Mitsubishi 5500 $2,499MSP - Page 10 - AVS Forum
Forum Jump: 

post #271 of 2411 Old 07-26-2008, 05:45 PM
Moe

Mentioned: 0 Post(s)
Tagged: 0 Thread(s)
Quoted: 0 Post(s)
Liked: 10
Well, I bit the bullet and just placed my order. Hopefully I will have it by next weekend. I will let everyone know my impressions.
Sponsored Links
Advertisement

post #272 of 2411 Old 07-26-2008, 06:35 PM
Moe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Gotdablus View Post

Anyone else with this projector....does the lamp life counter go way to fast or is it just me. I'll turn a 2 hour movie on at 72 hour lamp life and when I turn it off after the movie its already at 79 hours? What going on here?

I don't know if this is the case with your projector or not but I was just reading through the manual and noticed this:

"This item shows a lamp operating time (hour) calculated based on that LAMP MODE is LOW. When the LAMP MODE is STANDARD, this item shows a longer lamp operating time than the actual time."

Could that explain why explain why you are seeing more hours than you actually used?
post #273 of 2411 Old 07-26-2008, 07:59 PM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Moe View Post

I don't know if this is the case with your projector or not but I was just reading through the manual and noticed this:

"This item shows a lamp operating time (hour) calculated based on that LAMP MODE is LOW. When the LAMP MODE is STANDARD, this item shows a longer lamp operating time than the actual time."

Could that explain why explain why you are seeing more hours than you actually used?

Given that I would assume 1 hour in standard (i.e., bright) lamp mode equals 2.5 hours on the counter since the rated life is 5000 hrs. in low mode vs. 2000 in normal (i.e. a factor of 2.5).

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #274 of 2411 Old 07-27-2008, 04:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 1 Post(s)
Liked: 28
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wyxe View Post

I'm starting to zero in on this projector. I need to figure out where to mount this as I'm fininshing my basement and am pulling wire right now and I'm not sure what the manual is telling me. What is an optimal mounting distance from the wall for this pj for a 16:9 screen between 100" and 120"? Thanks in advance if anyone can answer.

Edit: I'm either going to need a high screen or a long ceiling mount since I have 9' ceilings in my basment.

Try using THIS TOOL to help with your calculations. My issue is the vaulted ceiling because the the projector will be mounted about 7 ft at the low end of the ceiling and the top of the screen will be at about 8.5 ft. at the high end. Right now I have an IN72 which is tilted up (which is actually down and level with the slope of the ceiling) and has zero keystone with minimal adjustment. I'm really curious as to how this will pair up. Plus I would be increasing the screen size and should mention that lens would (currently is) be approximately at the center of the screen when mounted. If anyone has this ceiling mounted, please post input/results here. I have to ceiling mount it as there is no other option for my setup.

8/30/2013 - Time Warner Liberation Day!
post #275 of 2411 Old 07-27-2008, 12:17 PM
Advanced Member

Does anyone have one of these that also has seen a Marantz VP4001/Sharp X-VZ3K/DT-500/510? Just curious.

Thanks.
post #276 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 08:29 AM

Hello, does the HC5500 projector contain Darkchip 4??
post #277 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 08:51 AM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmoss1 View Post

Hello, does the HC5500 projector contain Darkchip 4??

Are you referring to Texas Instrumnets? The HC5500 uses the Silicon Optix Reon HQV current gen chip for scaling and de-interlacing.

HERE is the info on it.

More info and demos of the HQV can be found HERE.

post #278 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 09:01 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 22
Darkchip 4 is usually referring to TI's DLP technology; this one is using Epson's LCD panels - not sure D6 or D7.
post #279 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 09:14 AM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 29
Is this projector for me?

Lots of gaming
Lots of movies
7.5 foot ceiling(have to ceiling mount)
would like to watch sports with the lights on(dimmed down of course)
what are the alternatives to this PJ for the same or lower price?

Alcohol. The cause of and solution to all of life's problems.
post #280 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 09:18 AM

Ahh, well hopefully it is D7 as in the Panasonic AE2000u and the epson 1080ub create some intense competition.

"Is this projector for me?

Lots of gaming
Lots of movies
7.5 foot ceiling(have to ceiling mount)
would like to watch sports with the lights on(dimmed down of course)
what are the alternatives to this PJ for the same or lower price?"

5000 hours this thing should last through and out for you.
post #281 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 10:22 AM

hello

it uses the d6 panels. i don't think that should make any difference in if people buy this or not, its a very good product.
post #282 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 02:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Liked: 11
Quote:
Originally Posted by tvyankee View Post

hello

it uses the d6 panels. i don't think that should make any difference in if people buy this or not, its a very good product.

