It Just Won't Die!! - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

Old 06-09-2008, 03:10 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 2 Post(s)
Liked: 17
I now have over 4000 hours on my 4805 with the original bulb and the wife won't let me upgrade until the damn thing dies!!! I want to get a 1080p, but she thinks it looks fine the way it is . What's a guy gotta do to bust this thing short of hitting it with a hammer???
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

Old 06-09-2008, 03:16 PM
jay

Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 11
That's funny because there's been a lot post lately about the 4805 going out.. I guess your one of the lucky ones! which is unlucky for you!
Old 06-09-2008, 05:50 PM

Liked: 10
I have a bulb that does not work anymore! I will gladly swap with you
Old 06-09-2008, 06:12 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by mbroder View Post

I now have over 4000 hours on my 4805 with the original bulb and the wife won't let me upgrade until the damn thing dies!!! I want to get a 1080p, but she thinks it looks fine the way it is . What's a guy gotta do to bust this thing short of hitting it with a hammer???

You might try bribing her... like a trip to Paris in exchange for a new projector...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:23 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by ryllo View Post

I have a bulb that does not work anymore! I will gladly swap with you

LOL
Old 06-09-2008, 06:27 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

She has noticed that it's not as bright as it used to be, but she says she can live with it until it blows.

I, of course told her it's not worth replacing the bulb and that projectors these days are disposable . I think she bought it...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Quote:

What's a guy gotta do to bust this thing short of hitting it with a hammer???

Read the safety manual. Search for the part where it states that if you use the bulb past the recommended limit, it might suddenly break, spreading harmful mercury vapors and glass bits all over the room, poisoning human beings and scaring cats. Once you have found that part, read it to your wife.

Update:
From page 3 of the manual:
"In the unlikely event of the lamp rupturing, discard any edible items placed in the surrounding area and thoroughly clean the area along all
sides of the projector. Wash hands after cleaning the area and handling the ruptured lamp. This product has a lamp which contains a very
small amount of mercury. Dispose of it as required by local, state or federal ordinances and regulations. For more information see"

From page 41:
"The lamp hours used timer in the About menu counts the number of hours the lamp has been in use. Twenty hours before the lamp life expires, the message “Change lamp” appears on the screen at startup. If the maximum lamp time is exceeded, the lamp will not light."

It's not as tragic as I expected... Newer projectors have more drastic warnings.

-Miguel Lescano
Old 06-09-2008, 06:29 PM

My 4805 has over 4200 hrs. I haven't used it since I've gotten the HC1500. The bulb just wouldn't quit. So I just upgraded to the 720p, I'm glad I did. My friend wants to buy it from me but I want to hold on to it for some reason. It was my first projector you know. Hard to let it go even though it's a 480p.
Old 06-09-2008, 06:31 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadorian View Post

Read the safety manual. Search for the part where it states that if you use the bulb past the recommended limit, it might suddenly break, spreading harmful mercury vapors and glass bits all over the room, poisoning human beings and scaring cats. Once you have found that part, read it to your wife.

Hmmmm!!! You might be onto something...
Old 06-09-2008, 06:34 PM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by Basilisk View Post

My 4805 has over 4200 hrs. I haven't used it since I've gotten the HC1500. The bulb just wouldn't quit. So I just upgraded to the 720p, I'm glad I did. My friend wants to buy it from me but I want to hold on to it for some reason. It was my first projector you know. Hard to let it go even though it's a 480p.

How much of an improvement is the HC1500 over the 4805? Is it just the resolution? Or is the brightness, contrast, fan noise improved as well?
Old 06-09-2008, 07:31 PM

Turn it on and off repeatedly, that should kill the bulb pretty quick.
Old 06-09-2008, 07:36 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Quoted: 60 Post(s)
Liked: 81
Quote:
Originally Posted by Ecuadorian View Post

I thought about this angle too, but figured if he scares her too much about the lamps then she might not want to have front projection with lamps at all.
Quote:
Originally Posted by nobi125 View Post

Turn it on and off repeatedly, that should kill the bulb pretty quick.

Unplugging it so that the fan doesn't get a chance to cool the lamp, then plugging it in and trying to start it is probably a good way to put some damage on it. I've read that trying to strike a hot lamp is one of the worst things for it.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
Old 06-09-2008, 08:49 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 20
Quote:
Originally Posted by darinp2 View Post

Unplugging it so that the fan doesn't get a chance to cool the lamp, then plugging it in and trying to start it is probably a good way to put some damage on it. I've read that trying to strike a hot lamp is one of the worst things for it.

--Darin

Actually, it was determined that the fan was running too long on the SP4805 so unplugging it is actually better for it than running the fan for 5 minutes.

HOWEVER, I did hear just like you did that restriking the lamp right after shutdown is not a healthy behavior.
Old 06-09-2008, 08:55 PM

You could also convince your wife of giving away the 4805 (to somebody who can buy it a new bulb when it dies).

Or just suck the life out of it by using it as your main TV until it dies.

By the way, Will it blend? That is the question.

