VW40 versus 1080UB Shoot Out? - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 108 Old 03-02-2008, 11:52 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
So, has anyone been able to do a shoot-out with these two units? I'd love to hear some real world results with measurements. My dilemma, as with many others I imagine, is that many of the popular review sites and reviewers are rating these projectors differently. Some say that the VW40 is superior in terms of black level and shadow detail to the 1080UB, others state just the opposite and dramatically so. I have even heard mention that the VW40 measures a significantly better native contrast ratio, which again, would agree with some reviews, but not others. Now, I'm not saying any one reviewer is right or wrong, nor am I discounting their individual results, what I'm actually wondering is if the variability between reviews is a factor of the manufacturers QC, if there is an issue with the settings being used, or if settings are being tweaked to achieve max results, even though those settings may be entirely unwatchable.

Can anyone out there do a real world shoot-out between these two in best calibrated modes for movie viewing and take some measurements along with the usual comments on color accuracy, gray scale, and sharpness, although the latter three seem to be consistently well compared on both units.

Thanks!
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 108 Old 03-02-2008, 10:54 PM

I'd love to see or read a side by side comparison of these two projectors. Although, I have never been too crazy about lcd pj's.
post #3 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 06:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Uther View Post

So, has anyone been able to do a shoot-out with these two units? I'd love to hear some real world results with measurements. My dilemma, as with many others I imagine, is that many of the popular review sites and reviewers are rating these projectors differently. Some say that the VW40 is superior in terms of black level and shadow detail to the 1080UB, others state just the opposite and dramatically so. I have even heard mention that the VW40 measures a significantly better native contrast ratio, which again, would agree with some reviews, but not others. Now, I'm not saying any one reviewer is right or wrong, nor am I discounting their individual results, what I'm actually wondering is if the variability between reviews is a factor of the manufacturers QC, if there is an issue with the settings being used, or if settings are being tweaked to achieve max results, even though those settings may be entirely unwatchable.

Can anyone out there do a real world shoot-out between these two in best calibrated modes for movie viewing and take some measurements along with the usual comments on color accuracy, gray scale, and sharpness, although the latter three seem to be consistently well compared on both units.

Thanks!

I would say that anytime there is such a mixed opinion about something it means it is pretty close, to worry about so much as other issues. Once calibrated, they are both about the same lumen output. With the Sony you don't have to worry about all the issues with LCD's.
post #4 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 08:18 AM
AVS Special Member

projector review has a comparison on this page

http://www.projectorreviews.com/sony...0/proscons.php
post #5 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 08:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

He suggests in the review that the Sony was possibly a pre-production unit, and that he will update after he gets a second unit, so I would take this review for any faults with the Sony with a grain of salt.
post #6 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 10:01 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by gwlaw99 View Post

I know, hence the entire purpose of my post. This is one of several reviews in which the two are compared. In this case, the review favors the 1080UB, in others (e.g., Projector Central, AVS Forum), the Sony comes up tops.
post #7 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 10:06 AM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolfgheist View Post

Once calibrated, they are both about the same lumen output.

Precisely, so why the variability in the reviews? That's why I am asking for measurements between the two. If all reviews were done in best calibrated mode, there should not be the variability we are seeing, thus, is it the calibration or is it variability between the units?
post #8 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 02:16 PM

Quote:

Precisely, so why the variability in the reviews? That's why I am asking for measurements between the two. If all reviews were done in best calibrated mode, there should not be the variability we are seeing, thus, is it the calibration or is it variability between the units?

Any time you have multiple people looking at the same thing, you have subjective opinions. Guy A likes the Projector X better than Y for black levels. Guy B likes the Projector Y better than Projector X for black levels.

To me this means they are probably about the same, or so close they might as well be. I called Jason and talked to him in length about these projectors, back before he even knew he was going to stop selling the Epson's, and he told me to get the Sony, that it was superior.
post #9 of 108 Old 03-03-2008, 06:33 PM - Thread Starter
AVS Special Member

Quote:

Any time you have multiple people looking at the same thing, you have subjective opinions. Guy A likes the Projector X better than Y for black levels. Guy B likes the Projector Y better than Projector X for black levels.

