kd-34xbr960 settings - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 07:41 AM - Thread Starter

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
What are your settings for the KD-34XBR960 TV? I just finished an Avia calibration and wondered how others' settings compare.

I've read I'm supposed to use Warm for NTSC. But neutral always appeals to my eyes. However, skin tone does appear more accurate with Warm. But I dislike the background red tint "in the air."

For a darkened room, would most people's setting be similar (assuming the TV is calibrated via Avia or professionally). Or is each set unique?
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 11:44 AM

Every set is different because every picture tube is different.
Calibration requires a learning experience of what the calibration is designed to accomplish with the picture. You can read of "unrealistic" (and the contrary) picture reproduction, and what calibration seeks to overcome.
post #3 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 11:47 AM

You can also use it as a work light in torch mode.
post #4 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 12:59 PM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by STEVE050 View Post

Every set is different because every picture tube is different.
Calibration requires a learning experience of what the calibration is designed to accomplish with the picture. You can read of "unrealistic" (and the contrary) picture reproduction, and what calibration seeks to overcome.

I'm not sure I understand what your saying. Can you refer me to where I can read of unrealistic picture reproduction?
post #5 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 01:23 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by nmaynan View Post

What are your settings for the KD-34XBR960 TV? I just finished an Avia calibration and wondered how others' settings compare.

I've read I'm supposed to use Warm for NTSC. But neutral always appeals to my eyes. However, skin tone does appear more accurate with Warm. But I dislike the background red tint "in the air."

For a darkened room, would most people's setting be similar (assuming the TV is calibrated via Avia or professionally). Or is each set unique?

I agree with STEVE050 that every set is different.

Did your Avia calibration involve the service menu or just the user's menu? Which viewing mode are you using, Pro, Standard, etc.?

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #6 of 9 Old 01-13-2008, 02:34 PM

Quote:

I'm not sure I understand what your saying. Can you refer me to where I can read of unrealistic picture reproduction?

You could search this CRT forum(button upper left) or the SON 960 owners' thread to find out more. For terms like black level, contrast, pic mode, even 'warm', hue, calibration.
In LCDs you'll read terms like 'crush' (multiple contrast/brightness levels revealed as the same level/no differentiation.)

You may not be used to watching a calibrated pic for what it brings. Like most, we're used to 'torch'(vivid) mode.

You can also refer to your Sony manual for a little guidance on pic adjustments, and what they were intended for.
You don't have to like the calibrated settings, but it's nice to know what they are.
post #7 of 9 Old 01-14-2008, 06:12 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

I agree with STEVE050 that every set is different.

Did your Avia calibration involve the service menu or just the user's menu? Which viewing mode are you using, Pro, Standard, etc.?

I don't know the difference between user menu and service menu. How do I get to the service menu? Can I only do harm in the service menu? I likely only calibrated the user menu.

I have the mode in PRO.

Far as I know, I've never watched a calibrated TV. But I also avoid Torch mode.
post #8 of 9 Old 01-14-2008, 09:56 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

....I've read I'm supposed to use Warm for NTSC. But neutral always appeals to my eyes. However, skin tone does appear more accurate with Warm. But I dislike the background red tint "in the air."...

Quote:

I don't know the difference between user menu and service menu. How do I get to the service menu? Can I only do harm in the service menu? I likely only calibrated the user menu.

I have the mode in PRO.

You evidently only used the user's menu for your Avia calibration and you likely got it as close as the basic controls, (color and hue, brightness(black level) and picture(white level), allow. IMHO, calibration should be done in Pro mode, neutral.

A color decoder calibration using the service menu usually gets it very close; closer than the user menu alone. There are more parameters that can be adjusted. You can do a lot of good or harm in the service menu.

Those who would give up essential liberty to purchase a little temporary safety, deserve neither liberty nor safety. - Benjamin Franklin
post #9 of 9 Old 01-14-2008, 10:07 AM - Thread Starter

Quote:
Originally Posted by raouliii View Post

You evidently only used the user's menu for your Avia calibration and you likely got it as close as the basic controls, (color and hue, brightness(black level) and picture(white level), allow. IMHO, calibration should be done in Pro mode, neutral.

A color decoder calibration using the service menu usually gets it very close; closer than the user menu alone. There are more parameters that can be adjusted. You can do a lot of good or harm in the service menu.

I did my calibration in Neutral. I actually use Neutral (i can't stand the red tint in the air from warm).

Is this color decoder calibration something I can do? How do I get to the service menu. The only thing that needs calibration in the service menu is the green. I need to take the green down a little (e.g., the "Color" perfect setting via Avia is 33. But in Neutral Color Temp there is a slight green push. So I had to take the Color up to 36 and the hue to R1 to get rid of this. Otherwise, I've got everything real good. I figure a service menu tweak of green would let me put the "Color" back to 33.
Reply Direct View (single tube) CRT Displays

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page