XBRs on Craigslist...It's a BUYERS market! - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 277 Old 04-24-2008, 10:20 AM

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Anyone have any idea what a fair price for the Sony KV27HS420 is? Looking for one to put in a bedroom.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 277 Old 04-24-2008, 10:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by storey13 View Post

Anyone have any idea what a fair price for the Sony KV27HS420 is? Looking for one to put in a bedroom.

For what it is worth I just paid $225 for a 30HS420. I contacted the seller right after it was posted on CL but didn't go to pick up for a week (did leave a $50 deposit via PayPal) and when I got there he indicated he had one or two nibbles over the week and one person who would have bought it if I hadn't (he left the listing up until we closed the deal with my pickup). I didn't get then sense that he was inundated with calls so while I think I got it cheap, I don't think it was "super" cheap. I am happy and it is the cheapest I have seen one within a relatively resonable drive (it was two hours away but I was already going to that area to visit family so it really only took me 15 mins or so out of my way).

Also I put up a 12 year old 27" Sony on Craigslist for $45.00 and it sold nearly instantaly I probably had a dozen inquires within 12 hours so I probably let it go a bit cheap (I can never quite figure out Craigslist).

So I guess this is a long winded way of saying I would think (for what it is worth) something in the $150-225 range. I think the 16:9 sets do command a slight premium over comperable 4:3 sets.
post #93 of 277 Old 04-24-2008, 10:41 AM
AVS Special Member

BTW my 30HS420 looks fantastic in hi-def. Not up to the standards of my CRT front projector but very, very nice for what was really a $180 upgrade (after selling my old TV). Also, and I think this would apply to the 27" model as well, there is none of that awful anti-reflective coating that seems to afflict a lot of the XBR and XS models. Since this TV set sits in my familyroom where my 4 year old hangs out and likes to touch stuff this is a big plus to me to have a glass screen that I can use good old windex on.
post #94 of 277 Old 04-24-2008, 10:50 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 22 Post(s)
Liked: 33
No anti-reflective coating on my 40XBR either, and god bless'em for not putting it on my screen. Just use an old T-Shirt and some Windex and you're good to go. No muss, no fuss.
post #95 of 277 Old 04-24-2008, 11:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by secstate View Post

For what it is worth I just paid $225 for a 30HS420. I contacted the seller right after it was posted on CL but didn't go to pick up for a week (did leave a $50 deposit via PayPal) and when I got there he indicated he had one or two nibbles over the week and one person who would have bought it if I hadn't (he left the listing up until we closed the deal with my pickup). I didn't get then sense that he was inundated with calls so while I think I got it cheap, I don't think it was "super" cheap. I am happy and it is the cheapest I have seen one within a relatively resonable drive (it was two hours away but I was already going to that area to visit family so it really only took me 15 mins or so out of my way).

Also I put up a 12 year old 27" Sony on Craigslist for $45.00 and it sold nearly instantaly I probably had a dozen inquires within 12 hours so I probably let it go a bit cheap (I can never quite figure out Craigslist).

So I guess this is a long winded way of saying I would think (for what it is worth) something in the $150-225 range. I think the 16:9 sets do command a slight premium over comperable 4:3 sets.

I totally forgot about the 30hs420. I'll have to keep an eye out for one of those too. I'd think I would actually rather have one of those then the 27hs420. I have a KV32FV300 sitting in my dining room right now. I want to move it upstairs to my bedroom, but have to wait for some help to come over to move it or put it on craigslist. I'd rather keep it for the time being (all I have in my room is a crappy 19" RCA with mono input).
post #96 of 277 Old 04-24-2008, 12:42 PM
AVS Special Member

The 30" sets are harder to find but they are out there. I saw a couple of 30hs420 sets within 90-150 miles of me in my 45 days of looking. Also though I think they are much rarer and I never saw them near me but there is a 30xbr910 and 30xs955 which are both the higher resolution tubes. I went with the 30" sets because they were 50+ pounds lighter than the 34" sets and it was about what my wife and I could handle ourselves.
post #97 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 07:58 AM

Quote:

The 30" sets are harder to find but they are out there. I saw a couple of 30hs420 sets within 90-150 miles of me in my 45 days of looking. Also though I think they are much rarer and I never saw them near me but there is a 30xbr910 and 30xs955 which are both the higher resolution tubes. I went with the 30" sets because they were 50+ pounds lighter than the 34" sets and it was about what my wife and I could handle ourselves.

