Originally Posted by mbroder
What's a guy gotta do to bust this thing short of hitting it with a hammer???
Read the safety manual. Search for the part where it states that if you use the bulb past the recommended limit, it might suddenly break, spreading harmful mercury vapors and glass bits all over the room, poisoning human beings and scaring cats. Once you have found that part, read it to your wife.
From page 3 of the manual:
"In the unlikely event of the lamp rupturing, discard any edible items placed in the surrounding area and thoroughly clean the area along all
sides of the projector. Wash hands after cleaning the area and handling the ruptured lamp. This product has a lamp which contains a very
small amount of mercury. Dispose of it as required by local, state or federal ordinances and regulations. For more information see"
From page 41:
"The lamp hours used timer in the About menu counts the number of hours the lamp has been in use. Twenty hours before the lamp life expires, the message “Change lamp” appears on the screen at startup. If the maximum lamp time is exceeded, the lamp will not light."
It's not as tragic as I expected... Newer projectors have more drastic warnings.