5 blinking red lights on IN76 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #1 of 7 Old 06-03-2008, 09:21 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
When I turn on this unit (IN76), it works fine for about a minute. Then the lamp shuts down, the fan continues to run ... and the LED at the power button blinks red 5 times, pauses, then 5 times again, etc. Have to pull the plug to get it to shut down.

Any thoughts on what is wrong?

The manual says it's overheating ... and this projector has 13 hours on it. Does anyone have any experience in solving this overheating problem?

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

JPEG's of my Home Theater.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #2 of 7 Old 06-03-2008, 09:43 AM
AVS Special Member

If your projector only has 13 hours on it I would call InFocus and have them swap it for a new unit.
post #3 of 7 Old 06-03-2008, 09:49 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't think they have any "new" units. And, at this point in this projector's life, I'm not interested in them swapping it out for a refurb ... which is what they love to do.

This was an open box unit from a reseller. I just got it. It's my second IN76. I'm buying it to give my theater some additional life without the necessity of re-ceiling-mounting a different model. The unit looks very clean, its image is perfect and it sounds fine (fan noise).

Obviously, I can send it back to the reseller. But that means I don't have a new backup unit ... and these puppies aren't available anywhere that I can find.

Hank Brown

"Being at the right place at the right time is purely a function of being at the right place a lot."

post #4 of 7 Old 06-03-2008, 09:53 AM
AVS Special Member

I would have the dealer DOA it and get into something else. I know it sucks, but you're either looking at repair or a swap for a refurb if InFocus doesn't have any new units.

EDIT: Before choosing a course of action, contact InFocus and go up the food chain over there to see if they have any new units. If you just purchased it you should be able to get it swapped for a new unit, although it'll take some significant haggling.
post #5 of 7 Old 06-03-2008, 10:03 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

I don't think I've ever called IF without sitting on hold for at least 45 minutes. And God knows I've given them the benefit of the doubt when it comes to being a loyal customer. If I could keep this projector, it would be my 4th unit purchased from them since '04. So I'll give it a day or two. See what the reseller says. And then probably end up sending it back.

Thanks for your thoughts.

Hank Brown

post #6 of 7 Old 06-03-2008, 12:20 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Well, this whole experience has been somewhat disappointing. It was, at least, quite civil. Here's what transpired:

One-Call listed this unit as "Open Box". When I spoke with their salesperson, I made a point of confirming that it was an open box unit with full end-user warranty ... not a refurb. They said it was "new". The first thing I did when it arrived was to visually check the SN to make sure it didn't have RE at the end ... which would have indicated that it was a refurb.

Once the problem became clear (see above), I called IF. got through (to India, I guess) very quickly. That was refreshing ... and I'm sure it was as fast as it was because it was India. Nonetheless, the IF support person was very helpful. She told me that the unit had already been sold to an end-user, had been returned to the factory for service ... and, most importantly, its warranty had expired last month. Whoa!

So I called One-Call back and am now returning the unit to them. Had to press them on paying the return freight ... but they had told me at sale that they would do that if necessary.

Nice try.

Hank Brown

post #7 of 7 Old 06-03-2008, 12:27 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by hconwell View Post

Well, this whole experience has been somewhat disappointing. Is was, at least, quite civil. Here's what transpired:

One-Call listed this unit as "Open Box". When I spoke with their salesperson, I made a point of confirming that it was an open box unit with full end-user warranty ... not a refurb. They said it was "new". The first thing I did when it arrived was to visually check the SN to make sure it didn't have RE at the end ... which would have indicated that it was a refurb.

Once the problem became clear (see above), I called IF. got through (to India, I guess) very quickly. That was refreshing ... and I'm sure it was as fast as it was because it was India. Nonetheless, the IF support person was very helpful. She told me that the unit had already been sold to an end-user, had been returned to the factory for service ... and, most importantly, its warranty had expired last month. Whoa!

So I called One-Call back and am now returning the unit to them. Had to press them on paying the return freight ... but they had told me at sale that they would do that if necessary.

Nice try.

Wow! What a shady company. There's no way they can honestly call that a like-new "open box" unit. There's got to be a law against selling a refurb as an open-box unit.
Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page