-Miguel Lescano
Old 06-10-2008, 10:06 AM
AVS Special Member

When she's not at home, just take the bulb out. Then, the next time you turn it on, it won't light. Tell her "Looks like it's a Bulb issue". Take it down, when she's not home, but the bulb back in, sell it on ebay and use that money towards a new PJ.

Tony
Old 06-10-2008, 03:25 PM

Quote:

How much of an improvement is the HC1500 over the 4805? Is it just the resolution? Or is the brightness, contrast, fan noise improved as well?

A big improvement in brightness and sharpness. The fan will be very silent compared to the 4805. A large majority of 4805 owners have moved up to the HC1500. It will not disappoint.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tonybradley View Post

When she's not at home, just take the bulb out. Then, the next time you turn it on, it won't light. Tell her "Looks like it's a Bulb issue". Take it down, when she's not home, but the bulb back in, sell it on ebay and use that money towards a new PJ.

I vote for this idea, too many of us are dying to get an entry level projector to see a perfectly good one be destroyed! ( ' ;
Old 06-12-2008, 08:46 AM

why don't you just sell it .You'll probably make some nice jingle for the next one it is hard for a woman to argue with that if you get alot of your initial investment back (granted you got it for about 500 with the rebate) and all of those hours of pleasure who knows you might be able to get half of your money back
Old 06-12-2008, 09:38 AM - Thread Starter
Advanced Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by kongone View Post

why don't you just sell it .You'll probably make some nice jingle for the next one it is hard for a woman to argue with that if you get alot of your initial investment back (granted you got it for about 500 with the rebate) and all of those hours of pleasure who knows you might be able to get half of your money back

I actually bought mine the day it was released online from Crutchfield almost exactly 4 years ago. I paid $1500. If you look back at the archived posts fom the 1st official 4805 thread, you will see my reviews. I certainly feel that I got my money's worth.

I've converted many of my friends to front projection after they have seen my theater setup. And aside from a color wheel issue I had when it was still under warranty, it has been virtually trouble free. My wife feels I should just run it til it dies and then replace it. If it lasts another year, maybe I can get into a good 1080p for less than I paid for the 4805. I think she is probably right, even though I have the itch to replace it now. I don't want to spend over 2k for a new projector, and I don't want to feel the urge to upgrade 1 year from now either.

Ultimately, I will probably let it die a slow, painful death instead of trying to put it out of it's misery.

Thanks to all of you for your sneaky and unethical ideas .
Old 06-12-2008, 04:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Interesting "problem".

My suggestion is to upgrade to a nice new 1080p of your liking and put your well loved 4805 in the closet for future use. Your next PJ may not be quite as reliable, and it is always nice to have a backup PJ ready to use if you need to send your new unit out for repair.

I doubt you will get much selling it.

Good luck whatever you decide on.

I want a Masquerade.
Old 06-12-2008, 04:50 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

I actually bought mine the day it was released online from Crutchfield almost exactly 4 years ago. I paid $1500. If you look back at the archived posts fom the 1st official 4805 thread, you will see my reviews. I certainly feel that I got my money's worth.

I've converted many of my friends to front projection after they have seen my theater setup. And aside from a color wheel issue I had when it was still under warranty, it has been virtually trouble free. My wife feels I should just run it til it dies and then replace it. If it lasts another year, maybe I can get into a good 1080p for less than I paid for the 4805. I think she is probably right, even though I have the itch to replace it now. I don't want to spend over 2k for a new projector, and I don't want to feel the urge to upgrade 1 year from now either.

Ultimately, I will probably let it die a slow, painful death instead of trying to put it out of it's misery.

Thanks to all of you for your sneaky and unethical ideas .

Have any of your converted friends upgraded their projector to 1080? If you have one may be you can persuade him to "lend" his projector to audition... it might convince your wife to upgrade.
Old 06-12-2008, 05:03 PM

Ummm well since this subject has come up....let say a certain person bought a 2 yr warranty with his Hc1500 that covers the bulb as well....let's say it starts getting close to that 2 year mark.....is there any way to make that buld go out for sure (which would be tragic) ??? instead of just unplugging it while hot?.......just curious LOL
Old 06-12-2008, 06:34 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 52
yeah I told myself I would wait till my bulb blows/dims in my 8 year old projector before upgrading to 1080p. my reason is because I know my current projector is so old it would be basically worthless on the used market so I figured I would get the most out of it. Well I'm at 2600+ hrs and still waiting. My last bulb went dim at 1500 hrs...If it doesn't go by the Fall then i'm not waiting any more.

PSN: UndeadREDD

My Racing Seat

Old 06-13-2008, 08:37 AM

I would just buy a new projector from a place that will let you send it back (minus a restocking fee of course). Tell the wife you just wanted to see the difference before you committed to a new projector. Once she sees the difference she will let you keep it.
Old 06-13-2008, 09:38 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by riffman2525 View Post

Ummm well since this subject has come up....let say a certain person bought a 2 yr warranty with his Hc1500 that covers the bulb as well....let's say it starts getting close to that 2 year mark.....is there any way to make that buld go out for sure (which would be tragic) ??? instead of just unplugging it while hot?.......just curious LOL

Smash it?
Old 06-13-2008, 06:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TF Ghost View Post

Smash it?

Well I would hate to completely destroy it lol. I just want a new bulb.