To me this means they are probably about the same, or so close they might as well be. I called Jason and talked to him in length about these projectors, back before he even knew he was going to stop selling the Epson's, and he told me to get the Sony, that it was superior.

Wolf, I understand about subjectivity and I think you are missing my point entirely. The whole point of my post is to take the subjectivity OUT of the equation by having shoot-out with actual calibration and measurements. I understand you bought the VW40, so you have a natural bias, which is fine. I also understand Jason's preference, which is also fine; as I mentioned in my OP I am not discounting any one reviewer's opinion.
post #10 of 108 Old 03-04-2008, 07:17 AM

Quote:

Wolf, I understand about subjectivity and I think you are missing my point entirely. The whole point of my post is to take the subjectivity OUT of the equation by having shoot-out with actual calibration and measurements. I understand you bought the VW40, so you have a natural bias, which is fine. I also understand Jason's preference, which is also fine; as I mentioned in my OP I am not discounting any one reviewer's opinion.

I agree that it would have been nice if everyone that reviewed them, did it in the same room, same setup, used electronic equipment to monitor all outputs etc instead of their own eyes and opinions. I think I would have probably been happy with either one, but I am glad I don't have to worry about rabid dust bunnies, or convergence issues.
post #11 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 03:30 PM
Advanced Member

Liked: 17
Quote:

I agree that it would have been nice if everyone that reviewed them, did it in the same room, same setup, used electronic equipment to monitor all outputs etc instead of their own eyes and opinions. I think I would have probably been happy with either one, but I am glad I don't have to worry about rabid dust bunnies, or convergence issues.

OK, just for fun, I think I'll weigh in.

Yes, my review Sony has a background blue problem, in the upper right and lower left corners, thus, another unit coming in.

I tend to agree, the VW40 and Epson UB are both rather impressive projectors. I think, subjectively, I can discount that to a large degree in posting my opinions, of course I could be surprised, it is possible that the next VW40 to arrive, will outperform handily both the older VW50 and the more expensive VW60, but I don't find that very likely. The VW60 sets a high mark, that the VW40 should not be able to match. If it did, the VW60 would be irrelevant, and not worth a penny more.

I believe that different room conditions may well yield different picks as to which reviewers and buyers would prefer. (light walls vs. dark, screen size, type, etc.)

However, all that considered, the reason I personally favor the Epson UB, over the VW40, is based on this:

1. I viewed both projectors side by side, in "best" mode. (lumen output is virtually identical. Note, I do only brightness contrast and grayscale adjustments. I do this in my testing room with fairly dark walls, projecting two 50" diagonal images (roughly) on my 106" Carada Brilliant White screen.

2. In my theater (still with lighter colored walls), my JVC RS1 sits shelf mounted fairly high. I compare the RS1 to the Epson, by watching 5-20 minute segments of the usual movies. I have about a 5 minute break between viewing one, and the other. I will usually finish by freezing the player (PS3). On a scene, and study it, then switch projectors. I look at that screen again closely, then go back to the beginning of the "clip" I want to watch, and view it all the way through.

I did the same thing comparing the VW40 to the RS1.

MY CONCLUSION:

Here's the rub: After going back between the RS1, and the VW40, I am consistent in feeling that the VW40, in many ways, is similar to the RS1, but a step down product. It just doesn't look as good. It' can't match the black levels (of course), etc., but overall, it's sort of going from the Lexus version to the Camry version. Very similar, but one is better than the other. (better leather, better toys, more horsepower...)

When I do the same between the Epson and the RS1, I get a completely different feeling. Sure, the RS1 still wins on blacks and in other areas, BUT - I feel the Epson is more different, rather than inferior. I'm not saying I would trade my RS1 for the Epson (I wouldn't), but if I had to give up my RS1, and pick a projector to use for the next 6 months, one under $3K, it would definitely be the Epson.

The strangest thing about reviewing the Epson, is that in most cases when reviewing a projector I put between 25 and 40 hours on the projector, the bulk of it watching content, rather than testing or close up analysis. If the projector lingers around here (manufacturer not in a hurry to get it back), I log some additional hours on them, but mostly they sit in my testing room waiting, in case another competing projector arrives so I can do a side by side comparison.

In the case of the Epson, though, I found myself watching it at least as much as my RS1. In fact, it's still here (now about 7 weeks), and I've logged well over 200 hours on it.