Where did you obtain this information??

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
The Barn - Use Password = AVSForum
post #283 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 03:28 PM

from a sales manger for mitsu.
post #284 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 03:30 PM
AVS Special Member

I concur. I don't think anyone would be able to visually spot the difference in panels with the naked eye and maybe using that gen of panel is what helped keep the cost so reasonable.

post #285 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 04:29 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by tvyankee View Post

from a sales manger for mitsu.

One of the "issues" with the 5500 is that Mits has not published which panels are being used... it has been speculated that because Mits has been "mum" on the issue that they are "probably" using the D6 panels... many had thought that if they were using the new D7 panels that Mits would have definitely included that information as a sales point.

Personally due to longevity issues I personally would not be interested in an LCD projector without the D7 panels... but that is just me.

There are just two theories for successfully quarreling with a woman -- neither one works!
post #286 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 06:09 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Liked: 50
Personally due to longevity issues I personally would not be interested in an LCD projector without the D7 panels... but that is just me.

I'm new to front projectors. Could you explain what you mean by "longevity issues?" What is the difference between D6 and D7 panels?

post #287 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 06:53 PM
AVS Special Member

The D6 panels are made of an "organic" material vs. the D7's "inorganic."

The organic panels degrade due to light and heat exposure over time.... this was one of the reasons for the design change to the D7 panel. LCD's were known to have issues with the LCD panels and polarizers degrading. The D7 panel "should" help the former... not sure what is being done to work on the later.

post #288 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 07:28 PM

Quoted: 4 Post(s)
Quote:
Originally Posted by HiHoStevo View Post

The D6 panels are made of an "organic" material vs. the D7's "inorganic."

The organic panels degrade due to light and heat exposure over time.... this was one of the reasons for the design change to the D7 panel. LCD's were known to have issues with the LCD panels and polarizers degrading. The D7 panel "should" help the former... not sure what is being done to work on the later.

Incorrect
post #289 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 08:10 PM
AVS Special Member

Quoted: 42 Post(s)
Liked: 234
Quote:

One of the "issues" with the 5500 is that Mits has not published which panels are being used... it has been speculated that because Mits has been "mum" on the issue that they are "probably" using the D6 panels... many had thought that if they were using the new D7 panels that Mits would have definitely included that information as a sales point.

I thought this was a FUD free forum

http://mitsubishi-presentations.com/...rs/HC5500.html

New LCD Projector Technology

The HC5500 HD projector is built with an advanced inorganic LCD panel and improved liquid crystal panel cooling efficiency. The result is an LCD panel that not only projects the sharpest images, but is rated to last ten times as long as conventional organic LCD panels.

Killer blacks w/ auto iris (same as the HC6000), even color tone across entire image, Reon HQV for $2195 street.

just watched Batman Begins, fantastic.
post #290 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 08:28 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by IndianaGeorge View Post

Incorrect

Really..........

http://discuss.extremetech.com/forum...320442001.aspx

"Conclusion
Manufacturers recognize that the organic compounds in LCD panels and polarizers are susceptible to high heat and light energy stress, and will eventually break down if deployed in high stress environments" ... Projector Central (these guys love LCD's as they see rainbows on DLP technology)

George you obviously have not spent a lot of time reading on the various LCD projector forums for the past number of years. Whether or not an individual will see this degradation is completely dependant on how long you keep and how often you run your LCD projector. Up until the introduction of the D7 panels (which have not existed long enough for anyone to know if they will fix the problem or not) ALL organic LCD panels and polarizers will "eventually" degrade... how long depends on the time used and environment they are used in.

For many folks in this hobby it does not matter because "upgrade-itis" will come first....

post #291 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 08:35 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:
Originally Posted by zombie10k View Post

I thought this was a FUD free forum

http://mitsubishi-presentations.com/...rs/HC5500.html

New LCD Projector Technology

The HC5500 HD projector is built with an advanced inorganic LCD panel and improved liquid crystal panel cooling efficiency. The result is an LCD panel that not only projects the sharpest images, but is rated to last ten times as long as conventional organic LCD panels.

Killer blacks w/ auto iris (same as the HC6000), even color tone across entire image, Reon HQV for $2195 street.

just watched Batman Begins, fantastic.

No FUD...... "just the facts maa'm"

This is the first mention I have seen of the 5500 using the "inorganic" panels... which would be the D7. A couple of posts up the poster claims to have been told that the 5500 was using the D6 (which is organic) panel.

I have seen the question asked at least a dozen times as to which panel the 5500 was using... but this is the first actual quote that would indicate that the 5500 is using the D7 panel that I have seen or heard of.

