post #31 of 97 Old 06-10-2008, 11:32 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Quote:
Originally Posted by forkeye View Post

Someone mentioned the VGA port earlier-- here's directions on how to make your own component video->VGA cable:

http://myhometheater.homestead.com/vgacable.html

I'm going to try it out next weekend. By all accounts it should give my Aventos two separate 1080i inputs without buying a switchbox.

Component video switches are going for awful cheap on ebay though.

I love the set. I'm going to ride it until it konks out. I hope it lasts a long time.

Great info. Switches may be getting cheaper, but they add another potential point of failure and force you to use the same calibration settings for all inputs. It is nice to be able to have at least two settings in case you have different source needs.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #32 of 97 Old 06-11-2008, 06:41 AM
AVS Addicted Member

Mentioned: 1 Post(s)
Quoted: 213 Post(s)
Liked: 305
Take careful note of this statement, "This cable is used to connect a component video source ... to a projector, RPTV, LCD or Plasma that accepts componet video via an HD-15 port. In some models, you will have to set this input to "component" via the menu system, others will auto-sense the input."

Does the Aconda's (or Aventos) VGA input have a 'selectable' option between VGA and component (YPbPr)? If not... then this cable won't work properly. You will need to purchase a transcoder.

An example:
http://www.datapro.net/products/vdig...nt-to-vga.html
post #33 of 97 Old 06-16-2008, 10:49 PM

blast, the simple cable does not work. Just a bunch of green squiggles. Apparently the Aventos does need some kind of sync signal on the vga input
post #34 of 97 Old 06-17-2008, 12:17 PM
AVS Special Member

owned a loewe aconda 38" for several years and adored it -- there's no other picture quite like it. warm, lush, natural, vivid colors, flawless contrast, incredibly natural and pleasing imagery. still haven't seen anything like it since. then, one day, out of the blue, only weeks after the warranty was out, it went *zzzzzzt* on me and never worked again. loewe's american operation had already closed, and i couldn't find anyone anywhere who could service the thing. a new motherboard w/ voltage regulators would have cost $800 anyway. i went out and bought a floor model 34xbr960 for $700 bucks, and had it ISFed for another $265. it still doesn't have that "it" quality that the aconda always had, but it's decidedly more detailed, and has got to be the most precise HD picture i've ever seen.

"There's a... big machine in the sky... Some sort of... electric snake. It's headed right for us..."
"Shoot it."
"Not yet. I want to study its habits."
post #35 of 97 Old 06-17-2008, 04:42 PM

I just had my 38" Aconda fixed under warranty. It had it's board replaced, this was back in JAN of this year.

So far it works like a dream.
post #36 of 97 Old 07-22-2008, 07:48 AM

Aconda 30" owner here. Is the Aconda really 1080i? I have a Samsung 1080p DLP now, and the resolution is so much higher than the Loewe that it makes me wonder. I hooked up PS3 bluray to it and the resolution is definitely less (from what I can see) than a HD-DVD player on my Samsung.

I agree though, the Loewe was a great for it's time. There's an "it factor" to it, and I still miss the image quality. Wish Loewe was still in the States.
post #37 of 97 Old 07-22-2008, 10:27 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kidkoala View Post

Aconda 30" owner here. Is the Aconda really 1080i? I have a Samsung 1080p DLP now, and the resolution is so much higher than the Loewe that it makes me wonder. I hooked up PS3 bluray to it and the resolution is definitely less (from what I can see) than a HD-DVD player on my Samsung.

I agree though, the Loewe was a great for it's time. There's an "it factor" to it, and I still miss the image quality. Wish Loewe was still in the States.

Like all HD CRTs, the Aconda does not have full horizontal resolution. It's most likely around 900x1080. The highest resolution CRTs were the Sony SFPs with 1440x1080.

Sony XBR960n - nice to rods, mean to cones.
post #38 of 97 Old 08-28-2008, 10:56 AM

There is NO Sony CRT that is more detailed than a Loewe. I've owned and sold both. Any Loewe owner will agree. If you saw one with a dull picture, I'll bet the user put the connected DVD on progressive scan. You don't do that with Loewe's. You let the Loewe do the work.

I'm also the Loewe expert for Canada and I didn't go there because there were better sets! I run my PS3 at 1080i into the VGA input as well as HD satellite and people cannot believe the PQ.
post #39 of 97 Old 08-28-2008, 03:10 PM

I agree nothing can touch my 38" Loewe Aconda when it comes to blacks and just eye popping colors!

But the Loewes can't do 1080P.
post #40 of 97 Old 09-09-2008, 09:00 AM

Any chance anyone out there has the IR codes for their Loewe? I am trying to set up an automated system with one. Thanks for the help in advance.
post #41 of 97 Old 09-10-2008, 11:42 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
I believe that Loewe used the same IR codes as Goldstar, so you might try the LG codes.

Alan
post #42 of 97 Old 09-24-2008, 08:38 AM

I purchased an Aconda 38 about four years ago and love it. However, about six months ago I had to access something in the back of my entertainment center and had to remove the Monster component inputs on the Loewe. Those damn Monster cable connectors were so darn tight that it pulled the whole component jack out. Now my HD input is useless. I was able to find one person that might look at it for about $100 and can't guarantee a fix. Plus, this thing is way too heavy to bring anywhere. I've since been using S-Video for my HD channels and am not pleased with the downgrade. I discovered the VGA input and ordered a VGA-to-Component cable that can hookup with my Samsung DirecTV HD box. Sadly, I'm only getting the squiggly green lines that a previous poster mentioned. Others have stated they're using this VGA input for their PS3. What can I do to get this to work? Please help!! Thank you!!
post #43 of 97 Old 10-04-2008, 07:55 PM

This is a new question. I thought this may be a good thread to join because of all the Aconda lovers here. Am I too late?