More to the point, Over the last two weeks or so, I have had the UB, the W5000 (benq) and the VW40 all sitting in my theater room (still light walls, though). On many evenings I have watched more than 30 minutes of each projector. Pausing to switch back and forth, watching much of the same content over, and over again. (I normally wouldn't do that for an extended period, but these are all very competitive projectors, each with their own advantages.)

It still comes back to the same thing. For me, if it's not the RS1, then my second choice of the 4 projectors is the Epson UB. When I watch the VW40, I simply am not as satisfied, as when watching the Epson, (or the RS1).

The BenQ, btw is more difficult. It has a sheer horsepower adavantage, with about 200 more lumens in best mode, sometimes it really looks great, other times, I find it more flawed than the other two. To me, the challenge, is which I prefer, the BenQ or the VW40, but will (despite the lower lumens compared to the BenQ), take the Epson just about every time, over either.

Hey, people, "It's my job" to do all this - comparing, etc. Fortunately, I've got a personal "mode" where I can shut all that off, and forget about projectors, and just watch movies TV and sports. It took years to hone that skill - mostly from my esoteric audio days, when for a while I gave up on listening to some of my favorite music, because the record's production qualities were much poorer than other records.

My best advice, I think, is still to tell everyone, to pick a projector, kick back and enjoy the content, and stop fussing about the finer points of the projectors' flaws and strengths.

I know it's a hobby for many of you, as it is for me, but wouldn't it just be nice to put on a movie and enjoy it? without listening specifically for iris noise, fan noise, motion blur, rainbow effect, 3:2 pulldown, background unevenness, black levels and shadow detail?

What good are the really stunning, redone "dark side of the moon" scenes from Close Encounters on blu-ray, if all you notice is how much loss of shadow detail there is, in the lower right side of Devils Monument?

So, even you hobbyists - figure out how to focus on the content - works for me. -art

-art

Reviewing projectors sure beats selling them...
---but then, watching The 5th Element
-----for the hundreth time sure is getting old.
ProjectorReviews.com
post #12 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 05:35 PM
Advanced Member

Sounds like without a regular reference point for comparison, anyone would be happy with either.

db
post #13 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 07:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
Art,

Since this is your job, why not take it a bit further and do measurements? Whilst the screen shots you show are nice, they don't really tell us anything.

I realise different rooms and measurement systems do produce different results, but they allow a baseline to be established. Take the RS1 and the VW60. The only places that have done proper measurements on them have been WSR and Ultimate AV. Their absolute measurements have not matched, but the relative differences between the two are consistent.

I personally would rather see one proper on/off measurement, for example, than half a dozen side by side screenshots.
post #14 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 08:31 PM

The one thing that I have to think about is that we dont get to send the unit back after a few hours and be done with it.
One such issue is dust bunnies. I am SO ready to pull the trigger on the Epson except that I can not clean dust out or I have to swap it down the line over and over every time I get dust, where does that leave the user when the warranty runs out? (Rather nice warranty I might add)

I think LCD dust issues should weigh in the reviews because as good as it looks on the first day may not be the way it looks after 300 hours during a dark movie. That has me looking at the Sony big time.

But, I have to say, had I been able to self clean the Epson from dust or have an LCD that does not have dust build up I would of had the Epson here weeks ago.

An expert at anything was once a beginner...
Founder of the "F-WAF" group.
" WAF?!? F*** WAF! I put in on this house too you know... " =)
post #15 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 09:11 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 66
Good point bayn.

I'm on the fence right now as well. I don't mind having to ship the Epson back since I'm not in a big rush on the theater construction. Is it possible for convergence to go bad over time as well?

It appears the Sony offers a bigger vertical shift as well.

Has anyone pushed either of these projectors to the maximum vertical shift? Is there any noticable difference in picture quality?
post #16 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 09:23 PM

I bought the 1080UB not too long ago (2 weeks). I've had it up and running for about half of that time. I just watched the first movie on it, all the way through. I don't know if the VW40 is better, or the VW60, or the RS1, or the AE2000. But honestly, I don't care either. Each have their high points and drawbacks. The picture on my 1080 UB is AMAZING, rivaling the best LCD monitors that I have ever seen.

