VW40 versus 1080UB Shoot Out? - Page 4 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #91 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 01:14 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 65
Well - I decided to go with the VW40. It appeared to have a higher vertical shift option which was better for my room. I'll be setting up a light controlled theater and there will be lots of dust during construction. All reviews I've seen on the VW40 have been great. I would have love to have gone with the 1080UB but just didn't want to have to deal with any convergence issues (if mine was affected). One other factor was the fan noise of the 1080UB reported and certainly the visual phsyical slickness of the VW40 didn't hurt. It's been a while since my last Sony projector, but given that I won't be able to compare it to an Epson 1080UB in the same room, I'm sure I'll love the VW40.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #92 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 01:37 PM

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
The vertical shift on the Sony was actually an issue for me. I had it on a rear shelf facing the very top of my screen, and it could only shift down half way down. It shifts up very far though. I just didn't want to have the projector mounted upside down. I sent it back for the 1080UB, and am thinking of getting a hush box for it.
post #93 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 01:51 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by CaspianM View Post

I wasn't talking about shadow detail!

OK, what do you mean by shading?
post #94 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by keithj202 View Post

The vertical shift on the Sony was actually an issue for me. I had it on a rear shelf facing the very top of my screen, and it could only shift down half way down. It shifts up very far though. I just didn't want to have the projector mounted upside down. I sent it back for the 1080UB, and am thinking of getting a hush box for it.

That is pretty strange. I mounted mine on a 2' extension from a 10' ceiling, 14' back on a 126" screen and my vertical is pretty extreme. I can go past the halfway point up or down. Granted mine is upside down, but before I got it mounted I had it mounted right side up about mid screen and could move the vertical up and down past the midway point.

I was glad when I mounted, that I mounted dead center with the screen horizontally, since Horizontal shift is a pain since you have to open the front around the lens and use a screwdriver...
post #95 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mcascio View Post

Well - I decided to go with the VW40. It appeared to have a higher vertical shift option which was better for my room. I'll be setting up a light controlled theater and there will be lots of dust during construction. All reviews I've seen on the VW40 have been great. I would have love to have gone with the 1080UB but just didn't want to have to deal with any convergence issues (if mine was affected). One other factor was the fan noise of the 1080UB reported and certainly the visual phsyical slickness of the VW40 didn't hurt. It's been a while since my last Sony projector, but given that I won't be able to compare it to an Epson 1080UB in the same room, I'm sure I'll love the VW40.

I agree... People see the slick looking Sony even when it is off and go WOW!!!, same with me on the convergence and dust bunny scare.
post #96 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 02:01 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Keith,

That's good to know during my testing. I can mount it upside down in hush box or on a pole no problem in my setup.
post #97 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 02:56 PM

mcascio -
I don't know if you've ordered the VW40 yet, but you're more than welcome to drop by my place and see the VW40 in action. I live in Milwaukee so it's not that far of a drive for you.
post #98 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 03:02 PM
AVS Special Member

jspielmann,

Thanks for the invite and opportunity to check it out. I already ordered it so call me committed. It'll probably be here Monday. Was gonna pick up some cheap screen material for testing. Hoping I can get a good picture with a 118" diagnol.
post #99 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 03:18 PM

mcascio...where did you get your hushbox? Thanks.

Keith
post #100 of 108 Old 03-13-2008, 06:15 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 23
Send a message via Yahoo to JDLIVE
Quote:
Originally Posted by mlbrand View Post

I assume it's the bright corners, I can see them very slightly on certain scenes like a complete fade to black, but it's not bothersome.
post #101 of 108 Old 03-14-2008, 12:58 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

mcascio...where did you get your hushbox? Thanks.

Keith

I'm still in the early phases. As of now, everything conceptually is within my 3D software (Lightwave 3D) - which helped tremendously in building my entire home and even picking out wall colors. So a very premature stage. So no hush box exits today aside from within my mind.

I like to start with the basics. I have home theater seating (7 Berklines - 4 in back row and 3 in front with curved seating), soon the projector and a mock up screen for the space (of which I have yet to determine how large of screen I can go - hopefully 118" at least). I have a DBox motion simulator which is where my concerns are the highest. The last thing I want is to have the first row too close to the screen and moving at 2 G's to to the movie, so I need to determine which row the DBOX will reside in. At this point, I'm trying to determine the best seat in the house. Before I built the house, I preplanned the basement where it drops down to 11' from 9'. So I'll have stadium seating. Which is actually forcing me to figure out which seat is the best in the house given distance to the screen and the horizontal/vertical positioning. I'm hoping with the projector in hand I can determine these factors before construction/framing of the room even begins.

For those of you whom haven't experienced watching a movie with the DBOX, it's like nothing you've ever experienced.
post #102 of 108 Old 03-14-2008, 01:39 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:

For those of you whom haven't experienced watching a movie with the DBOX, it's like nothing you've ever experienced.

DBOX is cool! I checked a system out a few years ago at a high end AV store and was very impressed. Are they affordable for the slightly above average Joe yet?
post #103 of 108 Old 03-14-2008, 08:32 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

DBOX is cool! I checked a system out a few years ago at a high end AV store and was very impressed. Are they affordable for the slightly above average Joe yet?

I would have to say no unfortunately. I've heard talk of a less expensive/more affordable version on the horizon though.
post #104 of 108 Old 03-14-2008, 07:50 PM
Advanced Member

How about throwing the Benq W5000 into the mix - it appears to be $500 less (street price) than either the 1080UB or W40 with close performance, that would appear to make it an excellent contender at the subject performance level.
post #105 of 108 Old 03-14-2008, 08:09 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter View Post

Oh well, I have "slipped it again". I will publish the award winners, and some of the content, but looks like next Tuesday night before everything is published. I'm going to need a vacation when this is done. -a

Your diligence is appreciated and eagerly ancticipated...20 projectors...wow! A few days slippage is justified!
post #106 of 108 Old 03-14-2008, 08:14 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

One other factor was the fan noise of the 1080UB reported and certainly the visual phsyical slickness of the VW40 didn't hurt.

I'll just go ahead and state: I'm making a subjective post, skip ahead if that offends!

I've heard this statment before about the VW40 being "slick" or "elegant". Personally, I think the Epson is much more sculpted and artistic looking. To me the VW40 looks like a tank. I guess I don't find much inspiration in the U-shape. That said, the appearance doesn't amount to a hill of beans to me if one has more of the performance or features that I prefer (i.e., I wouldn't rule out the VW40 because of its shape).
post #107 of 108 Old 03-14-2008, 08:16 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Caspian, correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was referring to the blue tint in the corners.
post #108 of 108 Old 03-14-2008, 09:16 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 14
Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post

Caspian, correct me if I am wrong, but I think he was referring to the blue tint in the corners.

Shading is un-unifrmity in black. It is like hot spotting in bright (white) but it occurs in low APL's.
Sony however provides shading fix via its service menu. it is not easy to do it right but it is doable to a good extent.

For those who has been around this hobby, this is not a good things and seems all LCos design suffer from this more than DLP. Even LCD's have this issue. And I am surprised that the photo's from Epson black screen show no shading issue. But then again screen shots can be deceiving. Funny is it is a hit & miss thing even within same model so mainly it is quality issue that should have been taken care of in the factory which was neglected.

Having said all that, I much prefer lcoc over lcd and Sony over Epson for some good reasons.

It is all about quality...that is the picture

JVC & NEC 8" CRT with 106" wide Stewart screen. All NHT speakers driven by Pioneer Elite AVR and bluray

Custom dedicated 8 seat theater

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page