I would not waste my time reading this thread if I was not interested.... I do not have the time or energy for FUD games.

post #292 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 08:46 PM
AVS Special Member

Quote:

No FUD...... "just the facts maa'm"

This is the first mention I have seen of the 5500 using the "inorganic" panels... which would be the D7. A couple of posts up the poster claims to have been told that the 5500 was using the D6 (which is organic) panel.

I have seen the question asked at least a dozen times as to which panel the 5500 was using... but this is the first actual quote that would indicate that the 5500 is using the D7 panel that I have seen or heard of.

I would not waste my time reading this thread if I was not interested.... I do not have the time or energy for FUD games.

These are the 'facts'? I see plenty of speculation and hearsay..

Quote:

Personally due to longevity issues I personally would not be interested in an LCD projector without the D7 panels... but that is just me

you didn't even take the time to read their basic spec sheet on this model, please stop spoiling this fine projector for those that may actually be interested in purchasing / enjoying it.
post #293 of 2411 Old 07-28-2008, 10:55 PM
AVS Addicted Member

Liked: 43
Quote:

This is the first mention I have seen of the 5500 using the "inorganic" panels... which would be the D7.

I haven't kept up on which panels are using organic vs inorganic, but Mitsubishi's page for the HC4900 also mentions inorganic:

http://mitsubishi-presentations.com/...s/HC4900U.html
Quote:

This projector features a new-generation of true HD (1920X1080) resolution, C²Fine inorganic LCD panel. Inorganic LCD components extend the life of your high definition projector and produce a more robust picture with smooth transitions and fast response.

Even the XL650U that they reportedly started shipping back in December of 2006 and is discontinued says it is using new inorganic panels according to their PDF for it.

The PDF on their page for the HC5000 (started shipping around October of 2006) says:
Quote:

High Definition (1920x1080) Equipped with the latest of new generation liquid crystal panel (C2 Fine™)*
The C2 Fine™ new-generation LCD panel with inorganic orientation film shows the richest blacks and vividly colored, high definition images over a longer period because the life of the inorganic orientation film in the new C2 Fine panels is rated to last approximately 10 times longer than conventional organic orientation film.

--Darin

This is the AV Science Forum. Please don't be gullible and please do remember the saying, "Fool me once, shame on you. Fool me twice, shame on me."
post #294 of 2411 Old 07-29-2008, 12:30 AM

Quote:

A couple of posts up the poster claims to have been told that the 5500 was using the D6 (which is organic) panel.

No, the D6 is also inorganic. The last organic panel was the D5 with a resolution of 1280 * 720.
post #295 of 2411 Old 07-29-2008, 12:45 AM
AVS Special Member

Apparently I am incorrect about whether or not the D6 is organic or inorganic... although my understanding was that the D7 was the first of the inorganics... however, that information appears to be incorrect. If you read Epsons statement about the difference between the new inorganic panels and the earlier organic panels (last 10 times longer) you understand my concern.

It is a scientific fact that the organic panels degrade over time... this is not speculation, fear, doubt, or any type of intimidation.

I am looking for an upgrade path to replace both of my 720p projectors as well as one for a neighbor and am simply trying to get to the truth.

Every new projector goes through a "honeymoon" period when it is new and all the new owners are shouting it's praises. Heck every projector I have owned for the last 10 years has been "wonderful." It's just that they keep getting "more" wonderful and cheaper as time goes by... which is great by me!

However, I don't think it inappropriate to try and see beyond the hype of an initial release to try and discover a projectors strengths and weaknesses.

Darin & Alex you are correct... the D6 panel was inorganic... I apologize my information was obviously dated!

"The new panels combine high contrast, smooth images, and black color reproduction of C2 Fine panels with the advantages of the hybrid driving technology (both internal and external drivers can be utilized) used in previous panels. The new panel features can be summarized as follows:
  1. A 20% improvement in aperture ratio compared to the previous model of the same size.
  2. Improved color reproduction by using a 12-bit LCD driver.
  3. Improved noise immunity by using a Mini-LVDS interface.
Benefits for manufacturers of projection products
  • Offers enhanced luminance with the same lamp.
  • Enables use of a lower-watt lamp to achieve the same luminance (reduced power consumption).
New panel specifications

Existing L3C07U-75G00
LCD type
C2FINE (VA inorganic alignment layer)
Effective pixels
1920 x 1080 (1080p)
Panel size (diagonal)
0.7 inch (1.9 cm)
Pixel pitch
8.5 µm
Aperture ratio
43%
LCD driver
10 bit
Video signal transmission
CMOS
LCD driver type
Hybrid
Process Technology
Existing Type (D6)