I know there is a hobby associated with this. But as 'presenter' said, sometimes you should just sit back and enjoy. And, for my money, the 1080UB is pretty much the best thing out there in this price range.
post #17 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 10:31 PM

It sounds to me like someone is crying wolf before there is any sight of one. I don't recall anyone actually having dust problems on the new Epson projectors. Kind of like Hillary talking about that 3 am phone call. Fear of something that hasn't happened yet. Since this is a newer design Epson, may it be that it won't suffer from past models or formats. If a dust ball shows up and a can of air won't blow it away, call Epson. If it is within the warranty period, they will most likely take care of it. I have the Pro model, so I've got three years to not worry about a problem that hasn't happened.

Dennis
post #18 of 108 Old 03-09-2008, 10:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 16
There's a been a few posts here and overseas from people with dust blobs.
post #19 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 12:48 AM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post

Art,

Since this is your job, why not take it a bit further and do measurements? Whilst the screen shots you show are nice, they don't really tell us anything.

I realise different rooms and measurement systems do produce different results, but they allow a baseline to be established. Take the RS1 and the VW60. The only places that have done proper measurements on them have been WSR and Ultimate AV. Their absolute measurements have not matched, but the relative differences between the two are consistent.

I personally would rather see one proper on/off measurement, for example, than half a dozen side by side screenshots.

Hi,

You can probably add Cine4Home to the list of those doing lots of measurements, as well as most of the print magazines, and even projector central I think is now doing contrast measurements.

I prefer to focus on the subjective differences, such as, is this projector's extra brightness and slightly sharper image a better choice than that projector's slightly better black levels...

I'm not the source for exacting which projector is technically more excellent, but rather helping most people figure out which one is likely to work best for them considering performance trade-offs, practical aspects, I try to balance the technical with the subjective. You guys that want to explore the finer points of all the technical attributes, have plenty of other sources. have a blast.

Anyway, that's the gameplan. -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #20 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 12:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Steve, you are right. However, I believe that the majority of those problems are the result of the lack of routine maintenance. The operative word is "routine". I have owned LCD PJs for over 15 years, live in a dusty environment, and have never had a dust blob problem. The key is to clean the air filter every week (or every 100 hours, at worst).

This issue is just one of the trade-offs in making a decision as to which PJ to buy. A PJ with a sealed light engine is less prone to problems due to a lower level of required maintenance. In the "Under $3K" category, no single PJ has all of the "desired" features - that unit just doesn't exist. That unit doesn't exist in the "Over $3K" either.

As a matter of fact, my first LCD PJ (made by Sharp) recommended that the air filter be cleaned "before every use". This was a PITA, but that PJ ran for over 6 years without a problem (except for a lamp replacement).

The model that bothers me the most is the Mitsubishi HC4900, which apparently has an inadequate air filter. AVS members that own them seem to have come up with a replacement filter material that does a much better job.

Most LCD PJs can be cleaned by a good blow-out with a can of dry air. In some cases this requires removing the bottom cover to gain access to the light path (the older Panasonics are an excellent example). Many can be cleaned after removing the lamp assembly. Professional cleaning can be done at a factory service center, of course.

ADDENDUM:
Art, I agree with your approach 100%. I prefer to watch and enjoy movies and HDTV on my PJ, whatever model that is. Getting obsessed over the fine nuances and precise measurement variations is a waste of time and has nothing to do with the enjoyment of our hobby. The real problem is that unit to unit variations tend to wash out any measurement parameter that differs by 10% or so. Consequently, my approach is to find equipment (Video and Audio) that has the best combination of performance, reliability, warranty, and price that will work in my LR/HT.

- Claus {non-Santa model}
post #21 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 06:17 AM

Dennis,
I'm not trying to cry wolf, the fact is that I did have a 4900 and it did have dust blobs VERY early in its life. As a matter of fact, as easy as it was to clean it, I broke it trying to remove the dust blobs. Now I'm sure if you've been around you know exactly what to do but not everyone has that kind of 20/20 hind sight (as I did not) so I am now gun-shy about having to deal with it at all.
Also some of us would get the home version (more in our budget) so a 3 year warranty does not apply so I think its valid concern for those of us looking.