Suddenly, right after I moved to a new apartment, my 30" Aconda has developed a problem.

In the middle of the screen is a big black square which obscures almost all of the video. I can see image only around the edges of this black block. The audio is fine.

My best guess is that I inadvertently changed a setting, but I can not figure out what that might be.

Any clues?

I have not had any problems at all with this television since I bought it many years ago, but now this.

Thank you.
post #44 of 97 Old 10-04-2008, 09:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting... Perhaps you turned teletext on?
post #45 of 97 Old 10-04-2008, 09:20 PM

Thanks for replying.

I don't see any setting for teletext or for closed captioning. Would that function be called something else?
post #46 of 97 Old 10-04-2008, 09:25 PM

I FOUND IT!

It was the closed caption function. Thank you for your help. Case closed.
post #47 of 97 Old 10-04-2008, 09:26 PM
AVS Special Member

Heh, glad I could help.
post #48 of 97 Old 10-16-2008, 05:16 AM

Would anyone know how to change the input without the loewe remote. My remote broke and somehow the input switched and now reads no signal. Is there a reset button or something I can do?
post #49 of 97 Old 10-16-2008, 07:24 AM

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 11
Try unplugging it for 15 seconds. It should reset.

Alan
post #50 of 97 Old 10-18-2008, 06:38 PM

I have the Loewes Anaconda TV and I think its one of the greatests TV's. Other than it being difficult to move since its extremely heavy, it is such a great set. We have had the TV for about 4 years now. All of a sudden the TV remote broke. I programmed my Comcast remote to the Loewes TV but I can only get the volume and channels change. I need to change the individual inputs. Does anyone know how I can get the inputs to change or be able to use the menu options?
post #51 of 97 Old 10-18-2008, 06:42 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Maria Geisler View Post

I have the Loewes Anaconda TV and I think its one of the greatests TV's. Other than it being difficult to move since its extremely heavy, it is such a great set. We have had the TV for about 4 years now. All of a sudden the TV remote broke. I programmed my Comcast remote to the Loewes TV but I can only get the volume and channels change. I need to change the individual inputs. Does anyone know how I can get the inputs to change or be able to use the menu options?

The best thing to do would be to get one of the Harmony remotes. Their database has codes for all of the buttons. You will also be able to access discrete on/off and inputs -- not more toggling through inputs.
post #52 of 97 Old 10-28-2008, 07:15 PM

As I have read, my Aconda has finally had the power failure issue many of you have spoken of. I hit the main power button on the front, the green light comes on and it makes a sound like it's powering up, and then it goes back to red. Is this a part you can order and fix yourself or am I just SOL? I really love the TV, and I'm not ready to part with a $4000 TV after 6 years. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. Any assitance is grealty appreciated.
post #53 of 97 Old 10-28-2008, 07:51 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bighickey View Post

As I have read, my Aconda has finally had the power failure issue many of you have spoken of. I hit the main power button on the front, the green light comes on and it makes a sound like it's powering up, and then it goes back to red. Is this a part you can order and fix yourself or am I just SOL? I really love the TV, and I'm not ready to part with a $4000 TV after 6 years. I'm in the Dallas/Fort Worth area of Texas. Any assitance is grealty appreciated.

Flyback transformer. Mine went out out after 4 years and cost $400 to get fixed by Magnolia. You might try a Magnolia in the area.
post #54 of 97 Old 11-02-2008, 10:33 PM

With technology advancing there must be better sets, flat panels, etc, out there. Any ideas. My Aconda is fuzzy on the far left and right sides for about 4 inches in from the side any way to fix.

California, USA
post #55 of 97 Old 11-11-2008, 01:24 PM

Check on E-bay, they often have the remote you need. I bought one a few years ago. I check from time to time, and they appear.
post #56 of 97 Old 11-30-2008, 03:41 AM

plz i need ur help guys i had my aconda about 4 years ago and now my tv turning to pink or magenta hole screen on and off only on the free to air not on any av like dvd video or sat so plz if someone had z same prob let me know.
post #57 of 97 Old 12-22-2008, 12:53 PM

Is this a dead thread? I have a Loewe Aconda 38" Wide screen am going to have to part with. This is truly one of the best tvs I've owned. Any one know what they are going for?
post #58 of 97 Old 12-22-2008, 01:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by TxDuke View Post

Is this a dead thread? I have a Loewe Aconda 38" Wide screen am going to have to part with. This is truly one of the best tvs I've owned. Any one know what they are going for?

Of course, Loewe stopped marketing these in the US, so Ebay is the primary
avenue in the US.
post #59 of 97 Old 01-06-2009, 03:07 AM

plz i need ur help guys i had my aconda about 4 years ago and now my tv turning to pink or magenta hole screen on and off only on the free to air not on any av like dvd video or sat so plz if someone had z same prob let me know.
post #60 of 97 Old 01-11-2009, 01:15 PM

Quick question regarding a Loewe Aconda purchased in 2001. Hub seems to recall that it claimed to be digital ready. True? So I don't need to get a converter box for next month?
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page