I didn't even realize they made a 30xs955 or 30xbr910. I will probably have to wait for a while till one pops up on craigslist for a fair price.
post #98 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 10:14 AM
AVS Special Member

I would read up on the SFP tubes and see if the trade offs are worth it to you. The higher resolution comes at the cost of light output and I was never able to confirm or deny, but if the 30" tubes have the same anti-glare coating as the 34" tubes that is a big negative in my book since it seems to fail if you look at it cross eyed. A friend of mine has a 30xs955 and I only notice the resolution difference on a computer desktop on video at normal viewing distance I cannot see any real difference between the two tubes.
post #99 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 10:29 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I would read up on the SFP tubes and see if the trade offs are worth it to you. The higher resolution comes at the cost of light output and I was never able to confirm or deny, but if the 30" tubes have the same anti-glare coating as the 34" tubes that is a big negative in my book since it seems to fail if you look at it cross eyed. A friend of mine has a 30xs955 and I only notice the resolution difference on a computer desktop on video at normal viewing distance I cannot see any real difference between the two tubes.

How true. When the SPF Tubes first came out, there were many threads on this Forum relating to it. After scores of personal demos, etc. I can tell you that the concensus was that you could not tell a smidgeon of PQ difference between the non-SPF and SPF models when viewing from over 4'-5', and even then the difference was extremely small. As for the anti-reflective coatings put on these SPF Tubes, there has been a lot of problems w/it coming off, and totally screwing up the screen. You're better off without it.
post #100 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 12:54 PM

Well this one (http://nashville.craigslist.org/ele/656135590.html)just showed up on my local craigslist, I don't think I am going even try to offer what secstate paid for his. Usually here in Nashville when I offer a much lower amount they get very angry at me for the offer and wasting their time.
post #101 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 01:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Looks like a nice one and a year newer than mine. Mine was listed for $250 and I offered $225 so I only asked for 10% off. They do say "OBO" so they are open to offers. I agree asking for $225 outright now probably would get anywhere but you can offer a higher amount. Honestly I think even $300 wouldn't be too bad and $275 would be a bargain in my book. The pic is really nice. I have also found that if you wait before making an offer that they tend to be more open to negotiation. Of course you run the risk of losing the TV but I don't think it will sell quick for that price.
post #102 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 01:54 PM

Quote:

Looks like a nice one and a year newer than mine. Mine was listed for $250 and I offered $225 so I only asked for 10% off. They do say "OBO" so they are open to offers. I agree asking for $225 outright now probably would get anywhere but you can offer a higher amount. Honestly I think even $300 wouldn't be too bad and $275 would be a bargain in my book. The pic is really nice. I have also found that if you wait before making an offer that they tend to be more open to negotiation. Of course you run the risk of losing the TV but I don't think it will sell quick for that price.

Yeah I guess I will wait for a bit and see if they still have it on Tuesday or Wednesday.
post #103 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 05:37 PM

I bought a used 34HS420 back around December/Jan for $350.

It's totally immaculate, like new.

I needed to do quite a bit of service level adjustment to fix geometry, color, overscan and gamma but there's a ton of info out there so if you're reasonably tech-savvy and have the time it's no biggie.

Also it was 2 1/2 years old with no reported problems.

I have noticed that the power light always blinks 11 times before picture up but to be honest I've been powering up sometimes 5 times a day and have had no reliability issues so far.

I've got a feeling this one will run and run (which kind of kills my excuse for "needing" a 42" KURO).

I gotta say, after the tweaks, the picture is amazing and warm in a way that even the best digital sets just can't seem to match.
post #104 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 05:52 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:
Originally Posted by cajieboy View Post

How true. When the SPF Tubes first came out, there were many threads on this Forum relating to it. After scores of personal demos, etc. I can tell you that the concensus was that you could not tell a smidgeon of PQ difference between the non-SPF and SPF models when viewing from over 4'-5', and even then the difference was extremely small. As for the anti-reflective coatings put on these SPF Tubes, there has been a lot of problems w/it coming off, and totally screwing up the screen. You're better off without it.

As someone who has owed both xbr960 and xbr 970 for more than year(both sets are the same size-34 inch), I disagree. At 4-5 feet, it is not even contest SFP tube wins hands down. Personally, I can not even watch xbr 970 below 6 feet because the aperture grill becomes clearly visible at that distance. On xbr 960, I can sit as close as 3 feet if I wanted to and still have smooth picture. I think that ability of the user to sit closer is big advantage of SFP tube that is often overlooked because it helps to offset relatively small screen size that was always the Achilles heel of the tube technology.

SFP tube has also noticeably sharper picture. I watch xbr 960 from around 4-5 feet, and the difference in sharpness is obvious to my eyes. Even at 6-7 feet, hi-Scan tube still looks like it is out of focus in comparison SFP tube. Granted, the difference is more subtle at 6-7 feet, so I can see how some people, who spent time in store or at the neighbor comparing the two tubes, could not tell the difference at 6-7 feet even though, it is still pretty obvious to me. We all know that stores often have bad lighting conditions, the feed is usually not a good quality, and the TVs are usually not adjusted properly.