I'm not taking anything away from the Epson, I'm just trying to factor in what I need to so that I may enjoy the picture as others here say, especially after I shell out 3k. I did not worry about my black level or anything else, but a large spot during a space movie is something you can not ignore.

An expert at anything was once a beginner...
Founder of the "F-WAF" group.
" WAF?!? F*** WAF! I put in on this house too you know... " =)
post #22 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 07:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steve Dodds View Post

Art,

I completely agreed. Subjective evaluation with screenshots are almost worthless to me. Take example of the blank screen of Epson vs VW-40, you can clearly see that the Sony screenshot is more overexposed than the Epson's one by looking at lower left corner pause symbol which has more glow (more overexposed). I can also point to other screenshots that the reviewer seemed to have tailored them to support his preference.
This is why I rather see more posted measurements such as black level measurement, on/off measurement and ANSI contrast measurement to see if they correlate with the reviewer subjective perception.
post #23 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 09:30 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
I personally enjoy reading Art's "subjective" reviews. As he states, there are plenty of sources of objective measurement-type reviews. But what it really comes down to (for me at least) is what does the picture look like? And for many of us that purchase projectors site unseen, Art's reviews are a valuable resource.

-D
post #24 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 10:13 AM
Advanced Member

asides from dust blobs, i know already how amazing the 1080ub throws out for a picture, and have seen the vw40 and was blown away as well, i have a z3 of course so anything today looks way better, of course my z3 which is an LCD had some issues, particuallry on the 2nd year, blue polarizer failed and then the actual LCD chip was replaced about 2 1/2 years in, the picture quickly deteriorated in the span of about 2 months, i had persisten image issues and then some real burning in started to happen on the bottom right corner where the left corner and center had started to develop a yellowish tint. I took extreme care of the z3 and cleaned it all the time, but i use my pjs as my main tv so it did log some good hours, about 5000 right now, so my question is, would i have to worry about these issues as much if i did go with an LCOS? If i do go LCD i would go with Epson as they do have the ridiculously good warranty, the vw40 i would also get an extended warranty however no overnight replacement there.
post #25 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 10:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post

I personally enjoy reading Art's "subjective" reviews. As he states, there are plenty of sources of objective measurement-type reviews. But what it really comes down to (for me at least) is what does the picture look like? And for many of us that purchase projectors site unseen, Art's reviews are a valuable resource.

-D

I also really like Art's reviews; enough technical details with a good pros/cons section depending upon your viewing environment.

Mark MacLean

Kludge Artist
http://www.maclean.tv
post #26 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 11:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DMILANI View Post

I personally enjoy reading Art's "subjective" reviews. As he states, there are plenty of sources of objective measurement-type reviews.
-D

It is not only about getting measurements, it is about correlating one reviewer's subjective evaluation with objective findings.
You can't use other site's measurements to correlate with another site's subjective evualation since the device in question is not the same (a.k.a sample variation). To make matters worse, most of the supporting screenshots do not support reviewer's claim that the 1080B has darker black with more shadow details and dynamic contrast. Lets see some ANSI and native on/off contrast measurements.
post #27 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 11:52 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 12
Of course, you have the right not to read Art's reviews then if you don't find them useful.

-D
post #28 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 12:10 PM
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by AKuan View Post

It is not only about getting measurements, it is about correlating one reviewer's subjective evaluation with objective findings.
You can't use other site's measurements to correlate with another site's subjective evualation since the device in question is not the same (a.k.a sample variation). To make matters worse, most of the supporting screenshots do not support reviewer's claim that the 1080B has darker black with more shadow details and dynamic contrast. Lets see some ANSI and native on/off contrast measurements.

Well, I warn, in every review, that the images are not great methods of comparing. No digital camera on the market can capture all the range needed for the images to be really useful. However, I don't know how you can say the side by side images of a dark screen on the Epson and VW40 do not show a significant difference in black levels. Shadow detail is much tougher. Without two projectors being exactly the same brightness, even a small difference, will favor the slightly brighter one, since the camera will lose more detail on the slightly darker one.

Again, you'll just have to take my subjective opinions as they are. There are enough of you, also playing with the gear supporting what my conclusions are, (and, I like to think, far fewer who disagree.