Newly-developed L3C07U-85G10 C2FINE (VA inorganic alignment layer)
Effective pixels 1920 x 1080 (1080p)
Panel size (diagonal) 0.7 inch (1.9 cm)
Pixel pitch 8.5 µm
Aperture ratio 52%
LCD driver 12 bit
Video signal transmission Mini-LVDS
LCD driver type Hybrid
Process Technology (D7)"

post #296 of 2411 Old 07-29-2008, 01:03 AM
AVS Special Member

so will this zoom ratio of 1.2 work with an anamorphic lens? Most lens manufacturers say no less then 1.6

Silence is overrated!
post #297 of 2411 Old 07-29-2008, 02:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by adidadi View Post

so will this zoom ratio of 1.2 work with an anamorphic lens? Most lens manufacturers say no less then 1.6

I'm no expert, but I think you may be confusing zoom ratio with throw ratio. With an anamorphic lens, you want to stay toward the longer side of the throw ratio or the geometric distortion starts to become more and more noticeable. I know Panamorph for instance recommends a minimum throw ratio of 1.65. This value may differ from lens to lens or manufacturer to manufacturer.

The requirement for a zoom ratio of 1.6 or greater is for those planning to use the non-lens method for viewing 2.35 AR content full screen. In this case you need enough zoom so that you can hit your desired AR's without having to move the projector physically.

All of this being said, the HC5500 has a throw ratio range of 1.46 to 1.77, so it's possible to use it with an anamorphic lens, but it may not be optimal. A curved screen would likely be quite helpful with this projector in this instance. The low zoom ratio of 1.2 however is not likely to be good enough to use the zoom method for viewing 2.35 content full screen.

At least this is my understanding, and I'm sure someone will correct anything I have wrong.
post #298 of 2411 Old 07-29-2008, 05:07 AM
AVS Special Member

I am getting some parts together for the DIY lens. It's worth a few $$ and some time to see how well it will work. It does a great job at the verticle stretch on HDMI sources.
post #299 of 2411 Old 07-29-2008, 08:00 AM
AVS Special Member

Mentioned: 2 Post(s)
Quoted: 36 Post(s)
Liked: 95
Quote:
Originally Posted by Papajin View Post

I'm no expert, but I think you may be confusing zoom ratio with throw ratio. With an anamorphic lens, you want to stay toward the longer side of the throw ratio or the geometric distortion starts to become more and more noticeable. I know Panamorph for instance recommends a minimum throw ratio of 1.65. This value may differ from lens to lens or manufacturer to manufacturer.

The requirement for a zoom ratio of 1.6 or greater is for those planning to use the non-lens method for viewing 2.35 AR content full screen. In this case you need enough zoom so that you can hit your desired AR's without having to move the projector physically.

All of this being said, the HC5500 has a throw ratio range of 1.46 to 1.77, so it's possible to use it with an anamorphic lens, but it may not be optimal. A curved screen would likely be quite helpful with this projector in this instance. The low zoom ratio of 1.2 however is not likely to be good enough to use the zoom method for viewing 2.35 content full screen.

At least this is my understanding, and I'm sure someone will correct anything I have wrong.

You are correct that you cannot use the zoom method to display both 2.35 and 1.78 images with the Mits 5500 since it doesn't have enough zoom range. Specifically, if you were to mount a projector as near the sceen as possible to fill the full width of a 2.35 screen when the zoom is set to the widest setting, you would need a 1.32 zoom ratio to then zoom in to only fill the width for a 1.78 image. That is 2.35/1.78=1.32. However if the projector-to-screen distance were not at the asolute minimum possible then a lens with an ever larger zoom ratio to cover both formats.

Ron Jones

Ron Jones
Blog + Reviews + Articles: projectorreviews.com
post #300 of 2411 Old 07-29-2008, 08:16 AM
AVS Special Member

The aspect ratio doesn't concern me. Last night I watched a couple movies on the trusty ol' IN72. Juno at 1:85:1 which filled full screen at 16x9 and Be Kind Rewind at 2:35:1 which left black bars at the top and bottom. Personally it doesn't distract at at from the movie as I get too immersed in the film if it's good and Be Kind Rewind was a good watch. Sure, if I had the money I'd probably get a masking system, but as it stands, I don't really mind. As long as the projector has solid black levels, this particular aspect ratio debate doesn't concern me. I can however, appreciate the input and views from others who it does concern.

Reply Digital Projectors - Under $3,000 USD MSRP

Tags
Mitsubishi Hc5500 1080p Lcd Home Theater Projector
Gear in this thread

Show Printable Version Show Printable Version
Email this Page Email this Page