might doom the CRT to an earlier demise. Someone might find a use for it at the recycling place, but without the feature box it only has a single hidden input in the back, and very limited controls.

But if someone else wants the feature box to save their XBR, that's another story.

I also have a spare remote which I was planning to sell on ebay. I also have the service manual I was planning to let the recyclers have.

Charles
post #15 of 27 Old 05-10-2010, 06:01 PM

Hi Guys,

I am looking for a Sony KV32XBR100 feature box if anybody has a new or slightly used one. Please reply to this post if you have one.

Thanks,
Michael
post #16 of 27 Old 08-27-2010, 08:20 PM

My XBR100 is finally dying. Today the screen raster had no vertical deflection and after plugging it in a few time I get either an upside down or reduced size picture. Finally time to get a hdtv. Not looking forward to that since the entertainment center won't fit a widescreen then the couch and furniture won't match so basically the whole room will need to be replaced!

So anyway if I plug a video source into the service inputs it exhibits the same symptoms so the feature box should be ok. Let me know if anyone is interested.
post #17 of 27 Old 09-04-2010, 11:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac61 View Post

My XBR100 is finally dying. Today the screen raster had no vertical deflection and after plugging it in a few time I get either an upside down or reduced size picture. Finally time to get a hdtv. Not looking forward to that since the entertainment center won't fit a widescreen then the couch and furniture won't match so basically the whole room will need to be replaced!

So anyway if I plug a video source into the service inputs it exhibits the same symptoms so the feature box should be ok. Let me know if anyone is interested.

Dang, I'm sorry to hear that. The XBR100 is an all time classic, and I'm still trying to get my hands on one.
Do you know if the feature box is only compatible with the XBR100, or will it work with other Sony trinitrons as well? How does it hook into the XBR100? If it will work with other sets, then I am interested.
post #18 of 27 Old 09-12-2010, 12:02 PM
Advanced Member

Yea my xbr100 finally died. We had it in my son's and it wouldnt turn on. I couldnt justify getting it repaired since I had already paid to have it repaired once before. Ended up giving it away on CraigsList.
post #19 of 27 Old 11-21-2010, 10:38 PM

My XBR100 recently developed the "S" type pattern. If anyone has a "feature box" let me know. I hate to throw the TV out as the monitor is working fine using the direct connect in the back. (But the TV isn't very useful without the box.)
post #20 of 27 Old 01-18-2011, 07:08 PM

PM sent. I have the box, connecting cable, 2 remotes, and the owners manual.
post #21 of 27 Old 01-25-2011, 04:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by duvallite View Post

PM sent. I have the box, connecting cable, 2 remotes, and the owners manual.

If the above poster isn't interested in what you have, I'm interested.
post #22 of 27 Old 03-29-2011, 11:02 AM

I have a 32XBR100 complete as well, it's in excellent working condition. Cosmetically it has some small issues with the plastic, which seems to have weakened with age. The front lower fascia has a crack, and the integrated handles have cracked inside when moving the unit.

If anyone is in the mid-Atlantic and wants the complete system, or located anywhere and wants just the "feature box", let me know.
post #23 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 11:23 AM

Liked: 14
I still have mine from 1996, people still ask if is HD.

Steve
post #24 of 27 Old 06-13-2011, 12:30 PM

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by EnjoyingMyRide View Post

I still have mine from 1996, people still ask if is HD.

I get that a lot with my 250.
post #25 of 27 Old 01-29-2012, 08:18 PM

I am ready to get rid of my 32xbr100. Still has the feature box problem, but the tube worked great the last time I had it powered on. Physically, it is in about as good condition as can be expected. I am in the Sacramento, CA area. If anyone wants it - it is free. It is all boxed-up ready to go.
post #26 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 08:33 PM

Do you by any chance still have a tuner / function box? My KV-32XBR100 needs one

Thanks!
post #27 of 27 Old 02-05-2012, 08:37 PM

My feature box is gone! Do you still have yours? Thanks

Quote:
Originally Posted by tac61 View Post

Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page