As I said, these are my opinions, not facts. I'm more concerned with the "total package" than any one specific area. I could start doing contrast measurements, but then, next, I'd probably get asked to start providing specs to the accuracy of each color - is red pure, or is their some Cyan in the red...

If you find my opinions to be credible, that's great. I don't feel obligated to prove them to you with slew of specs. As I like to say, there are plenty of other reviewers catering to that level of measurement, and objective evaluation, whereas there are far fewer dealing with the subjective. Many print magazines provide a lot of subjective, but they, as a general rule, don't compare projectors, they don't say this is better than that, because... rather they often seem to review a projector in a vacuum, as if it was the only projector in the world. I remember reading about two years ago in one magazine, that reviewed, the Marantz 12S4, and the BenQ 8720 (I think) in the same issue. Not a word in either review about the other projector. After reading both, you had little idea (other than some specs, that mean little to most), to figure out which projector was better.

I favor subjective, and comparative combined. To me the single most important measurement is lumens, because if a consumer screws up the brightness issue - let's say a 130" 1.0 gain screen, with a projector that only does 300 lumens in its best mode, is a huge problem, whereas the slight difference in black levels, between a 1080UB and a Sony VW40 is a minor issue. Next most important, to me is color accuracy, especially since I find that many of the emails I receive, mention that they decided on projector A, over projector B, because A was reported to have excellent color balance "out of the box" while B, could be that good, but needs some level of calibration, and they have no inclination, or interest in getting involved at that level.

As to sample variation, well, doesn't that throw out the entire validity of all reviews in that case. The projector you buy won't be identical in performance to the next projector of that same model, that the next guy gets, and his is different from each of the ones the reviewers have. So, since your unit won't be identical to the one Jason reviewed, which performs slightly differently from the one I review, the one Cine4home reviewed, the one Audioholics reviewed, etc., it sounds like, realizing that, you are looking to "average" the reviews, and the more, the better. Not a bad idea, of course. But, as I said, there are plenty of reviews out there, and lots of "non-pro reviews" from private folks on the thread. How many specs is enough? Can you really not survive without one more set of contrast ratios?

Besides, as we all know, almost no one watches a VW40 or an Epson with the iris'es disengaged!

And on that note, heres some interesting trivia. When I hit pause on my PS3, it puts up a little pause symbol in the lower left corner. If I start with a black screen, some projectors (with their iris engaged) do not react at all, to that small white area, and others do. Translated, in a very dark scene, with one small bright street light, one projector will produce blacker blacks (the one that ignores the light) than the other. The one that ignores it, though will project the pause icon (or the street light) with fewer lumens. Your ANSI contrast specs won't tell you which projector will produce the better black levels on that scene. Have fun! -art

-art

ProjectorReviews.com
post #29 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 12:21 PM
Advanced Member

Anyone?
Quote:
Originally Posted by rmccormack View Post

asides from dust blobs, i know already how amazing the 1080ub throws out for a picture, and have seen the vw40 and was blown away as well, i have a z3 of course so anything today looks way better, of course my z3 which is an LCD had some issues, particuallry on the 2nd year, blue polarizer failed and then the actual LCD chip was replaced about 2 1/2 years in, the picture quickly deteriorated in the span of about 2 months, i had persisten image issues and then some real burning in started to happen on the bottom right corner where the left corner and center had started to develop a yellowish tint. I took extreme care of the z3 and cleaned it all the time, but i use my pjs as my main tv so it did log some good hours, about 5000 right now, so my question is, would i have to worry about these issues as much if i did go with an LCOS? If i do go LCD i would go with Epson as they do have the ridiculously good warranty, the vw40 i would also get an extended warranty however no overnight replacement there.

post #30 of 108 Old 03-10-2008, 01:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by presenter View Post

However, I don't know how you can say the side by side images of a dark screen on the Epson and VW40 do not show a significant difference in black levels.

The Epson looks darker in these two pictures. However, the pause icon on the Sony screenshot is brighter suggesting two possible causes.
1) The Sony screenshot was exposed longer and thus the black level shown is elevated compared to the Epson one. 2) The Sony iris reacted to the bright pause icon and did not choose smallest iris setting in that "blank" screenshot so its black level was not optimum but the bright icon was brighter (eventhough the Sony's is not as bright as the Epson's).
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

User Tag List

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page