To be blunt, I find it hard to take statements like "I went to the store/neighbor and saw no difference" seriously not only because it contradicts with my personal everyday expirience with both sets, but also of the unknown factors such as lighting, each tv settings, and signal that these evaluations usually affected by, but everyone is entitled to their opinion.

Yes, Hi-Scan tube is brighter, but I never feel that my xbr 960 is not bright enough for me. I currently have my brightness and contrast set at around 50-60% on xbr 960 with no brightness issues. Granted I try to control the lighting environment in my room when I do some serious HD watching.

I agree, I wish that Sony did not use the coating for some of their screens, and I can definitely see how someone who has kids can be vary of buying the set with the coating, but to be fair, if you are careful when you wipe the screen and do not have kids who like to poke around, the coating is usually not an issue, and it does help to reduce the glare.
post #105 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 06:08 PM
AVS Special Member

I have spent a lot of time looking at my friends 30xs955 and his and my 30hs420s and I am sorry on OTA HDTV video I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two but my viewing distance is normally 6-8 feet away (for those sets). And incidentally he tweaked the service menus within in an inch of their life and his rooms were all light controlled. That is not to say I saw no difference on video sources just it was not very important to me. A closer distances I could see a difference on video and it was obvious on computer graphics. Honestly though I cannot sit closer than 6 feet because of the marcoblocking on fast actions scenes on all the local HDTV OTA channels. That drives me nuts and it is obvious to me on every set I have or have seen.

I agree that the brightness issue is not all that important to me but then my main display device is a Barco CRT front projector on a 108" screen so I am used to lower lumens and light control. Others might have a different opinion and so need to be aware of it.

There are enough complaints about the anti-reflective coating even from folks who say the followed Sony's care instructions that one needs to be cognizant of it and when you are buying used there is no guarantee that the previous owner took care of it the way he/she was supposed to. Personally even if I didn't have a 4 year old it would be a pretty big negative to me.

The bottom line is folks need to decide for themselves. There are compromises with nearly every technology and folks sometimes get hung up on specs. Honestly if I found a cheap 30xs955 locally I would be tempted to buy it.
post #106 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 07:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Swiftsweeper, no doubt you found yourself the right display. But I am going to have to disagree with your comparisons.
post #107 of 277 Old 04-25-2008, 07:17 PM

Liked: 35
Quote:

I have spent a lot of time looking at my friends 30xs955 and his and my 30hs420s and I am sorry on OTA HDTV video I don't see a whole lot of difference between the two but my viewing distance is normally 6-8 feet away (for those sets). And incidentally he tweaked the service menus within in an inch of their life and his rooms were all light controlled. That is not to say I saw no difference on video sources just it was not very important to me. A closer distances I could see a difference on video and it was obvious on computer graphics. Honestly though I cannot sit closer than 6 feet because of the marcoblocking on fast actions scenes on all the local HDTV OTA channels. That drives me nuts and it is obvious to me on every set I have or have seen.

I agree that the brightness issue is not all that important to me but then my main display device is a Barco CRT front projector on a 108" screen so I am used to lower lumens and light control. Others might have a different opinion and so need to be aware of it.

There are enough complaints about the anti-reflective coating even from folks who say the followed Sony's care instructions that one needs to be cognizant of it and when you are buying used there is no guarantee that the previous owner took care of it the way he/she was supposed to. Personally even if I didn't have a 4 year old it would be a pretty big negative to me.

The bottom line is folks need to decide for themselves. There are compromises with nearly every technology and folks sometimes get hung up on specs. Honestly if I found a cheap 30xs955 locally I would be tempted to buy it.

Well, I can not comment on SFP vs Hi-Scan on 30 inch sets with complete certainty, but my hunch tells me that since they are smaller sets, the SFP resolution advantage will be less pronounced than on larger 34 inch sets. Additionally, in my opinion, 6-8 feet is too far to really take advantage on SFP tube resolution on 30 inch set. I use my sets for video games and DVDs mostly(I am buying blu-ray player soon though). I watch the TV-channels occasionally, so macro blocking is less of an issue form me.

To my knowledge, most people, who have issues with anti-glare coating coming off, used some kind of chemicals instead of plain water to clean the screen or had kids or animals scratch the coating off the screen, but you are right that one needs to be aware of potential issues with coating when buying coated sets on used marked.

The only disadvantage SFP tube has in comparison to Hi-Scan is brightness, and from my experience, the brightness issue with SFP tubes is overblown and , it can easily be ofset by controlling the lighting environment if the need arises. The PQ due to difference in resolution between Hi-Scan and SFP can not, on the other hand, be offset at all, and it is pretty obvious at 4-6 feet distance on 34 inch sets.
post #108 of 277 Old 04-26-2008, 09:07 AM

I have a KV-36XBR800 Hi Scan 4:3 TV and a KV-34XBR910 SFP tube 16:9 TV. Both are in my home right now, each in a separate bedroom.

Neither are hooked up to cable or receive any broadcast input and are use as gaming console displays and watching DVDs. Xbox, PS2, PS3, and 360 are the consoles we have.

There is no question that the 910 displays sharper than the 800. The games on the 910 show more clearly defined detail than the 800. The difference is not huge but it is not insignificant either. Look at the specs; High scan displays at 853x1080i the SFP displays at 1400X1080i . That pretty much tells the story right there.

If I were shopping for a used Sony HDTV I would hold out for a SFP. The difference in resolution is worth the wait imo.
post #109 of 277 Old 05-16-2008, 12:43 PM

post #110 of 277 Old 05-16-2008, 09:55 PM

Quote:

Geeze too funny! I was laughing myself to tears reading his sales pitch. $400 for a $25 TV, too funny.
post #111 of 277 Old 05-17-2008, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lucky Ducky View Post

I was laughing myself to tears reading his sales pitch. $400 for a $25 TV, too funny.

Paging viziofan. Viziofan to the courtesy telephone please. Your curved trinitron is ready.
post #112 of 277 Old 05-17-2008, 11:13 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 9 Post(s)
Liked: 17
Quote:
Originally Posted by John3333 View Post

Why not just build a stand? It's simple, and you can make it strong enough to hold anything.
Make a frame a bit bigger than your TVset out of 2x4s and cover it with any kind of nice-looking wood, and install casters (at least 3 inches diameter) on the bottom and it'll not only hold hundreds of pounds easily, but you can roll it wherever you want in the house.
I made one for my 36-inch HD Toshiba (installed 5-inch casters, and a wooden 'skirt' to hide them from sight) and it's the most practical TV stand I've ever had. Biggest expense will be the casters, and your total outlay should be about $30-$40.

That is what Earl Hickey would do!
post #113 of 277 Old 05-19-2008, 02:32 PM

I'm looking for a nice KD-34XBR960 hopefully somewhere near the Richmond, VA area. A scan of Craigslist shows a bunch of them, but nowhere near me!
thanks
post #114 of 277 Old 05-19-2008, 02:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM23J8G View Post

I'm looking for a nice KD-34XBR960 hopefully somewhere near the Richmond, VA area. A scan of Craigslist shows a bunch of them, but nowhere near me!
thanks

My Dad lives in the Nashville area, and his 27" Tube died last week, so anyone in this area selling a large Sony HDTV Tube can PM me. Thanks.
post #115 of 277 Old 05-19-2008, 05:47 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by RM23J8G View Post

thanks

I live in central VA as well and I have not seen one 960 come up for sale in Richmond in the 3 or so months I have been monitoring the market. I am not really actively looking anymore (I picked up a 30HS420) but my automatic pull from craigslist is still operational and so I keep an eye on it. You really need to look at DC if you really want one. I have seen at least 2 there for $400 and a couple of more for a bit higher. I think I have seen 5-6 there in the last three months in the DC/Balt area. The reasonably priced ones move so you aren't going to find one if you are looking at CL once a week. There was one in Norfolk a while back but was crazy priced at a $1000. You might also want to consider a 34xbr910 and 34xs955 as they are both SFP tubes as well. Not that I have seen any of those in central VA either.

edit: Looks like there is a 970 for sale in Richmond on CL right now, a fresh listing today. No SFP tube of course.
post #116 of 277 Old 06-03-2008, 12:13 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Does the Sony KD-34XBR970 have the anti-glare coating?

Thx,
hyghwayman

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #117 of 277 Old 06-03-2008, 01:03 PM
Advanced Member

Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 21
Here is another good one from CL

http://dayton.craigslist.org/ele/672768062.html

Just my 2¢ - take it or leave it for others

Halo ® 3 Beta Tester, Reach ® Beta Tester, COD ® 4 Beta Tester
XboxLive GT - hyghwayman
post #118 of 277 Old 06-04-2008, 07:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

Thx,
hyghwayman

I don't know about the coating but it has the Hi Scan tube and not the Super Fine Pitch, I know that.
post #119 of 277 Old 06-04-2008, 09:26 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hyghwayman View Post

Thx,
hyghwayman

Yes.
post #120 of 277 Old 06-07-2008, 10:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I'm actually selling my Sony 34HS420 with stand ..i havn't put it on Craigslist yet but anybody interested in the Sony in my area let me know.

It's in great shape, bought it in 2004, it's the U.S.A model sony built in the Pennsylvania plant, the better built sony's compared to the mexico build ones. runs flawless!
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page